New Cadet Programs Specialty Track Pamphlet P216 published

Started by paul83814, January 23, 2014, 05:40:38 PM

paul83814

Paul Brand, Capt CAP
Personnel & Admin Officer, IT Officer, Asst. Comm. Officer
Coeur d Alene Composite Squadron

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." --William Wordsworth

abdsp51

WTH!!!  This has just set me back for my senior rating..... Who decided these additional requirements?

a2capt

Oh well, so much for that master rating. I was just waiting for time to roll out before submitting for it.

Alaric

When they did away with the DDR Specialty track they rolled many DDR based requirements into CP

a2capt

I wonder if there's a window of opportunity to have it against the prior publication.

abdsp51

I've pinged NHQ on this.  And if there is no recourse then I'll be engaging my Sq CC and Area CC about it.  IMO those enrolled in this track should be grandfathered with the old curriculum.

THRAWN

Seconded. It's not a good retention tool to have a member inches away from a senior or master rating in one of the core missions, and then be told that there is more to be done. A lot more. When did DDR become such a huge part of this, and why?

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 23, 2014, 07:43:23 PM
I've pinged NHQ on this.  And if there is no recourse then I'll be engaging my Sq CC and Area CC about it.  IMO those enrolled in this track should be grandfathered with the old curriculum.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on January 23, 2014, 07:54:07 PMWhen did DDR become such a huge part of this, and why?

DDR has been all but ignored in many wings for years, I suppose this is a way to force the issue by more tightly weaving it into the CP.

Personally, I think it's reasonable to be able to use the old pamphlet for a set period of time, but not for more then one click up.

On the whole, this is a much more cadet-centric spin on the specialty track, the old rev was focused mainly on the administraivia of
the CP, this requires actual interaction.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2014, 08:31:08 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on January 23, 2014, 07:54:07 PMWhen did DDR become such a huge part of this, and why?

DDR has been all but ignored in many wings for years, I suppose this is a way to force the issue by more tightly weaving it into the CP.

Personally, I think it's reasonable to be able to use the old pamphlet for a set period of time, but not for more then one click up.

On the whole, this is a much more cadet-centric spin on the specialty track, the old rev was focused mainly on the administraivia of
the CP, this requires actual interaction.

Nothing wrong with that until you screw people over who are close to fulfilling the requirements.  According to NHQ this was prematurely publushed...

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 23, 2014, 08:43:24 PMNothing wrong with that until you screw people over who are close to fulfilling the requirements.  According to NHQ this was prematurely publushed...

That's why I said 1-click.  Anyone reasonably close can get it done, then move into the new expectations for the next level, back-filling
anything not done.

Programs change, and the tracks have to reflect that.  We complain all the time that the curriculum isn't keeping up, well, this is the other side of that.
No matter where you make the cut off there's always someone who is "this close".

There really should be a phase-in, though.  We all know there's probably a fair number of members who have completed a given level and just haven't
gotten around to entering things.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2014, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on January 23, 2014, 08:43:24 PMNothing wrong with that until you screw people over who are close to fulfilling the requirements.  According to NHQ this was prematurely publushed...

That's why I said 1-click.  Anyone reasonably close can get it done, then move into the new expectations for the next level, back-filling
anything not done.

Programs change, and the tracks have to reflect that.  We complain all the time that the curriculum isn't keeping up, well, this is the other side of that.
No matter where you make the cut off there's always someone who is "this close".

There really should be a phase-in, though.  We all know there's probably a fair number of members who have completed a given level and just haven't
gotten around to entering things.

Yup, but how about members who need items that are out of their control? 

dwb

The pamphlet references online DDR exams that don't exist yet (or didn't when I was looking for them yesterday).

If you're well in to meeting the specialty track requirements under the old pamphlet, I would continue to work towards those. Nearly everything else related to CP has overlap times, where you can complete your work under the "old system" if you're already in progress. I expect you'll hear something similar with this.

No E-mail blast to the DCPs yet, but I don't think it'll be long before we get an update. Methinks a little patience will go a long way on this one.

a2capt

Prematurely published?

Someone had to put the date on it, press the button, add the file to the stupid SiteVis CMS, and publish it. That takes a lot of positive intent.

On top of all that, a draft-level graphic on the cover. ;)

abdsp51

I have the email traffic stating such.  And what I have says further guideance next week will be out.

Майор Хаткевич

Hope so...just a Great Start away from my senior rating...

abdsp51

Hopefully they'll grandfather those pursuing the specialty track before yesterday. 

LSThiker

Quote from: dwb on January 23, 2014, 08:59:52 PM
The pamphlet references online DDR exams that don't exist yet (or didn't when I was looking for them yesterday).

I remember when the June 2003 CAPP 216 was released.  It referenced having to take TLC, but it was not until sometime in 2004 or 2005 when the curriculum was released.

abdsp51

HGjunkie

I thought it was interesting how the Master level references advantages/disadvantages of chartering with BSA units. Is there even a unit in CAP today that does that?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 24, 2014, 01:07:19 AM
I thought it was interesting how the Master level references advantages/disadvantages of chartering with BSA units. Is there even a unit in CAP today that does that?

Yes, a number of them.  The issue is that unless the local BSA unit has a resource CAP needs access to, there's really not much point and
a lot of pitfalls and downside.

"That Others May Zoom"