Main Menu

It's finally here!

Started by Storm Chaser, December 31, 2013, 06:25:47 PM

pierson777

These paragraphs state that, "Command insignia is worn only by officers." 

Can someone tell if there is a regulation that requires commanders to be officers.  May a NCO serve as squadron commander or group commander and retain their NCO rank.

SarDragon

Just as a matter of curiosity, are you going to post all 27 pages here? At this point, I think it's just preaching to the choir, since there's nothing any of us can do any more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pierson777

The all weather coat is not listed as an option for the BDU.  It was previously authorized with the BDU (both in CAP and USAF).  It should still be authorized for the BDU, so it should be listed in this paragraph.

Someone earlier in this topic mentioned that there wasn't a good outergarment to wear with the BDU in cold weather.  I regularly wore the all weather coat, thermal underwear, earmuffs, scarfs, and gloves with my USAF BDU when I was in an extremely cold environement. 

Many folks in CAP and USAF never knew that you could wear the all weather coat with the BDUs.  I was even called out occasionally by Captains and Majors in USAF when I wore the all weather coat with my USAF uniform.  I had to carry a copy of the AFI 36-2903 in my coat pocket just to prove that I was allowed to wear the coat with the BDU.

pierson777

Quote from: SarDragon on February 17, 2014, 06:58:17 AM
Just as a matter of curiosity, are you going to post all 27 pages here? At this point, I think it's just preaching to the choir, since there's nothing any of us can do any more.

No, Sir.  I don't want to bore you all with all 27 pages since so many of those were filled with examples of typos, disagreements, grammar, punctuation, etc.  I'm merely posting some of my ideas that I had that I felt strongly about. 

I don't really expect anything written here, by anyone, at anytime to influence the final version of CAPM 39-1, but I do think we can share our thoughts.  I put a lot of thought, effort, and time into my review of the manual.  I welcome any civilized feedback regarding my ideas, especially if anyone thinks my ideas are wrong.  It's possible that I may have misunderstood the text or one of the ideas doesn't work for some reason; some reason other than you just don't like it.

Lastly, as I said before, I haven't posted in a few years, so I guess I'm catching up in one night.

pierson777

6.1.8 Blue Flight Jacket
This paragraph says that the only items worn on the blue flight jacket are the nametag, CAP command patch, and rank insignia.  No other badges or patches will be worn on this jacket. The previous manual allowed the member the option to wear the same patches as worn on the blue flight suit, i.e. shoulder patches.  I recommend that the same patches as worn on the green flight jacket be approved on the blue flight jacket, for the purposes of uniformity between equivalent USAF and CAP uniforms, and for easier comprehension of these uniforms.

pierson777

6.1.10.2.1 NCO Rank Insignia on BDU Field Jacket (women)
There are three size choices listed here for CAP NCO patches; 3, 3 ½, or 4 inch.  As a cost savings measure for our vendor (Vanguard), I recommend narrowing the option by eliminating the 3 inch option.  This is the only uniform listed in this manual that is authorized to have the 3 inch size option, so it makes sense to eliminate the option.

pierson777

The FDU is a USAF-style uniform.  This draft allows US and foreign military badges authorized by AFI 36-2903 to be worn on all other USAF-style uniforms.  Why are they not authorized on  the FDU?  AFI 36-2903 10.4.9. allows aeronautical badges of other US services (not foreign though).

pierson777

This paragraph says that on the FDU name tag, wings will be to the right, which means that occupational badge is worn to the left (when badges are placed side by side on the nametag). But then the paragraph later says that the command insignia pin is worn on the right rather than an occupational badge.  does anyone know what is correct?  This is a disagreement that should be corrected.

pierson777

8.2.6.2 Flight Jacket
This paragraph says that it is mandatory to wear US Flag or other approved left sleeve patch on the flight jacket.  As I understand it, the US Flag patch is the only patch approved for the left sleeve of the flight jacket.

Is there another patch that is approved on the left sleeve of the flight jacket?

pierson777

This paragraph about the Honor Guard Uniform says that, "Items such as...boots with the service dress uniform...are not permitted."  Combat boots are already approved for wear with the service dress uniform.   

Is this paragraph trying to indicate that combat boots may not be worn with the Honor Guard Uniform?

pierson777

This paragraph says that the Honor Guard Uniform can include the "overcoat."  Paragraph 9.6.1.4 says that USAF Honor Guard Uniforms procured by any means are prohibited.  The USAF overcoat is specific to USAF Honor Guard, Chaplains, Band, and Flight Attendants.  Therefore, I think the author probably intended to mean topcoat and not overcoat.

pierson777

This paragraph restricts the First Sergeant Diamond to be worn only by C/MSgt, S/SMSgt, and C/CMSgt.  Is there a regulation that restricts the First Sergeant to those grades?   Isn't it possible for a C/SSgt or C/TSgt to be appointed to the position of First Sergeant. There is a First Sergeant Diamond Insignia (available from Vanguard) that I thought was for wear by C/SSgt or C/TSgt that are appointed as First Sergeant.

pierson777

ATTACHEMENT 9 and SUMMARY OF CHANGES
The following items were in the previous CAPM 39-1, but are not in the current draft.  These items should be listed as phased out or establish a future phase out date, and/or listed in the Summary of Changes.
    1.   Ultramarine Blue tapes and badges on the Corporate Field Uniform: "CIVIL AIR PATROL" tape, "NAME" tape, rank insignia, aeronautical ratings, occupational badges, command insignia pin, etc.  (Replaced with dark blue tapes and badges.)
    2.   100% Wool Pullover Sweater (replaced with 50/50 Acrylic Wool Pullover Sweater).
    3.   Scarf, White or Gray, with the Service Dress Uniform (Class A) and Blue Service Uniform LS/SS (Class B).  (Black scarf is approved).
    4.   Scarf, Gray, with the Battle Dress Uniform (BDU). (Black scarf is approved).
    5.   Mittens.
    6.   Gloves, Gray.
    7.   Dark Blue Earmuffs
    8.   Raincoat.
    9.   Floppy Bow.
  10.   Wigs and Hairpieces.
  11.   Not really a phase out, but the tie length was changed since the last manual.
  12.   Brown T-Shirt with the Battle Dress Uniform.
  13.   White T-Shirt and Brown T-Shirt with the Flight Duty Uniform.
  14.   White T-Shirt with the Corporate Field Uniform

a2capt

It's almost pointless to debate/discuss it, since the comment period is closed.

You can also use one post for all of that.

TarRiverRat

Quote from: pierson777 on February 17, 2014, 06:33:59 AM
This is same old dilemma, "What is the difference between grade and rank?"  Well, thanks to AFI 36-2903 and CAPM 39-1 DRAFT, we can no longer explain that grade is a major step in the promotion structure while rank is the seniority among those within the same grade.

This is one that I never really understood.  I grew up as a War Against Northern Aggression reenactor and rank was always what the person was such as General, Major, Captain, etc.  Until I got into CAP, I never really new about the grade part.  Even my dad, if asked what he was in WWII, he would say his "rank" was Sgt. in the Army Air Force.  He never used the term Grade.  When I read diaries from the CW they also use the term Rank and not Grade.  Just an observation.  Does not really matter and I am not going to lose sleep over the term Rank and Grade.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

NIN

You know, maybe just attaching a copy of your 27 page long document would go a lot further? I can't believe you just posted 3 pages of short posts.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.