Houston...we have a problem....

Started by Supreme Commander, December 27, 2013, 04:21:41 AM

Supreme Commander

My cadet commander and I are trying to work out ways to fix the way that our squadron runs.  Our cadets are not motivated to advance in the program and lack professionalism and custom and courtesies.  We have been working to educate them on customs and courtesies and have informed them to act in a way that will properly represent CAP.  I have taken surveys with the cadets to find out what interests them and see what feedback they have for the staff. We even talked to the cadets about what kind of opportunities there are for them. They do seem to be interested, but they are not motivated enough to attend the activities (i.e NCOS) that our wing provides us with.  I have tried everything I can think of to help motivate and educate these cadets to act IAW the leadership expectations.  I have all these SMART goals that I presented to the cadet staff, yet it doesn't seem that they want to follow through.  I have been complemented on my goals, saying that they are good and that they are willing to help meet them.  Yet, whenever I propose of ways to meet these goals, they don't follow through. 

I am at my wits end and I don't know what to do. It seems as if I am the only one on the cadet staff that is motivated to do something about our problems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

lordmonar

Way....not enough information to really help you...but here are some general observations.

Your goals, CAP's goals and the goals of your cadets may not ever cross paths.

On your three specific problems......advancement, "professionalism" and customs and courtesies....those are easier to address.

1 Customs and courtesies......easy fix.  Set the example and expect everyone else to do so.   Don't call anyone by their first name.  Don't let your peers do like wise.  When you see someone forget a custom or courtesies....correct it on the the spot.  You don't have to yell at them or crew them out.....Just a simple "You meant 'yes sir' cadet" or "Don't we salute officers cadet?"   Set  the example, set the standard and then be the C&C police for a while......then they will follow.

2.  Professionalism......I have got to ask.....what exactly do you mean by professionalism.....I know what the military means by professionalism.....I am just wondering what you are dealing with.

3.  Advancement........Carrot and Stick.    Set your expectation for cadet advancement......by regulation it should be at lease twice a year and no sooner then 8 weeks (4 weeks for JROTC).    So.....as a stick....."if you have not promoted withing the last six months, with out a valid excuse....you are banned from any extracurricular activity...no ES, no color guard, no o-rides, etc"   As a carrot.....find out what your cadets really really like......and use that as a reward.

Also on advancement.....look at any systemic issues that may be holding back promotions.   Only holding testing once a month, or promotion boards.    Find out if there is something holding up your cadets....PT?   Drill testing?   AE tests?   Focus your squadron activities on those problems.

Getting your cadets "interested" in CAP is something you have to do for them.......it is NOT a "if you build it they will come" situation.   Sometimes you have lead them by the hand/nose/ear/butt to get them out of their comfort zone and out doing things.   Again carrot and stick may help.....do you implement a "Participate actively means at least one outside the squadron meeting activity" for promotion policy?

One last things on goals.....they are YOUR goals....not theirs.....it is you who has to follow through on them to achieve them. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

A few questions:

1)  Where do you fit in the squadron?  Are you a cadet airman, first sergeant, element leader, flight commander, cadet staff?

2)  What are the goals specifically?  Are they actually obtainable?  How would you measure these goals?

3)  How did this "problem" get started?  Why is now being address and not 3 months, 6 months, 1 year ago?

4)  What activities have you done in the past?  Are they all ES related, but the cadets are all AE focused? 

5)  What do the other cadets want to get out of the program?

6)  What do you mean they do not follow through with these goals?

a2capt

#3 is irrelevant. Can't change the past, and in the future, this is the "3, 6 months" ago now.. Understand how you got there, but move forward.

LSThiker

Quote from: a2capt on December 27, 2013, 06:03:45 AM
#3 is irrelevant. Can't change the past, and in the future, this is the "3, 6 months" ago now.. Understand how you got there, but move forward.

You said #3 is irrelevant, but then state the whole purpose of question #3 "understand how you got there".  Understanding how a situation came about can provide clues on how to solve a problem.  If you do not know why something occurred, it can be difficult to fix what the real core issues are.  You can fix all the surface problems you want, but if you do not understand what really is going on, fixing surface problems becomes rather wasteful if the core issue is never addressed.  This is the question in #3.

ZigZag911

Quote from: a2capt on December 27, 2013, 06:03:45 AM

:Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it!"

Fubar

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2013, 04:43:11 AMSet your expectation for cadet advancement......by regulation it should be at lease twice a year ....

This hasn't been true since February 2011 when that paragraph was removed from CAPR 52-16. CAPR 35-3 does state that, "failure to progress satisfactorily in the CAP cadet program" is an acceptable reason for termination, although what that sentence mean is not defined and thus up to the squadron commander.

Just a point of clarification, by no means does this change the value of the great advice that was provided.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Fubar on December 29, 2013, 06:11:39 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2013, 04:43:11 AMSet your expectation for cadet advancement......by regulation it should be at lease twice a year ....

This hasn't been true since February 2011 when that paragraph was removed from CAPR 52-16. CAPR 35-3 does state that, "failure to progress satisfactorily in the CAP cadet program" is an acceptable reason for termination, although what that sentence mean is not defined and thus up to the squadron commander.

Just a point of clarification, by no means does this change the value of the great advice that was provided.
I think it was put in there to stop what I did...c/ssgt for 4 years
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Supreme Commander

Quote from: LSThiker on December 27, 2013, 05:39:40 AM
A few questions:
1)  Where do you fit in the squadron?  Are you a cadet airman, first sergeant, element leader, flight commander, cadet staff?

I am the Cadet Executive Officer/Flight Commander.

2)  What are the goals specifically?  Are they actually obtainable?  How would you measure these goals?

My goals involve enforcing customs and courtesies, professionalism and motivation within the cadets.  I have planned periodic classes and team activities to instill these values.  These goals I am hoping will be met by summer break.  Therefore, they are obtainable.  We just have to enforce said values ourselves.  I would be measuring these goals by monitoring the progress of the cadets.  If customs and courtesies increase, we will know that we have achieved the goal.  If more cadets are coming to the meetings, we will know that we have met our goal.

3)  How did this "problem" get started?  Why is now being address and not 3 months, 6 months, 1 year ago?

I have addressed this problem for four years.  It seems to me that in these four years, the staff hasn't been exactly "on board" with what I have been trying to say.  The previous command was more authoritative based instead of democratic.  The previous command rubbed off on the majority of the current command.  Although it's not as bad now because of new senior command, the problem still exists.

4)  What activities have you done in the past?  Are they all ES related, but the cadets are all AE focused? 

It seems to me that we are more Aerospace and ES based than anything else. 

5)  What do the other cadets want to get out of the program?

I took a survey about a year ago and they said things like friendship, aerospace, leadership, and medical.  The responses were pretty diverse.

6)  What do you mean they do not follow through with these goals?

They say that they will implement the current goals, and I try to meet those goals. However, they don't enforce what I teach to the cadets.  For example, I would teach the cadets and lecture them on customs and courtesies, yet they don't show customs and courtesies themselves.  The cadet staff doesn't correct on the spot when a cadet doesn't show customs and courtesies.  We teach professionalism, yet the staff doesn't show it. There is tension within the cadet staff and that decreases my chances of meeting these goals. This tension shows in front of the cadets.  The goals state that we should enforce customs and courtesies, professionalism and motivation, yet they don't support that.

Eclipse

Quote from: Supreme Commander on December 27, 2013, 04:21:41 AM
My cadet commander and I are trying to work out ways to fix the way that our squadron runs.

What has your Commander and CDC said about this?

"That Others May Zoom"

Supreme Commander

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2013, 04:43:11 AM
Way....not enough information to really help you...but here are some general observations.

My goals are CAP's goals.

On your three specific problems......advancement, "professionalism" and customs and courtesies....those are easier to address.

2.  Professionalism......I have got to ask.....what exactly do you mean by professionalism.....I know what the military means by professionalism.....I am just wondering what you are dealing with.

The CAP meetings seem more like a social event than an actual CAP meeting. For example, one particular cadet officer repeatedly goofs off with particular NCOs during classes, training sessions and even during commander's call where they got chewed out for it.   

Again carrot and stick may help.....do you implement a "Participate actively means at least one outside the squadron meeting activity" for promotion policy?
Yes we do, sir.

One last things on goals.....they are YOUR goals....not theirs.....it is you who has to follow through on them to achieve them.

Yes sir.  I do, but the rest of the staff does not follow through on what WE have agreed on. 

Supreme Commander

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2013, 10:22:12 PM
Quote from: Supreme Commander on December 27, 2013, 04:21:41 AM
My cadet commander and I are trying to work out ways to fix the way that our squadron runs.

What has your Commander and CDC said about this?

They agree on the problems that have been going on.  They love my ideas and agree on the suggestions that I have proposed.  They chose to implement the ideas, but the cadet staff have not implemented them.

Eclipse

^ They are the key.  If they aren't willing to enforce the plans and ideas, nothing is going to happen.

They need to be more engaged directly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Supreme Commander

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2013, 11:09:35 PM
^ They are the key.  If they aren't willing to enforce the plans and ideas, nothing is going to happen.

They need to be more engaged directly.

How do I get the cadet staff to be more directly engaged? I am so frustrated, I feel like I've hit a brick wall. :(

Eclipse

No, your adult leadership needs to be more directly engaged with the cadet staff and rank and file.

My point being that these situations require experienced leadership, not to mention a voice which cannot be ignored.

Adolescents tend to ignore their peers, especially in situations where there is little consequence to doing so.

You should also make sure your meetings are properly structured as to leave little to no time for goofing off - idle hands and all that.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Supreme Commander on December 30, 2013, 10:38:48 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2013, 04:43:11 AM

My goals are CAP's goals.

The CAP meetings seem more like a social event than an actual CAP meeting. For example, one particular cadet officer repeatedly goofs off with particular NCOs during classes, training sessions and even during commander's call where they got chewed out for it.   

Again carrot and stick may help.....do you implement a "Participate actively means at least one outside the squadron meeting activity" for promotion policy?
Yes we do, sir.

Yes sir.  I do, but the rest of the staff does not follow through on what WE have agreed on. 
Okay.....

First....don't answer questions withing the quote....it is confusing.

Second.

If you are not the cadet commander........and I'm another staff member.......I don't care about your goals.....Sorry that's harsh...but you don't set my goals unless you are my direct supervisor.   You want things to run differently, you want to see changes made....okay....as the XO/Flight commander....your wished don't affect the other staff members.

Beyond that...with out really seeing what is going on...there's not a lot I can do to help you.

Deal with individual discipline problems as they come up.   Cadet officer disruptive during class......CAPF 50 is your friend....deal with him.  Cadet NCO disruptive in class deal with it.

Meetings seem like social gatherings.....make a schedule, and stick to it.

Finally....as Eclipse is trying to tell you....CAPTALK is not the place to get your advice.   Go to your cadet commander, your deputy commander for cadets, leadership officer or squadron commander.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

First, I would like to echo lordmanor, please do not answer post within quotes.

Second, I would like to say I agree with the previous two posters.  You need to have a sit down heart-to-heart with your cadet commander and deputy commander of cadets.  I do not mean "here are my goals" but a serious heart-to-heart.

However, I would like to address some points as more of a learning exercise than advice giving:

Quote3)  How did this "problem" get started?  Why is now being address and not 3 months, 6 months, 1 year ago?
I have addressed this problem for four years.  It seems to me that in these four years, the staff hasn't been exactly "on board" with what I have been trying to say.  The previous command was more authoritative based instead of democratic.  The previous command rubbed off on the majority of the current command.  Although it's not as bad now because of new senior command, the problem still exists.

I am a bit confused by this.  Command is not democratic, it is authoritative in nature (JP1-Doctrine for the Armed Forces of the United States).  Congress works by democratic republic principles, while the military command is authoritative.  However, leadership is not necessarily authoritative. 

Quote from: Supreme Commander on December 30, 2013, 10:01:13 PM

My goals involve enforcing customs and courtesies, professionalism and motivation within the cadets.  I have planned periodic classes and team activities to instill these values.  These goals I am hoping will be met by summer break.  Therefore, they are obtainable.  We just have to enforce said values ourselves.  I would be measuring these goals by monitoring the progress of the cadets.  If customs and courtesies increase, we will know that we have achieved the goal.  If more cadets are coming to the meetings, we will know that we have met our goal.

Since you mentioned SMART goals, let us break this down:

S:  Specific.  Your goal needs to be specific, clear, and well-defined.  Enforcing customs and courtesies, professionalism, and motivation.  Except for the C&C part, professionalism and motivation are not well-defined.  The definitions for these vary depending on the commander.  Even the C&C is included, but you have a manual for C&C so, okay.

M:  Measurable.  This means something with a number (date, percentage, etc).  Saying "I would be measuring these goals by monitoring the progress of the cadets.  If customs and courtesies increase, we will know that we have achieved the goal.  If more cadets are coming to the meetings, we will know that we have met our goal" is not measurable.  How do you measure an increase of C&C?  So only you know if you have achieved your goal and not the other cadets or the commander?  Makes it hard to work towards something if I do not know if where I stand in that goal.  Also, "if more cadets are coming to the meetings" does not necessarily have to deal with C&C unless they have specifically said "I no longer attend meetings because the cadets do not practice C&C".  If that is the reason, then I would be focusing on bringing these people back instead.

A:  Action-oriented.  "I have planned periodic classes and team activities to instill these values."  Okay I will go with that since you are taking action, but I would be more specific.

R.  I am skipping this for now but will address it after "T".

T.  Time-driven.  Okay, you have by summer break.  That is a definitive time point for a short-term goal.

Back to R.  Realistic.  The goals need to be obtainable, manageable, and more importantly "YOUR OWN".  So I have already addressed the obtainable with the Measurable part.  However, I want to address the "YOUR OWN".  As lordmanor stated, "I don't care about your goals".  You can have those goals, but unless you are my boss or the commander of the squadron, then I simply have no enthusiasm to accomplish your goals.  You have to convince the leadership that your goals are their goals.  The answer to that is far more complicated and again requires a heart-to-heart.  If the squadron's goals are not your goals, you may have to adjust your goals and expectations to meet the squadron commander's goals.

Do not get me wrong, it is great to want a more well-organized squadron.  However, the only people you have direct control over are those that you are the boss of.  So if you are a flight commander, get your flight to follow proper C&C and do spot corrections when necessary for your flight members.  You can do spot corrections for other flights, but remember they belong to the other flight commanders.

Quote4)  What activities have you done in the past?  Are they all ES related, but the cadets are all AE focused? 
It seems to me that we are more Aerospace and ES based than anything else.

Ummm what else is there?  Our mission is AE, ES, and CP.

Quote5)  What do the other cadets want to get out of the program?
I took a survey about a year ago and they said things like friendship, aerospace, leadership, and medical.  The responses were pretty diverse.

I have made this mistake before.  Surveys are easy to blow off.  What about aerospace, leadership, and medical?  Those are all very general descriptions.  These are things for you to critically think about, not necessarily to answer here. 

Expanding on that, I think you need to really critically think about the situation.  In the 2-3 sentence answers you gave, it does not sound like you really know what the problem is (I could be wrong since I am not there).  I would suggest looking into and doing some research on critical thinking methods, strategies, and principles.  It may help you to answer your problems.