Promotion procedure for SM

Started by huey, December 26, 2013, 05:26:16 PM

huey

My promotion was due, the unit cmdr has approved 2 weeks ago, now waiting for the group cmdr approval. How long do I have to wait, per reg? Tks

EMT-83

What type of promotion; to what grade?

Eclipse

There is currently no requirement that promotion requests be acted upon in any certain amount of time, or for that
matter at all.

I don't believe the promotion system sends queue messages, so it's possible the Group CC is unaware it's even
waiting, or if he has a decent staff, might be waiting on something from his PDO.  This assumes the request was processed
via eServices.  Also, the group may have a policy on a promotion board, which can be anything from a phone call, round-robin
email, to an actual in-face staff meeting.

For me, personally, I think these things should be done in real-time, but some people like to let them age,
or only "do CAP stuff" once a week, or whatever, and don't see them as a priority.

On a few occasions I was also guilty of sitting quietly on a promotion and then showing up to a meeting
to personally pin a member, then punching the ticket from my phone.

No reason your unit CC can't ask - there should be no ambiguity in anyone's mind about how long this
takes. Having been on the waiting side of these things a few times myself, with no explanation,
I've been a vocal advocate that the regs should be clear as to a full timeline, with a requirement that
all included echelons respond to the request either approved or disapproved within a set timeframe.

2 weeks is no big deal, but a member should never be in the dark as to how long it takes or
where things are stuck.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyboy53

Quote from: huey on December 26, 2013, 05:26:16 PM
My promotion was due, the unit cmdr has approved 2 weeks ago, now waiting for the group cmdr approval. How long do I have to wait, per reg? Tks

Have your squadron commander check with Group to determine the status. Are there promotion boards in your state? Your nomination may be boarded

If your promotion is to captain or below, the group commander is the approval authority and can do that via e-services. Otherwise, I hope the Group Commander is aware of your service in order to sign it of.

If he or she is only signing off, then the paperwork is submitted to wing for the rest of the approval process -- which may require a mandatory board review at some point.

In other words, your promotion may be just days away or realistically up to 90 days.

Good Luck!

MSG Mac

Ideally the appointment should not take more than a few days. All electronically submitted promotions can be reviewed on line and a Promotion Board member can sign off as soon as they receive it. I have the same problem. A young 1Lt eligible for Captain   was submitted on 3 December, after 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails. The electronic membership system was supposed to eliminate delays, not extend them.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 26, 2013, 08:41:04 PMafter 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails.

That's unacceptable, no one is >that< busy that they can't either respond or delegate a response.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 26, 2013, 08:41:04 PMI have the same problem. A young 1Lt eligible for Captain   was submitted on 3 December, after 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails. The electronic membership system was supposed to eliminate delays, not extend them.

Make a phone call. eMail could have gone into a 'spam' folder.

Do not forget the Group CC has a life too. They may be on vacation, sick or whatever.  8)

a2capt

..and that does not mean things should come to halt.

They should have someone else delegated to handle things.

THRAWN

Not for nothing, but if it's that much of a priority, why use email? A phone call would get a faster response. Some people don't check their email on a regular basis, only if they know something is going to be coming in.

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 26, 2013, 08:41:04 PM
Ideally the appointment should not take more than a few days. All electronically submitted promotions can be reviewed on line and a Promotion Board member can sign off as soon as they receive it. I have the same problem. A young 1Lt eligible for Captain   was submitted on 3 December, after 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails. The electronic membership system was supposed to eliminate delays, not extend them.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on December 26, 2013, 09:41:01 PMSome people don't check their email on a regular basis, only if they know something is going to be coming in.

That.
Is.
Ridiculous.

The average member is getting their email on a mobile device in real-time.

If you can't be bothered to be checking your email on at least a daily basis, you do not have the ability
to be a Commander in CAP in this day and age.

Period.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: a2capt on December 26, 2013, 09:35:29 PM
..and that does not mean things should come to halt.

They should have someone else delegated to handle things.

In a perfect world.

Now look at the perfect storm scenario. GPCD is on vacation out of state to see grandchildren and the GPCC has a stroke and their spouse has no CAP friends so who does the spouse suppose to call?

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 26, 2013, 09:54:00 PM
Now look at the perfect storm scenario. GPCD is on vacation out of state to see grandchildren and the GPCC has a stroke and their spouse has no CAP friends so who does the spouse suppose to call?

Yes, I'm sure this is what happened.  Also the FSM made his second coming and that interrupted email and cell service
in the exact coincidental area that these staff officers were in.

It's so hilarious to see the random "out of state" messages from staffers and commanders - HINT: It's 2013, there's no
such thing any more as "out of the office" or "out of touch".

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 09:57:23 PM
It's so hilarious to see the random "out of state" messages from staffers and commanders - HINT: It's 2013, there's no

Hate to disagree with you on this one sir.  But when I leave my workplace for a TDY or leave and post my out of office reply I am out of the office and not to be contacted.  Those that need to get ahold of me can, but that is on a contingency basis.

Private Investigator

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 26, 2013, 10:03:02 PM

Hate to disagree with you on this one sir.  But when I leave my workplace for a TDY or leave and post my out of office reply I am out of the office and not to be contacted.  Those that need to get ahold of me can, but that is on a contingency basis.

I concur. If I am tracking a $1M fugitive that is just what it is  8)

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 26, 2013, 10:03:02 PM

Well, then you're not "not replying" - a current OOO reply is silly and annoying to people who understand the internet,
but is at least a reply. 

There are plenty of paying jobs that allow people to delegate or defer responsibilities, but playing the "I don't check my email." game with
other volunteers as if you're special just isn't right.

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 26, 2013, 10:14:33 PM
I concur. If I am tracking a $1M fugitive that is just what it is  8)

Not the same thing as "I only check email if I'm expecting something."

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Cadets say "it must not have gone through" when they really should say "I forgot to send it".
Seniors say "it must not have gone through, you should resend it" when they really should say "I'm sorry, I checked and didn't do it".

Heh.

ProdigalJim

While I understand the sentiment, I have to respectfully disagree. There absolutely is such a thing as "out of touch," and I'm it right now. I've gone home to upstate NY for the holidays, and to get Internet (like right now) I have to drive into town and go to the coffee place. The house is 25 minutes away from town, in the woods, and out of cell and Internet range. To be honest, it's kind of nice...

I'm checking my CAP email, but only every couple of days. I've had two or three exchanges with my CDC, and tried to do one thing on eServices from Collegetown Bagels (and failed) and that's it. I'm logged in here this evening, but getting ready to depart the fix for the house, the tree and the wood stove...  ;)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

Everyone has a day or two where they wind up too busy or too mobile to be able to answer things in real-time, and
internet on planes, etc., isn't ubiquitous and is still pretty expensive, and there's the occasion where you
just want to "get away".

No issue there, but the excuses about "not regularly checking email", blah, blah, just don't fly anymore.

2 weeks is reasonable for an administrative action like a promotion - "no action" in Dec" especially if the echelon
requires an in-face board or discussion.

My point was that too many members are left in limbo for months, and for whatever reason when you
call people on that, the excuses come out.

Secondly, when you accept the command badge, you're free time becomes optional - you've accepted
the responsibility for the CAP experience of everyone in your unit or echelon.  If it's too much trouble to
check email once a day, or delegate when you're out of town, you should not be a commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Now......I too don't think anything should be delayed.

But.......

1.  Does your group have promotion boards?   When/how often are they held?
2.  December is a busy time for everyone.....you may just be on the bottom of the pile of "urgent" tasks.
3.  It is just CAP......while yes we should promote when they are deserved....but really let's keep things in perspective.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyboy53

BTW, you never said what promotion was pending?

If it's not too early, congrats in advance and thank you for your service to the CAP!

a2capt

When I got my last promotion, and literally, probably my last one.. they put it in, in the wee hours of O-Dark-thirty, CA time. By the time the sun was up on Oahu, the thing had gone through all the way to region. Done. The cadet staff at encampment somehow knew before I did, and even changed the sign on the door to the upgraded grade. :)  No one in that chain was at their "home" or "office". Everyone was elsewhere. The majority of it was probably done on phones, too.

This is 2013. You can't do that "I do CAP stuff once in a blue moon" bit anymore. You can't blame the mail for delays anymore. For all it's imperfectness, email is quite resilient. It really does work amazingly well.

THRAWN

The average member in your house, maybe. This may come as a shock, but there are people who not only don't check email, they don't use it. Nothing is lost by making a phone call to let someone know something is pending. Or you can just sit and wait and complain about how things don't get done...

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 09:51:25 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on December 26, 2013, 09:41:01 PMSome people don't check their email on a regular basis, only if they know something is going to be coming in.

That.
Is.
Ridiculous.

The average member is getting their email on a mobile device in real-time.

If you can't be bothered to be checking your email on at least a daily basis, you do not have the ability

Period.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

If you are in a position where it is necessary to communicate via email, and you either haven't the foggiest clue how to do so, don't have the equipment or don't ever plan on using said equipment,  you don't need to be in that position. Just my 2 pence.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 09:51:25 PM

Period.
Quote from: Garibaldi on December 27, 2013, 03:33:18 PM
If you are in a position where it is necessary to communicate via email, and you either haven't the foggiest clue how to do so, don't have the equipment or don't ever plan on using said equipment,  you don't need to be in that position. Just my 2 pence.

Emphatically agree with both of these points; unfortunately we still have squadron, group, and wing CCs who feel that the average member is less than they are and should consider themselves lucky if they get a response within 3 months, if ever. It seems that NHQ is trying very hard to simplify and streamline the process and hopefully create a more professional organization, but we still have people doing there best to wreck it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Quote from: jeders on December 27, 2013, 04:33:56 PM..unfortunately we still have squadron, group, and wing CCs who feel that the average member is less than they are and should consider themselves lucky if they get a response within 3 months, if ever..
..and every single last one of them need to be punted from those positions. Pronto. Period.

Private Investigator

Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 26, 2013, 11:11:18 PM

While I understand the sentiment, I have to respectfully disagree. There absolutely is such a thing as "out of touch," and I'm it right now. I've gone home to upstate NY for the holidays, and to get Internet (like right now) I have to drive into town and go to the coffee place. The house is 25 minutes away from town, in the woods, and out of cell and Internet range. To be honest, it's kind of nice...

I'm checking my CAP email, but only every couple of days. I've had two or three exchanges with my CDC, and tried to do one thing on eServices from Collegetown Bagels (and failed) and that's it. I'm logged in here this evening, but getting ready to depart the fix for the house, the tree and the wood stove...  ;)

Jim has a good point there.  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 11:31:22 PM
Everyone has a day or two where they wind up too busy or too mobile to be able to answer things in real-time, and
internet on planes, etc., isn't ubiquitous and is still pretty expensive, and there's the occasion where you
just want to "get away".

No issue there, but the excuses about "not regularly checking email", blah, blah, just don't fly anymore.

2 weeks is reasonable for an administrative action like a promotion - "no action" in Dec" especially if the echelon
requires an in-face board or discussion.

My point was that too many members are left in limbo for months, and for whatever reason when you
call people on that, the excuses come out.

Secondly, when you accept the command badge, you're free time becomes optional - you've accepted
the responsibility for the CAP experience of everyone in your unit or echelon.  If it's too much trouble to
check email once a day, or delegate when you're out of town, you should not be a commander.

Eclipse has even a better point. I would highlight the "Command Badge" responsibility. I had a SQCC that no matter how many emails and calls I made. He did not nominate anyone from his Unit for any of the annual "OTY" awards. I fired him on 12/31.  8)

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on December 27, 2013, 12:43:04 PM
The average member in your house, maybe. This may come as a shock, but there are people who not only don't check email, they don't use it. Nothing is lost by making a phone call to let someone know something is pending. Or you can just sit and wait and complain about how things don't get done...

No, the average member in normal society. 

Yes, there are people not interested in email, the internet, whatever.  Life is choice.

Those people just have no business being Unit CC's (or probably any other staff member with administrative responsibility).

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

You guys jump to conclusions much?

Nowhere did the OP say that anyone was ignoring emails. There could have been a dozen phone calls, emails or face-to-face meetings between the squadron commander and group commander that the OP is not aware of.

Also, promotion boards are not optional; they are required at every echelon. Especially with the holidays, two weeks is not a big deal.

Eclipse

^ For those reaching for 35-5, the "may" was changed to a "will" in Dec 2012.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

I did reach for 35-5 and saw this sentence by chance:

"When this approval is complete the member's record will be automatically updated and a new membership card sent directly to the member concerned. "   [This actually refers to another thread on here]

Back to this thread...

The reg says to have a promotion board that advises the commander at each echelon. I assume that means that for promotions to 2nd and 1st Lt., a squadron should have a promotion board to advise the Squadron Commander?

lordmonar

Eclipse

^ Yes, and for all other promotions as well.  A major should never get to Group or Wing if the unit CC doesn't think they are ready.

The commander, of course, is free to disregard their recommendation.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

I would not be so quick to jump on the "out of office" auto responses.  While I understand your general point and for the most part agree, there are times when those are necessary.  When I go backpacking, especially for a week or more, I shut my cell phone/email services off.  The purpose of backpacking/camping is to get away from all the normal everyday hassles.  Also, generally speaking I probably do not get cell reception anyway.  So I generally put in my out of office emails to contact the wing commander if something is needed during those time frames. 

Panache

Quote from: LSThiker on December 28, 2013, 04:50:25 AM
I would not be so quick to jump on the "out of office" auto responses.  While I understand your general point and for the most part agree, there are times when those are necessary.

I don't think anybody is debating that there are times when they are necessary.  It's not unreasonable for someone who's on vacation to not have to deal with their "work-day" (and this includes things like CAP) responsibilities.  That's the entire point of vacation for many.

The key is designating somebody who can handle those responsibilities until you get back and settled.

LSThiker

Quote from: Panache on December 28, 2013, 10:35:02 AM
The key is designating somebody who can handle those responsibilities until you get back and settled.

I was commenting on the "HINT: It's 2013, there's no such thing any more as "out of the office" or "out of touch"".  Having a Out of Office reply/vacation reply does not mean that your duties have not been delegated.  Even though they a bit annoying to receive, they are a friendly way of saying "either contact my delegated party or I will get to when I return".

Eclipse

Yeah, yeah, you're on a mountain visiting Ghandi's third cousin's barber.  Whatever.  The world doesn't stop because you're looking for yourself.   As long as
your duties are handled, no harm, no foul.

Always amusing are people who put up "out of office" and then spend their off time updating their
social media web channels about how they are "away".

The reality for the majority of CAP adult members, certainly those who are professionals in some capacity,
is that there's no longer such a thing as "vacation" or "out of office".  That's simply a fact of life in today's
society, a society CAP exists within and is scaled to support.  You can lament that to your heart's content,
but that same much-maligned connectedness affords people a lot of flexibility to work from home and attend
"Johnny's 3rd grade Christmas play", so it is what it is.

Sadly, apathy has the power to kill just about anything.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2013, 06:03:11 PM
Yeah, yeah, you're on a mountain visiting Ghandi's third cousin's barber.  Whatever. 

Well not me, but my work mate just got back from a month in India essentially doing just that.  He is very Hindu.  As for me, I look for the great flying spaghetti monster and the teapot that is orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars.

lordmonar

Also....everyone needs to keep thing in perspective.  This is just CAP.......unless we are doing SAR....there is not a lot of things that need to be taken care of TODAY.

That is not an excuse to just sit on things and let things get forgotten.  Wing CC gone for a week or two......that's why we have a vice.  Of course routine things "like promotions" may just have to wait until he gets back.

Now.....you send up your promotion request and they are still sitting on it a month from now.....then you got a case for a "What the Hell Guys" type phone call.

Grumpy

"Now.....you send up your promotion request and they are still sitting on it a month from now.....then you got a case for a "What the Hell Guys" type phone call."

That's something that bugs me about CAP. . . .  the individual submitting paperwork on their own promotions or awards.  It's like walking around patting yourself on the back.  Look at me I'm so great.  If they were working for someone who was conscientious, that someone would be putting the individual in for promotions and awards.

lordmonar

1. If you don't care about it.....why should you expect anyone else to care about it?

2.  If you earned it....by the FSM you got every right to get it awarded.....never....ever....suggest that it is beneath someone to ask for what he/she as earned. 

3.  Every leader in CAP needs to keep number 2 in mind.   People give of their time, effort and money to CAP and there is little tangible payback....we need to go out of our way to make sure our people get every promotion, award, pat on the back that they have earned......they certainly are not going to get any money.

4.  Let's face facts....even if you have a good strong leadership team at the squadron/group/wing/region/national level.....we simply don't have the time and people to do it all (we can argue about training and recruiting in another thread) sometimes individuals need and should remind their leadership of their accomplishments...and sometime help them out by filling out the CAPF 120 or CAPF 2 or going to e-service and start the ball rolling.

[/rant]

LSThiker

If you do not manage your career, no one else will.

Some times it is a matter of the leader simply not knowing as well.  I had my platoon sergeant ask me about the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.  I never knew he was putting in a lot of extra time into volunteer events.  Although I knew he did some volunteer, I never knew the extent of it.  So over a few weeks, I put in his and 4 other Soldiers recommendations for the MOVSM.  It got the ball rolling for other Soldiers to start to volunteering and my commander put me in for the MOVSM. 

The same can be true for the CAP Community Service.  I do not know what every other member does outside of CAP.  Although I try and ask, I simply do not know it all.  So for a member to ask about getting that ribbon is no skin off my back. 

In addition, I may not know that you saved a person's life by pulling them out of a burning car last week.  My local news requires a subscription that I refuse to pay for high school journalism.  If you do not tell me and no other member tells me, I will never know to put you in a for the Lifesaving Award or a Medal of Valor.   

Eclipse

^ A commander should certainly know when someone is coming due for promotion, whether their PD is completed to the appropriate level,
and any typical service or longevity awards.

They should also have been advising those members along the way so that the CAPF24, and the requisite specialty rating isn't treated like a final exam.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on December 27, 2013, 01:14:23 AM
When I got my last promotion, and literally, probably my last one.. they put it in, in the wee hours of O-Dark-thirty, CA time. By the time the sun was up on Oahu, the thing had gone through all the way to region. Done. The cadet staff at encampment somehow knew before I did, and even changed the sign on the door to the upgraded grade. :)  No one in that chain was at their "home" or "office". Everyone was elsewhere. The majority of it was probably done on phones, too.

This is 2013. You can't do that "I do CAP stuff once in a blue moon" bit anymore. You can't blame the mail for delays anymore. For all it's imperfectness, email is quite resilient. It really does work amazingly well.

Yes, and I do believe It 00:05 Hrs that I started the wheels rolling.

Grumpy

Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2013, 10:43:28 PM
1. If you don't care about it.....why should you expect anyone else to care about it?

2.  If you earned it....by the FSM you got every right to get it awarded.....never....ever....suggest that it is beneath someone to ask for what he/she as earned. 

3.  Every leader in CAP needs to keep number 2 in mind.   People give of their time, effort and money to CAP and there is little tangible payback....we need to go out of our way to make sure our people get every promotion, award, pat on the back that they have earned......they certainly are not going to get any money.

4.  Let's face facts....even if you have a good strong leadership team at the squadron/group/wing/region/national level.....we simply don't have the time and people to do it all (we can argue about training and recruiting in another thread) sometimes individuals need and should remind their leadership of their accomplishments...and sometime help them out by filling out the CAPF 120 or CAPF 2 or going to e-service and start the ball

[/rant]

Hey, don't jump all over me.  I didn't direct that at Huey at all.  I'm sure he  deserves any promotion or award he gets.  What I'm saying is that we need supervisors who take enough interest in their subordinates activities that they know when a promotion or award is due.

Every month, I ck eServices to see who is eligible for promotion and what they've been doing in CAP.  I enjoy seeing the expression on their faces when they're told they're in improper uniform and we take their gold bar off their shoulder and replace it with a silver bar or what ever.  I enjoy the surprise.

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2013, 03:17:59 AM
^ A commander should certainly know when someone is coming due for promotion, whether their PD is completed to the appropriate level,

They should also have been advising those members along the way so that the CAPF24, and the requisite specialty rating isn't treated like a final exam.

Yes a professional development officer, personnel officer, or deputy commander of seniors should be briefing the commander on such matters.  However, this does not mean you should not be managing your career as we all know that cracks, laziness, human error, and other matters can interfere. 

The ultimate responsibility of your "career" is you and not the others in the squadron, even though they have some organizational responsibility.  A member cannot be exempt from personal responsibility for their own CAP files, learning, and progress.  The member should also know when they are up for promotion, longevity awards, PD awards.  If something happens that member should be promptly asking what is happening to their promotion or award.  If they do not know, they need to take the personal responsibility to be asking or tracking those requirements.  If you cannot take care of yourself, what makes me think you can take care of other members in the squadron?  Of course, the opposite is true as well since this is a two-way street.

I used to fill in the CAPF2 and CAPF24 as I went along.  When all the requirements were met, I printed the form and handed it to the personnel officer for appropriate routing.  Both as a cadet and as a senior, every couple of months, I would pull my file and check for completeness on the CAPF45 and CAPF66 (e.g. Activity participation letters, tests recorded, PD certificates, where I stood on specialty ratings).

As with certain awards (e.g. Community service, lifesaving {which is why I chose those specific awards and not those that you listed}), a member may have to initate the award process, as I said, because the leader does not know.  So as
Quote from: Grumpy on December 28, 2013, 08:49:06 PM
That's something that bugs me about CAP. . . .  the individual submitting paperwork on their own promotions or awards.
this is sometimes a necessary action. 

There really should not be any major surprises for members with the exception of achievement medals, commander's commendations, and other similar award types.

MSG Mac

Everyone cadet or senior should be proactive in advancing their CAP careers.Having said that the Commanders, Deputies, and the Personnel Officer should be on top of where everybody stands. I routinely print out the Senior Training, Membership, and Cadet Promotion reports before each meeting. Promotion eligibility can be found in E-Services. The tools are there (Thank You IT persons at National)
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Grumpy

I'm not saying don't keep track of your career and, yes, there are things that come up that you should bring to the attention of your superiors.  As a squadron commander, I was always checking personnel and training records and initiated most of personnel actions.  Did I have people coming to me saying, "Sir, Lt Johnny Jumpup has been doing an outstanding job for me doing this, that, and the other thing and I want to put him in for a meritorious service ribbon." as they handed me a completed form 2a?  Not very often.

Now, as a PDO, people in my squadron refer to me as "three horses" (nag, nag, nag) because I'm always putting out progress reports and nagging people to progress in their training.

Grumpy

Thanks Michael, I believe you just summed up what I was trying to say.

LSThiker

Quote from: Grumpy on December 29, 2013, 05:53:10 AM
I want to put him in for a meritorious service ribbon." as they handed me a completed form 2a?  Not very often.

That is good as they should not.  It should be a CAPF 120.  :)

Grumpy

Oops, you're right.  I know better too

BHartman007

Do you have to have actual paperwork for promotions? Mine was all electronic.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

MSG Mac

For Duty Performance the initiator can do it electronically. For anything else ( Professional, Former Cadet, ex-military, Exceptions, etc) it must be done on a Form 2. Accompanied by supporting documents.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

huey

So, as a PD/Admin/Personnel officer, or vice commander, do I need to submit the request for someone via eServices, or just let it be?

huey

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 27, 2013, 12:52:23 AM

BTW, you never said what promotion was pending?

If it's not too early, congrats in advance and thank you for your service to the CAP!
Thanks for the congrats!
I got it by the end of last year!!

BTW, I just raise a question about the reg, b/c I did not see it in any documents a/b the wait: one week, one month, 10 days, 30, 60, 90 days...

Thanks for your input.

MSG Mac

Quote from: huey on January 06, 2014, 10:24:49 PM

So, as a PD/Admin/Personnel officer, or vice commander, do I need to submit the request for someone via eServices, or just let it be?
The Personnel Officer, PDO, or Deputy Commander can initiate the promotion action for the Commander.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

^ This.

If you have all those titles, this is probably your job.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2014, 02:47:59 PM
^ This.

Unfortunately you can't, last I checked, put yourself in E-Services for a promotion.  When I was up for Major, I went to submit myself to the Squadron CC, and it would not let me, so I called him, and he took care of it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MSG Mac

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 13, 2014, 06:07:18 PM
^ This.

Unfortunately you can't, last I checked, put yourself in E-Services for a promotion.  When I was up for Major, I went to submit myself to the Squadron CC, and it would not let me, so I called him, and he took care of it.

To initiate a promotion through E-services you must be a Commander, Deputy, or Personnel Officer.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RogueLeader

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 14, 2014, 12:48:51 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on January 13, 2014, 06:07:18 PM
^ This.

To initiate a promotion through E-services you must be a Commander, Deputy, or Personnel Officer.

Right, and I was 2 of the 3.  I could promote others, just not myself.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

rugger1869

I have been in for over a year... I'm still a SM. I asked if I could be promoted 3 times... no response. Our unit has not AE Officer, I requested to take the position (I gots ideas, man!).... nothing. At this point I'm just paying dues until I PCS back stateside. Disappointed, but not surprised.

To be fair, it might help if I was able to go to meetings, but this was discussed with the CC before I joined.

No big deal, really... That extra zero you get in your CAP paycheck after a promotion doesn't make that big of a difference anyway.  ;D

Storm Chaser

It's tough to get promoted if you can't attend meetings. That said, instead of asking for a promotion, find a job you can do from home (unfortunately, it's hard to be an effective unit AEO if you can't attend meetings) and become a contributing member in this way. Once your commander sees that you're helping out the unit, he/she would be more likely to approve your promotion.

rugger1869

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 24, 2014, 08:01:19 PM
It's tough to get promoted if you can't attend meetings. That said, instead of asking for a promotion, find a job you can do from home (unfortunately, it's hard to be an effective unit AEO if you can't attend meetings) and become a contributing member in this way. Once your commander sees that you're helping out the unit, he/she would be more likely to approve your promotion.

I've tried everything... I just get crickets. Like I said, I'm not butt-hurt about it. Folks are busy, squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I ain't there to be all squeaky.

Storm Chaser

If it's not working out for you there, then the best thing you can do is find a different unit. Good luck!

Eclipse

"No response" could literally mean the CC hasn't seen the messages.

Have you asked him in person?  Are you still assigned to Ramstein but no longer there?

"That Others May Zoom"

rugger1869

I've never been at Ramstein, I'm at Graf. They said I could be in the unit and do things distance, there's a small contingent of cadets at Graf, too. The deputy CC was at Graf for a while, but he PCS'd too. I've hit all three of the CC's email addresses, the deputy CC, and the admin guy... no answer. Like I said... not sweating it. I'll be CONUS in 6 months, I just hope they'll transfer me.  ;)

MSG Mac

They don't transfer you. You find a unit at your next destination and upon acceptance of your membership, the new unit initiates the transfer. It's almost automatic in E-Services, unless the outgoing unit has a problem with your leaving the unit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

While you're doing your PCS processing try to go by your unit and pick up your records and handcarry them to your new unit.
Makes things much easier for all involved!

huey

[/quote]

Right, and I was 2 of the 3.  I could promote others, just not myself.
[/quote]

You're so right!

huey

Yeah, but what if the CC doesn't care about it; doesn't bring up and follow thru for their staff??
I've personally submited once for another SM long due for the promotion, but the CC was not approved, and no reason provided!

Eclipse

"No reason provided" is, I suppose, the CC's prerogative, but it's also a great way to soon not have members to worry about.

If you don't have the stones for either explaining to your people why they aren't ready to be promoted, to the next echelon why they should,
or to the next echelon why members not ready are being whipped up, you shouldn't be a CC.

I've also said for a long time that promotions should have email nags and timelines.  Members should not be left sitting for months or
years wondering "if or when".   

Perhaps promotions should be considered "approved unless denied" - i.e. if they sit in the CC's queue for "x" without action, they are automatically approved.

"That Others May Zoom"

pascocap2002

The CC can approve or deny the promotion even the member meets all the requirements for promotion. There is no getting around that.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2014, 06:32:07 PM
"No reason provided" is, I suppose, the CC's prerogative, but it's also a great way to soon not have members to worry about.

Perhaps promotions should be considered "approved unless denied" - i.e. if they sit in the CC's queue for "x" without action, they are automatically approved.

I was promotable to Major 4 years ago and my CC refused to submit the paperwork. Finally in 2012 my commander submitted the paperwork for Loening but still did not want to promote me. I ended up changing units and it took 3 days from the time the promotion paperwork was submitted to the time it was recorded in E-Services with the promotion.

That being said, if your promotable and your commander is just flexing their muscles and refusing to promote you, I am sure will not be happy so just save yourself the headache and change units.

If your not being promoted because your commander feels your not active in the squadron but your work forces you to travel, then become active by attending meetings when you can and also attend other squadrons meetings when you in different areas. Never give up on CAP, not even if you CC has given up on you.

CAP gains a lot from its members and promotions help members feel better about what they have accomplished within CAP so keep on your commander and keep helping the program.

pascocap2002

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 24, 2014, 08:01:19 PM

This is 100% true!!

Just attend the meetings you can, stay up to date with Safety (you can login to E-Services and take classes there to keep your safety active), and also take some online CAP courses. When you travel, visit other units and show your active in CAP, even if your not able to be active in your unit.