Promotion procedure for SM

Started by huey, December 26, 2013, 05:26:16 PM

huey

My promotion was due, the unit cmdr has approved 2 weeks ago, now waiting for the group cmdr approval. How long do I have to wait, per reg? Tks

EMT-83

What type of promotion; to what grade?

Eclipse

There is currently no requirement that promotion requests be acted upon in any certain amount of time, or for that
matter at all.

I don't believe the promotion system sends queue messages, so it's possible the Group CC is unaware it's even
waiting, or if he has a decent staff, might be waiting on something from his PDO.  This assumes the request was processed
via eServices.  Also, the group may have a policy on a promotion board, which can be anything from a phone call, round-robin
email, to an actual in-face staff meeting.

For me, personally, I think these things should be done in real-time, but some people like to let them age,
or only "do CAP stuff" once a week, or whatever, and don't see them as a priority.

On a few occasions I was also guilty of sitting quietly on a promotion and then showing up to a meeting
to personally pin a member, then punching the ticket from my phone.

No reason your unit CC can't ask - there should be no ambiguity in anyone's mind about how long this
takes. Having been on the waiting side of these things a few times myself, with no explanation,
I've been a vocal advocate that the regs should be clear as to a full timeline, with a requirement that
all included echelons respond to the request either approved or disapproved within a set timeframe.

2 weeks is no big deal, but a member should never be in the dark as to how long it takes or
where things are stuck.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyboy53

Quote from: huey on December 26, 2013, 05:26:16 PM
My promotion was due, the unit cmdr has approved 2 weeks ago, now waiting for the group cmdr approval. How long do I have to wait, per reg? Tks

Have your squadron commander check with Group to determine the status. Are there promotion boards in your state? Your nomination may be boarded

If your promotion is to captain or below, the group commander is the approval authority and can do that via e-services. Otherwise, I hope the Group Commander is aware of your service in order to sign it of.

If he or she is only signing off, then the paperwork is submitted to wing for the rest of the approval process -- which may require a mandatory board review at some point.

In other words, your promotion may be just days away or realistically up to 90 days.

Good Luck!

MSG Mac

Ideally the appointment should not take more than a few days. All electronically submitted promotions can be reviewed on line and a Promotion Board member can sign off as soon as they receive it. I have the same problem. A young 1Lt eligible for Captain   was submitted on 3 December, after 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails. The electronic membership system was supposed to eliminate delays, not extend them.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 26, 2013, 08:41:04 PMafter 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails.

That's unacceptable, no one is >that< busy that they can't either respond or delegate a response.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 26, 2013, 08:41:04 PMI have the same problem. A young 1Lt eligible for Captain   was submitted on 3 December, after 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails. The electronic membership system was supposed to eliminate delays, not extend them.

Make a phone call. eMail could have gone into a 'spam' folder.

Do not forget the Group CC has a life too. They may be on vacation, sick or whatever.  8)

a2capt

..and that does not mean things should come to halt.

They should have someone else delegated to handle things.

THRAWN

Not for nothing, but if it's that much of a priority, why use email? A phone call would get a faster response. Some people don't check their email on a regular basis, only if they know something is going to be coming in.

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 26, 2013, 08:41:04 PM
Ideally the appointment should not take more than a few days. All electronically submitted promotions can be reviewed on line and a Promotion Board member can sign off as soon as they receive it. I have the same problem. A young 1Lt eligible for Captain   was submitted on 3 December, after 2 e-mails to the Group CC, still no action, or even a response to the emails. The electronic membership system was supposed to eliminate delays, not extend them.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on December 26, 2013, 09:41:01 PMSome people don't check their email on a regular basis, only if they know something is going to be coming in.

That.
Is.
Ridiculous.

The average member is getting their email on a mobile device in real-time.

If you can't be bothered to be checking your email on at least a daily basis, you do not have the ability
to be a Commander in CAP in this day and age.

Period.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: a2capt on December 26, 2013, 09:35:29 PM
..and that does not mean things should come to halt.

They should have someone else delegated to handle things.

In a perfect world.

Now look at the perfect storm scenario. GPCD is on vacation out of state to see grandchildren and the GPCC has a stroke and their spouse has no CAP friends so who does the spouse suppose to call?

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 26, 2013, 09:54:00 PM
Now look at the perfect storm scenario. GPCD is on vacation out of state to see grandchildren and the GPCC has a stroke and their spouse has no CAP friends so who does the spouse suppose to call?

Yes, I'm sure this is what happened.  Also the FSM made his second coming and that interrupted email and cell service
in the exact coincidental area that these staff officers were in.

It's so hilarious to see the random "out of state" messages from staffers and commanders - HINT: It's 2013, there's no
such thing any more as "out of the office" or "out of touch".

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 09:57:23 PM
It's so hilarious to see the random "out of state" messages from staffers and commanders - HINT: It's 2013, there's no

Hate to disagree with you on this one sir.  But when I leave my workplace for a TDY or leave and post my out of office reply I am out of the office and not to be contacted.  Those that need to get ahold of me can, but that is on a contingency basis.

Private Investigator

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 26, 2013, 10:03:02 PM

Hate to disagree with you on this one sir.  But when I leave my workplace for a TDY or leave and post my out of office reply I am out of the office and not to be contacted.  Those that need to get ahold of me can, but that is on a contingency basis.

I concur. If I am tracking a $1M fugitive that is just what it is  8)

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 26, 2013, 10:03:02 PM

Well, then you're not "not replying" - a current OOO reply is silly and annoying to people who understand the internet,
but is at least a reply. 

There are plenty of paying jobs that allow people to delegate or defer responsibilities, but playing the "I don't check my email." game with
other volunteers as if you're special just isn't right.

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 26, 2013, 10:14:33 PM
I concur. If I am tracking a $1M fugitive that is just what it is  8)

Not the same thing as "I only check email if I'm expecting something."

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Cadets say "it must not have gone through" when they really should say "I forgot to send it".
Seniors say "it must not have gone through, you should resend it" when they really should say "I'm sorry, I checked and didn't do it".

Heh.

ProdigalJim

While I understand the sentiment, I have to respectfully disagree. There absolutely is such a thing as "out of touch," and I'm it right now. I've gone home to upstate NY for the holidays, and to get Internet (like right now) I have to drive into town and go to the coffee place. The house is 25 minutes away from town, in the woods, and out of cell and Internet range. To be honest, it's kind of nice...

I'm checking my CAP email, but only every couple of days. I've had two or three exchanges with my CDC, and tried to do one thing on eServices from Collegetown Bagels (and failed) and that's it. I'm logged in here this evening, but getting ready to depart the fix for the house, the tree and the wood stove...  ;)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

Everyone has a day or two where they wind up too busy or too mobile to be able to answer things in real-time, and
internet on planes, etc., isn't ubiquitous and is still pretty expensive, and there's the occasion where you
just want to "get away".

No issue there, but the excuses about "not regularly checking email", blah, blah, just don't fly anymore.

2 weeks is reasonable for an administrative action like a promotion - "no action" in Dec" especially if the echelon
requires an in-face board or discussion.

My point was that too many members are left in limbo for months, and for whatever reason when you
call people on that, the excuses come out.

Secondly, when you accept the command badge, you're free time becomes optional - you've accepted
the responsibility for the CAP experience of everyone in your unit or echelon.  If it's too much trouble to
check email once a day, or delegate when you're out of town, you should not be a commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Now......I too don't think anything should be delayed.

But.......

1.  Does your group have promotion boards?   When/how often are they held?
2.  December is a busy time for everyone.....you may just be on the bottom of the pile of "urgent" tasks.
3.  It is just CAP......while yes we should promote when they are deserved....but really let's keep things in perspective.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyboy53

Quote from: huey on December 26, 2013, 05:26:16 PM

BTW, you never said what promotion was pending?

If it's not too early, congrats in advance and thank you for your service to the CAP!