Started by JoeTomasone, December 16, 2013, 05:17:56 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 19, 2013, 05:23:07 AM
Quote from: Panache on December 19, 2013, 04:34:48 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 18, 2013, 08:11:43 PM
Quote from: Panache on December 18, 2013, 07:29:40 PM
Personally, I'm a tad paranoid about CPPT.  I live with the fear that, one day, some cadet will get mad at me and decide to ruin my life with a baseless allegation.

So not only do I follow CPPT without exception, I go above and beyond the requirements so that any accusation will be dismissed because it would be a physically impossibility.

So you transfered to a Senior squadron?

I do what I can to keep the squadron running, but really just avoid contact with the cadets, really.

There are cadets here. Careful, they might claim to talk to you via PM.

Easily proven (or disproven) via subpoena to the administrators of CAPTalk.

PHall

Quote from: Panache on December 19, 2013, 05:46:08 AM
Personally, I'm a tad paranoid about CPPT.  I live with the fear that, one day, some cadet will get mad at me and decide to ruin my life with a baseless allegation.

So not only do I follow CPPT without exception, I go above and beyond the requirements so that any accusation will be dismissed because it would be a physically impossibility.

I do what I can to keep the squadron running, but really just avoid contact with the cadets, really.

If you're this paranoid you probably need to leave CAP before you stress yourself out.

Panache

Quote from: PHall on December 19, 2013, 06:00:47 AM
If you're this paranoid you probably need to leave CAP before you stress yourself out.

This thread alone has several stories about false allegations from cadets, but I'm the one who's paranoid?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Panache on December 19, 2013, 05:46:08 AM

Deleted PMs. All the perverts are doing it. Sometimes they can be recovered, sometimes they can't.

Panache

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 19, 2013, 06:32:04 AM
Deleted PMs. All the perverts are doing it. Sometimes they can be recovered, sometimes they can't.

Lies.  LIES.  You're just trying to trick me!

Devil Doc

I'm Paranoid, Ill admit it. I dont like the Idea that my Family, Job and Life can be ruined from an accusation. Also, Im paranoid because the Treeples keep watching me.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Luis R. Ramos

Panache-

Are you Ground Team or UDF qualified? MRO? FLM or FLS?

If so, what do you do when assigned cadets?

>:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

^ None of those things require or should be assumed to only be cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Devil Doc on December 19, 2013, 12:58:38 PM
I'm Paranoid, Ill admit it. I dont like the Idea that my Family, Job and Life can be ruined from an accusation. Also, Im paranoid because the Treeples keep watching me.

I agree, it is like flying into a canyon, you should have a plan.

Accusations are just that. Look at 20/20 and every other month they have a story about somebody getting out of prison after 20 years for a killing they did not commit.  8)

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spaceman3750

It is entirely possible for a senior member to be a member of a composite squadron and not have much interaction with cadets. Just because they don't want to work directly with cadets as a CP officer doesn't mean they should go elsewhere. I, for one, only work with them in an ES context. All other times I let the CP folks do their job because they do it a heck of a lot better than I would.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Maybe I handled this wrong, but it is an example of really erring on the side of caution.

Back in the '90s, my favourite grandniece expressed a slight interest in CAP.  She was of age to be a cadet and I think she could have done well.

However, the squadron I was in at the time was over 30 miles away, and she would have had no way to get there but to ride with me.

I told her that, unfortunately, in the eyes of CAP, once the uniforms came on and we were on CAP time, I was no longer "Uncle."  I was "Lieutenant," and she would be "Cadet," and that the rules forbade senior members to be alone with cadets, even if they were related, though I think there's an exception for parents.

I talked about it with my squadron CC, who was and is a great guy, and the best CC I have ever had.  He is level-headed and rational, and not prone to over-emotionalism colouring his thinking.

He agreed with me.  This meant that, because she had no transportation to the meetings, she did not join.

I have second-guessed myself about that ever since.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

EMT-83

LSThiker

Quote from: CyBorg on December 20, 2013, 07:20:18 AM
  I was "Lieutenant," and she would be "Cadet," and that the rules forbade senior members to be alone with cadets, even if they were related, though I think there's an exception for parents.

If I remember correctly, even in the 90s that was never the case.  CPP never stated that seniors and cadets could not be one on one, although I think the basic intent was hidden in the training.  A lot of people had always made the assumption that was true and that was written in CPPT.  However, it was never put in writing.  Even in the new rewrites, they make an exception for family (although I cannot remember if they list it as immediate or not). 

Майор Хаткевич

Either way, it comes down to common sense and personal boundaries. If I had a nephew who I thought could potentially accuse me of anything inappropriate, chances are were not that close to begin with.

I've taken quick car rides with cadets from one side of the airport to the other. Never thought twice about it. Not much CYA, but hey, if life was all about CYA we'd be all extinct as the fear of being accused of rape would drive the birthrate to zero.

a2capt

Quote from: CyBorg on December 20, 2013, 07:20:18 AMI have second-guessed myself about that ever since.
:(

Record keeping, communication. Never hurts. Make a note to mom, "we're leaving now, it's 18:00..."  and sign in at the meeting, 18:45. Keep a mileage log in the car. "57,454/1850: departed O'Fallon", 57,487/1925: arrived Gateway Arch plaza". Slight simple stuff. Leave no time for impurities.

I tend to take photos at random places, with identifiable landmarks, with the phone when I want to mark time/place for record sake. The phone tags the photo with lat/long.  Yes, I know they can be edited, so can the paper log. so can a lot of things. But if someone says "they picked me up and drove for 2 hours to a weird place in the woods.."

Second, does the meeting/activity begin at your door, or at the time of sign/in/out?

Third, the parents are on board with the whole thing. There's a bit more accountability there than just running a "taxi service".

Can you cover for everything? No. You might need to move into a missile silo in the desert.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 20, 2013, 02:11:08 PM
^ That's just wrong, for many reasons.

Please do not rub it in.  I know quite well I may have deprived a very bright young girl (who is now married, with children of her own) of a fulfilling experience due to my overcaution.

Quote from: LSThiker on December 20, 2013, 03:04:39 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 20, 2013, 07:20:18 AM
I was "Lieutenant," and she would be "Cadet," and that the rules forbade senior members to be alone with cadets, even if they were related, though I think there's an exception for parents.

If I remember correctly, even in the 90s that was never the case.  CPP never stated that seniors and cadets could not be one on one, although I think the basic intent was hidden in the training.  A lot of people had always made the assumption that was true and that was written in CPPT.  However, it was never put in writing.  Even in the new rewrites, they make an exception for family (although I cannot remember if they list it as immediate or not). 

That is how it was presented to me in 1993, when I had my Level I.  It may have been because some of the incidents which brought about the strengthened CPPT were still so relatively recent, but it was presented to me that just one false allegation, rumour, innuendo, etc., would bring about a swift kick out the door of CAP.

It was so new that we were still using the BSA video.

If the family exemptions were as you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, I do not believe they would consider "granduncle/grandniece" to be "immediate."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: CyBorg on December 21, 2013, 12:26:00 AM
That is how it was presented to me in 1993, when I had my Level I.  It may have been because some of the incidents which brought about the strengthened CPPT were still so relatively recent, but it was presented to me that just one false allegation, rumour, innuendo, etc., would bring about a swift kick out the door of CAP.

It was so new that we were still using the BSA video.

If the family exemptions were as you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, I do not believe they would consider "granduncle/grandniece" to be "immediate."

It was presented to me in the same fashion as well.  I am not sure where that rumor came from, but if I recall correctly was never in the regulations.  It is a good personal policy and obviously your choice.  Throughout the years, I have had arguments against people accusing me of breaking the regulation.  However, when I would challenge them with the "show me where it says that", no one was able to present the passage. 

Either way, if you stuck to your personal preference, more power to you.  It obviously never hurts to have 3 people in a group.