Main Menu

How to get a promotion?

Started by SuperCAP, September 15, 2013, 07:06:55 PM

Critical AOA

True, having a CFI does not automatically give you Mission Pilot status or even a Form 5 but the potential is there for them to be major contributors and do it far more quickly than the freshly minted private pilots.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 17, 2013, 11:25:00 PM
True, having a CFI does not automatically give you Mission Pilot status or even a Form 5 but the potential is there for them to be major contributors and do it far more quickly than the freshly minted private pilots.

Potential is the key.  My thought is that until they prove that they will A. Get a Form 5. and B. Contribute as a IP or CP, they should not be promoted.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Mission Pilot on September 17, 2013, 11:28:28 PM

Potential is the key.  My thought is that until they prove that they will A. Get a Form 5. and B. Contribute as a IP or CP, they should not be promoted.

That is fair as long as no one slow plays their getting checked out or denying them a chance to serve in such a capacity for non legit reasons.  I would imagine a CFII / ATP could get through the various steps to qualifying pretty quickly. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 17, 2013, 11:33:42 PM
Quote from: Mission Pilot on September 17, 2013, 11:28:28 PM

That is fair as long as no one slow plays their getting checked out or denying them a chance to serve in such a capacity for non legit reasons.  I would imagine a CFII / ATP could get through the various steps to qualifying pretty quickly.

We all need to be clear about this, the Commander must certify that the member is contributing his or her special skills to the mission of CAP.  If you become an IP or CP then and only then are you contributing as a CFI and can be certified by your commander and forwarded to Group and/or Wing for promotion to Capt.  Just holding a CFI is NOT grounds for promotion.  Is this followed nationwide? Sadly no!

CAPR 35-5, Section D Mission Related Skills:

4-2. Eligibility Requirements.
a. Be at least 21 years of age.
b. Be a high school graduate (or educational equivalent).
c. Complete Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program. Upon completion of Level I training, members are encouraged to enter an appropriate functional specialty track, but Level II training is not mandatory for promotion under this section. (It should be noted, however, that members promoted under these provisions will not be eligible for promotion above the grade of captain until they have achieved the appropriate skill level.)
d. The member must also be certified by the unit commander as contributing his or her special skills to the mission of CAP and performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.
e. Be recommended by immediate superior and unit commander.

f. After initial appointment, members may advance to the grades authorized for higher mission related skills as higher ratings are obtained without reference to time-in-grade upon recommendation by the unit commander.

In a personal note, we have two fantastic CFI's that have completed their Form 5's and are working towards becoming IP/CP's.  They are both 1st Lt's.

RogueLeader

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 17, 2013, 11:07:14 PM
I'd much rather see a CFI type receive an advanced promotion than a chaplain or lawyer.  At least a CFI has mission skills that are useful at the squadron level.

I'll agree with you on the lawyer aspect.  There is really no real full time job for them at the squadron level.  I 100% disagree with you on Chaplains.  I'll forgo that in the Real Military, Chaplains promote to Captain fairly quickly, as compared to other regular officers.

I have found that properly trained Chaplains have an enormous benefit in a local unit.  They have been a Godsend (pun not intended) in more than once in my life, to where (sparing extremely private details) that they were there for me when I had no real person to turn to; that they had the training to help me deal with the issues that I needed immediate help.  They also have training in helping guide our cadets into being better adults.

Are there normal people that can do the same as chaplains, sure.  Can you find someone better than some Chaplains?  I'm sure you can.  However, on the large scale, I have found that Chaplains are better suited, and better trained, to helping do the jobs that they are expected to hold.

I would contend that the Chaplains biggest role is at the Squadron level, or at larger scale events, and not so much at the administration side (they are, just not so much.)

Just because non-belief exists, that does NOT mean that there is no value to what Chaplains bring.  I certainly think that it is worth the advanced promotion, provided as always, that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Unfortunately my experience with the Chaplain corps has not been as consistently positive.

I've had to deal with the text book pontificaters and evangelists, clergy that really had no idea what their role in CAP was supposed to be.
Honestly, they simply should not have been chaplains.

Thankfully, I had the good fortune to work with one Chaplain who was the very definition of what a CAP Chaplain should be - strong
in his personal faith, but inclusive and a servant of all.   We worked together for several years, but sadly he moved to another Wing,
where he is still serving.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Of all 5  Chaplains that I have had dealt with in CAP, all 5 have done exactly what they should be doing.  I am extremely sorry as to everyone that has dealt with those "Chaplains" that do NOT know the proper role of how they are expected to conduct themselves.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SunDog

No one faint if I agree with Eclipse a wee bit. Unless things have changed in the rules, you can take a Form 5 as soon as CAP takes you on - Level 1, etc., not required. My memory fades, but pretty sure I was an almost instant 2Lt, based on private pilot. Quite a while back, and maybe rules have changed? But I do remember a dust-up not too long ago, in my Wing; a check pilot didn't think he should do a Form 5 for a new guy, sans Level 1, and new guy MAY already have been 2Lt. I think it ended with the new guy getting the Form 5,  per Wing. amaybe we just needed pilots, and Wing made it happen?

Anyway, getting something in memory re: incident command and CAP in general might be a reasonable pre-req for 2Lt. Though I guess pursuing it all concurrently is O.K., too.

SunDog

I'll add that a CFI wouldn't have to be a CAP IP or CP to contribute based on his special skills. A lot of CFIs teach ground school, have much to say about aviation safety, tips and techniques to benefit other pilots, things like that. Hit the ground running, so to speak. Maybe throw him at safety officer track, and tell him you'll promote him if spares you  your 123rd briefing on hyperthermia?

We had a CFI/CFII, ATP, etc. Took a long time to get him CAP IP, I think because someone had recently pranged a 182 while under instruction with a CAP IP. That poor soul was, of course, immedialey thrown under the bus, and it made Wing skittish about handing out IP and CP. They got so skittish, we didn't have a CP available for Form 91s for a couple of months.

Unfortunatly, we lost our CFI/CFII ATP for reasons that will annoy folks if I repeat them here.

Eclipse

Level 1 is not required to take a Form 5 checkride by regulation, however wings are allowed to have
more strict policies.  Also, since members are restricted from USAF-style uniforms until Level I is complete,
the flight would need to be completed in a corporate uniform.

A new member cannot be promoted to any CAP grade until their Level I is complete.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Unless things have changed very recently, you can't do ANYTHING in CAP as a senior member until you complete Level I.

From CAPR 50-17:

3-1. Participation. CAP requires senior members to complete Level I training prior to receiving any assigned duty position in the unit, directly supervising cadets on their own, being allowed to wear the Air Force-style CAP uniform, becoming eligible for promotion, or enrolling in AU A4/6 courses.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SunDog

That would limit them to CAP Pilot, then.  No TMP, probably. . .

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: SunDog on September 18, 2013, 04:22:26 AM
I'll add that a CFI wouldn't have to be a CAP IP or CP to contribute based on his special skills. A lot of CFIs teach ground school, have much to say about aviation safety, tips and techniques to benefit other pilots, things like that. Hit the ground running, so to speak. Maybe throw him at safety officer track, and tell him you'll promote him if spares you  your 123rd briefing on hyperthermia?

We had a CFI/CFII, ATP, etc. Took a long time to get him CAP IP, I think because someone had recently pranged a 182 while under instruction with a CAP IP. That poor soul was, of course, immedialey thrown under the bus, and it made Wing skittish about handing out IP and CP. They got so skittish, we didn't have a CP available for Form 91s for a couple of months.

Unfortunatly, we lost our CFI/CFII ATP for reasons that will annoy folks if I repeat them here.

I'll bet it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference if the member was a 1st Lt or a Capt.  I would think that 99% of CFI's don't care what rank they are.

A CFI in CAP that is not an IP/CP would not teach ground school.  They can talk about Aviation Safety and give tips and tricks as a 1st Lt, they don't need to be Capt's.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 18, 2013, 04:45:18 AM
Unless things have changed very recently, you can't do ANYTHING in CAP as a senior member until you complete Level I.

From CAPR 50-17:

3-1. Participation. CAP requires senior members to complete Level I training prior to receiving any assigned duty position in the unit, directly supervising cadets on their own, being allowed to wear the Air Force-style CAP uniform, becoming eligible for promotion, or enrolling in AU A4/6 courses.

YMMV.

I would have agreed as well, and as a Commander would enforce that, but the KB is asserting differently.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on September 18, 2013, 04:45:18 AM

From CAPR 50-17:

YMMV.
That list is specific.

A Form 5, provided you do it in either a member-owned aircraft sans uniform, or in a corporate uniform (AF-Style Uni being one of the prohibitions) are not in the list as prohibited activities for a member who has not completed Level 1.

It doesn't require an assigned duty position
It doesn't require supervision of cadets, either on their own or in concert with another member
It doesn't require the wear of an AF style uniform
It doesn't require the member to be eligible for promotion
It's not an AU A4/6 course.

The language used indicates that that which is not prohibited is permitted.

JeffDG

Quote from: SunDog on September 18, 2013, 04:59:05 AM
That would limit them to CAP Pilot, then.  No TMP, probably. . .
TMP requires completion of GES, and GES requires completion of Level 1.

Critical AOA

It's not like Level 1 is difficult or takes more than a few hours to breeze through.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 18, 2013, 10:08:50 PM
It's not like Level 1 is difficult or takes more than a few hours to breeze through.

Exactly, especially since even more of it is online...  My thought is show me your level of interest.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mission Pilot on September 18, 2013, 10:16:11 PM
Exactly, especially since even more of it is online...

The latest rev of Level I moves a lot of it back off line and into mandated conversations, and includes several quizzes.

Details were included in the draft update to 52-10.

I agree, though, it's not difficult, and realistically, should anyone be flying our planes that hasn't even gotten that baseline understanding?

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Agreed. Level 1 should be an absolute must.   I hate some of the road blocks that are frequently thrown in our way but I am a firm believer in speed bumps.