Main Menu

How to get a promotion?

Started by SuperCAP, September 15, 2013, 07:06:55 PM

SuperCAP

I'm new to CAP (about 4 months or so).  I've completed lvl1 and I'm working on lvl2.  I'm just wondering how I go about the process of promoting my rank above Senior Member?  Somebody mentioned that if you have your pilots license then that can help you get promoted as well.  I'm a CFI/CFII and ATP pilot with about 5,000 hrs.  Who do I contact to start working on a promotion?  Thanks!

cm42

Your local professional development officer should be able to assist. You should also consult the regulation (CAPR 35-5).

AlphaSigOU

Since you're new to CAP. you get a free pass here before others scream "RTFM!!!"

Completion of Level I and six months time in grade and at least age 21 makes you eligible for duty performance promotion to 2d Lt.

For a mission skills-related promotion, read CAP Regulation 35-5. Be aware that you are expected to contribute those skills to CAP and to continue your professional development. Your squadron's professional development officer should help you get squared away in preparing the paperwork to be submitted for approval through channels. Promotion to an advanced grade is not automatic.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Critical AOA

Having your CFI/CFII or ATP after achieving Level 1 qualifies you to be promoted to Captain with command approval.  If you plan to contribute your CFI skills, this should be easily approved. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SunDog

Cool!

You are a mirror image of a new guy we have - it took some paper chasing, but he was Capt in a couple (2? 3?) months, I think. Someone, somewhere, wanted proof of having done 100 hours of dual as a CFI. No idea if that was legit, local push back, or whatever, as it didn't turn out to be an issue for him.

If you want to instruct, get in CLOSE touch with your Wing Stan/Eval. What is published nationally is always "interperted" locally.

Stay patient, keep your name in front of Stan/Eval, and let the wheels turn. It may take a while, bit once over the hump, the "overhead" slims down.

EMT-83

The way it's supposed to work, you Form 5 then get promoted. Become a CAP CFI, get promoted again.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 15, 2013, 09:26:29 PM
The way it's supposed to work, you Form 5 then get promoted. Become a CAP CFI, get promoted again.

+1 - Do something CAP that shows your time commitment, etc., then look to be promoted.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: SunDog on September 15, 2013, 08:57:37 PMSomeone, somewhere, wanted proof of having done 100 hours of dual as a CFI. No idea if that was legit, local push back, or whatever, as it didn't turn out to be an issue for him.
It's either required, in writing, in a regulation or approved supplement, or it's hoops and hurdles.

But you should know if it is, or not. But all the shenanigans you describe on the flight release process makes me believe the latter.

SunDog

Quote from: a2capt on September 16, 2013, 12:58:23 AM
Quote from: SunDog on September 15, 2013, 08:57:37 PMSomeone, somewhere, wanted proof of having done 100 hours of dual as a CFI. No idea if that was legit, local push back, or whatever, as it didn't turn out to be an issue for him.
It's either required, in writing, in a regulation or approved supplement, or it's hoops and hurdles.

But you should know if it is, or not. But all the shenanigans you describe on the flight release process makes me believe the latter.

Oh, no, my bad - I plead ignorance - it might be legit, I just don't know, either way. I'm not a CAP IP, and it wasn't my issue to tackle. Just heard thr conversation, then later heard it was resolved.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Eclipse on September 15, 2013, 10:36:03 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on September 15, 2013, 09:26:29 PM

+1 - Do something CAP that shows your time commitment, etc., then look to be promoted.

+2 Local requirements for Command approval may vary, for our Squadron when you pass your Form 5 and have a CFI I will promote to 1st Lt, become a CAP IP, and I'll recommend you for promotion to Capt.

SunDog

Our guy isn't a CAP IP,  but is a Capt.  Not up on the workings - what i heard over the years was 2Lt for private pilot, 1Lt for an instrument rating, Capt for a CFI (or ATP, obviously).

That's what I've seen happen over the last decade or so in my Wing. Nothing about having to be a CAP IP, but I guess it can vary Wing to Wing.

I have noticed pretty much "auto-advanced" grade for other specialities (lawyer, chaplain, etc.) in my Wing, so if it's done for attorney's, CPAs, etc, it would definitley follow it should happen for Pilots with advanced quals.

Shuman 14

You get paid more when you get promoted... right?  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

a2capt

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on September 16, 2013, 06:57:02 AM
Double your salary!

I thought it was ten times - an order of magnitude.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on September 16, 2013, 07:20:30 AM
Quote from: a2capt on September 16, 2013, 06:57:02 AM
Double your salary!

I thought it was ten times - an order of magnitude.  ;)
Yep, another zero on the paycheque.

EMT-83

Quote from: SunDog on September 16, 2013, 04:45:59 AM
Our guy isn't a CAP IP,  but is a Capt.  Not up on the workings - what i heard over the years was 2Lt for private pilot, 1Lt for an instrument rating, Capt for a CFI (or ATP, obviously).

That's what I've seen happen over the last decade or so in my Wing. Nothing about having to be a CAP IP, but I guess it can vary Wing to Wing.

I have noticed pretty much "auto-advanced" grade for other specialities (lawyer, chaplain, etc.) in my Wing, so if it's done for attorney's, CPAs, etc, it would definitley follow it should happen for Pilots with advanced quals.

Not so automatic. There are 3 requirements for a Mission Related Skill promotion:  A) Possess the skill; B) Contribute the skill to CAP; C) Be performing at the level of the grade being promoted to.

People are quick to jump on the first one, and just as quick to ignore the second two. Unfortunately, we have too many instant Captains who don't have a clue about how CAP works.

Private Investigator

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 16, 2013, 01:20:01 PM
Quote from: SunDog on September 16, 2013, 04:45:59 AM

Not so automatic. There are 3 requirements for a Mission Related Skill promotion:  A) Possess the skill; B) Contribute the skill to CAP; C) Be performing at the level of the grade being promoted to.

People are quick to jump on the first one, and just as quick to ignore the second two. Unfortunately, we have too many instant Captains who don't have a clue about how CAP works.

Exactly.  :clap:

SunDog

We'll get him in a seminary school ASAP. We already have a lawyer. . .

Critical AOA

I'd much rather see a CFI type receive an advanced promotion than a chaplain or lawyer.  At least a CFI has mission skills that are useful at the squadron level.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 17, 2013, 11:07:14 PM
I'd much rather see a CFI type receive an advanced promotion than a chaplain or lawyer.  At least a CFI has mission skills that are useful at the squadron level.

I'm of two minds on "mission skills" promotions - I understand the concept, but until you can provide a "mission skill" you shouldn't
be requesting a promotion.

It takes the average member, especially pilots, 6 months to a year to be of any real value to CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"