Main Menu

Getting on base

Started by ARandomCadet, July 11, 2013, 04:27:41 AM

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2013, 11:55:37 PM
The Air Force quit issuing Decals about 6 years ago. Sounds like the rest of DoD may follow suit.

Some bases like a few in Ca quit using them and violated a MOA with the state in the process.  Gradually they were phased out and last I knew was that out of state vehicles still had to have them to show they were complying with the state's emissions laws.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 23, 2013, 03:40:04 AM
The Air Force quit issuing Decals about 6 years ago. Sounds like the rest of DoD may follow suit.

Some bases like a few in Ca quit using them and violated a MOA with the state in the process.  Gradually they were phased out and last I knew was that out of state vehicles still had to have them to show they were complying with the state's emissions laws.

Nope, Base Decal does not show that you're complying with the state vehicle registration laws.
If California is your legal residence, then you HAVE to register your vehicle in the state and get it smogged.
If you're a resident of another state then you don't have to register your vehicle in California and you don't need to get a smog cert.
The decal just shows that this vehicle has been registered on a DOD installation. And with the mandatory 100% ID checks, they're useless.

abdsp51

Beg to differ.  Travis ran this gambit through legal who pointed out that there was a MOA with the state that vehicles be smogged to show compliance.  In order to receive your decal you had to show it was smogged and up until I want to say last year if you had out of state plates you had to have a smog cert to get a decal and you had to have the decal.  It was pointed out when the transition was occuring that the rest of the bases had violated this agreement.

a2capt

When my brother was still AD, he had cars registered in other states and had decals issued by Navy Region SW and Camp Pendleton.

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on July 23, 2013, 05:18:45 AM
When my brother was still AD, he had cars registered in other states and had decals issued by Navy Region SW and Camp Pendleton.

Pendleton is getting rid of them but from what I get from the gate guards at the Navy weapons storage Seal Beach is still using them.  Haven't seen any scanners being used either.

abdsp51

It's all dependent upon the service branch mainly.  Some areas still use the 2220 regardless of what branch you are, others like the AF have slowly been phasing out the 2220 in favor of the ID checks and DBIDS.  We were using DBIDS in Korea back in 2003 so the system has been around for awhile. 

SARDOC

QuoteAnd with the mandatory 100% ID checks, they're useless.

Well, not completely.  The Navy has announced that service wide they are abandoning the DoD decal.  However, some installations are requiring some service members to continue using them primarily due to parking enforcement.  There are areas of fleet parking that are identified for officers and E-7's and above.  There are other areas identified for contractors.  The base police use these decals to identify vehicles improperly parked.  They've also listed vehicles with access to restricted areas using the DoD decal identification number and they are in the process of changing that to the license plate number, but some states don't require a front license plate making it more difficult for the sentry working the restricted gate.

SarDragon

MCAS Miramar still requires, and issues, decals. Don't know how long it will last, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Well, if you want to stir the pot a little ask your Congresscritter why the Air Force was able to get rid of the expense of issuing base decals while the other branches are still issuing them.
Did the Air Force screw up or are the other branches wasting a bunch of money?
Depending on where your Congresscritter sits in the capitol it could result in some interesting questions during the DOD authorization bill hearings! >:D

AirDX

Quote from: UH60guy on July 22, 2013, 02:28:22 PM
Ah. Around these parts they're still using the Mark-I Eyeball to scan IDs...
Same at JB-PHH.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AirDX

Depends on where you are.  On Hickam they've stopped, started, stopped, started... got my most recent one a year ago.  I'll find out when mine all expire in October.

AirDX

Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2013, 04:30:08 AM
Nope, Base Decal does not show that you're complying with the state vehicle registration laws.

It do on JP-PHH.  At least you were at the time you got the sticker.  Have to show valid registration, insurance and safety inspection to get it.  And the guards at the gates occasionally spot check for valid registration, insurance and safety inspection.

PHall

Quote from: AirDX on July 25, 2013, 01:26:38 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2013, 04:30:08 AM

It do on JP-PHH.  At least you were at the time you got the sticker.  Have to show valid registration, insurance and safety inspection to get it.  And the guards at the gates occasionally spot check for valid registration, insurance and safety inspection.

They do that pretty much everywhere.  They have to do a certain number of "random" vehicle searches each month.

EMT-83

While none of this is secret, why are we discussing base security in an open forum? There are a lot of details being posted about facilities around the country.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 25, 2013, 11:59:33 AM
While none of this is secret, why are we discussing base security in an open forum? There are a lot of details being posted about facilities around the country.

I don't know, but we shouldn't - it's generally a new member or cadet with no real business there acting like a tourist.

If you have actual business on a military base, be it access to MCSS, unit meeting, or some activity, you'll get the information you
need when you need it, and nothing we can provide here that will be more current or useful.

Every wing has an assigned State Director LRADO, if no one in your immediate circle has the answer, contact the LRADO or his locally-assigned
PIC on the volunteer side (every wing is supposed to have one of those, too).

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

LRADO?  Isn't that in Texas?  Oops, sorry. ;D

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw