Just for laughs- what your badges really say

Started by UH60guy, June 09, 2013, 12:51:12 AM

UH60guy

This came about when someone asked me about having both pilot and parachutist wings on my BDUs, and it got me thinking... I wonder what messages could be conferred by your chosen badge combinations?

I have three badges- army aviator, basic parachutist, and ground team member. Here's some thoughts of what the combos you wear really say. Anyone else have funny combos to their badges?

Army aviator + parachutist: don't fly with me, I forgot how to autorotate.

Aviator + ground team member: I can find my own way home for the crash site thankyouverymuch.

Parachutist + ground team member: I heard a rumor on CAP Talk that we were starting a pararescue track and I wanted to get to work on my Technician rating.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

NC Hokie

Quote from: UH60guy on June 09, 2013, 12:51:12 AM
This came about when someone asked me about having both pilot and parachutist wings on my BDUs, and it got me thinking... I wonder what messages could be conferred by your chosen badge combinations?

You can't wear both of these on BDUs, but a ground team badge and a cadet programs badge: for when the cadets get lost in the woods. Again.

>:D
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

AngelWings

May I ask how a pilot ends up with parachutist wings? Why would a pilot jump out of a perfectly good plane/helicopter!?!  >:D

PHall

Quote from: AngelWings on June 09, 2013, 02:57:26 AM
May I ask how a pilot ends up with parachutist wings? Why would a pilot jump out of a perfectly food plane/helicopter!?!  >:D

What's a "food plane"?  Is it like a food truck?  Do you know any that serve a good Philly Cheese Steak? >:D

NorCal21

Quote from: NC Hokie on June 09, 2013, 02:56:17 AM

You can't wear both of these on BDUs, but a ground team badge and a cadet programs badge: for when the cadets get lost in the woods. Again.

Why?

UH60guy

May I ask how a pilot ends up with parachutist wings? Why would a pilot jump out of a perfectly good plane/helicopter!?!  >:D

Assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division. At the time EVERYBODY jumped. Never mind it made no sense, but I took their jump pay check to the bank nevertheless!
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

unmlobo

AF Weather Tech+Senior Ground Team= I can forecast weather for the rescue missions OR trying to become the first CAP SOWT.  Just need to go to Airborne or Air Assault, maybe if I get an Army Support assignment.
Major, CAP
HI WG

PHall

Quote from: UH60guy on June 09, 2013, 04:22:36 AM

Assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division. At the time EVERYBODY jumped. Never mind it made no sense, but I took their jump pay check to the bank nevertheless!

Or an Army or Air Force pilot who is a graduate of West Point/Air Force Academy. Many academy students earn their jump wings while at the academy.

Oh, and everybody assigned to the 82d is still required to be jump qualified.

NIN

See, I wanted to go to Airborne School and they told me "We don't need airborne-qualified mechanics. You all fly to the field in other helicopters."

But then, I was in Chinooks.  I can see why they would train & equip you guys in UH-60s to jump.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on June 09, 2013, 02:10:23 PM

Or an Army or Air Force pilot who is a graduate of West Point/Air Force Academy. Many academy students earn their jump wings while at the academy.

You're 100% sure about that Phil?

I saw some folks wearing patches for 82nd Abn Div who didn't have lead sleds when I was at Bragg.  Not a lot, but enough that I noticed them.

My buddy took a job with the Flippers for 2 years when they decided he'd spent enough time in the 160th (9 years at Campbell, if you can believe that one!), and he's not airborne qualified.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

UH60guy

They took the aviation brigade off jump status while I was there in 2006. Some more of the support units don't jump anymore either now that they realized how much it was costing them in jump pay and medical treatment just for maintaining the tradition of an entirely airborne division. Granted, most of those in the brigade combat teams still jump though.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

UH60guy

"Again"- ha! Nice one.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

NorCal21

I have three badges- army aviator, basic parachutist, and ground team member. Here's some thoughts of what the combos you wear really say. Anyone else have funny combos to their badges?

Army aviator + parachutist: don't fly with me, I forgot how to autorotate.

Aviator + ground team member: I can find my own way home for the crash site thankyouverymuch.

Parachutist + ground team member: I heard a rumor on CAP Talk that we were starting a pararescue track and I wanted to get to work on my Technician rating.

Haha, this message board really could use a like button!

NorCal21

I'm still confused as to why you can't wear jump wings and pilot wings together on the BDU. According to the AF you can. Is there a CAP regulation saying no?

UH60guy

I think he's referring to the cadet programs badge there.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

NorCal21

Quote from: UH60guy on June 09, 2013, 04:25:36 PM

OK. I spent about 20 minutes looking it up last night. I couldn't find anything other the AFI to support wearing the two.

From what the AF says you can wear three total sew-ons on the BDU with a maximum of two being occupational badges.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on June 09, 2013, 02:31:50 PM
Quote from: PHall on June 09, 2013, 02:10:23 PM

You're 100% sure about that Phil?

I saw some folks wearing patches for 82nd Abn Div who didn't have lead sleds when I was at Bragg.  Not a lot, but enough that I noticed them.

My buddy took a job with the Flippers for 2 years when they decided he'd spent enough time in the 160th (9 years at Campbell, if you can believe that one!), and he's not airborne qualified.

All I know is what I dumped out the back of the jet over (maybe!) the DZ. 
150 bodies, all jumping "Hollywood", so they could keep getting that "I'm too stupid to stay in the plane" pay! >:D

PHall

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 09, 2013, 04:36:43 PM
Quote from: UH60guy on June 09, 2013, 04:25:36 PM

OK. I spent about 20 minutes looking it up last night. I couldn't find anything other the AFI to support wearing the two.

From what the AF says you can wear three total sew-ons on the BDU with a maximum of two being occupational badges.

There is no cloth Cadet Programs badge...

caphornbuckle

Why would a pilot jump out of a perfectly good plane/helicopter!?!  >:D

Being a military aircraft, it's hard to say "perfectly good"!  Eliminate the "perfectly" or as I would say, "jump out of a somewhat capable aircraft".

No offense to the wrench turners, it was rarely their fault...at least that's the excuse they gave me!  ;)
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

NIN

People say that to me all the time "Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

My reply is "You haven't seen the airplane."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP