Main Menu

Paying for College

Started by ZombieButter, May 13, 2013, 03:18:24 PM

ZombieButter

So my goal is to become a Civil Engineer in the Air Force,and the only thing I am having trouble getting info for is college. I have no clue what to do. Looking at the cost of college in itself is crazy, and isn't really the brightest part of my day. What are some cheaper ways to get a good college ROTC education mostly paid for by the military? I will be applying to the USAFA but I doubt I would be getting in anytime soon. I thought of doing ROTC and the AF reserves, but apparently there is a rule against double-dipping. Could I stay in the reserves and then dropout when I get accepted into ROTC, so I could at least have a paycheck in the meantime? Something to keep in mind is that I am home schooled and have a weird schedule. I only have 3 classes to finish(Math, science, finance) before I legally graduate high school sometime during the holidays, and I also already have 30 college credit hours through C.L.E.P..

Thanks in advance!

Pylon

You can't just "drop out of the Reserves" voluntarily once you've signed an enlistment contract.  However, if you do get accepted to a commissioning program they do have the ability (at their discretion) to release you from the remainder of your enlistment obligation.

You should still apply for the Academy, even if you don't think you're going to get in.  Don't sell yourself short.  You can also apply to all of the academies and cross-commission in the Air Force from any of them, so I wouldn't limit yourself to just USAFA.  Apply to USMA at West Point, Annapolis, etc.

The National Guard and Air National Guard often have the best college tuition programs and flexibility among the military enlistment options (See http://www.military.com/education/money-for-school/national-guard-tuition-assistance.html and related searches).  You can be a part-time guardsman (and even look for opportunities to enlist into an engineering-related AFSC or MOS) and get various forms of tuition assistance (sometimes up to 100%) to pay for your college education.   

The Reserves also have enlistment options (including the split 92-day reservist option).  I know several fellow reservists who are going to college full-time between drills.  But the Reserves sometimes have less tuition assistance options than the Guard.

The catch with either of course is that you may still be deployed and may have to miss a semester or two for those types of contingencies.   Enlisting in the Reserves or Air Guard will also open opportunities for you to earn college credits or take free courses through avenues like CCAF (Community College of the Air Force).  CCAF will also grant you college credits for your tech school and Air Force training.  The enlisted time will also contribute to your background and skills as an officer and give you a far earlier PEBD (Pay Entry Base Date) meaning higher pay if and when you do eventually commission.

If you want to commission in the Air Guard, it's also known that the Air Guard likes to commission from among their own ranks (i/e: guardsmen who have spent some enlisted time with them and have demonstrated their abilities and commitment).

Your best bet would be to talk to some enlisted recruiters for both the reserves and the Air National Guard, as well as academy representatives, and ROTC representatives to find out all the details, commitments, options, and funding available through all of the sources out there.  Then do a comparison of pros and cons for each and weigh them yourself.  Only you can decide the best course of action for you.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Consider the US Merchant Marine Academy. It's graduates get to chose their service, including USAF.

To help pay for college, research scholarships based on your ethnic background. It sounds crazy, but there are *-American associations and groups for almost every ethnic background. Some of these do award scholarships to students. Also research the Civil Engineering professional societies to see what they offer.

I presume you're a cadet, so look into the CAP scholarships. It's usually not a large amount ($500-$1000, IIRC), but every bit helps. You need to have completed your Mitchell.

Also, look in to the National Guard. Some may do exactly what you want - pay for college while serving in the guard and getting a commission when you graduate. Paycheck and experience while getting an education. Additionally, some states offer reduced or free tuition for guard members.

LGM30GMCC

You can also pursue an ROTC scholarship (not sure if CE counts as engineering for the higher paying ones). If you receive a scholarship from ROTC you do get a small stipend ($250/month Freshman Year, increasing to $400/month for Seniors, at least as of 6 years ago). If the scholarship pays for your entire tuition (which it can depending where you go) then you can often use any other scholarships for Room/Board, other grants or student loans (not always the best option, but still some of the cheapest money you can burrow for school) to also defray the cost of living. Then when you commission you can resist the urge to buy a sexy new car, and use that pay to pay back loans quickly and the like. Or invest money and pay off the loans over a greater length of time.

MSG Mac

Speak to the Commander of the ROTC on the campus you plan on attending about what the costs are and what options are available. As stated in other posts the NG has commissioning programs, one of which has you attending ROTC and drilling with a unit, with a commission at the end. (You are not deployable while in that program). Check on scholarships from every source. CAP, Engineering Societies, etc. There are web sites that can help you search them out. Have you been accepted into an engineering program yet? If not, that is your first priority.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jimmydeanno

A certain family member of mine joined the Air National Guard and did ROTC at the same time.  The Guard had tuition waiver, as long as she went to a state school (I.e. she didn't have to pay for school).  If you enlist for 4 years, most likely you're enlistment will end about the time you commission (you'll need 30 days in between).  If you finish school beforehand, the Guard can release you from your commitment early (make sure your leadership knows your intent to do this well before.)

If you can't get a scholarship, it might delay you a little (having to go to basic and tech school), but school would be "free."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Private Investigator

I am guessing you are a Cadet. Apply for scholarships and see what happens. Also Community College is an option.

ROTC does not guarentee a commission. Good luck and stay strong.

SARDOC

Arajca...is correct graduates of the USMMA get to apply to whichever branch they choose upon graduation...or they can choose to work in the Maritime industry to fulfill their obligation.

That being said...The Best advice I recommend it the AIR NATIONAL GUARD.  In my state, the Federal Government does 100%tuition assistance and the State pays for Room and board for any state school.  Plus you have a Part time job for extra beerspending money.  These students have the option of the simultaneous membership program (SMR) which allows them to take and participate in the ROTC program without the necessary service obligation at the end.

Flying Pig

Quote from: SARDOC on May 14, 2013, 01:46:06 PM
Arajca...is correct graduates of the USMMA get to apply to whichever branch they choose upon graduation...or they can choose to work in the Maritime industry to fulfill their obligation.

I dont know much about the USMMA...  but if I understand correctly, none of the other services are under any obligation to accept you right?  Now, I have to imagine out of the services, someone will. Can USMMA grads apply to the USCG also?   So unlike the other services being commissioned on graduation day, a USMMA cadet would graduate and then have to go through OCS or do they apply while they are in the academy and attend their training throughout the course of their 4 years and get their bars on grad day?   

So this explains why I have seen USMMA cadets with Marine Corps God and Anchors on their uniforms.   Makes sense now.  I thought maybe they were prior service. 

Critical AOA

I know college has gotten more expensive since I went but has it gotten so much more complicated to figure out the options and what to do?  I would think that with the internet that gathering information and the proper forms would be so much easier than in the pre-internet days.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on May 17, 2013, 11:30:50 PM
I know college has gotten more expensive since I went but has it gotten so much more complicated to figure out the options and what to do?  I would think that with the internet that gathering information and the proper forms would be so much easier than in the pre-internet days.

Exactly. With Google Fu anything is possible.   8)

Private Investigator

My father was a 30 year man in the Merchant Marine, WWII, Korea and Viet Nam.

Anywho I had a HS classmate who was accepted to USMMA and left after a year. USMMA is not a 'free' ride. He wanted easy and turned out it was just as tough as West Point. YMMV

GroundHawg

If the OP doesnt think they are not going to be competitive enough to get into the USAFA, they will not get into the USMMA, or USMA, or USNA, or USCGA. Its not like the USMMA is any less selective or any easier.

As far as double dipping, I dont know who told you that you cannot, but you can serve in the reserves or guard and be a rotc cadet at the same time. You just cant have a full ROTC scholarship AND have a Tuition waiver at the same time effectively pocketing the scholarship money.

My advice would be to find a local Air Guard or Air Reserve unit near a reasonably priced college that has Air Force ROTC (or a crosstown agreement) and talk to the recruiters and the ROTC staff.
Use your google ninja skills to find a geographic area with AF ROTC, AF Guard/Reserve, and a University that offers a BA or BS in Engineering. (University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Cincinnati here locally)
Maybe there will even be a CE unit (if your super lucky a REDHORSE) and you can get the enlisted point of view in your future career field. You will also kill off a lot of electives with your CCAF credits from basic and tech school. You will earn some cash from drill weekends, maybe pull a tdy during the summer, grab some schools from ROTC, and comeout that much better an officer for you hard work and enlisted experience.
Take inter-session or summer courses if you can (they are a quick way to rack up extra hours and the proffessors dont want to be there anymore than you do)
Dont quit or take a break, focus on learning more than social activities and you will be good to go.

bosshawk

Whomever made the comment that if one academy turns you down, the others will also is not necessarily correct.  I have been a West Point Admissions Liaison Officer for about as long as I can remember.

There are often extenuating circumstances that get you turned down at one academy and accepted at another.  I have a young man who is currently finishing his first year at West Point who was turned down by USAFA for a medical issue: West Point put him in for a waiver and got it.  He has burned up the Plain at West Point.

If the young man has questions about both West Point and ROTC, have him PM me.  I am a Distinguished Graduate from ROTC at Bucknell University.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SARDOC

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 17, 2013, 02:46:51 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on May 14, 2013, 01:46:06 PM

I dont know much about the USMMA...  but if I understand correctly, none of the other services are under any obligation to accept you right?  Now, I have to imagine out of the services, someone will. Can USMMA grads apply to the USCG also?   So unlike the other services being commissioned on graduation day, a USMMA cadet would graduate and then have to go through OCS or do they apply while they are in the academy and attend their training throughout the course of their 4 years and get their bars on grad day?   

So this explains why I have seen USMMA cadets with Marine Corps God and Anchors on their uniforms.   Makes sense now.  I thought maybe they were prior service.

Graduates from the USMMA Graduate and become Commissioned Ensigns in the United States Naval Reserve.  They have the option of applying to the different Military Services, Yes, Coast Guard included.  The Service will make the determination on whether to accept the Graduate...If accepted, they Become Commissioned in that Branch, No OCS because they just graduated a military service academy.  I think some may offer a knife and fork school for their particular branch of service.

If a Graduate is not accepted for any Active Duty Commission by any branch of service, they remain Ensigns in the Navy Reserve and have to seek employment in for at least verifiable years in the Maritime industry.  They must submit a letter from a qualifying Maritime Employer every year for the Five Years.  When a Midshipman graduates from the USMMA they have a Coast Guard First Mate's License...pretty close to a Captain's license so finding Maritime Employment isn't usually that difficult for them.  They have to remain obligated to the Merchant Marine for 5 years after graduation.

It's really kind of neat, I recently spoke to a few graduates...one is an Army Airborne Captain, and the other was a Coast Guard Lieutenant on a Tactical Law Enforcement team.  I wish I knew about these opportunities when I was that young.

Flying Pig

What qualifies as maritime employment?

SARDOC

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 19, 2013, 08:32:31 PM
What qualifies as maritime employment?

That's determined by the Secretary of Transportation.  See the link below for official details

http://www.usmma.edu/admissions/application/service-obligation

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 18, 2013, 05:04:41 PM

Anywho I had a HS classmate who was accepted to USMMA and left after a year. USMMA is not a 'free' ride. He wanted easy and turned out it was just as tough as West Point. YMMV
Its free for your wallet but thats the only thing it's free on. And to whoever said USMMA is just as exclusive as USNA OR USAFA, that's not true. The USMMA has an acceptance rate of 20% while USNA has as acceptance rate of 7.5%

GroundHawg

Quote from: That Anonymous Guy on May 20, 2013, 12:20:31 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on May 18, 2013, 05:04:41 PM

Its free for your wallet but thats the only thing it's free on. And to whoever said USMMA is just as exclusive as USNA OR USAFA, that's not true. The USMMA has an acceptance rate of 20% while USNA has as acceptance rate of 7.5%

USNA 7%
USMA 11%
USAFA 9%
USCGA 16% (no nomination needed)
USMMA 14%

Your correct it not as "exclusive" as you put it, but these numbers are based on applications accepted. How many more thousands of applications do you think the USNA receives per year than the USMMA?
USNA recieved over 20K applications last year for 1400 slots. The USMMA recieved 2K applications for 285 open slots.
You will say percentages dont lie, I say most people have never even heard of the USMMA and are unaware of its existance. If they knew maybe more would be applying for fewer slots?

Also it is widely known that the USNA has a tendency to distort their numbers to appear more selective. If its in the Navytimes it has to be true  ;)

bosshawk

USMA had almost 16k files opened this past year: that means that some young person bothered to open an email account with the Academy and then fill out preliminary data.  About 8500 actually completed all or most of the application: about 1800 were offered admission and there will be a class of 1200 on R Day: late June.  The USNA runs about the same numbers and so does Air Force.  The total nu mbers of files opened is not a true indicator of applications.  Congressional nominations amount to another large number, because each member of Congress usually has one or two openings each year in each academy: they normally nominate up to 10 kids for each vacancy and usually the academy gets to rank order them.  The Presidential nominations amount to 100(all service connected nominations) and the VP has 5.  Oh yeah, the active Army gets 75 spaces in the class and the Guard/Reserves get 75.  Gets real complicated when you get down to the nitty-gritty.  I did this stuff during the 70s and 80s and then went back to it about four years ago. 

For an old, retired guy I have a lot of fun doing this.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777