winter survival patch

Started by tuxzee, March 17, 2013, 07:35:26 PM

tuxzee

I just completed Minnesota wing winter survival and received a patch. What breast pocket can it be placed on? (I have a squadron patch on the right pocket)

a2capt

What does CAPM 39-1 say about authorized activity patches?

Abby.L

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll become too lazy to fish, expecting you to give a fish every day."

RTFM- Read The Furbished Materials
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

SarDragon

Quote from: Levi Lockling on March 17, 2013, 09:41:51 PM
"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll become too lazy to fish, expecting you to give a fish every day."

RTFM- Read The Furbished Furnished Materials

FTFY.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Abby.L

Quote from: SarDragon on March 17, 2013, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: Levi Lockling on March 17, 2013, 09:41:51 PM

RTFM- Read The Furbished Furnished Materials

FTFY.  ;)

Well, no wonder why that sounded weird...  :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Stonewall

I'd like to see the patch.  Can you post a pic?
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Not authorized for wear on the CAP uniform unless your wing has a supplement which authorizes it.

"That Others May Zoom"

tuxzee

Eclipse

Quote from: tuxzee on March 18, 2013, 03:12:58 AM
http://www.mncap.org/es/wsw/

picture of patch on top of page.

Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2013, 01:54:09 AM
Not authorized for wear on the CAP uniform unless your wing has a supplement which authorizes it.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I believe you will find the answer on your Wing's supplement to CAPM 39-1, Section 5.5, Table 6-4, Item 10, Sub-section #2, Item b.

Now you'll be familiar with how to find information. Start at the top, look for applicable supplements in your region, wing, group if applicable, and lastly, unit. They should be numbered the same as the national publication that covers the subject.

Stonewall

Quote from: tuxzee on March 18, 2013, 03:12:58 AM
http://www.mncap.org/es/wsw/

Nice!  I like it, and I'm going to bookmark this page for future use in planning training.

Thanks!
Serving since 1987.

Blues Brother

So what is the point of having all of these patches that are not authorized for wear on our uniforms?   I don't get it.....  It doesn't make any sense to me.   

Stonewall

Quote from: Blues Brother on March 18, 2013, 11:14:41 AM
So what is the point of having all of these patches that are not authorized for wear on our uniforms?   I don't get it.....  It doesn't make any sense to me.

This is normal.  They're called "morale patches". 

Perfect example:  I graduated SERE school.  I bought a cool t-shirt, and there may be a patch you can buy at the gift shop, but you can't wear it on any Air Force uniform. 

Patches aren't made solely to be worn on uniforms, they're made for morale purposes or to throw on a helmet bag or backpack.  The military does this ALL THE TIME.  Let's see, I attended Light Infantry Leaders Course and got a "morale patch", but it wasn't intended to be worn on a uniform.  I already mentioned SERE.  In CAP, I attended and/or taught at the Middle East Region SAR College for seveal years and there was a patch, but it couldn't be worn (although I saw it on flight suits).

At the end of the day, you go for the training, not for the patch/badge.
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

It's also approved in a wing supplement for wear by members of that wing so it is authorized.

a2capt

Quote from: Stonewall on March 18, 2013, 11:20:06 AMAt the end of the day, you go for the training, not for the patch/badge.
Well... ;) One might certainly get the opposite idea around here. :)
Add "hat" to that list, too.

Stonewall

Quote from: Duke Dillio on March 18, 2013, 01:22:41 PM

It's also approved in a wing supplement for wear by members of that wing so it is authorized.

Good find, Tim.

To the original poster, a quick search of your wing's supplements would have shown you Minnesota Wing Supplement to CAPR 39-1 (Uniform Regulation) which states:

Quote from: MNWG 39-1 Supplement
2. Approved activity patches.

a. Activity patches require the Wing Commander's approval. The project officer for the activity will submit a full size illustration via the chain of command for approval.

b. Approved activity patches are: Minnesota Wing Flight Academy, Minnesota Wing Encampment, Special Operations, BlackCAP ES College, and Winter Survival Weekend.
Serving since 1987.

a2capt

That's why I posted what I did earlier in the thread. But telling them outright means next time they'll come here.

That answer should have been part of the activity. When any patch is handed out for anything "This one is approved for wear",  "this is a token of your participation, but it is not a uniform item", etc.

Luis R. Ramos

Telling him that his patch is approved in the Wing supplement does not answer his question. :)

His original question is "where do I place it," not "can I use it."  ::)

Refer him to the sentence that reads "Table 6-4 Item 10." on his Wing Supplement.

So I think he is not going to like it...  :P

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Stonewall

His question still isn't answered.  He asked where, not if.  So he already assumed, or perhaps was told, he could wear it, but wasn't sure where to put it.
Serving since 1987.

a2capt

Quote from: Stonewall on March 18, 2013, 03:02:57 PMHis question still isn't answered.  He asked where, not if.  So he already assumed, or perhaps was told, he could wear it, but wasn't sure where to put it.
Which is why my original post said "about authorized activity patches" .. knowing full well that if a particular Wing activity is authorized, it would be on a Wing level supplement. Not a lot of people like that actual answer though.

The regulation seems to be written as if the patches are installed in a removable mannor, the user has multiple uniform tops at their disposal, or likes to sew and rip a lot, for each activity. Be it as it is. The regulation treats the activity as a "unit" for purposes of representation on the uniform. Sort of worth it for an encampment, with iron on patches, on a newly setup uniform because those things come off after a few days anyway, but do quite well in the meantime. Then put on the more permanent one after. Otherwise.. meh.

Eclipse

Quote from: Duke Dillio on March 18, 2013, 01:22:41 PM

Link?

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Scroll down, see the link I provided on page 1.
Serving since 1987.

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

With all the snow we have had up here in the Dakotas and Minnesota, this training is put to good use, as we just had a blizzard blow through.
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

Duke Dillio

Since the OP still hasn't seen his answer:

Table 6-4 Item 10. One distinctive patch/badge may be worn centered below the lower portion of the right breast pocket on the BDU shirt or field jacket between the left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket. Minnesota members are authorized:
1. Minnesota unit patches approved by the Wing Commander.
a. To receive approval for a unit patch, the unit commander will submit a full size colored illustration indicating the patch's heraldry (explaining the purpose and significance of the image(s), colors selected and what they represent) via the chain of command, to the Wing Commander for approval.)
b. Approved unit patches: 130th, Anoka, Crow Wing, Duluth, Fort Snelling, Grand Rapids, Mankato, North Hennepin, Northland, Owatonna, Pipestone, SE Minnesota, Red Wing, St. Cloud Composite, St. Croix, St. Paul, Valley, Viking, Group 3 and Group 4.
2. Approved activity patches.
a. Activity patches require the Wing Commander's approval. The project officer for the activity will submit a full size illustration via the chain of command for approval.
b. Approved activity patches are: Minnesota Wing Flight Academy, Minnesota Wing Encampment, Special Operations, BlackCAP ES College, and Winter Survival Weekend.
Centered on right breast pocket of the BDU's...

edit:  wrong quote slash thingy...