Uniforms you'd like to see brought back...

Started by Treadhead, January 31, 2013, 03:49:09 AM

Treadhead

What phased out uniforms would you love to have brought back?

I've always loved the 1549 blue shirt.  Sharp as hell.  Another uniform I'd like to see come back are the Ike jackets.

What say you?
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Pump Scout

The older M65 field jacket with quilted liner was quite a bit warmer than the Goretex stuff that's out there. Going even older, the OD green parka with liner is still fantastic. I wore mine last year at a winter survival FTX.

PHall

Quote from: Pump Scout on January 31, 2013, 03:55:42 AM
The older M65 field jacket with quilted liner was quite a bit warmer than the Goretex stuff that's out there. Going even older, the OD green parka with liner is still fantastic. I wore mine last year at a winter survival FTX.

The Goretex with the fleece liner is way, way warmer them the M65 with liner.
And you stay dry too!

lordmonar

Quote from: Pump Scout on January 31, 2013, 03:55:42 AM
??  the M65 is still authorised.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Noble Six

I would love to see the Ike jacket brought back.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Noble Six on January 31, 2013, 04:36:54 AM

Me too.  I never got to wear one but I always thought they were sharp.

I would say the CSU...but that's a fart's chance in a hurricane.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Jungle fatigues. I liked the set I had. No, I don't want a green BDU, or an ACU type uniform in green, not at all. I like the old olive green slant pocket, no extra reinforcement Type III jungle fatigues.

If they were "reauthorized" tomorrow, I'd have some by Monday.

Treadhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 31, 2013, 05:09:46 AM
Jungle fatigues. I liked the set I had. No, I don't want a green BDU, or an ACU type uniform in green, not at all. I like the old olive green slant pocket, no extra reinforcement Type III jungle fatigues.

If they were "reauthorized" tomorrow, I'd have some by Monday.

I hear you, my friend.  I loved those too!

Seems that I remember seeing a tiger stripe version of the old jungle fatigues.  Slanted pockets and rip stop fabric.  I think they might have been special made.  Only seem em once.  Wish I had a set of those as well.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Camas

The silver tans (Shade 1193) were sharp uniforms. The disadvantage was that they had to be worn with the coat at all times unless the long-sleeve Class B shirt was worn. And then one had to wear a tie tucked in between the 2nd and 3rd button. The 1505 short sleeve summer uniform was also a favorite of mine. But the wearing of ribbons was prohibited though today that probably wouldn't be a big concern to most members. And yes, I remember the jungle fatigues.

PA Guy

I was a fan of the 505s with bush jacket minus the shorts.

flyboy53

The dark blue shirt with shoulder loops. It was the sharpest uniform I ever owned because it was the last Air Force shirt that you could wear military creases.

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on January 31, 2013, 05:00:37 AM

Me too.  I never got to wear one but I always thought they were sharp.

I have one (from the 60s) that I wear with my Scottish attire.  It is sharp.

I would say the CSU...but that's a fart's chance in a hurricane.

I hear you, my friend.  Concur on both parts.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Devil Doc

I would like any uniform that dosnt make us look like a Reject Security Guard, a DeadHead Pilot, a Mall Cop, something that when people see you, they go, oh ya, hes in the Civil Air Patrol!!!
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

I would simply like a "uniform".  CAP has not had a "uniform" in the entire time I have been a member.

The clothing we wear has been driven by a myriad of factors, both internal and external, but has never been driven by "mission".

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 31, 2013, 03:01:38 PMThe clothing we wear has been driven by a myriad of factors, both internal and external, but has never been driven by "mission".

Most uniforms aren't driven my mission.  Even in the military.  ACU's?  ABU's?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

I disagree - you can argue that they missed the mark, but the intention was mission driven.

Organizational identity is part of that mission, in the case of the ACU and ABU, it's been argued that organizational identity
was placed too high on the priority list, but a lot of the uniform itself is functional and better then its predecessor.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Slant pocket jungle fatigues.

/thread

PS:  I have a pic somewhere of mine from when I was C/2d Lt.
Serving since 1987.

davedove

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 31, 2013, 02:55:36 PM
I would like any uniform that dosnt make us look like a Reject Security Guard, a DeadHead Pilot, a Mall Cop, something that when people see you, they go, oh ya, hes in the Civil Air Patrol!!!

I understand the sentiment, but the problem is that most people don't even know there is a Civil Air Patrol, let alone recognizing the uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Part of that is due to the increasingly-schizoid nature of CAP.

Part of the membership feels that the AF uniform with CAP modifications says "Civil Air Patrol" (I'm in that camp).

Others feel that we shouldn't wear the AF uniform at all and that the only thing that says "Civil Air Patrol" are the "corporate" uniforms.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

OD Jungle fatigues. Most comfortable field uniform ever.

The dark blue long sleeve shirts that were worn in the  60's, 70's  and early80''s  Looked sharp. Make'em in short sleeve too  and you have a new corporate service uniform.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

FARRIER

Orange shirts for ground teams. I know these were worn on a wing-by wing basis back in the day, but I would like to see the restrictions lifted.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

wuzafuzz

Quote from: FARRIER on February 01, 2013, 12:28:42 AM
Orange shirts for ground teams. I know these were worn on a wing-by wing basis back in the day, but I would like to see the restrictions lifted.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd like to see the old pickle suit make a return.  It was utilitarian without trying to look like a commando.  Plus it had a shirt that can actually be tucked in so I can reach stuff worn on my belt, like a radio.  I hate untucked shirts.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

Quote from: FARRIER on February 01, 2013, 12:28:42 AM

CAWG currently has orange shirts as part of their GT uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

QuoteOD Jungle fatigues. Most comfortable field uniform ever.

Orange shirts for ground teams.

I'd like to see the old pickle suit make a return.
and we'll throw in some BDUs with orange vests just to round things out.

OD uniforms by sardak

Orange shirts, BDUs and orange vests by sardak

The CyBorg is destroyed

Orange flight suits.

If one of our aircraft is forced down, that makes the crew more visible to a search party.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on February 01, 2013, 05:18:49 AM
Orange flight suits.

If one of our aircraft is forced down, that makes the crew more visible to a search party.

Unless it's Alaska in the fall. The whole landscape is orange. The blue one was perfect.

Stonewall

No one wants the Smurf Suit back?  I swear it used to cost $25 from the CAP Bookstore.

No joke, as a cadet I had a neighbor who worked for the fire department and drove some sort of tactical fire rescue truck, like a Toyota Tacoma style with a cap on the back.  His uniform was similar to the Smurf Suit, so as a cadet, I seriously wanted one for contingency use.  In my mind, I pictured it being folded up in some sort of tactical rescue "jump kit" that I would carry (one day) in my personal "tactical response SAR vehicle" I'd have when I was a grown up.
Serving since 1987.

LGM30GMCC

Orange flight suits.

Maybe, but if they stay with their aircraft (Which barring really REALLY compelling reasons not to they should) the 174 sq feet of wings alone not counting the rest of the airplane with a locator beacon going off is going to be a lot more visible. If they are going to be in good enough shape to get out of the aircraft and walk around then the aircraft is going to have to be in pretty decent shape. (Unless they went into the drink in which case, they should have other water survival stuff with them) If they are really well equipped they may well have a persona radio and be able to call in to other aircraft for assistance. If they are incapacitated they are likely inside their aircraft at which point it doesn't matter what they are wearing for visibility.

Remember for many military crashes the pilot may be no where near the wreckage of their aircraft because for many of them they are going to eject some point before it hits the ground. In that case the plane is a smoking pile of wreckage and the crew are by themselves with the survival gear that was attached to them.

Not saying what you said isn't true, I'm just saying it has marginal benefit.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Stonewall on February 01, 2013, 06:13:49 PM
No one wants the Smurf Suit back?  I swear it used to cost $25 from the CAP Bookstore.

Those were AWFUL.  They reminded me of a '70s leisure suit converted to a jumpsuit.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ZigZag911

Phillip

Orange flight suits.

Around these parts, Inmates wear an orange jumpsuit vaguely similar to that to pick up trash along side the highway.
Captain

SarDragon

Quote from: Stonewall on February 01, 2013, 06:13:49 PM

$16.95 in the '78-'80 time frame. I have an olde filled in, but never sent in, order blank in my CAP crap.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

okeecap

The CSU would be the best uniform to bring back, or the WWII khaki and green uniform that looked sharp.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

GroundHawg

OD Jungles. I wore them till the very last day they were authorized. (and you know I had the OD Jungle boots to match)

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

Me, for one. Its wear was reserved for those members who met the grooming standards for the AF-style uniform. My beard disqualified me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Here we go.  I've owned this jungle fatigue top for about 22 or 23 years, since I was a cadet...

Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

I really dont see what is wrong with the FAT and FUZZY when the corporate uniform is not a Military uniform. CAP made it up, CAP makes the rules?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

LGM30GMCC

As a slender and smooth (But I'm AD USAF so I kinda have to be  ::) ) I would say we don't want to have a uniform for the fat and fuzzy. We want to have a uniform that can be worn by any of our members as they so desire. Might just seem like semantics but I think it is an important distinction in that makes it clear its a uniform to meet a professional image.

My issues with the CSU were the fact that it went so far above and beyond the service dress that it reeked of wannabeism. We can't wear hard rank on the service dress...but hey we can on this! Oooh silver sleeve braid? SHINY! Same thing with the white/blue uniform combination. Look look look! We're wearing AF Shoulder marks and you can't stop meeeeee! It just seemed childish.

I think the CSU with the same slides as on the service dress, and with blue sleeve braid as opposed to silver and it would have caused a lot less of an uproar. (There were those who really didn't like it.)

As to the grooming standards I can see both views of the argument. Some beards and longer hair styles can look very professional. However others look like Billybobrayjoe just came out of the back woods. Now Billy is likely a wonderful person, doing fantastic volunteer work, but Stanly McStickinrearinson of the Senate or Col Beenthere Seenitall of the ANG may not see that. They're just going to see someone who looks sloppy and like they don't care. (That's the way the world works. Sorry if you don't like it...but that's reality.)

Unfortunately coming up with the guidance that's even more lenient on beards/no beards and hair length, 'professional appearance' and the like then becomes even more subjective.

I absolutely think we should have some service equivalent, preferably modular in design (like the service dress) that can be worn by all the members. I don't see the USAF renegging on the requirement for grooming standards with their uniforms (like existed in the 90s and before) because of the fear of the Billybobrayjoes, rather than the Mr. Sophisticated Epicbeards out there. However, I also don't think we should make an effort to abandon the USAF uniforms. And that leaves us in a quandry of trying to be as inclusive as possible while maintaining a professional image.

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on February 02, 2013, 06:02:37 PM
I really don't see what is wrong with the FAT and FUZZY when the corporate uniform is not a Military uniform. CAP made it up, CAP makes the rules?

It is not an AIR FORCE uniform, but it is a military type uniform.  When you add military rank (along with the title), military style badges, and military style ribbons, and then require military regulation haircuts (SarDragon's legitimate gripe), then yeah, it IS a military uniform.

IMHO, your argument that it's NOT a military uniform thus we should be able to do what we want, should be re-worded to state:  "It is NOT an AIR FORCE uniform, but it IS a CAP uniform that ALL CAP members wear, regardless of weight or grooming."  Use all the rank, ribbons, etc. you want, call it what you want (although it really is a military uniform, just not specifically an Air Force uniform) and call it a day.  Everyone in CAP uses the CSU, end of story.  Note:  I hate the way the CSU looks.

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 02, 2013, 06:18:57 PM
Words.

I agree 100% LGM...  Nicely put.
Serving since 1987.

FARRIER

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 02, 2013, 06:18:57 PMMy issues with the CSU were the fact that it went so far above and beyond the service dress that it reeked of wannabeism. We can't wear hard rank on the service dress...but hey we can on this! Oooh silver sleeve braid? SHINY! Same thing with the white/blue uniform combination. Look look look! We're wearing AF Shoulder marks and you can't stop meeeeee! It just seemed childish.

Blue shoulder slides (http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/RANK-OFC/index.html) - We wore those once and the hard rank on the service coat too.

Back when I was a cadet in the 1980's, my Squadron Commander, a retired AF Master Sergeant, was able to keep those Seniors in the Squadron, who chose to wear the Class A/B's, within the regulations. It's a matter of leadership, not wannabeism.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

SARDOC

I agree with SARDRAGON.  The CSU should be brought back as long as everyone can wear it even the fuzzies...as long as the fuzzy is neat as required by regs.  Military uniforms throughout history have allowed beards,  there is no reason the CSU should be any different.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: FARRIER on February 02, 2013, 07:27:17 PM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 02, 2013, 06:18:57 PMMy issues with the CSU were the fact that it went so far above and beyond the service dress that it reeked of wannabeism. We can't wear hard rank on the service dress...but hey we can on this! Oooh silver sleeve braid? SHINY! Same thing with the white/blue uniform combination. Look look look! We're wearing AF Shoulder marks and you can't stop meeeeee! It just seemed childish.

Blue shoulder slides (http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/RANK-OFC/index.html) - We wore those once and the hard rank on the service coat too.

Back when I was a cadet in the 1980's, my Squadron Commander, a retired AF Master Sergeant, was able to keep those Seniors in the Squadron, who chose to wear the Class A/B's, within the regulations. It's a matter of leadership, not wannabeism.

The blue slides worn on the white shirt/blue pants combos were not those slides. They were these. The ones worn on the distinctive corporate uniform were identical to the ones worn by AD USAF officers. I think that's a problem when if you're wearing the blues you have to wear the grey sleeves. That's why I say it reeked of wannabeism. Well I can't do it (blue sleeves) in the blues...so I'll make a uniform where I can!! That's how it came across to me both as a CAP and USAF officer.

Again, it's the fact it was above and beyond what the current service dress allows. I would be happy as a clam if CAP went to either CAPs on the lapels and hard rank on the shoulders (less likely) or the blue CAP shoulder marks . I think that our Airman (speaking as a USAF Officer) should be able to read the CAP on the sleeve and figure it out. Were I CSAF for a couple years that's one of the things I would advocate for. However, along with it would be an expectation of the CAP/CC to ensure CAP officers BEHAVED like officers. That is to say, behaved as professionals.

So there's the piece I would bring back. Blue sleeves with the CAP on it, provided the training and standards were really held to enforce a culture of professionalism.

Майор Хаткевич

Those issues were addressed before the uniform was killed off, no?

Devil Doc

I undertand it is a united states military uniform. If you look at other countries that wear our stuff in there military, totally different story. I dont think i have a say as being a Shower Shoe in CAP, but i can tell ya, how hard is it to be distinctive from the AF?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

The thing that rubs me raw the most is those who do not meet h/w, have the corp uniform, but insist on blues anyway, even after being corrected.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Since we were not given a reason as to why the CSU was cancelled, does anyone really think we will be given a reason as to why it cannot be brought back?

I disagree that metal rank/blue shoulder slides = "wannabe-ism."  We had them before, and they were taken from us for really bloody silly reasons; i.e., a urinating contest between a then-National CC, CSAF and SECAF.  CGAUX wears very slightly modified metal grade.  NSCC wears them unmodified, as do SDF's.  Border Patrol/CBP wears warrant officer brass, oak leaves, eagles and up unmodified.

Wearing "military-style" ribbons on the CSU ≠ "military ribbons."  Those were never allowed on the CSU.  It was CAP-only - just like the G/W.

Granted, the CSU could have been introduced a lot better; i.e., with a return to the blue shoulder marks with "CAP" on them (even requiring CAP cutouts to be pinned on the standard AF shoulder marks; many SDF's do that with the initials of their State), and just using "CAP" collar brass from the beginning, and not trying to have hard rank on flight caps.

Having said that, I thought the silver sleeve braid was a bit gaudy.

What many people forget, though, is that the Air Force requested changes, and they were acted upon by CAP!

I think the stupidest part of the whole affair (beyond not being given a reason why), was to require a switch to the grey shoulder marks on a uniform that was being phased out anyway!

As I have stated, the Air Force does not have a patent on all colours of blue.  However, a "new CSU" could easily use shades of blue that are clearly different from the USAF (in fact, not use ANY USAF uniform items), like the RAF (grey-blue), RAAF (midnight-blue) or Luftwaffe (blue-grey).

It is really academic, though, because I doubt National will ever let us have anything beyond the status quo.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: sardak on June 07, 1970, 08:54:34 AMOD Jungle fatigues. Most comfortable field uniform ever.

I still have a CAP set too   8)

Private Investigator

I found one with the classic USAF MSgt chevrons on it at a thrift shop. My wife pointed out I have way too many 'old' uniforms already.

kd8gua

- Black Mess Dress with the service cap.
- 1505 Summer Silvertans
- Shade 84 service coat and pants.

OD fatigues. The tuck in shirt version. Never had the chance to find some jungle fatigues, but I do enjoy my set of fatigues.

To me, those represent a golden age of USAF and CAP uniform history.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

tribalelder

Now, if I could bring back my 1965 or 1983 circumference ...

Some of the now gone uniforms, like some current uniforms, don't look as good on those of us now at the upper limits of the ht/wt table.  A chubby guy in a smurfsuit or 1549's-- not the image we should like to project. Although I liked the smurfsuit

A double breasted suit (or the CSU)- not a good choice for those slightly overweight and beyond.

Our uniforms history is interesting.  How many of us around from the 'plainclothes' days (1969~1974?) of the owner-pilot specialist program ? Yes, there was an era when we recruited members who preferred not to be in uniform.  Anyone on the board enter CAP that way.

Following that, I think until sometime in early 90's, uniform was optional--unless flying or working with cadets. 
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

kirbahashi

The Smurf Suit and Maroon Epaulets!!!   ;D

I jokingly state to my fellow seniors the only reason I became a senior was to wear that horrible uniform.  Not that I wanted to, but just because.

Actually in all seriousness, I liked the "pickle suits" and I miss them fondly.  With Jungle Fatigues a close second.
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Texas Raiders

I'm a big fan of the WWII USAAF "pinks and greens".  They're still the official uniform of Texas A&M's Corps of Cadets.  Gig'em Aggies!
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Nikos

Please keep in mind that I am the new guy here.  What is a CSU????

I think the green fatigues with the tucked in shirt are a good uniform.  Also, the photos I have seen of the "silver tans" with blue tie and hats look really sharp.

Texas Raiders

SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Abby.L

Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 17, 2013, 04:40:53 AM
Quote from: TJT__98 on February 16, 2013, 06:32:09 PM
CSU stands for Corporate Service Uniform. Here is the link to a picture
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Civil+Air+Patrol+CSU&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&tbo=d&rls=en&biw=1920&bih=960&tbm=isch&tbnid=LrCPN2dgVI2TaM:&imgrefurl=http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/member_services/uniform_information/new-corporate-uniform/&docid=xSc27TdWmnJf7M&imgurl=http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Corporate_Service_Coat_with_CAP_356B2C183EF48.jpg&w=415&h=520&ei=0M8fUZnNEY6c9QT-kIHoCA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:0,s:0,i:84&iact=rc&dur=266&sig=113558830980685141785&page=1&tbnh=177&tbnw=134&start=0&ndsp=19&tx=81&ty=17. Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture here.
I know from CAPTalk that everyone seems to either love it or hate it.

It looks alright to me, but with two exceptions.  The ribbons don't look right with the pocket size (should be three-wide) and I think it would look better as a single breasted coat, not double.  Just my two cents. 
That's the point. This uniform, being a CAP Corporate uniform, had to have certain differences from the AF service coat to be approved. This came in its double-breasted form. Other than that, it was worn almost identically, including the option of 3- or 4-wide ribbons, and the AF pants. It was, however worn with a white shirt instead of the AF blue, which enabled a S/L sleeve AF basic service dress equivalent, which was nice. It was actually a sharp uniform, though I only saw it once, and that was after I actually looked around and saw something different. It was a uniform that really could have brought together the horizontally challenged and those in AF weight/height standards. Though, I wish it also could have had the option for at least a trimmed beard or goatee, as that really would have brought the entirety of CAP together.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

The CyBorg is destroyed

And we were never told why it was taken. >:(

It's nice to wish it would be brought back, but it won't be.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Grumpy

BGNightfall

Actually, I think bringing back the Pinks and Greens with the red epaulets would be fantastic as a corporate uniform.  There were so many combos for that thing that it's hard not to make everybody happy, it ties directly to our roots as an organization, and there's no blue involved!

Texas Raiders

Quote from: BGNightfall on February 19, 2013, 02:23:29 AM
Actually, I think bringing back the Pinks and Greens with the red epaulets would be fantastic as a corporate uniform.  There were so many combos for that thing that it's hard not to make everybody happy, it ties directly to our roots as an organization, and there's no blue involved!

Pinks and greens-  I'm out on the red epaulets.  Bring back metal ranks for the epaulets.  CAP prop buttons, belt buckles, officer hat devices, and CAP cut-outs (no more US) would be brass.  Shoes would be brown.  Nametags could remain the same as are now.

I like the OG-107 sateens for a "work uniform" minus the baseball cap.  I'm in for a Ridgeway or a OD patrol cap.  Again, bring back metal ranks. 

SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567

sarmed1

I have to throw my vote in for OG Jungle Fatigues as well.  I too wore them until the end, often times in lieu of BDU's. (while both were authorized) I dont know if was ever actually authorized but for a while I had a slant pocket camo pattern shirt that I kept in my gear as a "back up" field shirt. (it is still somewhere in my basement)  My OG jungles became an OPFOR shirt while I was as DMAFB....they did not survive....

Even as a military member I wore the OG jungle boots as long as I could.  The official AF speak went along the lines of:  "....may be worn until no longer serviceable, then replaced....."  I think a subsequent AFI moved them to the banned list, but it had to be somewhere in the 2006ish range. (they still sit in my closet, mostly as a cut the grass sort of pair of boots.)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

ßτε

ColonelJack

Quote from: ßτε on February 19, 2013, 05:10:40 PM
Guayabera uniform

You forgot to add your smiley to that.  (Unless, of course, you were serious...in which case, I think I'm gonna be sick.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BGNightfall

Guayabera uniform

Add a tropical variant with khaki shorts, flip-flops and a Mai-Tai, and I'd be all over that. 

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BGNightfall on February 20, 2013, 03:43:50 AM
Guayabera uniform

Add a tropical variant with khaki shorts, flip-flops and a Mai-Tai, and I'd be all over that.

Those were my standard work clothes when I was stationed on Kwajalein Atoll! Also known as 'Kwaj BDUs' (Beach Dress Utilities). :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 19, 2013, 02:27:02 PM
Pinks and greens-  I'm out on the red epaulets.  Bring back metal ranks for the epaulets.  CAP prop buttons, belt buckles, officer hat devices, and CAP cut-outs (no more US) would be brass.  Shoes would be brown.  Nametags could remain the same as are now.

That's all good, except for the current nameplates...grey on pinks and greens?  Or did you mean the blazer nameplate?  I'd be good with the brushed-silver "CIVIL AIR PATROL" nameplate for the CSU.

Don't forget the winged-prop device, though we may have to get permission from the Army for that.

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 19, 2013, 11:05:35 PM
You forgot to add your smiley to that.  (Unless, of course, you were serious...in which case, I think I'm gonna be sick.)

Jack

That's what I thought too, Colonel.  Great Bog in Devon, whose idea was that for a "uniform?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Texas Raiders

Quote from: CyBorg on February 20, 2013, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 19, 2013, 02:27:02 PM

That's all good, except for the current nameplates...grey on pinks and greens?  Or did you mean the blazer nameplate?  I'd be good with the brushed-silver "CIVIL AIR PATROL" nameplate for the CSU.

Don't forget the winged-prop device, though we may have to get permission from the Army for that.

I'd actually go with a black nameplate with white lettering for cadets and maybe a brushed brass nameplate for the seniors.  You're right about the winged prop insignia.  The Army would need to be contacted for permission.  There are some differences between the current issue and the vintage USAAF version, but it's not widely recognized.  The current version is shown first, followed by a pair of USAAF pins.  See below. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Texas Raiders on February 20, 2013, 04:55:28 PM
I'd actually go with a black nameplate with white lettering for cadets and maybe a brushed brass nameplate for the seniors.

Mmm...I wonder how many cadets would be up for wearing that ILO the AF blue uniform.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ZigZag911

Two thoughts:

1) Why take AF uniform away from cadets?  Visual distinction between officer/instructors and cadets/midshipmen seems to work well for service academies, could be beneficial to CAP.

2) Re: Guayabera -- forget all the other additions, forget guayabera itself, keep what we have, add mai tai!