Main Menu

Senior Officer AE project

Started by carnold1836, March 01, 2007, 08:57:32 PM

carnold1836

Just something to throw out there.

What are people's opinion on having Sr Officers build a Light Sport Aircraft as part of an AE program for Sr Officers?
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Al Sayre

If they can afford it, go for it, might even be good to let the cadets watch/help a little.  There may be some issues about who owns it though, somehow fractional ownership of an experimental aircraft seems problematic at best.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

flyguy06

Thats actually a great Cadet AE project.

jimmydeanno

At my old squadron, we were toying with the idea of building a replica of the Wright Flyer.  There are blueprints available from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, for a fee.

After careful deliberation, we realized we didn't have the funds to pull it off.  Same idea, different plane...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LTC_Gadget

There may be unanticipated legal, insurance or operational factors that could toss water on it as well..

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

FARRIER

This idea actually has some merit to it. It has that grass roots feeling. Nothing against the cadets, having started as one myself, but we become so cadet centric in our activities sometimes that it does turn away the Seniors that may show genuine interest. If all the hurdles could be conquered to get an activity like this started, I would advertise it as an members/squadron activity.  Cadets and Seniors working together for the fun of it. :)

If anybody mis-understands my statement, just IM me and I'll be happy to explain further.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Al Sayre

I think the biggest issue would be who "owns" it when you're done.  Also who gets to fly it and under what circumstances?

This might be a good opportunity for one of those "booster clubs" to keep it out of the CAP paperwork/legal morass.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787