New FEMA Course: The Role of Voluntary Agencies...

Started by wuzafuzz, November 20, 2012, 03:58:56 PM

wuzafuzz

FYI.  New independent study course, could be interesting for CAP members.

"FEMA EMI News
Website Update
New Course Offering

IS-288 The Role of Voluntary Agencies in Emergency Management

Emmitsburg, MD — You are subscribed to EMI News for FEMA. The following information has recently been updated, and is now available on http://training.fema.gov/IS/
IS-288 The Role of Voluntary Agencies in Emergency Management has been released.

Course Description:
This course provides State and FEMA staff that review Local Mitigation Plans with the information and training they will need to determine if a plan meets federal mitigation planning requirements."

https://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/IS288.asp
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

BillB

That's not a new course, I completed IS-00288, Role of Voluntary Agencies in Emergency Management, in April 2008. What you listed must be a revision to the course.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

EMI pulled it back last year for revision and rewriting.

manfredvonrichthofen

Hopefully it's not one of those... Volunteer agencies contribute warm bodies... lecture with a test at the end.

Is it a waste of time or is it valuable knowledge? I would like an honest answer, if it's really worth it, I will definitely take it.

arajca

When I took it, it covered alot on what services different organizations provided, along with some of the challanges with using volunteers vs full time eployees.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 21, 2012, 05:18:57 PM
When I took it, it covered alot on what services different organizations provided, along with some of the challanges with using volunteers vs full time eployees.

None  of which really applies to CAP, since a customer organization is neither training us nor engaging us directly.
This appears to apply more to adhoc smaller orgs engaging directly or bringing people in as independent resources.

"That Others May Zoom"