Cadet Encampment Handbook

Started by jimmydeanno, October 05, 2012, 04:22:03 PM

jimmydeanno

Hey Folks,

A draft of the Cadet Encampment Handbook (DRAFT CAPP 52-25] has been published to the Cadet Blog.  Check it out, as they are looking for feedback.

Here's the blurb from the blog:

Most readers of the Cadet Blog know that we're pursuing a nationwide standard for the encampment program. Part of that effort includes a "Cadet Encampment Handbook."

"Hurry up and wait" is a fact of encampment life. Cadets stand in line waiting to be served their meals. They spend time in vans, driving around the installation. They find themselves with 10 minutes of free time here and there as flights cycle through various tours and activities. In short, there is a need for "hip pocket" training resources --- some kind of useful tool to help local leaders make the most of the inevitable downtime.

Enter the "Cadet Encampment Handbook." This draft is a collection of cadet-related readings that augment the main curriculum, similar to what USAF Academy cadets have in their "Contrails" book. Local leaders can use the handbook as a basis for what some encampments call "knowledge and memory work." The local leaders might, for instance, require cadets to memorize items X,Y, and Z by noon Sunday. . . . the training plan is up to them. This handbook does not presume to micromanage "hip pocket" training, but provide a high-quality text that helps standardize the encampment experience.

Most encampments have provided cadets with a local SOP that they read during downtime. Because every encampment operates in an unique setting, there will always need to be locally-produced SOPs to inform cadets about local barracks rules, local inspection rules, local fire alarm procedures, etc. This draft Handbook does not compete with those SOPs but rather provides bite-sized academic mini-lessons.

Finally, a word about the draft CAPP 52-24, "Cadet Encampment Guide."  We're continuing to review that draft, listen to your comments, and will post an updated draft later this fall.

Direct link to the pamphlet: [Pamphlet Link]

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 04:27:23 PM
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15930.0

Did they change the doc number or did I have it wrong?
None of the above; jimmydeano's link is to a draft edition of the handbook that would be given to cadets attending encampment. It appears to be the current usual mix of good info in an attractive format, with a few things that might make an average teenager roll their eyes a bit.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Sorry - RTFM

The ashtrays are pretty gross.

This needs to go -
Lee Harvey Oswald was once a CAP cadet. And, the Texas School Book Depository 
building, from where he shot and killed President Kennedy, was owned by CAP National Commander Brig Gen Harold Byrd. Coincidence?

The inference is that it isn't a coincidence, and that Gen Byrd was somehow involved.

There's a few photos with old uniforms that need to be changed, otherwise cadets will be using them as examples.

This also raises another question - who's going to pay for these to be printed?
This is a 60-page (30ish duplexed), full color document with edge-bleed images.  Most encampment handbooks
are black and white 1/2 page deals, scaled specifically to fit in a BDU pocket.  This thing is going to burn out a lot
of carts, and require a more than base-line printer.  A color laser that duplexes would be the optimum choice,
or generate a significant amount of revenue for Kinkos.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 04:57:00 PM
The ashtrays are pretty gross.

Maybe being gross is the point.

This needs to go -
building, from where he shot and killed President Kennedy, was owned by CAP National Commander Brig Gen Harold Byrd. Coincidence?

The inference is that it isn't a coincidence, and that Gen Byrd was somehow involved.

WHAT?!? Kill it with fire! I cannot believe that this ever saw the light of day. SMH
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Майор Хаткевич

I don't get why we need to include the Oswald bit in that format...who suggested it? The same nutjob who bombed CAPTalk with the conspiracy theories about Oswald a few years back?

Garibaldi

I see a GLARING uniform error on page 5. The cadet holding the guidon has on a non-standard, non-BDU camoflage uniform of some sort. I'd replace that picture quickly.

As stated, please remove the ashtray picture.

P. 20: maybe put quotations around the word WOUNDED in the caption.

As an aside, perhaps remove the religious reference on p. 21

Love the Avengers picture on p. 23 but ensure that you have permission to use copyrighted material.

P.25: you talk about forming and storming etc but the first two graphics on the right are out of sequence

P.29: I'd remove the reference to the B-52 as BUFF or at least put in parenthesis (big ugly fat fella) because as most of us know BUFF stands for something a little different...

P. 48: As stated, removing the reference to Oswald would be good. I would also use "d***" in place of the actual word in the quotation above Oswald. Cadets with "little pitchers" and all...

BTW Eric Boe was a contemporary of mine back in the early 80s. He and I were in rival cadet units in Georgia Wing in 1981. My dad's wife knew him rather well when he was a cadet.

Just a few things that I noticed.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Extremepredjudice

Looks like FLWG winter encampment will be using this... http://flcadet.com/activities/winter-encampment.aspx

I liked the old FLWG handbook more...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 05, 2012, 06:27:08 PM
I see a GLARING uniform error on page 5. The cadet holding the guidon has on a non-standard, non-BDU camoflage uniform of some sort. I'd replace that picture quickly.

Weird - what's with the buttons and white pocket?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 06:48:08 PM

Suspect encampment SOP sticking out of pocket, and "BDUs" are actually "kiddie BDUs" because "Small-Short" probably has this kid swimming in camouflage.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

coudano

Quote from: NIN on October 05, 2012, 08:09:41 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2012, 06:48:08 PM

Suspect encampment SOP sticking out of pocket, and "BDUs" are actually "kiddie BDUs" because "Small-Short" probably has this kid swimming in camouflage.

Yah we have a cadet that this happened too.
Way too small for the smallest bdu's, shows up looking like this.
Parents are troopers, they actually SEWED the clothes with a flap over the buttons to make them look like a legit BDU

meh

you'll see more of this as well as milspec bdu's become harder to find.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on October 05, 2012, 08:09:41 PM"BDUs" are actually "kiddie BDUs" because "Small-Short" probably has this kid swimming in camouflage.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

That is the only mini BDU style available. We have had a few cadets start in that. It works.

68w20

I'm not a huge fan of the cover photo, also found on pg 5.  I get that we're trying to show that encampment can be fun, but the picture seems a little unprofessional.

Also, what's the rational behind the Lord of the Flies quote at the end? 

PA Guy

I like it. The concept is great and overall the content is good and will go a long way in supplementing the local SOP. As with any draft it needs some tweaks.  I agree that the cover photo needs to be replaced. It just sends the wrong message and I hate seeing cadets acting gangsta with the hand signs but overall a long needed document.

Eclipse

I agree - wrong message - I've seen pyramids, formations, and other activities that would be better
and more appropriate - I hate all that pseudo gangsta nonsense, too.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The ash tray is perfect for conveying the message - smoking is nasty. I think it should stay.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

As of this post, I have not read the entire handbook yet. But, as eclipse pointed out, who is going to print this massive thing?

If the wing prints it, did this just add another 5$ to every cadet and senior who attend, and if not the wings, are we going to require cadets to print it off? Crazy....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

I would suggest it should be handled like other nationally-mandated documents and provided at no cost to encampments by NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2012, 03:07:45 AM
I would suggest it should be handled like other nationally-mandated documents and provided at no cost to encampments by NHQ.

Where is the like button? LIKE
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

jimmydeanno

Word on the street is that each wing would call NHQ and say, "We have 400 cadets coming to encampment, please send us enough to cover it."  And voila!  In the mail comes 425 books.  Printing on the scale that NHQ does it isn't that expensive.  In fact, I'd wager a guess that publishing these will probably cost less per copy than a photocopied B&W local handbook done at Staples.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

That's because staples charges by the shirt and first born.

TJT__98

On page 17 a C/2Lt has the Yeager Award.
QuoteCAPR 39-3 SECTION E 17. Brigadier General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager Aerospace Education Achievement
Award. Awarded for successful completion of the Yeager test portion of the Aerospace Education
Program for Senior Members*...
*Bold added.
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

Eclipse

Quote from: TJT__98 on October 06, 2012, 04:19:27 PM
QuoteCAPR 39-3 SECTION E 17. Brigadier General Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager Aerospace Education Achievement
Award. Awarded for successful completion of the Yeager test portion of the Aerospace Education
*Bold added.

Not seeing it.

Yeager: 

The only thing in his rack that is close is the Arnold.

Arnold:

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

This needs to be removed immediately and the person/ persons who put this together need to be dismissed!
Aside from many many inaccuracies, it is offensive and ridiculous.

Shame on the individuals that created this!!

>:(

NIN

Quote from: Patterson on October 06, 2012, 05:30:53 PM
This needs to be removed immediately and the person/ persons who put this together need to be dismissed!

What are you saying?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TJT__98

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2012, 04:57:19 PM
Quote from: TJT__98 on October 06, 2012, 04:19:27 PM
*Bold added.

Not seeing it.

Yeager: 

The only thing in his rack that is close is the Arnold.

Arnold:
Oops... On my computer it was blurry and it looked like there was the grey line, and I was wondering why there was no Arnold  :P
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Patterson on October 06, 2012, 05:30:53 PM

I am sensing RM 2.0  >:D

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Sapper168

....Most encampment handbooks are black and white 1/2 page deals, scaled specifically to fit in a BDU pocket.....

I believe this is meant to be a cadets program manual that would be kept online at the cadet programs library instead of what is given to cadets upon arrival at encampment which commonly called an OI (operating instructions).

**** Then again after just now reading about half way through it i could be wrong.  It does have sections which appear to be utilized by cadets at the encampment.  Maybe it will be one more thing on the packing list for cadets to 'forget' to bring...
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 06, 2012, 07:08:50 PM

....Most encampment handbooks are black and white 1/2 page deals, scaled specifically to fit in a BDU pocket.....

I believe this is meant to be a cadets program manual that would be kept online at the cadet programs library instead of what is given to cadets upon arrival at encampment which commonly called an OI (operating instructions).

This is intended to be the mandated encampment handbook, replacing the OI's.

Notice there are pages to fill in for the encampment's chain of command, knowledge and memory work, and the cadet encampment contract.

One way or the other it would have to be supplied by the encampment - depending on a cadet to print and bring something like this
would never fly - you'd be shocked at the way people print the applications.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sapper168

Unless its being supplied in a size that will fit a bdu cargo pocket and is still legible i see all kinds of hassles with it.

After reading it i have to say i am confused.  This isn't a very good 'Encampment handbook'  Actually the bulk of it seems to be a 'Here is some basic Cadet Programs lessons handbook'.   Seems like filler info to me. 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2012, 07:17:06 PM
you'd be shocked at the way people print the applications.
I am intrigued..... Please elaborate.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 06, 2012, 07:32:58 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2012, 07:17:06 PM
you'd be shocked at the way people print the applications.
I am intrigued..... Please elaborate.

Portrait instead of landscape, or vice versa. Double sided out of sequence. PDFs that don't format right on a particular printer, and the fonts are out of whack. The possibilities abound.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

What bare the top two ribbons on that c/2d Lt above?

Extremepredjudice

Nat'l commander unit citation, the blue one looks like AFSA Squadron NCO of the Year, but it is in the wrong spot.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Майор Хаткевич

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure about the blue one

PA Guy

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 06, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
After reading it i have to say i am confused.  This isn't a very good 'Encampment handbook'  Actually the bulk of it seems to be a 'Here is some basic Cadet Programs lessons handbook'.   Seems like filler info to me.

The concept is that this will supplement your exsisting OI, SOP etc. You are right they are lessons in the sense of "Hip Pocket Training". These are short lessons that flight staff can use to accomplish short periods of training, think standing in line, instead of having cadets just blindly staring at their OI, SOP etc. while holding it in an awkward position. Seems like a win win to me.

You might want to take a look at this link as it explains the intent of the Cadet Handbook.

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/?cadet_encampment_handbook&show=entry&blogID=730

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2012, 04:57:19 PM

Bigger question.  What is up with the ribbon at the top next to the NCUC?
Mike Johnston

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Cool Mace

It's a UC award. It took me a minute to figure it out...

:EDIT: Grammar
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Ned

Sigh.

It is perhaps not surprising that we would rather debate the type of buttons or specific ribbons worn in an illustration rather than continue to discuss the actual substance of the Handbook.

This is CAPTalk, after all.

But please accept my gentle invitation to focus on the contents rather than nitpick portions of the illustrations. 

And yes, we designed the Handbook to be printed in a "BDU-pocket friendly" format.  Let's talk about whether we should have such a document before we start debating where it should be printed.

Please.

Ned Lee
Cadet Program Enthusiast

ProdigalJim

Ned:

Agree on the nit-picking of uniform illustrations. I didn't find them to be egregious.

Speaking as a former cadet, I would have enjoyed something like this to chew on while in line, waiting for lights-out, etc. This is a solid and useful concept, standardizes the cultural expectations for cadets across the country and can serve as a good reference for SMs as well.

As an editorial leader at Aviation Week & Space Technology for the past 24 years, I couldn't help but nit-pick on grammar, spelling and usage. Particularly when there are cadets concerned, we owe them every shot at correct spellings and usage --

Page 4, second graf – ratcheted
Page 5, first graf – sworn at
Page 10-11, lose the ashtray...ugh
Page 12, second graf – the President
Page 16, first graf – act correctly
Page 17, last graf – performing well
Page 19, caption – You've got to
Page 22, "Now, on a beautiful  stallion, comes an impressive..."
Page 25, the order in the life-cycle graphic does not match the order in the text
Page 29, barrel (A-10), supersonically (B-1B), highest-value (B-2),
Page 31, the President (E-4B),
Page 35, C-172 Skyhawk: Crew: 1 pilot, 1 observer, 1 scanner (ought to be used for the C-182 description as well)
Page 40, Aircraft navigation would be greatly affected
Page 46, air-minded
Page 50, Mary Feik: led

That out of the way, now I'd like to address substance --

Page 46, courier service is a "dangerous mission"?
Page 48, the Lee Harvey Oswald reference is gratuitous and the Byrd reference not only speculative but potentially libelous; Byrd's family/estate could quite rightly conclude that he's being implicated in the assasination. NOT the place for us to be as an organization.
Page 60, Golding quote is of ambiguous use here; what is the point? We go to great lengths to discourage hazing...why even cite something like Golding?

Lastly, I will confess to being bothered by the juxtaposition of images on pages 19 and 20. I think the *safest* move is to use non-religious illustrations for the servant leadership discussion.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

abdsp51

I would have to agree that the ashtrays need to be yanked out of there.  The Oswald mention should be as well, especially if there is nothing to substantiate it.  And the pseudo gangster picture should be taken out as well.  I do like that there is a little more to earn the encampment credit than before.  Outside of those IMO I think it is great that there is an effort being made to standardize encampment across the board.

BillB

The Concept of a standardized Encampment Handbook has great value.. I do think the cover photo is poor giving the idea that encampment is all fun and names, not a learning process. Since no two encampments are the same due to facilities, times activities can be held and types of training available, the Handbkk does give a first time cadet a broad view of encampment, USAF and CAP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Brad

I like the idea of a handbook, especially to help cadets get at least an overview of what to expect. Sure it can't address everything, but it helps reassure them. In addition if the handbook was issued approximately a week or so before encampment it would help reassure the "nervous parents" who are still wary about Little Johhny who's all anxious to go to encampment but they're still not sure what he'll be going through.

Now if the uniform errors could be corrected I'd be happy. I know it's a "draft" but they do need to be addressed. If we're obsessing about them here, imagine how much the cadets reading it will be obsessing over them....some to the point of ignoring the material they are supposed to reinforce. Not to mention what CAP public affairs stuff I have read always emphasizes correct uniforms when preparing material that will be viewed by the public, and I think this qualifies.

P.S. Did anyone else cringe at that marriage of The New Triangle Thingy and the USAF Hap Arnold emblem on page 8? :-P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Extremepredjudice

QuoteIn addition if the handbook was issued approximately a week or so before encampment
I can assure  you 50% of the cadets will then lose it or forget it.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

It can be emailed to everyone with an address. They can review it before the event.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2012, 01:01:17 AM
It can be emailed to everyone with an address. They can review it before the event.

Orrrrrr...you could put it on a website available for individual download. Instead of printing eleventy billion copies each cadet logs in to eservices or something similar and downloads it, and the website automatically sends an email or eservices notification to the encampment commander and his unit CC as having downloaded said document. This puts the onus on the cadet to have downloaded and reviewed the material prior to encampment and adds individual accountability.  >:D

Just my $.02

Eclipse

The cadets will need to physically have this in their possession, and we >don't< want them printing themselves.

We also can't have them thinking they will bring it on their Tablet, etc., as those are contraband.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 02:40:12 AM

The cadets will need to physically have this in their possession,

Agreed. But, making this a part of their CAP binder (that NHQ so lovingly gives every new member) that they PRINT out THEMSELVES makes them more accountable. Why make NHQ spend eleventy billion dollars, as I said, to print and ship out a document that a cadet may or may not receive in the mail in time for their encampment? The cadet spends what, six to eight dollars on a ream of 1000 sheets of paper that won't be used up on this? Granted, not EVERY cadet has a home computer, but most have access to one either at school or their local library. Most places like that will ask you to use your own paper or replenish theirs if you have a large print job.

and we >don't< want them printing themselves.

'oo says? And why?

We also can't have them thinking they will bring it on their Tablet, etc., as those are contraband.

Agreed. That's asking for trouble in so many ways.

Wow. Red letter day. I agree with 66% of Eclipse's rebuttal.

SarDragon

As mentioned above, self printing will frequently not produce the desired product. Booklet style printing is not supported by all printers, and manually figuring one out and printing it is not a trivial task. If I tell the flight to turn to page 14, I expect Cadet Schmuckatelli to be able to find his place as quickly as his flight mates, without fumbling around because it was not printed as intended.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2012, 05:06:57 AM
As mentioned above, self printing will frequently not produce the desired product. Booklet style printing is not supported by all printers, and manually figuring one out and printing it is not a trivial task. If I tell the flight to turn to page 14, I expect Cadet Schmuckatelli to be able to find his place as quickly as his flight mates, without fumbling around because it was not printed as intended.

Aren't the pages numbered? I'm not trying to be contrary here, I'm just finding fault with the arguments against self-printing. Even if the cadets print one-sided, surely they can be counted on to be ABLE to count to 14 and not count the cover in that process.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 11, 2012, 04:20:33 AM
Agreed. But, making this a part of their CAP binder (that NHQ so lovingly gives every new member) that they PRINT out THEMSELVES makes them more accountable. Why make NHQ spend eleventy billion dollars, as I said, to print and ship out a document that a cadet may or may not receive in the mail in time for their encampment? The cadet spends what, six to eight dollars on a ream of 1000 sheets of paper that won't be used up on this? Granted, not EVERY cadet has a home computer, but most have access to one either at school or their local library. Most places like that will ask you to use your own paper or replenish theirs if you have a large print job.

Under no circumstances would I ever suggest this should be mailed direct to the cadet.  This, just like TLC materials, etc., would be ordered in advance
and shipped in bulk to the wing or the encampment CC.  This has nothing to do with the personal responsibility aspect and everything to do
with the realities of bulk mailing 150-300 pieces of mail which are critical to the cadet's performance at this activity.

As to the cost, at the end of the day it's all the same money - the members pay for it, whether from dues and other funds, the encampment fees, or
their own ink and paper budget.

As SARDRAGON points out, what you'd wind up with is 1/3+ of the cadets carrying 60 pages of paper, maybe stapled, maybe not, with light bands of
black ink and pink photos because "mom hasn't bought a new ink cartridge and I waited until the day of encampment to print this".  For every cadet who has a mom with a high-speed color printer at work that will do edge binding, there will be 2-5 who can't even find it online unless it's posted to
Facebook (and that includes mom looking).

I just ran it through FedExOffice Online printing, that's supposed to offer 25% off walk-in prices, on full-color, double-sided, standard laser paper, with no binding or stapling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>    $35.40
(There's also an issue with the paper size, it didn't like it and had to do a conversion.)

"Who would pay $35.40 to print a manual?  I could buy a whole printer for $50."

The same parents who spend $20+ to next-day overnight an application they've had six months to send in the mail.

And what do you do for the inevitable 10% who's dog ate it, or who honestly never received it?  Send them home?

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 02:21:21 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on October 11, 2012, 04:20:33 AM

Under no circumstances would I ever suggest this should be mailed direct to the cadet.  This, just like TLC materials, etc., would be ordered in advance
and shipped in bulk to the wing or the encampment CC.  This has nothing to do with the personal responsibility aspect and everything to do
with the realities of bulk mailing 150-300 pieces of mail which are critical to the cadet's performance at this activity.

As to the cost, at the end of the day it's all the same money - the members pay for it, whether from dues and other funds, the encampment fees, or
their own ink and paper budget.

As SARDRAGON points out, what you'd wind up with is 1/3+ of the cadets carrying 60 pages of paper, maybe stapled, maybe not, with light bands of
black ink and pink photos because "mom hasn't bought a new ink cartridge and I waited until the day of encampment to print this".  For every cadet who has a mom with a high-speed color printer at work that will do edge binding, there will be 2-5 who can't even find it online unless it's posted to
Facebook (and that includes mom looking).

I just ran it through FedExOffice Online printing, that's supposed to offer 25% off walk-in prices, on full-color, double-sided, standard laser paper, with no binding or stapling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>    $35.40
(There's also an issue with the paper size, it didn't like it and had to do a conversion.)

"Who would pay $35.40 to print a manual?  I could buy a whole printer for $50."

The same parents who spend $20+ to next-day overnight an application they've had six months to send in the mail.

And what do you do for the inevitable 10% who's dog ate it, or who honestly never received it?  Send them home?

OK somehow I missed the part where it was supposed to be professionally bound/stapled/bindered, also where it was supposed to be printed in "booklet" form. I got nothin' else.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 11, 2012, 03:59:19 PMOK somehow I missed the part where it was supposed to be professionally bound/stapled/bindered, also where it was supposed to be printed in "booklet" form. I got nothin' else.

The above is not bound, it's not even stapled, just laser printed duplex so it's at least down from 60 to 30 pages.

It amazes me as well, but you'd be surprised the level of "I can't" involved with our members, especially cadets, and computers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

It's one thing to print 60 pages of CAPR XX-XX - it's all text. Quite another something with so much color and imagery as this. I DON'T even own a color printer...

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 06, 2012, 03:12:29 AM
Word on the street is that each wing would call NHQ and say, "We have 400 cadets coming to encampment, please send us enough to cover it."  And voila!  In the mail comes 425 books.  Printing on the scale that NHQ does it isn't that expensive.  In fact, I'd wager a guess that publishing these will probably cost less per copy than a photocopied B&W local handbook done at Staples.

I'm estimating that for the qty nhq would be ordering that they would be about $0.50 each, the right size, color, bound, etc. 

The leadership books are printed under $5.00 a set...so...

SarDragon

I just looked at the Document Properties, and this thing has a page size of 5" x 7". This jives with the carry in your pocket concept. I can guarantee that not 1 in 10 people can print this out at home and have it come anywhere close to the intended presentation, even in just grey scale. I'd go for 1 in 50 for color.

There is NO reasonable expectation that a cadet can effectively use this pamphlet if it's printed on 60 one-sided sheets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Agreed - the average cadet would show up with sixty single-sided pages with the 5x7 image in the center of the page.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 10:24:12 PM
Agreed - the average cadet would show up with sixty single-sided pages with the 5x7 image in the center of the page.
Isn't that why they built scissors?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

jimmydeanno

So, I'm just wondering why we keep debating having these printed locally by each wing/cadet/parent on an dot matrix, when the intent is to have NHQ keep a stockpile of them, printed at extremely low cost, and sent to the respective wing as part of an encampment package. 

It, obviously, makes no sense to have someone print 60 pages at home, in full-color, or even black and white, when the cheapest inkjet can only produce a color page for about $0.40/pg, and NHQ can get them printed for about $0.50/ea for the entire thing, color, formatted, and bound.

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 11, 2012, 10:43:35 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2012, 10:24:12 PM
Isn't that why they built scissors?

Being a smart-ass will get you nowhere. There will still be 60 one-sided pieces of paper to deal with, which is the primary issue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LGM30GMCC

One disadvantage of going to more standardized and professional programs. They tend to cost money. I think one of the things that wings are going to do more is find private grants/funding to help support activities like encampments. There's money out there, it takes someone dedicated and with at least some skill set to hunt it down. And I don't just mean from legislatures.

But no matter how you boil it down, in general, CAP encampments are among the cheapest week-long 'summer camps' out there.

Extremepredjudice

Just got home from encampment. We used the new material. I will post my full review soon.

Mr. Lafond was there and recieved a bunch of feedback.

My initial review is: It sucked. The doolies (students) didn't learn [Filter Subversion]

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

HGjunkie

I never knew that word had 5 letters in it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 01:16:13 AM
Just got home from encampment. We used the new material. I will post my full review soon.

Mr. Lafond was there and recieved a bunch of feedback.

My initial review is: It sucked. The doolies (students) didn't learn [Filter Subversion]

What in the world is a doolie, and what in the world did they learn in the past?

a2capt

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 01:16:13 AMMy initial review is: It sucked. The doolies (students) didn't learn [Filter Subversion]
That's apparently his chosen (derogatory, pointless and unnecessary) term for 1st year attendees.  I don't care what justification you try to give it. It's unprofessional.

The people at National Headquarters are not perfect. But I will tell you this. They have -a lot- more years of experience, a lot more resources to draw from, and a lot more experience to dwell on. When they are making changes and additions to the various aspects of this organizations curriculum, I'm pretty darn confident that they have just a slight idea of what they are doing.

But apparently, so do you.  :o

I'm looking forward to that review. I hope it's a lot more constructive than this initial reply.

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 01:16:13 AM

Seriously?

Having that term specifically disavowed in the guide isn't enough?

Maybe the students didn't have leaders who actually knew the curriculum, and confused CAP with some other unrelated organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Considering that particular poster's history said comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

Extremepredjudice

So mr. Lafond said the curriculum is intended to be taught a lot at the flight/squadron level. The drawback is, not every line staff is created equal. So there isn't really a standardized result. So some flights got amazing classes, others got horrid classes. IMHO, get rid of this. It creates to many different results.

In the curriculum there was very little opportunity for drill or base tours. The tours offered were short and no one had time to see everything (unlike last year). As they were marching to graduation they looked exactly the same as they did arriving. I would say there was little or no improvement. Even in the flights with good line staff. There just wasn't enough time.

The book itself is spiral bound. As we all know basics destroy their handbooks. All of them were falling apart by the third day. The basics got their 8.5 hrs of sleep. They still complained about the amount of sleep. Staff didn't get 8 hrs of sleep. Depending on your job, the average was more like 7 hours or less. Personally, I got 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days (so if you didn't like how my previous post was worded, that is why.).

The book is basically something you should read before you go to encampment. It doesn't serve as a good replacement to the FLWG ETG (recommend everyone reads it). It lacks region/wing touch (obviously). It doesn't have statistics or infomation about your wing. So none of the basics knew stuff about their wing.

The book doesn't have CAP ranks and terms of address. The basics didn't have any real understanding of ranks.

The chain of command is in the book a good ten pages. Plus, there is no name spot. If I find a handbook laying around how am I supposed to direct the book back towards the correct basic. The chain of command needs to be just inside the cover.

The book fits ok into bdu cargo pockets. It isn't somethig you can put away in a few seconds. Especially if you don't want it to fall apart.

IIRC, in the chain of comand disgram it is only encampment. There should be a spot for everything upto at LEAST national/cc.

More stuff to follow. I am going to go back to sleep.

If you guys see spelling or grammar errors, get over it. I don't care right now.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Extremepredjudice

Another thing that came to me: FLWG was testing out using cell phones as the primary means of communications, rather than radios. All OICs and commanders kept their phones. Everyone else used FRS radios. They used a 3rd party company to make a group texts to everyone.

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA. I would be about to go to sleep, and then an OIC would walk in and tell me I needed to be half a mile away in bdus in 5 minutes.

By the end of the week all the command staff started to use EF johnsons.

Cell phones run into service issues, level of technical knowledge, (not every SM can text) is it on slient, vibrate, etc. shorter battery life, people messing around on facebook, the need to have everyone's phone numbers.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Most of your complaints have nothing to do with the new curriculum, and appear to be management issues with the specific activity.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

No. I filtered all the management issues out. I put my thoughts on the new stuff (the phone thing was for NHQ, too) that was tried out for NHQ.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

arajca

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 03:59:01 PM
So mr. Lafond said the curriculum is intended to be taught a lot at the flight/squadron level. The drawback is, not every line staff is created equal. So there isn't really a standardized result. So some flights got amazing classes, others got horrid classes. IMHO, get rid of this. It creates to many different results.
Were the flight staff trained on the material and how to instruct or were they just handed the guide and told to teach this? 

QuoteIn the curriculum there was very little opportunity for drill or base tours. The tours offered were short and no one had time to see everything (unlike last year). As they were marching to graduation they looked exactly the same as they did arriving. I would say there was little or no improvement. Even in the flights with good line staff. There just wasn't enough time.
What was the goal of the encampment - instruct newer cadets or tour the base?

QuoteThe book itself is spiral bound. As we all know basics destroy their handbooks. All of them were falling apart by the third day.
I haven't seen the tendancy of basics to destroy their handbooks. Most of the ones I've seen get damaged by the end, but are not destroyed. IIRC, this was brought up earlier as well.

QuoteThe basics got their 8.5 hrs of sleep. They still complained about the amount of sleep.
You're not going to stop them complaining.
QuoteStaff didn't get 8 hrs of sleep. Depending on your job, the average was more like 7 hours or less. Personally, I got 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days (so if you didn't like how my previous post was worded, that is why.).
Need to learn better time management skills, which is one goal for the staff - senior and cadet.

QuoteThe book is basically something you should read before you go to encampment. It doesn't serve as a good replacement to the FLWG ETG (recommend everyone reads it). It lacks region/wing touch (obviously). It doesn't have statistics or infomation about your wing. So none of the basics knew stuff about their wing.
Never saw the FLWG ETG. As for stats, what's stopping you from adding a page on your wing?

QuoteThe book doesn't have CAP ranks and terms of address. The basics didn't have any real understanding of ranks.
They should be learning that at their home uinit before coming to encampment.

QuoteThe chain of command is in the book a good ten pages. Plus, there is no name spot. If I find a handbook laying around how am I supposed to direct the book back towards the correct basic. The chain of command needs to be just inside the cover.
How about telling the cadets to write their name on the front cover, upper right corner?

QuoteThe book fits ok into bdu cargo pockets. It isn't somethig you can put away in a few seconds. Especially if you don't want it to fall apart.
OK, give them an extra few seconds to put it away.

QuoteIIRC, in the chain of comand disgram it is only encampment. There should be a spot for everything upto at LEAST national/cc.
At encampment, the chain of command for encampment is what matters. The rest should be taught at the home units.

arajca

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 04:11:59 PM
Another thing that came to me: FLWG was testing out using cell phones as the primary means of communications, rather than radios. All OICs and commanders kept their phones. Everyone else used FRS radios. They used a 3rd party company to make a group texts to everyone.

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE IDEA.
Agreed, bad idea.

QuoteI would be about to go to sleep, and then an OIC would walk in and tell me I needed to be half a mile away in bdus in 5 minutes.
What time? After lights out when you're supposed to be sleeping or during the day when you're not supposed to be sleeping?

QuoteBy the end of the week all the command staff started to use EF johnsons.

Cell phones run into service issues, level of technical knowledge, (not every SM can text) is it on slient, vibrate, etc. shorter battery life, people messing around on facebook, the need to have everyone's phone numbers.
One of the CAP communications principles is NOT rely on commercial infrastructure. That's why we have radios.

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 05:03:10 PM
No. I filtered all the management issues out. I put my thoughts on the new stuff (the phone thing was for NHQ, too) that was tried out for NHQ.

Base tours, for example, are not a goal of the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Encampment Program.

Arajca hit most of the other highpoints.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

It looks like a video from the encampment has been posted:

'12-'13 Florida Winger WInter Encampment

Looks to me like the students were having a good time. I did notice what seemed to be a large number of students that didn't appear to be wearing any rank - is that something being tried with the new curriculum?

Майор Хаткевич

PA Guy

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2013, 03:59:01 PM
Personally, I got 10 hours of sleep in the past 3 days (so if you didn't like how my previous post was worded, that is why.).

Major leadership failure.

PA Guy

Quote from: Fubar on January 08, 2013, 06:09:45 AM
I did notice what seemed to be a large number of students that didn't appear to be wearing any rank - is that something being tried with the new curriculum?

No

Luis R. Ramos

Loved the video, except when they fast-forwarded an activity. Were they trying to poke fun at what happened? Maybe you do not care, but to me when you fast-forward a video of an activity is that people are poking fun at what is going on.

More important is teaching things properly.

As a first-aid instructor, as an EMT-Basic (certificate expired, however), and having worked as a volunteer EMT, I found something troubling.

The video shows "carrying a litter." One cadet or instructor at the feet on the left side is instructing another to grab the feet on the right side. The instructor proceeds to lift the litter by keeping knees straight and bending at the waist. I was always taught that litters are lifted by keeping waist straight, bending the knees. The way that instructor had the cadet do. Is this a case of "don't do as I do, do as I teach you?" Is it a new way of carrying a litter?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Extremepredjudice

Ranks were taken off the day of the O-course because they were a "safety" hazard...

The litter carry was part of the o course. They didn't recieve any training on how to pick it up.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

PHall

Quote from: Fubar on January 08, 2013, 06:09:45 AM
It looks like a video from the encampment has been posted:

'12-'13 Florida Winger WInter Encampment

Looks to me like the students were having a good time. I did notice what seemed to be a large number of students that didn't appear to be wearing any rank - is that something being tried with the new curriculum?

In CAWG we have all cadets who wear metal grade insignia on their collar remove it before they go to the confiedence course.
Saves on trying to find it later when they realize it fell off while they were running the course.

Eclipse

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/?encampment_guide__handbook__2014&show=entry&blogID=1145

"We anticipate that the Cadet Encampment Guide and Cadet Encampment Handbook that have been in draft status for over a year will be finalized and published by Christmas, in time for the planning season for the summer '14 encampments.

We know that there are a couple spring encampments out there. Those encampments will NOT be bound by the new guidelines in the spring '14 season.

Please stay tuned to the Cadet Blog for future developments. Region and Wing DCPs, we'll send you an announcement via email once the new materials are ready. Again, Christmas is the target.

Our thanks to everyone who has contributed to the document reviews and field tests."

Hopefully the new 52-10 / 52-16 CPPT rules and related docs will hit by then as well.  A new 39-1 thrown in would be icing on the cake.
If those all get published by Spring, a lot of the stuff we complain about discuss here will be settled once and for all, at least in terms
of the expectations. 

Enforcement will be the next challenge.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2013, 08:27:29 PM
Hopefully the new 52-10 / 52-16 CPPT rules and related docs will hit by then as well.  A new 39-1 thrown in would be icing on the cake.
If those all get published by Spring, a lot of the stuff we complain about discuss here will be settled once and for all, at least in terms
of the expectations.
Or not.  >:D

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2013, 08:27:29 PMEnforcement will be the next challenge.

Agreed. Right now it seems the plan is to have the encampment commander self-certify that everything went according to regulation and have the wing commander rubber-stamp it. Seeing as we've allegedly being using CAP-RAP folks up to this point to ensure we're following the rules and we still had wings with cadets wearing smokey the bear hats and Gunnery Sergeant Hartman wannabes, I'm not entirely optimistic for this new arrangement.

CAPAPRN

This needs to go -

The inference is that it isn't a coincidence, and that Gen Byrd was somehow involved."

WHAT HE SAID!!!!! How the heck did that even get past the first draft????? Seriously, this is a REALLY bad idea, as well as slander against Gen. Byrd. I would hope the moderator of this forum could intervene at national. I am doing my second encampment of the year next month, and I would never allow this material to be used. Anyone wanting to verify that this isn't the insane raving of CAPTALK members check out the pamphlet link its on page 48 "Cap Trivia"
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Eclipse

That's seriously still in there?

If I was Byrd or his family I'd have an issue with that big time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Offutteer

"Holy zombie raising event, Batman!" 

That was removed a long time ago, but thanks for checking before posting...

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Vector__JanuaryMarch_2014_029373D619EB6.pdf

Encampment Curriculum: Having successfully completed field tests, a new encampment curriculum and
supporting resources become available in January, with nationwide implementation taking effect on 1 June
. Region and Wing CCs and CPs will receive full details via email in January and the documents will be
posted to www.capmembers.com/encampment.

That's two+ years for those of you scoring at home...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

From the April-June Vector: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/AprJun_2014_Vector_3027BE9DE242C.pdf

"Encampment Curriculum: The new encampment curriculum and supporting resources are now available.
These are the primary planning documents specifying encampment goals, curriculum requirements,
operational standards, and suggested best practices. The Cadet Encampment Guide, lesson plans and
other resources may be found on www.capmembers.com/encampment. To request hard copies, please
email jlee@capnhq.gov by 1 May. The request should include the proposed date of the encampment, total
number of cadets participating, and the name / address for shipping. Hard copies, if needed, will ship in
May. Nationwide implementation takes effect on 1 June 2014. Cadet Programs will have Q&A sessions
about the new curriculum for DCPs and Encampment CCs. Two sessions are available, 6 pm PDT 21 April
and 6 pm EDT 24 April. To sign up, email jlee@capnhq.gov by 18 April."

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/activities/encampments.cfm

"That Others May Zoom"