Main Menu

Following orders

Started by falcon00, September 10, 2012, 11:52:10 PM

Chappie

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 11, 2012, 05:41:55 PM
Chappie,

I may come off as hostile towards Chaplains, but I am not. I don't feel the need to utilize them personally, I've had bad experiences overall, but I understand what they are good for to those who want them. Lets make it clear, there are certainly chaplains like the one mentioned in this incident. There are certainly those who are a bad fit for the job. But most ARE respectful, knowledgeable, and play by the rules.

My personal view is that we really don't need a chaplain corps. The RM is full time, with religious people making up the bulk of service members. They are there because those people may need them a lot more than we do. For us? a 2-2.5 hour meeting per week? A day activity? A weekend activity? A week activity? Some NCSAs are around 2 weeks.

If you have issues that you need religious guidance for, then either wait to go to your house of worship or your holyman/woman. Or give them a call from the activity you are at. If it's a non-religious issue, then you should be able to talk to ANY SM. Most of the "troubles" I experienced as a cadet were resolved by the regular SMs. As it should be.

No problem...I did not detect hostility....just honest questions and observations based on your experience.  Regarding the need of CAP chaplains ... true that CAP is not like the RM where people are taken away from their home and based/deployed where they might not have the social/spiritual connections that once enjoyed and when a need arises would turn to, the CAP chaplain meets many needs within the organization:

1) Based on my experience there are week-end events where the activity is located away from a community and CAP members would like a religious service (we have had some cadet activities where parents have
insisted that their child attend a religious service or they would not be able to attend the activity).  Often logistics of transporting either cadets or senior members to a place of worship is a nightmare, so the CAP chaplain corps can facilitate this need.   There have been those occassions when Catholic/Jewish/Protestant services can't be provided and the chaplain can/does conduct a non-denominational/non-sectarian service.

2)  In my 16 years of CAP chaplaincy I have had the opportunity to participate in many life events of members as they have requested my services for conducting a wedding or a memorial service for themselves or a member of their family....or requested my presence when then or a family member were hospitalized.

3) Ask a cadet (especially in the CAWG) if a member of the "God Squad" didn't come in handy at an Encampment  :)

4) I don't have the article in front of me, but several years ago, Chaplain, Col Jay Hughes was the secretary of the Chaplain Corps Executive/Advisory Councils (took off the cross to become the GAWG Commander...and following his tenure has returned to the Chaplain Corps) observed that a chaplain can assist a commander in many ways (trying to remember all that he observed...but here is what I can remember):
    a.  knowledge of volunteer mentality - though larger churches may enjoy a few paid staff members, the major work of a church is conducted by volunteers.  Motivating them, recruiting them, training them, retaining them is a continual process for a pastor.   Knowing how to work with volunteers is something chaplains bring to the table.
    b.  communications - most pastors should be able at least talk and write.  Assisting a commander or a PAO in the areas of publications, or putting together a statement to read or printed could be useful.
    c.  confidant - once again, possessing some people skills and experience working with people can be a valuable asset to a commander who is faced with dealing with a difficult member.  Since chaplains cannot serve as IG or on Grievance Committees -- they can be an impartial party...and possibly facilitate or defuse issues in a squadron.

5) While it is true that a non-religious issue could be discussed with ANY SM, one of the privileges that chaplains (and legal officers) have is that of confidentialty.  In my years of service as a CAP chaplain, I can not begin to count how many times either a cadet or SM has sought my counsel and requested it to be confidential (BTW -- I consider all my counseling to be confidential....unless I was a 2nd opinion sought after discussing a matter with a SM or a non-clergy person).

6)  Believe it or not, there are members in CAP who do not have a house of worship or a holy man/woman but consider their squadron/group/wing or region chaplain to be theiir "holy man/woman".

7)  Non-CAP clergy can be a resource at times...however, they do not have a working knowledge of CAP and its organization...nor are they held to its regulations.  One of the good things that has occurred in the CAP chaplain corps in recent years is that Chaplains are now required to attend SLS/CLC to meet the requirements of levels 2 and 3.  And they are no longer promoted on the basis of breathing in and out for a number of years (time-in-grade).  Chaplains are now required to meet the same level of training for promotions. 

There is a corollary that I have embraced:  "All chaplains should be pastors (in the general word of providing care for others); but not all pastors can be chaplains".  There is a certain philosophy and way of conducting oneself within the four walls of a house of worship or within a particular denomination/faith group that pastors maintain.  However, a chaplain must be able to minister/serve others that are not of his/her faith group and even those who don't share his/her faith.  The true account of the Four Chaplains in WWII certainly demonstrates this corollary.  There is an account of a Roman Catholic chaplain in WWII who came across a dying soldier and offered to pray for him.  The young soldier looked at the priest and said, "But I don't belong to your church."  To which the priest said, "But you belong to my God."  It is in that spirit which CAP chaplains should serve...a particular CAP member may not belong to my church...but they certainly are one of God's fellow creatures.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chaplaindon

As a retired CAP chaplain, who also served as a Squadron Commander, Deputy Commander for Cadets, Deputy Commander for Seniors, and in a variety of group, wing, region and national (volunteer) staff positions during my nearly 23 year CAP career, I would like to comment on usafaux2004 remarks. While I appreciate his generosity in mentioning that most chaplains he's been associated with in CAP have been "respectful, knowledgeable, and play by the rules" (as ALL CAP members normatively are/do), I respectfully disagree with his/her assertion that CAP "really [doesn't] need a chaplain corps."

As one might logically presume, I believe CAP needs and benefits from a Chaplain program. That it offers at least four (4) distinctive benefits to CAP and to the active/reserve/guard components of our armed forces.

FIRST: Chaplains ensure RELIGIOUS ACCOMMODATION to CAP members, both senior and cadet. By that I mean that chaplains are tasked with making sure that the religious needs (if any) of the membership are respected and accommodated ... and their right to be free FROM religion if they so choose.

This is a First Amendment matter. Chaplains are responsible to ensure that a member's right to the "free exercise" (1st Amendment wording ...) of his or her religious faith is not breached or amended by participation in CAP. Furthermore, a chaplain has the responsibility to ensure that a member is not coerced or forced into a religious practice (or deterred from same) by anyone in CAP. 

This was the source of significant controversy and embarrassment a few years ago at the USAF Academy when it was learned that senior Academy leadership ("RM" folks) were showing overt support for a particular doctrinal view of Christianity and, less-than-subtly pressuring cadets into accepting that view by use of their power and influence as the cadet's constituted superiors. To the forfeit of her military career, Chaplain, Capt. Melinda Morton, USAF, (a Lutheran clergyperson) challenged the practice and took on the Academy leadership and the USAF to ensure appropriate religious accommodation. Subsequently, changes were made.

While we're not the USAF, CAP can experience similar power-politics. It is a Chaplain's duty to hold personnel/leadership accountable to make sure that the religious practice rights of a member are not trampled, ignored or minimized. One example of this can be encounntered during weekend CAP activities.

By virtue of its volunteer/unpaid nature, many critical CAP activities must take place over weekends. Weekends (Friday through Sunday) just happen to encompass holy days for many faith traditions. A member may feel that s/he may be forced to choose between the "free exercise" of his/her religious faith and their membership in CAP. I know, I've been one of those members. Furthermore, by virtue of grade, position, or politics a member may feel intimidated or powerless to respond. A chaplain can help.

A chaplain can/should work with the activity leadership (both prospectively and in real time) to try and find work-arounds so as to allow members, who so choose to do so, to continue the practice of their faith tradition AND be an active and functional CAP member. For example, a chaplain COULD/SHOULD speak with the organizing project officer to discuss the matter, organize religious services scheduled around the event(s), and/or post times and places of community worship services and work with members who wish to attend to make sure they can get there.

This is nothing akin to prosletizing evangelizing members against their will (or furthering one belief system over another), rather it is ensuring that their will is respected and accommodated, insofar as possible. Mind you, I've been criticized for suggesting that a member would ever elect to practice their faith instead of completing CAP training (e.g. "CAP should take precedence, if they're serious members"). That too, should be a matter of personal desire.

No member should be ever required to put CAP activities above the practice of their faith nor precluded from doing so if they wish. That is as repehensible as a chaplain knowingly using a CD session to promote attendance at her/his church or futherance of a given religious doctrine or dogma. Any commander/leader who would demand such a thing, one way or another needs to be corrected by a chaplain. Likewise, any chaplain (or CDI, or member) that would do such a thing needs immediate correction by her/his commander. If the Bill of Rights constrains no less than Congress from "make[ing] no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," I can't see where CAPR's permit any member (from Cadet Airman to Major General) do so.

Such religious tolerance can sadly pose a problem for some clergy (as it does for some people) and that's why chaplaincy (and CAP) isn't for everybody. CAP, like our Nation as a whole, is religiously pluralistic, if a cleric cannot respect and support each member's own belief or faith traditions, or lack thereof, (that's different from embracing or agreeing with them) so as to accommodate their "free practice," then the CAP chaplaincy isn't for them.

For example, I'm a Christian/Protestant clergyperson but I remember being an encampment chaplain when one member openly stated he was a "pagan." Although I'm definitely NOT a pagan, I was still to be a chaplain available to that member (and to the Muslim cadet and the LDS senior member and the Jewish member, etc.), if they wished. Similarly, if a pilot can't be bothered to pass a CAP checkride or adhere to CAP's extensive list of aviation rules and regulations, good pilot though they may be, being a CAP pilot likely isn't for him/her.

The SECOND benefit of the chaplaincy is related to this first one. It is to advise and consel commanders and their staff on religious matters, as they directly affect CAP and its missions (e.g. accommodation, free practice, tolerace). In addition, as one of the only CAP members with a constituted right of confidentiality, a chaplain may be party to information regarding the morale or well-being of a member, members or a unit, in a way not possible for a commander or other staff. Without divulging privileged information, a chaplain may be able to assist a commander in preventing a problem or resolving one.

The THIRD benfit has to do with MORAL/ETHICAL GUIDANCE. As part of the Master of Divinity degree, required of (non-waiver) CAP and military chaplains, is usually some formal academic instruction in ethics/morals (the words literally mean the same, really, ethics is of Greek origin and morals of Latin origin). This background can serve as a resource in member development, both senior and cadet.

There used to be a program called "Ethics for Command" that I made a regular part of unit training for senior members when I was a squadron commander, long before I became a chaplain. Although normatively led by one of our unit chaplain, this is NOT a religious activity, rather it was a practical and lively exercise of quite practical decision-making methodologies. It supported all of the missions of CAP as all require ethical decision-making. That's how I led ML/CD programs for cadets as well.

Said guidance can be on a broad-scale or person to person. Again, a chaplain (unlike a CDI) offers confidential consel. As a commander (and Deputy, so forth) I found the chaplain was the perfect person to "bounce ideas off of" when I was working out my next step in a matter of consequence. I may not have embraced his/her individual faith tradition, but I valued their consel and confidence.

I can tell you that a large-scale example of this happened 7 years ago in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In the poor judgement of someone, either at CAP National HQ or with the JTF-Katrina, absolutely no chaplain were permitted to deploy as chaplains. A few days into the disaster the CISM teams, I was involved with were sent in and encountered many morale issues that could/should have been dealt with by chaplains, days earlier. By the time the CISM teams arrived, they'd bloomed into significant stress issues/crises requiring more significant intervention. Had CAP volunteers had access to chaplains in the field early on, it would have made a huge difference in the overall stress and morale of our forces.

The FOURTH benefit is to the USAF, who is in need of chaplain support. It is worthwhile to note that there are only about 150 fewer CAP chaplains as there are active duty USAF chaplains ... in the whole USAF. And there have been, and likely will continue to be –especially under sequestration- cuts in that current numbers.

To ensure chaplain support of the USAF, CAPR 265-1 (E), §A, 2b, (p. 1): stated [at least last time I checked] "The Secretary of the Air Force may use the services of Civil Air Patrol chaplains in support of the Air Force active duty and reserve component forces to the extent and under the conditions that the Secretary deems appropriate." The same paragraph adds, "In anticipation of this requirement the CAP Chaplain Service will ... provide appropriate training to prepare [CAP chaplains] for domestic, non-combat ministries." This is IAW Chapter 909, Title 10, USC § 9446.

The CAP chaplain service is needed to support the USAF war-fighters and their families. CAP chaplains have been serving in this role since before 9/11 and to a much greater degree since. Non-waiver CAP chaplains are the only component of CAP to be equally qualified (academically and ecclesiastically) as their USAF colleagues. In recognition of this distinction, CAP chaplains wear the USAF chaplain badge. 

Bottom line, CAP needs a chaplaincy because the USAF needs them to have one. So long as CAP wears the blue suit of the USAF and holds itself, however tenuously, to be the USAF's Auxiliary, we must respect their demands upon us.

There is one area, though where I do find myself in partial agreement with some of the critics of the chaplain service. It has to do with the consistency of practice of our chaplains. Not every chaplain does what they are supposed to do. Mind you, as the USAF Academy controversy of a few years ago (or the more recent Basic Training sexual abuse scandal) demonstrated not every USAF chaplain or commander/staff officer does as they should either.

This is where standards and accountability needs to be focused upon. Just as our pilots pass standardized FAA licensing examinations, and standardized CAPF-5 checkrides, chaplains (and other staff officers likewise) need to have better and more standardized training. Much of the professional "chaplain training" in CAP comes at the Region Chaplain Staff Colleges. These are excellent in-residence courses normally taken well after one becomes a practicing chaplain. It's the timing of the Colleges that's my issue.

I think CAP needs a basic chaplain training program (analogous to the USAF chaplain school) BEFORE chaplains pin on their badge and start their ministry. Similarly, I believe that we need to have one standard for CAP chaplain's educational requirements, namely one consistent with the USAF. As it is we have two levels of chaplains, regular (with a Master of Divinity degree or similar from an accredited theological school) and "waiver" chaplains who do not. Only regular chaplains may serve in USAF "backup" roles. I think that should be the standard.

Thus there should be a minimum pre-membership educational requirements for chaplain candidates and an initial "basic chaplain course" before they are allowed to serve a unit. I personally developed a program to provide initial training for new chaplains and to standardize the training of existing chaplains ten years ago. It was submitted through channels and sadly went nowhere.

Sadly, if CAP isn't going to do a better job of recruiting and training clergy for the specific rigors of CAP chaplaincy, continue to develop and evaluate chaplains during their career and hold them accountable as professionals (not unlike the way we evaluate pilots and others), CAP's chaplain program will continue to be a hit or miss affair. I believe most chaplains are dedicated professionals keen on the unique challenges of their vocation, but without the support of the membership (that's TOTALLY different from agreeing with their theology, faith traditions, or politics) they too will seek other venues to serve, and then who do you have left in a crisis like the next Katrina?

Let's respect and support CAP chaplains as we ought to respect, support, and thank all our members. Instead of looking for ways/reasons to eliminate the chaplain program, let's look –together- to make it better, stronger, and more useful for CAP, the USAF and our Nation.

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Chappie

abdsp51

I have made use of the Chaplains service on numerous occasions, and have felt better afterwards.  When I have gone I have made it known that I would like the religous tone kept at a minimum.  They are an exceptionally beneficial service both in the AF and CAP.  I do believe that chaplains should led some of our curriculum but shouldn't push one belief or another on membership.

BlueLakes1

Falcon00, I know that we have a Falcon Squadron in Indiana. If you're assigned there, would you mind to contact me? I'd be happy to help bring some resolution to your issues. Please email me at mcreed@inwg.cap.gov, or PM me for my telephone number.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Private Investigator

Quote from: Chaplaindon on September 11, 2012, 09:13:33 PM
As a retired CAP chaplain, ...during my nearly 23 year CAP career

Thank you sir for your service. That was great information ou shared with us.   :clap:

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have made limited use of Chaplains in CAP, because I simply haven't been in units that had many of them (only one, and we lost him when he got a call to a congregation in another state).  However, I have known two outstanding AF Chaplains, one Roman Catholic and one Jewish.  Despite the fact that I am of neither faith (I am Lutheran), both were exceedingly helpful to me and I consider them a blessing from God when I needed them.

As far as "following orders" goes...at the risk of sounding like "take my toys and go home," after almost 20 years of off-and-on CAP involvement I've come to realise that "orders" given in CAP are very much subject to how the recipient of the orders wants to view them in light of the fact that, unlike in the RealMilitary, if someone gets a raw deal in CAP they can say "I don't need this Bravo Sierra" and leave the organisation.  As a Captain-hopefully-soon-to-be-Major, I am very cautious in doling out "orders."  I get a much better response from people if I ask them to do something, rather than say "Lieutenant/Cadet, this needs to be done, now rock it! (which I've never done anyway)."

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RRLE

FWIW - the issue of the OP could never arise in the USCG Aux since there is no command authority in the Aux. Although both organizations are civilian auxiliaries to military organizations, the leadership authority is vastly different.

The following are quotes from the Auxiliary Manual on the topic:

QuoteIn the Auxiliary, the phrase ―chain of leadership and management‖ describes a system of organizational communication and responsibility providing for an effective and efficient path for the flow of information through all organizational levels. The system is best described as a chain of leadership and management rather than a chain of command, as no military command authority exists. ...

The Auxiliary, as a uniformed organization of civilian volunteers, presents unusual leadership and management challenges. There is no authority to hire or fire an Auxiliarist, nor is there any military command authority. ...

Leadership and management capability rests on Auxiliarists' consent and on effective leadership skills. ...

Effective Auxiliary leaders convince Auxiliarists to accept personal responsibility for task and mission accomplishment for which they have volunteered.

Also FWIW - the Aux does not have chaplains and never did. A unit leader may appoint Lay Leaders. Even if ordained the Lay Leader may not use the title Chaplain and may not wear Chaplain insignia. The Lay Leader's job is mostly to lead invocations. With that said, it is not hard to find evidence in unit newsletters where the unit has designated a chaplain in violation of the regs.

Chaplaindon

Quote from: RRLE on September 13, 2012, 12:10:13 PM
Also FWIW - the Aux does not have chaplains and never did. A unit leader may appoint Lay Leaders. Even if ordained the Lay Leader may not use the title Chaplain and may not wear Chaplain insignia. The Lay Leader's job is mostly to lead invocations. With that said, it is not hard to find evidence in unit newsletters where the unit has designated a chaplain in violation of the regs.

That's a good point.

As an Auxiliarist (currently) myself, I happily serve as the Publications Officer (FSO-PB). That said, I would likely apply to be an AUX Chaplain if such a position was ever created, but I only hold my breath during water survival and egress training, not for this slim possibility.

However, with the lingering threat of sequestration in DC, I wonder what effect such draconian cuts to the DoD budget might have on the continued availability of US Navy Chaplains to minister to the active and reserve USCG, the so-called "Gold Side."

An Auxiliary Chaplain program, to support the USCG and augment a potentially GREATLY reduced cadre of USN Chaplains, seems, at least, plausible. Just because the CGAUX never had them before doesn't mean an yet-unforeseen-necessity won't "parent" an invention. The USN never had women serving on submarines until recently either ...

Hopefully sequestration won't happen and the USN Chaplains will continue their long-standing tradition of dutiful service to our Coasties.

Regardless, I'll remain available should the situation ever change.

Semper Paratus!
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'm not surprised to hear that about the Navy Chaplaincy.

I've thought that of all the Chaplain Services, they're spread the most thin...they have to cover the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and NOAA (?) and USPHS (?).

Waaayyy back in time when I considered going to seminary, Chaplaincy was something I was weighing.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Chappie

Quote from: Chaplaindon on September 13, 2012, 03:42:38 PM
Quote from: RRLE on September 13, 2012, 12:10:13 PM

That's a good point.

As an Auxiliarist (currently) myself, I happily serve as the Publications Officer (FSO-PB). That said, I would likely apply to be an AUX Chaplain if such a position was ever created, but I only hold my breath during water survival and egress training, not for this slim possibility.

However, with the lingering threat of sequestration in DC, I wonder what effect such draconian cuts to the DoD budget might have on the continued availability of US Navy Chaplains to minister to the active and reserve USCG, the so-called "Gold Side."

An Auxiliary Chaplain program, to support the USCG and augment a potentially GREATLY reduced cadre of USN Chaplains, seems, at least, plausible. Just because the CGAUX never had them before doesn't mean an yet-unforeseen-necessity won't "parent" an invention. The USN never had women serving on submarines until recently either ...

Hopefully sequestration won't happen and the USN Chaplains will continue their long-standing tradition of dutiful service to our Coasties.

Regardless, I'll remain available should the situation ever change.

Semper Paratus!

Several years ago (early 2000's) there were reports circulating that the USCG Auxiliary was inquiring of the relationship that the CAP  Chaplain Corps had with the USAF Chaplain Corp and how CAP Chaplains functioned in order that they might institute something similar.   That was several years ago and nothing has been said since then as to what ever became of the idea.

RiverAux

Most recently they made it more difficult to become a "Lay Leader" in the Aux.  They aren't chaplains and aren't really officially staff officers and can't do much of anything. 

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7501922942/m/8710099492001?r=5360053592001#5360053592001

RRLE

Quote from: Chappie on September 13, 2012, 11:44:40 PM
Several years ago (early 2000's) there were reports circulating that the USCG Auxiliary was inquiring of the relationship that the CAP  Chaplain Corps had with the USAF Chaplain Corp and how CAP Chaplains functioned in order that they might institute something similar.   That was several years ago and nothing has been said since then as to what ever became of the idea.

Several years ago, one or two Auxiliary districts were allowed to run a trial chaplain program. I don't think the trial chaplains were allowed to wear chaplain insignia but they were called chaplains. The time period would fit with your timeline above. The program was abruptly terminated and strict orders went out from the USCG to stop using the title chaplain. No official explanation was ever given for the abrupt termination. Scuttlebutt has it that a not insignificant number of the trial chaplains were of the proselytizing variety and would not stop when requested. Rather then deal with the problems the USCG terminated the program with a 'never again'.