Another new AF uniform?

Started by Walkman, August 10, 2012, 08:58:36 PM

AngelWings

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 11, 2012, 02:26:17 AM
"I'd like the ceremonials."  will soon replace "I'd like the ABUs" as the mantra of cadets everywhere.
"May I have the ceremonials! I want the Marine Corps look a like uniform pleaze!"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I hope it's just a very restricted ceremonial uniform as I think it's quite ugly.

I would much prefer that we go back to these, with CAP cutouts/buttons and hard rank/blue nameplates for everyone.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LGM30GMCC

AD Me - There are times I think the USAF could use a ceremonial uniform that sits between Service Dress and Mess Dress in terms of formality. That being said, this uniform is a bit odd and would likely look horrific on some of our more...rotund...members. That being said, I hope the USAF continues to have a focus on nukes, RPAs, and devleopment of Airman over uniforms, manned fighters, and the like. It does also seem to me like some general wanted to feel special.

CAP Me - No real need, unnecessary cost, and finding a civilian equivalent when culturally we rarely would have something like this would be difficult at best.

Flying Pig

This is rant...... so skip it if your not interested. 

Holy COW......  That looks freakin stupid.  #1 the Air Force does not have any historical reference to having the high collar.  Maybe if they had started wearing it.... oh, I dont know, 100+ years ago that would be fine, but to intro it in 2012?  Lame...  The jacket with the belt?  Naaaaa...... If you want to show off your belly, go ahead.   When the Marines want to model a uniform the get some harda-- looking Sgt. Major with a bayonet scar on his cheek and a stack of medals who is in ripped physical shape.  When the AF models a uniform they get a guy who looks like my old biology teacher.  At least tailor them so they fit before you cinch down the belt.  Good grief......  who dresses these people.  If I had showed up to a dress blues inspection looking like a sack of potatoes I would have been on field day duty for 6 months.  The Air Force uses that look to convince people these uniforms look good.  Nothing beats the good ol' AF Class A jacket from the 90s.  Just the simple 4 pocket service coat. 

Майор Хаткевич

I agree somewhat, but...

*goes to Google.*
*sees Billy Mitchell with high collar*

The CyBorg is destroyed

The similarities are too close for comfort...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LGM30GMCC

Ya know...a lot of the AFs in the early years had very similar uniforms because a lot of countries have fairly similar uniforms.

Heck, even now there tends to be 'very similar to US' look, a 'Very similar to GB look', and the Soviet look...go figure. And even with that, the differences aren't that dramatic. They tend to all break down to 'some kind of over jacket, shirt with tie under it.'

I would love a dark blue uniform that is similar to STII-VI style, or similar to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. But part of that is the style just isn't here yet.

But yeah...these uniforms just feel like someone threw them together and wanted to look pretty and fancy. And given Gen Schwartz' view on new uniforms, I doubt it was him. Or maybe he just decided to have some laughs on his way out. 'Holy cow...look what I can make this guy do. This is fun!'

NCRblues

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 11, 2012, 03:33:26 PM
This is rant...... so skip it if your not interested. 

Holy COW......  That looks freakin stupid.  #1 the Air Force does not have any historical reference to having the high collar.  Maybe if they had started wearing it.... oh, I dont know, 100+ years ago that would be fine, but to intro it in 2012? 

Um.... http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/020903-o-9999b-082.jpg
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on August 11, 2012, 04:06:45 PM
Ya know...a lot of the AFs in the early years had very similar uniforms because a lot of countries have fairly similar uniforms.

The majority of air forces' uniforms come from the first independent air force - the Royal Air Force.  The Ike jacket came from the British battledress blouse.

The Commonwealth Dominions, except for South Africa, which kept British Army uniforms, and Australia, which had dark blue uniforms (still does), just took RAF uniform and added nationality shoulder flashes.

The early USAF uniform was quite similar to the RAF, especially in colour (compare the RAF battledress with USAF Ike jacket) and the "Heritage uniform" (the one with the belt) is very close to a modern RAAF service dress:

Point?

Everything old is new again, and there is nothing new under the sun.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on August 11, 2012, 05:18:41 AM
I hope it's just a very restricted ceremonial uniform as I think it's quite ugly.

I would much prefer that we go back to these, with CAP cutouts/buttons and hard rank/blue nameplates for everyone.

Did you even bother to read the post above that stated that this is a Restricted Ceremonial Uniform that is only worn by the Chief of Staff and the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force?

CAP will never, ever wear this uniform.

So what was your rant about?

Flying Pig

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 11, 2012, 03:40:02 PM
I agree somewhat, but...

*goes to Google.*

Billy Mitchell was in the Army and is wearing an Army uniform.  The Air Force as we know it was founded as a completely separate service a 11 years after Mitchell died.   To me, any connection they had to the traditions of the Army were severed then.  Obviously my own interpretation of how uniforms are decided.  But I hate uniforms that are made just to look cool.  There is no historical reference to the USAF post 1947 to have a high collar.  That was an infantry thing signifying the leather wraps Marines used to wear around their necks to prevent getting their throats cut, ie. Leather Necks.  I think the Army might have a similar correlation.  Who knows.   The Air Force can do a lot of things with their traditions, a high collar isnt one of them. 

LGM30GMCC

Um...I think the original high collars were because....and this may be shocking...that was a style at the time they were originally designed.

Just like the jackets worn at the end of WWII were a style.

When it comes to dress uniforms quite a lot of them just come down to style. This goes back for a very, very long time. If the USAF wants to have some historical ties back to its roots there's nothing wrong with that

Bloodsky

From the AF's facebook page:
Gen. Mark A. Welsh III addresses an audience after being sworn in as the 20th Air Force chief of staff during a ceremony at Joint Base Andrews, Md., Aug. 10, 2012. The unique ceremonial uniforms worn by the CSAF and the chief master sergeant of the Air Force during today's transition ceremony are authorized for wear only by these senior leaders when they attend events of a ceremonial nature. They are not intended for wear by any other individuals, groups, or the entire Air Force. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Christina Brownlow) (KJT)

Flying Pig

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on August 11, 2012, 06:33:03 PM
Um...I think the original high collars were because....and this may be shocking...that was a style at the time they were originally designed.

Just like the jackets worn at the end of WWII were a style.

When it comes to dress uniforms quite a lot of them just come down to style. This goes back for a very, very long time. If the USAF wants to have some historical ties back to its roots there's nothing wrong with that

So then what you are saying, is that there is only one service in the US that can actually trace the high collar back to origins in battle.  Nuff said....... >:D  Charge on Leathernecks!  I guess the Air Force can play too if they want.  Sound to me like we have a bunch of Generals who realized to late in life that they made a career out of the wrong service!  HAAAAAAA

LGM30GMCC

Um...no...

If you want to go back far enough...

Look at colonial military uniforms. They were based on British uniforms. And they had high collars.

Sorry, but the Marines uniforms, you trace 'em back far enough, go to the Brits. Just like every other US service. Go figure.

NCRblues

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on August 11, 2012, 07:29:56 PM
Um...no...

If you want to go back far enough...

Look at colonial military uniforms. They were based on British uniforms. And they had high collars.

Sorry, but the Marines uniforms, you trace 'em back far enough, go to the Brits. Just like every other US service. Go figure.

The English, French,Germans, Prussian (Friedrich Wihelm von Steuben was instrumental in a lot of things) and several other dominant military powers of the time of our founding. 90% of our "traditions" are just stolen goods.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

AngelWings

The "ceremonial" uniform that the generals were wearing are the same exact thing as the band uniform. Compare to the two and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 11, 2012, 05:44:11 PM
I agree somewhat, but...

*goes to Google.*

Billy Mitchell was in the Army and is wearing an Army uniform.  The Air Force as we know it was founded as a completely separate service a 11 years after Mitchell died.   To me, any connection they had to the traditions of the Army were severed then.  Obviously my own interpretation of how uniforms are decided.  But I hate uniforms that are made just to look cool.  There is no historical reference to the USAF post 1947 to have a high collar.  That was an infantry thing signifying the leather wraps Marines used to wear around their necks to prevent getting their throats cut, ie. Leather Necks.  I think the Army might have a similar correlation.  Who knows.   The Air Force can do a lot of things with their traditions, a high collar isnt one of them.

Yep.  Billy was Army as were many of the early US military aviation heroes and legends that the Air Force likes to claim as their own.  USAF history started in 1947.  Not sure why they try to claim a bunch of Army history. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 11, 2012, 07:58:01 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on August 11, 2012, 05:44:11 PM
I agree somewhat, but...

*goes to Google.*

Yep.  Billy was Army as were many of the early US military aviation heroes and legends that the Air Force likes to claim as their own.  USAF history started in 1947.  Not sure why they try to claim a bunch of Army history.

Because the Air Force didn't just happen? All of the early Air Force greats started in the Army Air service.

Private Investigator