CAPP 52-24

Started by Eclipse, August 09, 2012, 01:47:47 AM

AngelWings

20 minutes is a bit long, considering it should only take 10-15 minutes to eat a meal (from some study I cannot find the link of) and for the fact it's not like you can talk or really adjust, so it'd be absolutely horrible for the "students". It's not comfortable for the "students" at all.

jeders

Eating quickly also leads to indigestion, increased sick calls, and overeating. If you take longer to eat, you typically feel full after eating less food. If you cram everything down your pie hole at once, then you over fill and end up getting sick.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 09, 2012, 05:02:57 PM
A full plate of food can realistically be finished off in 10 minutes, maybe less if you're focused on actually eating. Especially since things like Stews, Chili and Rice are easy to get down without much effort.

Wolfing food without tasting it is a specific cause of of obesity, because your body's systems for feeling full are bypassed too quickly.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

20 minutes is reasonable, and realistic. Anything less is getting too micromanaging on the schedule. If you're that hard up that you need an extra 10 minutes in the day,  just add it. But cramming food in less is not productive.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on August 09, 2012, 05:44:25 PM
20 minutes is reasonable, and realistic. Anything less is getting too micromanaging on the schedule. If you're that hard up that you need an extra 10 minutes in the day,  just add it. But cramming food in less is not productive.

Agree 100% - anything else is just hardkewl FMJ.

The Navy has very specific rules about how long recruits are allowed / required to have to actually eat - not total galley time, sit down eat time.
One would imagine the other services do as well.

These types of situations would be where we would do well to emulate the military - the military of today, not 1963.  Further on that path,
encampment is much more akin to an Airman's first tech school then BMT.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Since no one is actually allowed to read the journal, What's the point?

"Students", I'd prefer "inflight cadets". I thought basics worked, but I understand the quick leap to BMT and then a hop to FMJ.

"Senior staff are eligible to receive encampment credit upon providing 40 hours' service on-site."

Considering the work that has to take place before an encampment, I think some of the 40 could be off-site or prior. Although it looks like we get an online encampment application process (ICUT anyone), there is a lot of work available for senior members to cover in preparation.

We are essentially talking about a ribbon or an additional clasp for senior members. Encampment is not a requirement for any other senior activities that I know of.

Overall, having a fairly comprehensive guide on how to hold an activity that is the gateway to cadet officership, NCSAs and has the Air Force's attention, seems like a good idea. I think they have avoided a one size fits all approach and that's coming from a Rhode Islander.

Eclipse

Quote from: phirons on August 09, 2012, 06:32:48 PM
"Senior staff are eligible to receive encampment credit upon providing 40 hours' service on-site."

Considering the work that has to take place before an encampment, I think some of the 40 could be off-site or prior. Although it looks like we get an online encampment application process (ICUT anyone), there is a lot of work available for senior members to cover in preparation.

The issue here is that until they upped the ante to the 30 hours required now, we had a lot of "ribbon shoppers" who would show up for an hour or two and expect encampment credit. 

I think the 30 hours is more reasonable, and it should be at the subjective approval of the commander, but KAY & SARAH.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2012, 05:25:58 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on August 09, 2012, 05:02:57 PM
A full plate of food can realistically be finished off in 10 minutes, maybe less if you're focused on actually eating. Especially since things like Stews, Chili and Rice are easy to get down without much effort.

Wolfing food without tasting it is a specific cause of of obesity, because your body's systems for feeling full are bypassed too quickly.

Maybe so but since we don't have an obesity problem in the USA or in CAP, it isn't an issue.   <<<< sarcasm.

Give them time to eat for stated reasons but also for a chance to decompress a little and relax between activities.   <<<<< serious

Besides, they also need time for a post meal smoke.  <<<< guess which!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2012, 06:49:48 PM
Quote from: phirons on August 09, 2012, 06:32:48 PM

The issue here is that until they upped the ante to the 30 hours required now, we had a lot of "ribbon shoppers" who would show up for an hour or two and expect encampment credit. 

I think the 30 hours is more reasonable, and it should be at the subjective approval of the commander, but KAY & SARAH.

The "ribbon shoppers" above are the worst case example. (They were probably trolling for salutes as well.  >:D )

If a senior says I can do x for y hours (I'm open to a minimum on y, maybe 8?) and does it on-site, off-off site or on the moon, let them have the award. Showing up unannounced and drinking coffee in front of the basics students for a day does not cut it.

I could even argue that in some cases an older cadet who has graduated the student role (and the cadet cadre role?) who says I can do x for y hours, should get the clasp.

I can't speak for everywhere but some years senior support is as scarce as hen's teeth. Having a few extra seniors or senior cadets around for in and out processing is worth a ribbon (or clasp) IMHO.

Garibaldi

OK...30/40 hours, as in 8-10 hour workdays, or as in from the time you sign in to when you sign out? Obviously, you can't be expected to get credit for the time spent sleeping, showering or using the latrine, but how is the time accounted for? I have no clue and I've been in CAP for 20 years or so, almost. Eating meals can ostensibly be counted as time monitoring cadets, I suppose?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

If you're showing up, staying overnight, and fully engaged in the encampment, you're going to get credit. If you're a day player, then
the commander has to look at the total effort.  Up until now, the 30 hours was more subjective, the 40 in the draft appears to be
be more specific to being there, turning wrenches.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Encampments are called "Type A" and Type B" again.  ;)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

If they do twenty minutes, can they allow some small conversating or something? 20 minutes sitting down worried if you do something wrong you'll get yelled at/in trouble is not fun. It's a tradeoff of time to eat versus being in the "firing zone".

Eclipse

Quote from: AngelWings on August 09, 2012, 09:07:39 PM
If they do twenty minutes, can they allow some small conversating or something? 20 minutes sitting down worried if you do something wrong you'll get yelled at/in trouble is not fun. It's a tradeoff of time to eat versus being in the "firing zone".

Sitting quietly or reading your OI Encampment Handbook, or perhaps making notes for your journal isn't going to kill anyone. 
Perhaps teaching our cadets to slow down and relax a bit would not hurt.

If you're getting yelled at, somebody is doing something wrong.

This is a training activity, not a stress induction excercise.  Perhaps the guide will get people to finally understand that.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2012, 09:24:19 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on August 09, 2012, 09:07:39 PM

Sitting quietly or reading your OI Encampment Hand, or perhaps making notes for your journal isn't going to kill anyone. 
Perhaps teaching out cadets to slow down and relax a bit would not hurt.

If you're getting yelled at, somebody is doing something wrong.

This is a training activity, not a stress induction excessive.  Perhaps the guide will get people to finally understand that.
That'd be reasonable.

BillB

Eclipse needs to proof his posts for typo or spelcheck errors
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: BillB on August 09, 2012, 11:30:09 PM
Lol, he also needs to stop double posting.

GET HIM!!! >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on August 09, 2012, 11:30:09 PM

What did I misspell?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

That last post, several at least a couple words are incomplete. Re-read it :)

Eclipse

No idea what you're talking about.

For some reason I am always too light on the "u" in "you".

"That Others May Zoom"