Main Menu

Covers

Started by Cool Mace, July 24, 2012, 08:26:25 PM

Cool Mace

Can anyone here help explain how this was approved for wear during encampment?

I'm not trying to flame on the cadet or anything, just wondering...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.501651983194453.133876.122212387805083&type=3

You don't need a face book to see it either.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Extremepredjudice

Not a valid link.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Cool Mace

Sorry about that. Should be good to go now.

You'll notice the cover right off the bat, fyi.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cool Mace on July 24, 2012, 08:26:25 PM

Likely no one ever considered the issue beyond "Wouldn't it be cool?..."

Looks like he's got stars on the Chiefs, too.  Whatever that's supposed to mean...

Prediction:

The photo will drop off Facebook within 24-48 hours.

And / or we'll get a couple of new members whose sole purpose here is to explain to us why that's OK.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.501651983194453.133876.122212387805083&type=3

Personally, unless he was an AD MTI, which I highly doubt since he was wearing cadet rank insignia, that kid has absolutely no right to wear that hat. CAP is NOT the Air Force. IMHO he is insulting those that EARNED the RIGHT to wear that hat.

/rant
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2012, 08:33:12 PM

Likely no one ever considered the issue beyond "Wouldn't it be cool?..."

Looks like he's got stars on the Chiefs, too.  Whatever that's supposed to mean...

Prediction:

The photo will drop off Facebook within 24-48 hours.

And / or we'll get a couple of new members who's sole purpose in life is to explained to us why that's OK.

They call him a Command Chief... Here is a quote from one of the other photos.

"Glad to see my tradition of the smoky still being used! Fought long and hard in 2004 to wear it. They wanted to take it away! Where is the whistle there chief!"

I didn't realize whistles were allowed for wear on blues?
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Is that a star in the middle of the C/CMSgt insignia?

Eclipse

They aren't.

Insert long ((*sigh*)) here.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2012, 08:36:12 PM
They aren't.

Insert long ((*sigh*)) here.

I should have added sarcasm in there...  ;)

How these things pass, will always elude me.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

SarDragon

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 24, 2012, 08:34:18 PM

Personally, unless he was an AD MTI, which I highly doubt since he was wearing cadet rank insignia, that kid has absolutely no right to wear that hat. CAP is NOT the Air Force. IMHO he is insulting those that EARNED the RIGHT to wear that hat.

/rant

It's not a right. It's a privilege.

Rights generally cannot be revoked. Privileges can, and that has certainly happened in the case of the DI/MTI hat.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Looks like the 1st Sgt diamond on the C/CMsgt grade
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Zoom in - those are stars, which would be in keeping with the "Command Chief" idea. Probably something homemade.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Let's not take this to the "it is insulting" phase.......that is not the point.  The point is that NHQ needs to come down on these sort of thing publicly, loudly and definitivly!

On the one hand....I don't really have that much heart burn over encampment staff wearing smokey bear hats.

I got a problem with people deciding that they want to do what they want to do.....and no one in authority doing squat about it.

I know I have argued about "the commander said I could".........and I still stand by that........HAMMER the Commander!

What needs to happen today....is the National CC needs to call the regional command.....and they both need to get on a confernece call with the wing commander and his director of CP and make sure this does not happen again!

It is because NHQ and lower level commanders don't stop these big things....that we get squadron commanders authorising boonie hats, white shoe laces and other petty sillyness.

How can I correct my cadets by saying "no it is not in the regs and I don't have the authority to allow it" when they can turn around and say "but at encampent....the command chief wore a smokey bear hat and had a star on his stripes".

This is what peeves me about uniform violations.  Much more then squadron commander X authorising boonies.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

You're right. That's not the point. The Wing CC should be having a conference with the Wing DCP and the encampment commander. Rest assured, if someone in our wing decided to do that, they would be looking for a ride home.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

abdsp51

Thankfully it's not a genuine AF MTI smokey hat. 

MSgt Van

Wow. Hope he doesn't yell at me.

abdsp51

Quote from: MSgt Van on July 25, 2012, 01:21:29 AM

Considering the badge in your sig block I think he'd be more worried about you yelling at him.

Major Lord

It has been written, that the great philosopher Lao Tzu ( the founder of Taoism) eventually grew sick at heart of the ways of men and wandered of into the desert to die, in the 6th century, B.C.E. My guess is that he foresaw that hat on that Cadet.

Major Lord
p.s Neither the Air Force or CAP have "Covers".
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Brad

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 25, 2012, 01:31:55 AM
Quote from: MSgt Van on July 25, 2012, 01:21:29 AM

Considering the badge in your sig block I think he'd be more worried about you yelling at him.

I think the hope was more for the cadet's sake  ;)

On-topic though, that has always been my pet-peeve with uniforms since high school with the JROTC programs: people who add their own little "embellishments" to the uniform and then trying to justify it by some local commander's ok, or even worse the offender just saying that "nobody told me not to".

If it is not in the regulation then you can't wear it, even though it doesn't mention it is specifically prohibited. How hard a concept is that?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Stonewall

Although I'm not a fan of the hat at a CAP encampment, I really can't get bent out of shape for it. 

From the other pictures, it looked to be a squared away encampment. 
Serving since 1987.