Visiting young marines or sea cadet unit

Started by cadetesman, July 07, 2012, 01:37:26 AM

cadetesman

Hello, wondering if anyone on here would have any tips about this.

I'm thinking about visiting a young marine or sea cadet unit for one night and then writing about it for volunteer now. Of course I'd do this with the approval of all appropriate people

Thoughts?

SarDragon

Check with your chain of command. They are the ultimate authority. Anything anyone else tells you on here is of limited usefulness.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

OK, so the first thing you shoud absolutley positively do is....

Quote from: SarDragon on July 07, 2012, 02:21:03 AM...Anything anyone else tells you on here is of limited usefulness.

...((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Get permission since you are wanting to write an article for a CAP publication.  Contact the unit you plan on attending and make sure they are OK with you attending for that purpose.  Since you plan on being there for an "official" purpose, I would request to attend their meeting wearing blues with ribbons.

And get an idea of what it is you want to see or write about while your there and an idea of who you want to interview so they can insure you dont show up on testing night, or whatever they do and everyone ends up being way to busy to even notice you.

First and foremost, show up with a genuine interest in conveying what they are about.  DO NOT get drug into any discussions about who is better, Marines, AF, Navy.... because none of it applies.  And also, think about taking a Senior Member with you as well.  As a SqCC, I would really advise that unless you are a cadet who is 18 or over.  I have seen instances where things got heated because two cadets from different organizations started getting heated about who was better than who.   That way you are not a cadet (minor) who is on "assignment" by yourself.  And that way a senior may be able to discuss the adult portion of the program and then maybe relay his findings to you for your article.

Beyond the, what I said is probably pretty limited in its usefulness .................

BTW, Marine is ALWAYS capitalized  ;)

bflynn

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 07, 2012, 04:10:16 AM

So you say there are airmen, sailors, soliders and Marines?  Sorry, but english grammar says otherwise.  As great as marines are, they are just another noun.

Besides, having once worked in a highly demanding undersea marine environment, I can tell you that it isn't always capitalized.

cadetesman

Thank, and I'm contacting my CoC Monday and the Young Marines and Sea Cadets.

Also, I know that neither of the organizations are better, they just do different things, and I'm planning on getting a Senior Member to accompany, as this is our squadron policy on these type of things. And of course, I would NOT try to recruit.

arajca

I presume you've already done this, but I'll say it anyway. Spend some time doing background reaserch before you go to the meeting.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: cadetesman on July 07, 2012, 01:37:26 AM
Hello, wondering if anyone on here would have any tips about this.

I'm thinking about visiting a young marine or sea cadet unit for one night and then writing about it for volunteer now. Of course I'd do this with the approval of all appropriate people

Thoughts?
I think you are wasting your time as well as others.   The purpose of the CAP public relations program is to focus in on what we the, "Civil Air Patrol", accomplish as an organization NOT give free PR to other organizations.  Stick to writing something about YOUR squadron and submit it.

BTW I've found even IF other agencies/organizations attend a CAP training course, their attendance/listing in the article is edited out of the story by National Hq before it is published in "Volunteer Now".

RM     

Eclipse

He's a cadet who is interested in what other similar-looking cadet organizations do and are about.  Maybe he'll find the Sea Cadets fit his need better - more power to him.

It's not like it's a secret, or that we're the only game in town.  There's also the reality that many times the simple exposure to CAP results in collateral recruiting without even saying the word.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

May I ask why you are planning to do this? It sounds interesting, just wondering what you are planning on getting out of this.

Woodsy

I have been considering visiting a CG Aux unit that meets near my home.  I'd probably go in an official CAP capacity, just to say hey, one auxiliary org to another.  Who knows, could lead to some sort of collaboration down the line.

MIKE

Quote from: Woodsy on July 07, 2012, 05:55:56 PM
I have been considering visiting a CG Aux unit that meets near my home.  I'd probably go in an official CAP capacity, just to say hey, one auxiliary org to another.  Who knows, could lead to some sort of collaboration down the line.

As an Auxie, I would not recommend this.  Go as an interested guest of the flotilla, and leave the uniform at home.  Some districts have/had CAP liaisons on staff.
Mike Johnston

Woodsy

Quote from: MIKE on July 07, 2012, 06:36:24 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on July 07, 2012, 05:55:56 PM

As an Auxie, I would not recommend this.  Go as an interested guest of the flotilla, and leave the uniform at home.  Some districts have/had CAP liaisons on staff.

May I ask why you wouldn't recommend this???  Heck, I'd think they'd be happy to have me.  I know I'd be glad to welcome them!  Shoot, they even met at our CAP building for several years (before my time) until they found their own facility a while back. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on July 07, 2012, 09:45:31 PMMay I ask why you wouldn't recommend this???  Heck, I'd think they'd be happy to have me.  I know I'd be glad to welcome them!  Shoot, they even met at our CAP building for several years (before my time) until they found their own facility a while back.

You might well find that there is bad blood between the two organizations.  Up around my way, we've got a handful of GOBs on both sides of the
fence who tell "tall tales of evil" about the other side, and FSM-forbid on the rare occasions they wind up in the same room or airfield.

Mostly he-said / he-said nonsense of people who don't do much but hangar fly, but that won't change the reception you might get.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: bflynn on July 07, 2012, 10:20:37 AM

So you say there are Airmen, Sailors, Soliders and Marines?  Sorry, but English grammar says otherwise.  As great as Marines are, they are just another noun.

Besides, having once worked in a highly demanding undersea marine environment, I can tell you that it isn't always capitalized.

FTFY. Current wisdom is to capitalize them all, as I have done. I suggest that you have your own act completely together before slamming others about their language skills.

You are correct about the usage of marine in the second paragraph, but that is as an adjective.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N Harmon

Quote from: SarDragon on July 07, 2012, 10:03:15 PM
FTFY. Current wisdom is to capitalize them all, as I have done.

I'm not sure that is correct. I believe the correct capitalization of titles varies on how they are used.

For example:

• Among us today are airmen, sailors, soldiers, and marines.
  • Emily is a United States Marine.
  • You passed the rifle qualification course, Marine.
  • I am planning a visit to the Young Marines.
  • John Smith, a marine serving in Afghanistan, was awarded the Navy Cross for heroic actions during the war.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Flying Pig

Quote from: bflynn on July 07, 2012, 10:20:37 AM

So you say there are airmen, sailors, soliders and Marines?  Sorry, but english grammar says otherwise.  As great as marines are, they are just another noun.

I guess the sarcasm of the smiley face was missed.

BillB

Like CAP is the Auxiliary of the Air Force, aren't the Marines the Auxiliary of the Navy?

Let the flaming war begin.....
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AngelWings

Quote from: BillB on July 08, 2012, 07:04:16 PM
Like CAP is the Auxiliary of the Air Force, aren't the Marines the Auxiliary of the Navy?

No, one team one fight  ;D This is NOT the Facebook group "You know you're in CAP when..."

Flying Pig

Quote from: BillB on July 08, 2012, 07:04:16 PM

I propose we ban BillB for for life for his inflammatory and insensitive post! >:D