Aviation Journalism Internship

Started by ProdigalJim, May 30, 2012, 02:30:10 AM

ProdigalJim

Folks:

I have an open summer internship position at Aviation Week in the DC buro, paid. It runs through roughly mid- to end-August. So far, I've been unimpressed with the resumes I've seen, so I'd like to throw it open to some of the college-age CAPTalkers who might fit the bill.

None of the below are set in stone, but if any of it sounds like you you're probably a good fit:

1) Rising college sophomore, junior or senior
2) Minoring (or Majoring if you insist)/considering Communications, Journalism, Media, English or the like
3) Committed to a career in journalism or communications, regardless of major (Actually I generally hire non-journalism majors...I prefer good writers who know something *about* something)
4) Interested in hands-on reporting and newswriting, particularly in covering the agencies and comings/goings in our Nation's Capitol. This is not a coffee-fetching/re-organize the files kind of internship. You *will* cover Congress, the Pentagon, the FAA and probably a handful of rubber-chicken lunches along the way.
5) Some actual (paid or unpaid) experience -- college paper, local paper, radio/TV, etc., with clips to prove it
6) Genuinely interested in all things aviation, military and civilian
7) Genuinely interested in real-world experience, training and feedback

Though we always like to see our interns come back, there's no guarantee there's a full-time job at the end of the summer; if you're looking for this to continue past August, this probably isn't for you. Likewise, I'm wide-open to hearing from recent college grads, but the same applies as above...this is a pretty short-term gig, and oriented more toward creating a learning experience.

Bureaucracy being what it is, you have to go to the Big Corporate Site to apply for the post http://www.mcgraw-hill.com/site/careers/college-students but if you PM me after you've applied I can alert the HR screeners to keep an eye out.

Remember, this is a paid position and it's open right now...it's been open nearly all of May and I'd like to get it filled.

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...