Squadron Flight Sergeant

Started by Danger, May 12, 2012, 05:11:38 PM

arajca

Think about what leadership means to you and how YOU define it, not the textbook definition.

If you know of any issues (real or perceived) that would be appropriate for the Flt Sgt to handle, come with how you'd handle it. Do not bring it up unless asked, then keep it general - no names.

Know your chain of command (at the time). Understand it will change.

DO NOT bad mouth anyone else - senior or cadet, past or present.

A common question is how well would you work if your supervisor was the opposite sex. Do you have any issues about it? (Don't answer here, have the answer ready if you are asked about it!)

Sgt. Papa

people on this website make my go grey.
honestly, WHO CARES?! ITS A WEBSITE, WITH KIDS THAT RANGE FROM 12 YEARS OLD TO HOWEVER OLD YOU ARE IN CAP, NOBODY CARES IF A SINGLE THING IS TYPED WRONG, my goddddd.

for instance, i could be typing like this:

OMG guyzz didd yew t0@tallyyy s33 thattt guyy at skewwlll todeyyy?

but no, i'm not. so please, chill. just get back to this flight sergeant business, or just delete the thread, i dont care, whatever gets you grammar freaks off my tail.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Sgt. Palmer on May 25, 2012, 11:13:27 PM
honestly, WHO CARES?! ITS A WEBSITE, WITH KIDS THAT RANGE FROM 12 YEARS OLD TO HOWEVER OLD YOU ARE IN CAP, NOBODY CARES IF A SINGLE THING IS TYPED WRONG, my goddddd.

but no, i'm not. so please, chill. just get back to this flight sergeant business, or just delete the thread, i dont care, whatever gets you grammar freaks off my tail.
No. You need to be 13+ or have parental approval.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

You haven't even tried to change your grammar. At least do capitalization!
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Cadet Palmer, the adolescents on this forum are not "kids", they are (presumably) Cadets, and the expectations of their
behavior and performance are, by design, higher then the average young person who isn't involved in a program like CAP.
Shouting on the mountain top that poor behavior is "OK" won't generally get a warm reception anywhere.

To EP, COPPA doesn't apply.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

It did. You brought it back to grammar. I suggest you reread the code of conduct that you agreed to abide by.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

caphornbuckle

Can we please get a facepalm smiley on here?
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: caphornbuckle on May 26, 2012, 01:17:40 AM

Can we please get a facepalm smiley on here?
Seems perfect.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Sgt. Papa

:clap:
congrats guys, congrats. *shakes head*

Danger

Tobit I filled in for a missing flight sergeant. It was incredible, being the flight sergeant. I havent been appointed , just to make everything clear. We had our change of command tonight, and at closing, our new commander forgot to call report, just called post as soon as he got up there (our first sergeant was absent also) . It was quite confusing. But thought I'd let you guys know, it was my first Flight Sergeant experience, and it was incredible, despite some "hiccups" in the closing ceremony.
"Never take anything too seriously."

Cap'n

Congratulations, Airman! It's always a great experience to act as flight sergeant, whether it's temporary or for a trimester position. By asking you to fill in, I think you can take it positively, and that your staff is already seeing you as capable! Stay in track for your promotions, practice your drill/pt, and start studying for that first milestone! You can never be too prepared- it seems like you're working hard now already. Keep up the good work, and good luck to you.

Struts

Quote from: Danger on May 30, 2012, 02:56:36 AM
Tobit I filled in for a missing flight sergeant. It was incredible, being the flight sergeant. I havent been appointed , just to make everything clear. We had our change of command tonight, and at closing, our new commander forgot to call report, just called post as soon as he got up there (our first sergeant was absent also) . It was quite confusing. But thought I'd let you guys know, it was my first Flight Sergeant experience, and it was incredible, despite some "hiccups" in the closing ceremony.
Congratulations! Over time the hiccups will disappear for the most part. Being a flight sergeant is an incredible experience.

manfredvonrichthofen

Over time, command gets easier. Try taking a public speaking class if your school has one. They help quite a bit when it comes to being comfortable infront of others.

krnlpanick

Absolutely agree on taking a public speaking class - however there are lots of things you can do if you don't have one available.

Assuming that you are now on Summer Vacation so here are a few additional ideas for you

- Check your community for workshops on Speech or Debate
- Ask friends (in or out of CAP) to "play" games where you can practice command, drill, etc. Allow your friends to practice leadership roles too.
- As silly as it sounds, doing an Open Mic night at a local club, karoake, and even poetry readings are a great way to practice speaking in front of people.

The important thing is to work on your projection, which is a big part of the command voice. Voice lessons of any type are a huge help.

I speak at 6-8 large information security conferences a year and had it not been for being the lead singer in a band for many years I would have never been as successful as I was. Projection and clarity are the most important aspects of any public speaking and public speaking is necessary for advancing into leadership positions (in most of life, not just in CAP)

I also have an ongoing game, any time I say uhm, or uhh I put a quarter in a jar on my desk.

Anyways, congrats and good luck!
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Struts

Quote from: krnlpanick on May 30, 2012, 06:49:20 PM
Assuming that you are now on Summer Vacation so here are a few additional ideas for you
I wish sir!

But public speaking classes are always helpful. If your wing has a NCOA then I would definitely recommend attending it. Lot of classes and knowledge, with a huge dose of hands on experience.   

bflynn

More generally, I've found public speaking much easier when you put your focus on delivering material to the audience.  When you do that, nervousness magically disappears because it isn't about you...it is when you're thinking about yourself and messing up that you get nervous.  When you think about delivery, you can do magical things...

Danger

Wh it come to that stuff I am very comfortable actually. There may been a miscommunication, the commander didn't call the right commands. I did everything correctly. And also, I'm hoping on going to the NCO School New Hampshire Wing has? By the time it starts I'll be AT LEAST staff sgt, and I'm pretty sure it's open to cadets from anywhere.

Danger

My board of review and SSE are now completed, and I'm waiting on the email to find out if I made it, I'll keep you posted! Thank you gentlemen!

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Cool Mace

EP, this is CAPTalk after all...

Danger, please keep us up to date on it!
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Struts

Quote from: Danger on June 20, 2012, 06:38:03 PM
My board of review and SSE are now completed, and I'm waiting on the email to find out if I made it, I'll keep you posted! Thank you gentlemen!
Please keep us posted and best of luck!