That dern three second rule

Started by Perez, March 13, 2012, 03:13:44 PM

Perez

Through Cadetstuff and CAPtalk, I've heard of a few instances where cadets were able to score 100+ on the cadence push-up portion of the CPFT. I was wondering if anyone has experience, firsthand or otherwise, as to how this is accomplished. I can usually get 60+ push-ups almost touching my chest to the ground, and about 45 on the CPFT. I train a lot at home, but I haven't seen much improvement in a while.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

coudano

The cadets i've seen scoring 100+ on CAP style push ups (and there have only been 1 or 2 that i've seen in person, over the years) were "professional athletes" one a gymnist and the other a hockey player.  They were in formal weight training and conditioning programs and diets, supervised by private professional coaches (not school district coaches).  They also had about 0.1% body fat.

Is it doable without all that?
Sure.
But that's how i've seen it actually get done.

I'd say:
1.  Train like you fight.  When you practice, practice in cadence push ups...
2.  Do more pushups than your goal (even if you have to break cadence get em all)
3.  Do your goal a few times a day, every other day.  Rest and recover on the off days.
4.  Eat a good, balanced diet
5.  Reduce your total body weight so you have less to push
6.  Temporarily and Locally only...   Change the gravitational constant, if you can manage it...

Then again I can't do 100+ so take the advice above for what it's worth...

manfredvonrichthofen

Really your body has to be all muscle, and guts. I have seen it done, and yes you do need to have the trainers, otherwise you aren't going to make it. I am glad to see that you want to go above and beyond, and there are things you can do to help...

I do this all the time; every commercial that come up on the tube, stop and do push ups just as you would for the test, down up 1 2 3 down up 1 2 3, and keep it up as long as you can. Every time you sit down to eat, do it for two minutes, whenever you walk into a room, just drop and do 10 push ups. You will see results by the next PT test so long as you really are doing the work, and are doing them properly.

Pylon

I'd recommend doing a pyramid-style workout similar to what Marines do to get to 20-pullups (max score on the MC PFT).   

This app can help you figure out a workable routine given your current ability levels, and slowly build you up to that 100 pushup level (as well as charting your progress).  http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hundred-pushups/id301174591?mt=8

Just remember that, yes, it's important to get a high score on the CPFT that shouldn't be the only goal for your personal fitness.  It's much more important to be overall physically fit and have endurance and strength than just to be able to crank out 100 pushups but do little else.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Silent Panther

My former First Sergeant ran Cross Country & Track and swam for our high school. This kid was in insane shape. He would do 60+ push-ups per CPFT on a bad day. He reached 103 once. His face was bright red, he was pouring sweat and he dropped from pure exhaustion. He also ran almost a flat 5 mile. I can only hope to get as fast as he was. I have yet to see another cadet that could get anywhere close to his normal par doing correct CAP style push-ups. He's now at the Coast Guard Academy.
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

Perez

Thanks for all the advice guys.
If I take as much time as I want in the front leaning rest position, I can eak out 100-110 good form push-ups, but I can't seem to get above 75 on a two minute test.
My biggest problem is over-training. My performance is always much lower when I alternate rest days, but in the past I've run into problems overtraining a lot, so I can never tell which one I'm doing. Prior to this, I was doing 400-500 push-ups a day, and doing another set of 60 or so timed to a minute before bed. I feel like I could start making progress again if I can break this plateu I've been on for a while.
I run 4-5 times a week, follow the Rescue Athlete workouts for weightlifting, and I bike and swim depending on the season.

GTCommando

Quote from: Perez on March 13, 2012, 04:45:31 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.
If I take as much time as I want in the front leaning rest position, I can eak out 100-110 good form push-ups, but I can't seem to get above 75 on a two minute test.

A mistake I made at one point in time, but there is no time limit on the push-up portion of the CPFT.
QuoteCadence. The push-ups are done to an audible cadence (clapping, drum, metronome, oral command,
etc.) with the cadet completing one (and only one) push-up every three seconds, and continuing
until they can do no more in rhythm
(having not done the last three in rhythm). The cadet may halt
when he or she reaches the required number of repetitions for their achievement.

You can go until you drop (out of rhythm). There is a 60 second limit for curl-ups, but no such limit for push-ups.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Perez

Just for clarification. My goal is to increase the amount I can do on my CPFT, and on a two minute test.  I'm attending PJOC, and the physical evaluation for is timed for two minutes. I can already pass well above the maximum, but I still want to improve.

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...