"Ask the National Commander" - eServices' new button

Started by ♠SARKID♠, December 28, 2011, 07:37:16 AM

♠SARKID♠

Has anyone else seen the new link on the eServices homepage?  They've given everyone a direct line to the CAP/CC's inbox (and, automatically, your wing and region CCs).  I have a very, very strong feeling that this is going to be a short lived deal.

It bypasses the entire concept of chain of command, its a redundancy to the knowledge-base, and gives (to use an IT analogy) top tier access to bottom tier tech support needs.  If an issue is important enough that it goes above wing or region level it isn't going to be small enough to go so unnoticed that the CC needs to have every Tom, Dick, and Harry pinging him about it.  That said, it was set up at Maj Gen Carr's request so more power to him - I just don't think it will be effective.

Here on CAPTalk we get our fair share of Cadet Snuffys asking the most basic of basic questions that should really be asked of their commanders.  I can imagine a lot of that is going to get channeled there as well.  That is, of course, assuming that you manage to get a cadet to log into eServices every once in a while (I sure as heck can't).

Thoughts?

coudano

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 28, 2011, 07:37:16 AM
Has anyone else seen the new link on the eServices homepage?  They've given everyone a direct line to the CAP/CC's inbox (and, automatically, your wing and region CCs).  I have a very, very strong feeling that this is going to be a short lived deal.

Probably just fishing for ideas for "commander's corner" articles or whatever.

QuoteThat is, of course, assuming that you manage to get a cadet to log into eServices every once in a while (I sure as heck can't).

well they have to test... :)

MSG Mac

It is a good thing that MG Carr wil hear about the concerns of the everyday member. True it may become bogged down with items that could and should be handled at the local level, but it does show he wants to hear from us. In addition, several times in these forums we hear legitimate concerns and ideas that are shut down without any feedback from higher HQ. Maybe this will eliminate this. When I was in Florida Wing, the FLWG/CC had this same policy and whenI had a concern that I had addressed to Group several times without response, I received immediate response when addressed to the Wing CC through his forum.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Duke Dillio

This kinda sounds like the ultimate "open door" policy.  My question is whether the subordinate commanders now have an "Insta-2B" button to toss the people who may abuse this....    >:D

JeffDG

Quote from: GoneAway on December 28, 2011, 07:42:03 PM
This kinda sounds like the ultimate "open door" policy.  My question is whether the subordinate commanders now have an "Insta-2B" button to toss the people who may abuse this....    >:D
It's built into the web-app. >:D

Hardshell Clam

A lot of corporations have systems whereby you can send suggestions to the board of directors and bypass your "chain of command".  As the CAP moves away from the "military side" and more into the "corporate" side of the coin, and IMHO, we will be seeing more of this sort of thing. I am not taking a side here (quazi-military vs corporate), just making an observation however I disagree with the suggestion being provided to your commander at the same time.

Persona non grata

I just asked him about geting a new van. No response as of yet. I will keep you posted.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

AngelWings

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 28, 2011, 07:37:16 AM

It bypasses the entire concept of chain of command, its a redundancy to the knowledge-base, and gives (to use an IT analogy) top tier access to bottom tier tech support needs.  If an issue is important enough that it goes above wing or region level it isn't going to be small enough to go so unnoticed that the CC needs to have every Tom, Dick, and Harry pinging him about it.  That said, it was set up at Maj Gen Carr's request so more power to him - I just don't think it will be effective.

Here on CAPTalk we get our fair share of Cadet Snuffys asking the most basic of basic questions that should really be asked of their commanders.  I can imagine a lot of that is going to get channeled there as well.  That is, of course, assuming that you manage to get a cadet to log into eServices every once in a while (I sure as heck can't).

Thoughts?
I hate to sound cold hearted but it could very well be a support thing. I've run into a few local politicans who did do similar things for support. I mean nothing by it, but I'm sure a man smart enough to make it to CAP/CC is going to immediately see the sheer impracticality of this. One of the politicans I talked to said it works well when trying to cover something negative but small enough to be distracted by something positive for a small time. I mean no harm by saying this, and if it is truely more than a support thing, than I respect that a lot.

lordmonar

I wonder why people are getting worked up about this.

When I was a commander I encouraged my cadets and SM to come to me if they felt they needed to.

My first question 90% of the time was "have you taken this up your chain of command?". 

Ask the commander is a cool tool.....if you have the time to weed out all the "when can I get promoted" and "is it okay to be late on Tuesday" questions to get to that 10% (or less) that the commander really needs to address.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2011, 08:53:18 PM
I wonder why people are getting worked up about this.

When I was a commander I encouraged my cadets and SM to come to me if they felt they needed to.

My first question 90% of the time was "have you taken this up your chain of command?". 

Ask the commander is a cool tool.....if you have the time to weed out all the "when can I get promoted" and "is it okay to be late on Tuesday" questions to get to that 10% (or less) that the commander really needs to address.
+1.

JK657

How many uniform questions do you think he's gotten so far?

RiverAux

While I am all for such ideas, I'm not sure that "Ask the National Commander" is the best way of marketing this method of communication.  It does give the impression that hes ready to answer any question about anything.  Something that implies that it is to be used for suggesting changes to CAP policies or regulations may be more in the spirit of what he was going for. 

Ed Bos

EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on December 28, 2011, 10:03:18 PM
While I am all for such ideas, I'm not sure that "Ask the National Commander" is the best way of marketing this method of communication.  It does give the impression that hes ready to answer any question about anything.  Something that implies that it is to be used for suggesting changes to CAP policies or regulations may be more in the spirit of what he was going for.
What might be nicer would be a "Ask the commander" tool, with tracking to see where your question/comment/suggestion is within the CoC, so if it's stuck with Group, you can see that.

I have no problem with a commander rejecting an idea, but just sitting on it and doing nothing is not acceptable...so you could see when it hit each echelon's inbox and try and dislodge something that's just stuck.

RiverAux

Actually, what I'd rather see is a similar sort of information collection tool in the section for draft regulations that would let folks comment on them directly to national staff. 

And perhaps a similar button on the page with the regulations to report possible mistakes in existing regulations. 

MSG Mac

Quote from: RiverAux on December 28, 2011, 10:29:44 PM
Actually, what I'd rather see is a similar sort of information collection tool in the section for draft regulations that would let folks comment on them directly to national staff. 

And perhaps a similar button on the page with the regulations to report possible mistakes in existing regulations.

The draft regulations are posted for comment and there is a button to make those comments. Also I have reported errata to National HQ and always gotten a response on AE and Leadership tests.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RiverAux

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 28, 2011, 11:35:08 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 28, 2011, 10:29:44 PM

The draft regulations are posted for comment and there is a button to make those comments.
Actually, there is an email address, but it says that comments should be directed to that address through your chain of command.  So, you're not supposed to be commenting on them directly. 

Ned

Quote from: JK657 on December 28, 2011, 09:17:10 PM
How many uniform questions do you think he's gotten so far?

I know that at least 4 folks have asked about ABUs.

SARDOC

titanII

I agree that this seems to be encouraging "jumping" the Chain of Command.
It will be interesting to see what this is used for, who uses it, and how long it stays around. Time will tell...
No longer active on CAP talk