What can I do in CAP Comms?

Started by MilesDyson, August 29, 2011, 12:06:54 AM

MilesDyson

Hey everyone! I hear an ELT but I'm not looking for it! Someone may be in trouble but I'm not doing anything!

Mark_Wheeler

Why don't you just make a couple of calls up your chain of command and go from there?

Mark

davidsinn

Quote from: MilesDyson on August 29, 2011, 04:19:31 PM
Hey everyone! I hear an ELT but I'm not looking for it! Someone may be in trouble but I'm not doing anything!

Then you're an idiot. You've already been told that you should contact ATC and let them handle it. If you want to be a cowboy on your own time and dime in your own aircraft, fine. But when you joined CAP and signed out the aircraft you agreed to follow the rules. If you can't do that then find a new way to spend your time.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: MilesDyson on August 29, 2011, 01:36:44 PM
So I am arrogant person who does not understand anything about CAP and who should not even be a pilot in CAP.

Based soley on what you have been posting and asking?  Sounds about right.

"That Others May Zoom"

Larry Mangum

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Honestly, pick one. 

There's no way anyone in CAP with 5 years in and professing to be a pilot and a communicator could be that uninformed or misinformed about our operations.  He is / was pretending to ask day-1 questions that are covered in GES.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

I don't suppose the mods could just scrub this entire topic.  Perfectly innocent people could google their way in here looking to get involved in CAP commo, and based in this thread, decide we're a bunch of idots and run, not walk, away.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

a2capt

The same could be said for about half of what is on the internet, too.

Buzz

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2011, 08:41:37 PM
Honestly, pick one. 

There's no way anyone in CAP with 5 years in and professing to be a pilot and a communicator could be that uninformed or misinformed about our operations.  He is / was pretending to ask day-1 questions that covered in GES.

Maybe Wal-Mart has a new computer game: "SAR Hero" . . ?

ol'fido

"I want to be a Rescue Ranger, I want to live a life of danger....." ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BillB

Looks like Dyson was given incorrect information., Big deal made of corporate radios and very little mention made of NITA compliant personal radios. How many have bought NITA compliant Motorola hand helds to replace the old Vertex-150's? Most ham radios doi not meet the compliant requirements, but many hams have commercial radios that do. But people in this thread talked only of corporate issued radios, wheras many members have purchased NITA compliant radios for CAP use.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

a2capt

"Dyson" ... LOL - tit for tat. Whoever that is came in giving false information, too.

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on August 30, 2011, 12:16:23 AM
Looks like Dyson was given incorrect information., Big deal made of corporate radios and very little mention made of NITA compliant personal radios. How many have bought NITA compliant Motorola hand helds to replace the old Vertex-150's? Most ham radios doi not meet the compliant requirements, but many hams have commercial radios that do. But people in this thread talked only of corporate issued radios, wheras many members have purchased NITA compliant radios for CAP use.

There were at lease two people that pointed out issued radios vs. compliant radios, myself and wuzzafuzz.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gordon F Johnson

Using moderator privileges to ban someone from a forum is a cowardly way to win an argument.

davidsinn

Quote from: Gordon F Johnson on August 30, 2011, 07:20:34 PM
Using moderator privileges to ban someone from a forum is a cowardly way to win an argument.

Not a single person with those privileges posted in this topic...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

N Harmon

Another thing a person who is well-versed in radio can do in CAP Comms?

Teach people how to talk on radios.

You don't even need a CAP radio to do it. You can do it with cheap FRS handhelds. Teach them how to initiate and end conversations, how to send and receive map coordinates, how to pass traffic, how to check in and out of nets. The list goes on.

The point is that there is a TON of stuff that a person can do in CAP Comms that does not involve the Civil Air Patrol giving him/her a new toy^H^H^Hradio to take home to their shack.

I am a licensed amateur radio operator. But I have got to tell you that a lot of the skills that make a successful CAP Communications Officer are not on the FCC exams.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron