Hurricane Irene

Started by Smoothice, August 24, 2011, 08:25:53 PM

Smoothice

It's getting pretty busy around here in the North East! Lot's of emails floating around...real official looking stuff!

It's not supposed to be up here until probably Sunday night.

This is my first time in 2 years of CAP that I have actually been "on alert".

I wonder what we will be tasked to do (if anything)

All I know is, tonight I am going through my 24-hour pack!

Not something to be taken lightly, but it's kind of excting!

Oh yeah...what does "ROCON" mean? As in ROCON operations....

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: Smoothice on August 24, 2011, 08:25:53 PM
All I know is, tonight I am going through my 24-hour pack!
I'd suggest your 72-hr pack as well. 

Don't forget to strap down your house.  We that live in Oz already have enough houses   ;D ;D

Майор Хаткевич

What was the context that ROCON was used in?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Well typically wings on the coast will be evacuating their aircraft to more inland facilities.  Our wing is the direct air support for the state Emergency Management Agency, so will be in the command & control bunker starting on Thursday.  I'd assume that we will put initiate an alert and typical radio confidence checks will be conducted, etc.

Hopefully the entire storm will go out to sea and everyone will be wrong, but right now even southern New England will be affected.
RM

RRLE

Hurricane Irene is starting to look a lot like the Long Island Express aka Great Hurricane of 1938, aka New England Hurricane of 1938 etc.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

A friend in the area was comparing the projected path to Donna in '60. They seem to be similar, with Irene hanging more off the coast around North Florida.

Irene:

Donna:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capination

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 24, 2011, 10:05:41 PM
Well typically wings on the coast will be evacuating their aircraft to more inland facilities.  Our wing is the direct air support for the state Emergency Management Agency, so will be in the command & control bunker starting on Thursday.  I'd assume that we will put initiate an alert and typical radio confidence checks will be conducted, etc.

Hopefully the entire storm will go out to sea and everyone will be wrong, but right now even southern New England will be affected.
RM

The storm became a hurricane right over Puerto Rico at 5AM Monday morning. Though we were lucky enough to suffer only Cat I winds. It rained cat and dogs; 15 inches of water in 72 hours. Power and water was knocked down pretty much in the whole island for two days but we are back in business again. As for CAP involvement in DR efforts we are operating from the State EMA headquarters coordinating photo flights of major highways, airports, ports and dams. Ground teams helped with setting up shelters and assisting EMA personnel on land slides sites and flooding recovery.

Hang on and God bless you all in the East Coast.

ShaggyMuffins

Seemsike a good first post for me. Hm. This hurricane has my squadron at a frenzy. I'm smack dab in the middle of NYC. Were on full alert according ti National and Wing. This is looking to be a DR op. Sounds fun. I'll keep you guys posted.

C/A1C Rodriguez J
When in doubt, C4 ;D

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ShaggyMuffins on August 25, 2011, 02:35:45 AM
I'll keep you guys posted.

Until you lose power.

;D

DakRadz

I felt the earthquake while working at Kings Island (amusement park in SW Ohio)- I was on a ride and felt it start shuddering/vibrating, and remember thinking, "It shouldn't be doing that... Oh well WHEEEEEEE!"

Anyway.

Since I did live through that, all that remains to be seen is where I shall end up when Irene strikes  :o

sarmed1

I dont know what ROCON is; RECON on the other hand is a FLWG specific mission directly for FL EMA specifically post impact infrastructure damage assessment.  Perhaps some other wings have taken up similar missions in their respective states.

Based on my FLWG time, the biggest factor here is landfall point and then continued travel path..ie over water may still have hurricaine like strength=busy operations vs travel overland, then its just lots of rain and flood type stuff.

We had a few in FL when I was there that where at Hurricaine strength, dropped to tropical storm strength once they landed, then picked back up to hurricaine speed once back over the gulf then hit the panhandle again at hurricain force.

should be interesting to see how this plays out

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Eclipse

Quote from: DakRadz on August 25, 2011, 03:03:34 AM
I felt the earthquake while working at Kings Island (amusement park in SW Ohio)- I was on a ride and felt it start shuddering/vibrating, and remember thinking, "It shouldn't be doing that... Oh well WHEEEEEEE!"

Anyway.

Since I did live through that, all that remains to be seen is where I shall end up when Irene strikes  :o

One thing that struck me about the quake is how important overall preparedness is, vs. getting ready for any one specific "thing".

That, and the fact that we need to stop working as if individual events are start and end points for response.   CAP members get so used to being
able to schedule everything around their lives, they forget that a disaster can happen while they are on the way home from the SAREx, whether they
are tired and out of resources or not.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

<_<

Last time I post from a cellphone...

BTCS1*

Too bad we aren't gonna see any action cause the NYPD and FDNY are so good at what they do.

Quote from: ShaggyMuffins on August 25, 2011, 02:35:45 AM
Seemsike a good first post for me. Hm. This hurricane has my squadron at a frenzy. I'm smack dab in the middle of NYC. Were on full alert according ti National and Wing. This is looking to be a DR op. Sounds fun. I'll keep you guys posted.

C/A1C Rodriguez J
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Capination

Keep your eyes on NHC weather briefs every three hours and monitor Satellite and Radar in between. Here are some great links for your assignment:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109.html    (wundermap and the interactive flash tracker are great!)

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t2/flash-rb.html  (best satellite image loop)

Smoothice

The ROCON reference was in an email I saw that was forwarded to our unit through the National Guard....said something like...   CAP: On standby for ROCON operations...

Something like that.

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on August 25, 2011, 03:30:50 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 25, 2011, 02:59:49 AMUntil you loose power.
;D
Why not tight power?   >:D
Okay, ... at least now I was forced to clean off the monitors.
Coca-Cola makes it kinda hard to see..