Vanguard Pricing Very High?

Started by RADIOMAN015, June 25, 2011, 07:05:18 PM

Zen Master Charlie

***BUZZ***

No, you haven't. Go back and review. Thanks for playing.
[/quote]

Haha, do you feel special with your big red buzzy thing... good, Im happy.  :clap:

Yes I have read the Constitution, from the preamble to the articles and the amendments, over and over and over. But what you have to understand about it, which I do, do you? Is that the constitution is open to interpritation by anyone, much like manuals and regs. This is why we have SCJ's. Their job is interpriting. I interprit it one way, you interprit it another. Lets call that fair eh.
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

a2capt

Ummm... gee, maybe because you were not the only one ordering drill team stuff just before NCC and maybe they actually did run out. Sure, a good supplier would keep up with what the organization is doing and note the trends with the activities .. but with drill teams consisting of a lot of cadet officers, too, I would not be surprised at all if they sold quite a bit of ribbons in the weeks leading up to it as those teams that won their regions now had to concentrate on the last competition.

FWIW, I decided I might as well complete a proper ribbon rack, and I ordered stuff on Friday with FedEx selected, and a phone call follow up afterwards, and they got it out to me. The only problem I had was .. instead of a Find ribbon, I had a Doolittle. Luckily I scored a Find from a cadet that was redoing their rack..

Vanguard has corrected the pricing issues on a lot of stuff, and it's pretty much on par with what the active duty stuff is.

arajca

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 07:05:31 AM
You dont see the U.S. Military shutting down Vangard for being a subcontractor do you? Ofcourse not, because that would be against the constitution... I personally believe, that even though CAP awarded Vangard the contract, it was unconstitutional for them to shut down an independant company.
CAP did not shut down anyone. They merely exercised their rights to control who sells their unique items, as provided for in federal law. The fact that the The Hock Shop did not have any other merchandise and could not remain in business without selling the CAP stuff is not CAP's responsibility.

If the military found that Vanguard or some other contractor or subcontractor was violating the terms of the contract, they can rescind the authorization for them to provide supplies. This may result in said contractor going out of business, but it would be the contractor's own fault.

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:05:10 PM
@Eclipse, Btw, let me know when the abbriviated version of that novel you just wrote comes out, I'd love to read it sometime...

Outstanding attitude.  It should serve you well.  I apologize if the facts and background on this situation which you
feel so adamant about are too verbose for your attention.  The facts of this situation contradict your opinion, so you might want
to take the time, if only so you actually understand the argument in which you are participating.

The big-boy pool does not always accept "because I said so..."

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:29:36 PM
Yes I have read the Constitution, from the preamble to the articles and the amendments, over and over and over.
Then you would know there is nothing in the constitution which applies to corporate monopolies, or are ignoring the fact that
things like copyright licensing are also applicable as the Constitution is the basis of our government, but not the only document
which constitutes laws.

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:29:36 PM
Is that the constitution is open to interpritation by anyone, much like manuals and regs. This is why we have SCJ's. Their job is interpriting. I interprit it one way, you interprit it another. Lets call that fair eh.

It is also open to interpretation, which is, however, unnecessary, unless you would care to cite the article or amendment that you feel you would interpret...

Also "@EClipse?"...this isn't Twitter.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2011, 07:43:52 PMOutstanding attitude.  It should serve you well.
..and almost nothing has changed, yet another come into the forum like a bull in a china closet .. "twice". Look back at the post history, with a period of "I'm leaving this place" in between.

jeders

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 06:03:04 PM

Then tell me why when we went to order items for my Drill Team last month, more than half of the items were on back order, and shipping took 3 weeks? hmmmm... atleast The Hawk always got it to you within one week!

I defended the Hawk just as much, if not more, than anyone. But this just isn't true. Sometimes suppliers run out, it's your fault, quite frankly, for not planning far enough ahead. I remember when I was promoting to C/2d Lt, and I ordered everything I needed from CAPMart. I got everything except my hard shoulder boards. So I went to the Hawk, they were back ordered too. Why, because they got some things like that from CAPMart.

A month later I got 2 new sets of shoulder boards from CAPMart, and two weeks later I got 2 new sets from the Hawk.

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Gents, the name of the vendor was the Hock, not the Hawk, thus my comments about stuff bought from there being "optional".

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 07:05:31 AMYes, we are all volunteers, but my question is, why does a monopoly have to be at the top of supply. Even the Air Force has subcontractors. They have one large company that got the contract and their stuff isnt that great, so they issue it, but soldiers have the option of purchasing better equipment from other companies at their own cost. Vangard for instance, is a subcontractor for military equipment. Vangard is to the U.S. Military, as The Hawk Shop was to CAP. So why does CAP have to have one loan uniform provider? Especially if CAP can't even keep up with supplying our new cadets with what they need. My family (My mom and I) have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on CAP equipment for cadets and a large factor in that is buying expensive blues uniforms from Vanguard, that nationals forgets to mail to new cadets. My point is, we paid a butt load of money to get stuff from the Hawk, why do we need to pay a butt load ontop of a buttload to get the same stuff from a Monopoly. You dont see the U.S. Military shutting down Vangard for being a subcontractor do you? Ofcourse not, because that would be against the constitution... I personally believe, that even though CAP awarded Vangard the contract, it was unconstitutional for them to shut down an independant company.
Uh.....no.

military personnel must buy and wear insignia that meets certain quality criteria.  They are free to go to any retailer.....but that retailer must supply stuff that has been vetted by the military and issued a certificate of acceptablity.

First off......other then the Hock Shop.....Vanguard has always been our supplier of CAP insigina.  Back when it was the Book Store....we bought from Vanguard and then resold it to the members......and lost thousands of dollars in the process. 

Now let's be very clear here.  CAP made a contract with Vanguard to be our supplier.  NHQ wants our insignia to be of high quality and consitant quality.  They could insist that members only wear certified items (like the air force does) but then that means we have to spend money on setting up said certification process.....not cheap.  So they gave Vanguard sole rights to produce CAP specific items.  This SAVES us money in the long run....and makes sure we don't have anyone running around with badges and insignia that look like crud because they are made my Mr. Lee and his fly by night insignia shop.

Now...for the generic USAF items (like blues) you can go to AAFES, your surplus store or Vanguard to get these items.  Vanguard does not have a sole sorce contract for these items.

The only thing that is sole sorce is specific CAP items only.

Now I liked a lot of what the Hock Shop sold and I liked the idea of a small time operation run by one of our own....but let's be honest....a lot of what they sold was of lesser quality then Vanguard......some of it was better....but not all.  And we made the deal with Vanguard because it made the best sense at the time.

I don't really see a large competition for CAP related items.....I mean there were only one or two places who produced CAP items before the C&D orders when out.

I see the frustration some people have....thinking that they have no choice....but I don't think you understand the reality of the market.  CAP is just too small of a market for multiple sellers to actually have a major impact on prices.   (assuming that quality stays the same).  But you will get 2-3 non U.S. suppliers who will whip up a bunch of cheap GT badges for you at $.20 a pop.....and will look like it.  Is that where you really want to take our uniforms?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

..and on those $.20 badges, if they happen to look hack, at least Vanguard will listen and even do something about it. The answer from the Hock was .. "it is what it is".

saleet

I have read the discussion about Vanguard versus Hock Shop with interest.  I joined CAP in 1960, my first blue uniform and insignia was purchased from Gordon's, a private business operated outside of Fort Meade, MD.  Gordon's even had a plentiful supply of WWII CAP insignia in stock.  My fist C.A.P.C. cutouts were from there and made of Sterling Silver, which had to be polished each week before my meeting.  You could also buy through the mail from S. Mitchell, NY, Brigade Quartermasters, Pennsylvania Military Supply, and GENESCO, just to name a few.  The quality was the same and prices competitive.  I remember all Wing patches across the board were .25 cents.

Maybe the Good Old Days weren't so bad.

Phil