Changes to GT Gear List

Started by GTCommando, June 09, 2011, 03:04:09 AM

titanII

With a flashlight/headlamp, a red lense/filter is very useful, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary. Plus they often make the light less powerful. So useful? yes. Mandatory? I don't think it should be.
No longer active on CAP talk

Major Lord

1) Cash
2) Credit Card
3) Automobile Club (AAA) or similar)
4) Actual food ( Not MRE's)

Headlights? Matches? Axes? Have you guys actual been on an actual mission?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

NM SAR

for Maj. Lord; axes and matches, okay, we probably never use. but I haven't been on a search YET that I didn't need my headlamp.

Eclipse

White lights destroy your night vision, especially when blasted directly in the face buy an overly enthusiastic cadet with
his dad's new $150 Nichia-chipped "piece of the sun".

There is a time and place for white, and a time for color, which is why most flashlights these days have multi-colors.

In some search scenarios, pseudo-stealth may be an advantage, as in the case where someone is actually hiding from
the searchers, in which case mega-lights may scare them more or give away where the searchers are.

In camp, colored lights are usually the most comfortable for everyone involved.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Quote from: Eclipse on June 10, 2011, 06:01:11 PMsnip...
In camp, colored lights are usually the most comfortable for everyone involved.

And if you have enough, you can even have your own combat disco!  ;D >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

thatonekid

Condoms? In case you get bored? Or do I need to be more creative?
C/MSgt Collins

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: thatonekid on June 10, 2011, 07:14:20 PM

I hope it was a joke. But either way, it comes of...strange.

titanII

I watched an episode of Dual Survival ( a survival tv series) where the two guys were given, among other things, a few condoms. I thInk they used them to hold water

ol'fido

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 10, 2011, 08:14:03 PM

I hope it was a joke. But either way, it comes of...strange.
Trojan UNLUBRICATED condoms are often included in survival kit lists for use as a water carrier. I have never found the need to use one for this purpose. ::) But if you find a fresh water source and have no other way to carry it, condoms are probably better than trying to use your pocket. ;D On the other hand, even in the most remote areas of the country you will more than likely find one or more discarded plastic water or soda bottles that can be used to carry and store water. If you are careful, you can even sterilize the water by boiling it in the bottle.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ElectricPenguin

OR, for 'survival purposes', you could 'use' them to keep youself from getting depressed.  ;D

cap235629

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on June 10, 2011, 10:04:50 PM
OR, for 'survival purposes', you could 'use' them to keep youself from getting depressed.  ;D

ok let's get serious again....

locker room humor is not necessary
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ElectricPenguin

For the winter, hand warmers should be used...

titanII

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on June 11, 2011, 12:22:51 AM
For the winter, hand warmers should be used...
Uhhhh isn't that what gloves are for?
Just Kidding  ;D
Good catch. One pair of waterproof gloves/mittens to wear, one or more for when the first get wet, and hand warmers.Those awesome little packets have saved my fingers many a time.

LTC Don

Quote from: cap235629 on June 09, 2011, 03:23:27 AM
adopt the NASAR standard and not try to reinvent the wheel

xeleventybillion.

/thread
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

lordmonar

Quote from: LTC Don on June 11, 2011, 10:59:44 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on June 09, 2011, 03:23:27 AM
adopt the NASAR standard and not try to reinvent the wheel

xeleventybillion.

/thread

Yes....but what are the NASAR standards?  Anyone posted them?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Lord

NASAR has too many standards to reflect in one brief chat room post;

http://www.nasar.org/page/21/Course-and-Exam-Schedule

Frankly, without adopting NASAR standards, we will always be the black sheep in the SAR game; Most of them know enough about CAP to know that our training tends to be ........variable......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

lordmonar

Well......NASAR is in the Standards Buisness.

But my point is that NASAR probably does not have a "Ground Team Packing List Standard" the way CAP GT does.
I'm sure it has a helpfuly list of thing you should bring to the field.....but not a "you will have 2 2X2 guauze bandages.....if you only have 1 or ithe they are 3X3 you fail" sort of standard.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NC Hokie

Here's a NASAR equipment list from 2004... The urban SAR pack on the second page looks like it might work for UDF teams.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Thom

The current NASAR study materials for SARTECH II, the book 'Fundamentals of Search and Rescue', has a similar listing of minimum personal equipment, recommended equipment, and an urban-only reduced loadout.

NASAR takes it very seriously that these are minimum specs, and you need to have all of these things. You can carry more if you like, but you must carry this stuff.

Thom

MCRmy

for first aid kit: instant ice pack
"I am not a ma'am!!!!"- MAWG 2007 Encampment