New CAP-USAF Commander? / Members Expectations?

Started by RADIOMAN015, June 08, 2011, 10:07:26 PM

RADIOMAN015

I've noted that Colonel Ward is leaving in June for a new assignment.  Does anyone know if Col Paul Golyd (now the Vic Commander) will be appointed as the new commander ???

So what do you think Colonel Ward did for us at CAP during his tenure ???

What would your expectations of what CAP-USAF should do for the volunteer members in the organization and the organization as a whole ???

Anyone know what percentage of active duty personnel assigned to CAP-USAF retire after their tour ???

RM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I don't think that too many outside of Maxwell, Regions and Wings know too much about the function of CC/CAP-USAF, both in CAP or the Air Force.

That is another symptom of the "benign ignorance" from the Air Force with regard to CAP.

I have no idea who the next CC/CAP-USAF will be.  I imagine Colonel Ward will be able to recommend his successor, but in the end I think the actual appointment is down to CC/AETC.

If I were to get started on what I believe CAP-USAF should do for CAP...that would open a can of worms punctuated by "ain't happenin'."

However, I will say one thing: mandatory briefing on CAP for BMT and OTS.  It would take no more than a couple of evenings of dayroom briefings by MTI's (some of whom may actually be former CAP cadets), at most.  It is inexcusable that so much of the AF does not know who we are.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Ned

Col Ward is leaving for a fairly high-speed assignment overseas in a command slot.  He is a fantastic officer and will be missed at CAP-USAF. 

The USAF has a competative process for O6 commands and has appointed Col Ward's successor through their normal process.  I was briefed on the officer's name and current assignment, but I cannot recall it at this moment.  (Getting old, I guess.)

Back when CAP-USAF was a general officer command, most (but not all) commanding generals retired at the end of their tours with CAP.

Every military officer has a "last billet" before retiring, and since so many of the CAP-USAF officers are relatively senior (O5 & O6), it is not particularly surprising that a significant percentage of them retire after their CAP service.

Ned Lee
Retired Military Guy

DC

Quote from: CyBorg on June 08, 2011, 10:23:43 PM
I don't think that too many outside of Maxwell, Regions and Wings know too much about the function of CC/CAP-USAF, both in CAP or the Air Force.

That is another symptom of the "benign ignorance" from the Air Force with regard to CAP.

I have no idea who the next CC/CAP-USAF will be.  I imagine Colonel Ward will be able to recommend his successor, but in the end I think the actual appointment is down to CC/AETC.

If I were to get started on what I believe CAP-USAF should do for CAP...that would open a can of worms punctuated by "ain't happenin'."

However, I will say one thing: mandatory briefing on CAP for BMT and OTS.  It would take no more than a couple of evenings of dayroom briefings by MTI's (some of whom may actually be former CAP cadets), at most.  It is inexcusable that so much of the AF does not know who we are.
OTS is 6/10 of a mile from the NHQ building (I checked  :D ) at Maxwell. I don't see why someone actually involved with CAP couldn't give a briefing to those guys. An hour or two to describe CAP's missions and capabilities, and how they relate to the Air Force and them as officers. I'm astonished this isn't done already.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DC on June 08, 2011, 10:32:16 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on June 08, 2011, 10:23:43 PM

OTS is 6/10 of a mile from the NHQ building (I checked  :D ) at Maxwell. I don't see why someone actually involved with CAP couldn't give a briefing to those guys. An hour or two to describe CAP's missions and capabilities, and how they relate to the Air Force and them as officers. I'm astonished this isn't done already.

They barely get an hour or two of hand-to-hand combat training.  An hour or two of CAP briefing would probably be met as a "our schedule's pretty full" thing.  In all seriousness, CAP's capabilities are a little lower on the totem pole than how to keep yourself alive in combat.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

The USAF teaches hand to hand combat?  ???

On the E-side of things....it would be easy to have the USAF to add the information about CAP to the PFE guide (they changed the name since I was in....it is the promotion study guide).  There is a section that explains all the MAJCOMs, how the Guard and Reserves fit in to the USAF....simply add a page or two about CAP.  Explain who we are, what we look like...and a link to how to join.   :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AirDX

I wouldn't mind knowing how we fit in to the USAF myself.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

NCRblues

Quote from: lordmonar on June 08, 2011, 11:19:26 PM

On the E-side of things....it would be easy to have the USAF to add the information about CAP to the PFE guide (they changed the name since I was in....it is the promotion study guide).  There is a section that explains all the MAJCOMs, how the Guard and Reserves fit in to the USAF....simply add a page or two about CAP.  Explain who we are, what we look like...and a link to how to join.   :D

Yes they do teach hand to hand.... every pilot, aircraft crew member, airborne linguist ext. ext. must go through SER school. SER instructors are considered special forces and are top of the line hand to hand combat instructors.

AF PJOC's, combat controllers, security forces, just to name some, all must have hand to hand instruction.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AirDX on June 09, 2011, 12:09:09 AM

Read AFI 10-2701, Organisation And Function Of The Civil Air Patrol

You can get it from NHQ's web site, and it really is a rather quick read.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/AFI_102701.pdf
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Lord of the North

The next CAP-USAF/CC will be Colonel George H. Ross III, the current 14th Flying Training Wing Vice Commander, Columbus AFB Mississippi.

PHall

Quote from: NCRblues on June 09, 2011, 02:00:20 AM

Yes they do teach hand to hand.... every pilot, aircraft crew member, airborne linguist ext. ext. must go through SER school. SER instructors are considered special forces and are top of the line hand to hand combat instructors.

AF PJOC's, combat controllers, security forces, just to name some, all must have hand to hand instruction.

That would be SERE not SER. SER is South East Region of CAP. SERE is Survival, Escape, Resistance and Evasion.
Oh, and I made my visit to Fairchild and the 3636 CCTW back in 1978 when ex Vietnam POW's were Commanding the Wing and took great interest in the training.

jimmydeanno

Every officer that goes through Field Training and ASBC gets "combatives training," which is essentially wrestling to kill.  I'd consider it to be hand-to-hand combat...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

abdsp51

Unfortunately as dicked as it may sound BMT has far more important things to teach than who CAP is and what they do.  It has expanded over the past couple of years to 8 weeks now instead of 6 and the bulk of that is Expeditionary training.  I returned from the NCO Academy at the end of May, and there was no mention.  And the main focus for the AF is GWOT and projection of airpower.  And recalling how busy I was when I went through basic there was no time then for something like this nor now.  If you want to put info out about CAP try FTAC on the bases nearby and or ALS. 

lordmonar

SER is not basic and/or OCS as the OP posted.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NCRblues

Quote from: lordmonar on June 09, 2011, 02:56:10 AM

SER is not basic and/or OCS as the OP posted.

Ah, missed the "basic" part of it.... no, i didn't get any hand to hand in AF basic... could have changed since then but i doubt it
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

JC004

If you would add such a thing, I would think that you'd simply add it when discussing how the Reserve, Air National Guard fit in...how the Air Force is organized.  I would think that you could give a good basic understanding of what CAP is and what that means to a new Air Force person (CAP-RAP opportunities down the road, encountering CAP people, what the basic missions are, etc.) in FAR less than an hour or two.  They don't need to know two hours' worth of material like the whole structure, how each mission works, or even the complete details of how to do CAP-RAP or something. 

abdsp51

Guys the guard and the reserves are mentioned due to the total force concept.  They deploy and fit in the big picture of projecting airpower globally.  It also coincides witht the NSS and Joint Force Planning concepts and the PDG is used for promoting and I dont see the people who head up the WAPS testing putting you guys into the test base.  Your best outlet would be FTAC and ALS if you want to brief the AF on it. 

AirDX

Quote from: CyBorg on June 09, 2011, 02:01:49 AM
Quote from: AirDX on June 09, 2011, 12:09:09 AM

Read AFI 10-2701, Organisation And Function Of The Civil Air Patrol

You can get it from NHQ's web site, and it really is a rather quick read.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/AFI_102701.pdf

I am fully cognizant of that document.  I was speaking somewhat rhetorically, in the current era of confusion, aux on/aux off, declining missions, and the general lack of enthusiasm for CAP out in the USAF. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Al Sayre

Quote from: Lord of the North on June 09, 2011, 02:19:58 AM
The next CAP-USAF/CC will be Colonel George H. Ross III, the current 14th Flying Training Wing Vice Commander, Columbus AFB Mississippi.

Col Ross is a good guy, we have had a very positive relationship with him while he was at Columbus AFB.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RickFranz

Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1