Water Survival Training

Started by Smithsonia, January 29, 2011, 06:42:00 PM

Smithsonia

Has anyone organized this training? If so, did you piggy back with the military? Other than that and without having the equipment required how did you devise the Egress Dunking Unit? Where do you get the PFDs? The rubber raft? All good ideas are appreciated.

WATER SURVIVAL

There is a working group working to develop nationally standardized curriculum for the Water Survival emergency services specialty qualfication listed in CAPR 60-3.  Most coastal wings already had some baseline training, but there has been considerable variation in the requirements.  We expect there to be a classroom training in a ground school format as well as a swim test.  Until more formal requirements are published on an SQTR, wings should ensure their personnel are provided training as outlined below in order to be sure they are qualified properly:

Water Survival Classroom Training/Ground School
The minimum classroom instruction for the NHQ approved aircrew water survival course shall consist of:
·       Participants will review the Overwater Operations portion of the NHQ produced video titled " Civil Air Patrol Mountain & Overwater Operations". Every wing should have received a copy of this video, but if it is damaged or needs to othewise be replaced please contact HQ CAP/DOV.
·       A practical demonstration of the use and testing procedures (to verify validity and proper operation) of the BRAVO type personal flotation device (PFD) used in CAP Overwater operations.
·       A discussion on the use of the various emergency-signaling devices available for use in CAP Overwater operations including rescue streamers, types of pyrotechnic flares, etc.
·       Demonstration of the procedures used to orientate all flight crewmembers on the location of aircraft EMERGENCY exits for each crew position, regardless of visibility or aircraft position (underwater, dark, inverted aircraft).
·       Any other demonstration or discussion of emergency procedures as the course instructor determines are required based on local conditions, including the technique to turn over a raft that lies inverted in the water.

Swim Test
The swim test requirements for all CAP flight crews engaged in CAP Overwater operations shall consist of the following minimum requirements:
·       All swim tests shall be conducted wearing a military flight coverall uniform or the equivalent clothing, and a pair of soft soled shoes (Athletic shoes recommended). A bathing suit or shorts and T-shirt are not approved clothing as personnel need to learn that the PFDs work and demonstrate they can get into the raft wearing basically what they would be wearing when they are flying.
·       Crewmembers will don and orally inflate the PFD to the maximum inflation level. Crewmembers will assist each other to insure proper wearing and adjustment of the PFD. The instructor will verify that the PFD is properly worn and inflated.
·       Crewmembers shall enter the swimming pool by jumping into the deep end from the pool wall and verify that the inflated PFD properly brings the crewmember to the water surface with the swimmers head above water.   Life guards and/or safety swimmers must be available.
·       Each swim test cycle can consist of up to 3 members. Crew members shall swim a minimum of 200 yds and at the conclusion of the swim must successfully be able to show proper technique to board an inflated life raft in the deep end of the pool. Note: a standard Olympic size pool is 50 meters in length. The raft shall be inverted and stationed in the deep end of the pool. The crew must demonstrate the proper technique to turn over an inverted raft and then board the raft. Crewmembers may find it easier to partially deflate the PFD while conducting the swim and raft-boarding test. There is no time limit on completing this test providing that the crew members does not rest by hanging on to the pool side walls or any other object in the pool. Crewmembers may hang on to the straps along the side of the raft while waiting their turn to board the raft. Crewmembers may assist each other aboard the raft at the discretion of the course instructor.
·       At the conclusion of each swim cycle the raft shall be inverted for the next test cycle.

The course instructor shall record the names, CAP unit and CAP member number for all crewmembers who satisfactory complete the course including the swim and raft-boarding demo, and forward them to the member's home unit for entry into Ops Quals, or enter completion themselves. A course completion certificate shall be issued to all crewmembers who sucessfully complete the course requirements.
Personnel will be expected to re-accomplish this training every three years.

Equivalent training from the USCG or the DoD is acceptable, but must be current.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

simon

I presented a session on ditching survivability to my Squadron last year in our monthly safety briefing. The slide show is posted to the group website here:

http://gp2.cawg.cap.gov/doc/Ditching.pps

Not to undermine survival courses - it is all good knowledge to have - but learning about water temperatures, the bottom line for us folks on the West Coast is that if you are not flying within gliding distance of the coastline, the actual ditch is the least of your worries. If you have to swim even a mile to shore you are probably toast.

There are a lot of numbers on this stuff. The Coast Guard has done numerous (Torture) studies over the years with their poor souls. Having swum Alcatraz a couple of times (With and without a wetsuit, including with my 9 year old daughter), you are better off in a Speedo over a flight suit. The time of useful consciousness in mid to high 50's water, assuming no injuries, is a few hours.

Egress rates for light planes are high - Can be as high as 95% unless you are in rough ocean or at night. But the bottom line is unless you are in Bahamian like water, be really sure you can glide to within a short paddle to the beach.

CAPSGT

I don't see anything in the guidelines that requires any sort of Egress Dunking Unit.  The closest I see is a demonstration of orienting crewmembers to egress.

I haven't organized it, but I have taken it locally in my wing when it was taught (by a CAP member) at a Wing Conference where we had the hotel pool at our disposal.  As a costal state that does perform overwater operations, we actually have rafts and PFDs for every aircraft as part of a requirement for our Bay Patrol mission we perform all summer long for the state.  One of the things about this type of equipment is that is requires recertification every few years.  Sometimes it is simply more expensive to repair & recertify than it is to replace.  When that happens, the equipment is taken out of service and becomes a training device.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

BillB

Under the old Airline Stewardess School that the airlines ran for CAP, water survival was a part of the program. The schools were taught at Eastern Airlines and Delta Airlines for female CAP cadets.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Smithsonia

This issue came up during the Gulf Oil Spill. We had crews who wanted to go but didn't have the water survival training. Being that we have members that have served in Rita/Katrina, crew CD missions on the border and along the Gulf, wanted to serve the Gulf Oil spill but couldn't because of the requirement, have a national asset in the Archer/GA8, and don't ever know what mission may come up... I think since it is now a requirement from National - we should explore Water Survival Training and offer it yearly or perhaps bi-annually. 

I've been asked to "work on it." Hence, my questions. In Colorado, the need doesn't seem imperative. SO, it's a little tough to know how important to make it.

Personally, at least right now, I think the training should be offered. Even in mountain flying - sometimes - the only flat surface available when an engine dies - is a lake. Think of the last action sequence in The Stephen Spielberg Movie "Always." HOWEVER, we can't depend upon the Ghost of Richard Dreyfuss to "always" give us a hand.

Right now, I am uncertain how much to do on this matter, as I am uncertain if it will ever come up. That said, training is not about what you will do - but "If" you can do it whenever it happens. "It" in this case is both the OVER WATER missions and in water emergencies. 
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

bosshawk

Simon: can you really see the reactions of some of our uniform Nazis when you suggest wearing a Speedo over a flight suit?  I almost spilled my coffee when I read that: especially since I know you personally.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

blackrain

Quote from: bosshawk on February 07, 2011, 04:33:33 PM
Simon: can you really see the reactions of some of our uniform Nazis when you suggest wearing a Speedo over a flight suit?  I almost spilled my coffee when I read that: especially since I know you personally.

I thought he meant Speedo "versus" flightsuit. >:D

I may now have to drink something stouter than coffee to get rid of the image.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

SarDragon

I had to read it twice as well. Got a good chuckle.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Wouldn't wear a Speedo on a dare or under any other circumstances. :P :P
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Quote from: ol'fido on February 08, 2011, 01:11:16 AM
Wouldn't wear a Speedo on a dare or under any other circumstances. :P :P

Oh, Speedo makes all different styles of suits.

I'd wear something like this:

It would contrast nicely with the white skin.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Dave
CAP doesn't need camo speedos
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ammotrucker

Quote from: Smithsonia on January 29, 2011, 06:42:00 PM
Has anyone organized this training? If so, did you piggy back with the military? Other than that and without having the equipment required how did you devise the Egress Dunking Unit? Where do you get the PFDs? The rubber raft? All good ideas are appreciated.

I know that during Deepwater Southeast Region was stating that they have a cache of PFD and raft that could be sent to any training that we might want to do. 

Here in Florida we have 2 members who will teach the overwater course within reason just about any time you would request it.  There standards are what they are.  You would have to get with them  on what they  require.
RG Little, Capt

ol'fido

WIWAC, the local Corps of Engineers office at Rend Lake offered a one day course taught by a retired CG Commander. It was a couple of hours of lecture and then out to the beach to play with various PFDs and the Poopy Suit. Also, we learned some basic lifeguard skills.

Later on when I joined the Army and reported to Schofield Barracks, part of the inprocessing the 56th(?)AG company did was a day at the pool learning to make flotation devices out of BDU parts. Also, lots of time was spent doing waterborne ops. Unfortunately, none of the official training was done down at Waikiki.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Matthew J. Mallory

Quote from: ol'fido on February 08, 2011, 11:47:09 PM
Later on when I joined the Army and reported to Schofield Barracks, part of the inprocessing the 56th(?)AG company did was a day at the pool learning to make flotation devices out of BDU parts. Also, lots of time was spent doing waterborne ops. Unfortunately, none of the official training was done down at Waikiki.

I remember doing water survival training during basic training at Ft Sill, Ok back in the early 90's. I would think that if national provides the curriculum couldn't we just have some local FEMA, paramedics or other certified people tech the water survival training?
MATTHEW J. MALLORY, 1st Lt, CAP
Level III, Yeager, MO, CUL, GTL, GTM2, UDF
Commander, Syracuse Cadet Squadron NER-NY-135

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on February 08, 2011, 01:46:15 AM
Oh, Speedo makes all different styles of suits.

I'd wear something like this:

It would contrast nicely with the white skin.

Yay for Hawaiian BDUs! (It's common office and casual dress on Kwajalein, along with a T-shirt or collared polo shirt and 'slippahs' (flip flops for you mainlanders) or sandals.)  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040