Orientation Flights

Started by Pylon, February 08, 2005, 08:12:12 AM

Pylon

Out of curiosity, how often does your unit or Group fly O-Flights for cadets. 

Do you do any AFROTC O-Flights? 

For the average cadet who stays around in your unit, how many O-Flights do they normally get?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAPSGT

Since I moved to the group level, I'm not really sure how often O-flights are conducted by units in the group.  However, I am in the process of transferring to a squadron (to be the DCC) that is near where I go to school.  They haven't been flying many O-flights, but that is one of the areas that the commander and I are working to improve.

As far as AFROTC flights, MDWG has just started to get into that.  We only have one college in the state with AFROTC (University of MD), so College Park Composite Squadron is handling much of that work for us.

Mike Crockett
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Greg

Quote from: Pylon on February 08, 2005, 08:12:12 AM

We've got an O-flight log sheet that functions as an easy reference for the IG when our CP is being inspected.  On it is recorded every cadet who gets on O-flight, the date of the O-flight(s), and the date of the backseat ride(s) for the past year.  I deleted the cadets' names, and the formatting doesn't transfer over from MS Word, but the cadet's name would have been on the left, O-flight dates would be in the middle (multiple dates seperated by commas), and back seat ride dates would be all the way on the right (again, multiple dates are seperated by commas).

2/29/04   2/29/04
8/9/04, 9/4/04, 12/4/04   8/9/04, 9/4/04
4/25/04, 6/25/04   4/25/04
2/29/04   2/29/04
7/17/04   
10/10/04, 10/23/04   10/10/04, 10/23/04
2/29/04   2/29/04
2/29/04   2/29/04
2/24/04   
8/9/04, 9/4/04, 12/4/04   8/9/04, 9/4/04
10/23/04   10/23/04
2/29/04, 6/19/04, 10/10/04   2/29/04, 10/10/04

So.......we had 12 cadets receive 20 O-flights and 14 back-seat rides.  Not bad for having only two active pilots in the squadron  :)

Nope. 

QuoteFor the average cadet who stays around in your unit, how many O-Flights do they normally get?

It really depends on what their interests are.  If they're more interested in GT training, they're not going to jump on every chance to fly.  I can think of two AE-oriented cadets who joined sometime in the beginning of Fall last year, and they both have had 3 O-flights and 2 back seat rides.  On the other hand, you've got somebody like me- less than one O-flight per year on average ;D.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Schmidty06

Every weekend that is flyable, we've tried to get o-rides out.  And yes, just a few weeks ago some of our members flew down to wyoming to do AFROTC o-rides.  Our cadets tend to burn up their five o-rides in about a year once they join.

MIKE

My unit just did O-flights on February 19th and 20th... I attended Saturday for senior supervision... Of the cadets who were there to fly Saturday none had logged a powered O-flight... One had logged a glider O-flight however.

We are combining O-flight with our planning for the upcoming wing conference... These cadets who aren't flying are working on conference projects... Well, on Saturday morning we were playing Full Spectrum Warrior, Evil Genius and Half Life 2 on my laptop.  ;D

We have O-flights scheduled again for 12 and 13 March... Again, in conjunction with conference project work.
Mike Johnston

KVNY

We dont get very many powered O-flights around here. Mabey 3 or 4 chances a year.  There is, however, a glider training sq. about 45 minutes away from us with which i fly with every weekend and am working towards my solo with. (I'm paying for the flights now)
Who needs an engine? GO GLIDING!!

C/Msgt, California wing, Cadet Sq. 3, Solo pilot soon-to-be!

abysmal

For the average cadet who stays around in your unit, how many O-Flights do they normally get?

Our commander just announced the first O-Flights for our cadets in since I joined in November, and from what I can see its been about a year since the last flights.

We have 2 birds that will each make 4 flights on Saturday that will provide 20 cadets O-Flights.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Greg

Quote from: abysmal on April 26, 2005, 05:29:57 AM

Our commander just announced the first O-Flights for our cadets in since I joined in November, and from what I can see its been about a year since the last flights.

We have 2 birds that will each make 4 flights on Saturday that will provide 20 cadets O-Flights.

Good job- it sounds like you're really playing a key role in pulling your squadron together!  O-Flights are an excellent retention tool for all those aerospace-oriented cadets.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

abysmal

Hopefully that will be the case.
Will be interesting to gauge their reaction to it.

usafafreak

We have ROTC flights, pretty regularly and we have cadets go up about every 2-3 weeks. For each cadet? Now that depends on how often the want to and get signed up before everyone else. I've been in for 9 months and have had 2 O-Flights
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

JCSCADET

i have been in civil air patrol for almost 2 whole years and have done 1 front seat flight and 1 back seat flight

Westernslope

Quote from: JCSCADET on September 04, 2005, 08:56:37 PM
i have been in civil air patrol for almost 2 whole years and have done 1 front seat flight and 1 back seat flight

Sounds like a squadron problem.  The process for O Flights in MS is relatively simple but with the aftermath of the hurricane, I am not sure there will be any for a while.

abysmal

Quote from: JCSCADET on September 04, 2005, 08:56:37 PM

If you want to fly more, than you have to let the powers that be KNOW it.
Make it a priority for them, as well as for you.

JCSCADET

they do know but they arent doing anything to get us flying! but when we still had our old DCC we were doing all kinds of stuff. now cap is starting to get boring. and that not the only problem with the new DCC. he has also told numerous lies, then covers them up by saying that we just "misunderstood him".  i have already gone to him and told him that if things dont change then i am quiting.

abysmal

Be carefull on using that threat.
If your not all that important to him, then it might not make any difference to him that your willing to quit, and in fact if your a thorn in his side, he might well be happy to see you go.

Consider a different route...
What can YOU do to help him in his job.
What are HIS problems and challenges that YOU could help resolve.

As the old saying goes...

If your not part of the solution, then your part of the problem....

I certainly know first hand as a DCC what a HUGE help it would be if I had just ONE single hard core dedicated cadet that was willing to put in the same number of hours per week that I do to give me a hand....

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: abysmal on September 06, 2005, 08:57:46 PM
I certainly know first hand as a DCC what a HUGE help it would be if I had just ONE single hard core dedicated cadet that was willing to put in the same number of hours per week that I do to give me a hand....

Amen to that.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

abysmal

Its not asking THAT much, is it???

arajca

Quote from: abysmal on September 06, 2005, 08:57:46 PM

I agree with the sentiment, but how many cadets are willing to take on an almost full time job - without pay?

abysmal

I put in a few hours, but by no means is it a FULL time job.
I would be 100% happy with a Cadet that would put in 1 solid hour a day for beginners.
That alone would make a huge difference in my workload.

footballrun21

Its been over a year since my squadron as had O-flights.  My old CC moved up to wing and s crrently in europe for his job and now we have a commander who is only 22 years old (maby 23).  She went through it as a cadet, but she doesnt have tme to do mch due to college.  the rest of the senior members are Flight Officers and are also in college with one in ROTC.  We as cadets have tried to give activities,but the senior members and cadets always have conflicting schedules.  Plus it doesnt seem like we will have them anytime soon, especially with the comming of winter.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing