Prior Service Army Infantry looking for Info on joining CAP

Started by joed99, January 02, 2011, 01:59:12 PM

joed99

Hello. Joe here, former Army Infantry team leader (cpl/e-4) looking for info on Joining Massachusetts CAP. I have already contacted a unit and still waiting to hear back. What I am trying to figure out are (1) What rank would I be. I am at college using my gi bill and have 90 credits as of today.  (2) As far as Army awards, would I be allowed to wear combat awards such as the Combat Infantry Badge, the Ranger tab and other awards. I am not trying to create a look at me uniform, but I want to wear a uniform again but can not get back the regular military or NG  due to medical issues from a medical discharge. Thanks for the info and have a great new year

manfredvonrichthofen

I am in the same boat in terms of wanting to be AD. I was INF same rank, out on medical and still want to serve.

I have found CAP to be exactly what I love to this day. Just keep in mind that the uniform is not the same as an Army uniform. You can only wear two of your badges and no matter what, you can't wear your Ranger tab. I have CIB and AASLT, now I am CAP Ground Team, and so I took off my AASLT wings for my GT badge. So if wearing your bling is that big of an issue, then CAP might not be for you. However if you are looking to serve, CAP is a great place to do it.

Being enlisted Army won't give you an advanced rank unless you are an E-5, and then you can come to CAP and keep wearing E-5 USAF stripes. However SPC/CPL won't get you any up in rank, but don't worry. CAP values your experience and devotion and your contribution more than your rank. Yes, you have to have certain grades to do certain things, but you will get there with time.

joed99

Thanks for the info. As far as bling, its not that a big deal. I just want to serve again. I was looking at the ground team info online, and that was what I was looking to get into. So when I join, which I have pretty much made up my mind, will I be a senior member? Thanks for the info

manfredvonrichthofen

Yes, you will be a Senior Member.
Your knowledge will be rather valuable. A lot of people think that the INF is all kill kill kill. You and I know that to not be the case. We are rather proficient in medical field aid, we know how to track and we can adapt and overcome many obstacles, not to mention we already know the military ways, D&C C&C and how to follow orders and do what we need to do to accomplish the mission. I think you will enjoy CAP and Ground Ops, and I think CAP can benefit from your knowledge. Just don't let what you have done in the military flood your head, CAP is a different beast.

RADIOMAN015

CIVIL Air Patrol is just what it is, a bunch of civilians acting in the role of the AF auxiliary, it is NOT the military.  As a senior member you will have to be indoctrinated into the proper way of acting in a civilian organization and what uniforms you can wear & what can be worn on those uniforms.   CAP at this time performs "non combat" missions for the USAF and other agencies.

Of what I known about the MA wing, there's virtually NO ground team missions at this point, other than an occasional UDF.   HOWEVER, the wing has some very dedicated personnel who run a ground team training program, primarily for cadets with some senior members also participating.

Again, the key thing to remember is that you ARE NOT in the military any more and when dealing with other adults you will have to persuade them to your way of thinking.  Good luck
RM

JohnKachenmeister

Initially, you will be a "Senior Member Without Grade" or SMWOG.  SM for short.

After 6 months and completion of training level 1 you will be promoted to 2nd Lt.  Please note that we don't use the Army standard 3-character rank abbreviations, so you won't be a 2LT.

You can wear all of your award ribbons.  You can wear the CIB.  You can't wear the Ranger tab and you can't wear your shooting awards. 

As an infantryman, you will be in demand as a Ground Team member and subsequently a Ground Team leader.  Leading a GT is just like leading a squad.  Equipment check, land nav., "Send up the count," and if you find a crashed airplane, establishing a perimeter and checkpoints to secure the site.

Among the things you will have to learn is that whenever there's a mission, the first thing we do is throw unit integrity out the door.  We create a task force under an "Incident Commander" to work the mission.  This made no sense to me until I was in for a while and came to realize that with an all-volunteer force that we have it is the best way to work.  We never know who is available and sober at the moment when a mission happens.

And... Welcome to the family.

Also... don't listen to Radioman15.  He's a Communist.
Another former CAP officer

joed99

Thanks alot for this info. As I am doing more research I am finding that certain military courses count such as medical courses. Since these courses are listed on my DD-214 will they be counted. I attended Army WLC Warrior Leader course, Level 1 of NCO Academy. Are other courses counted for credit in regards to training? IE I went to SDM school, ( light sniper) and we were graded in land nav, communications, observation and more. I know I am asking alot of questions, just want to learn as much as I can. Thank you

manfredvonrichthofen

Really nothing combat related (shooting and the like) will count for anything. Show your leadership that you have the land nav training and such and they will work to get your qualifications as quickly as possible because of you being such a ground asset.

MIKE

I am a former MAWGer.  Unfortunately RADIOMAN015 seems about right on the Emergency Services activity of the wing of late.  About all I can say is get in touch with your local unit and go to a few meetings and see what they are really about... if you are in a part of the state where you have a few units you could choose from... shop around a little before you pick the one that best suits you.
Mike Johnston

SABRE17

As a current MAWG cadet, my unit was tasked with two EPIRB missions just in 2010. and we have a great SAR school in its first year that will be around for many many more. there are plenty of training opportunities in the wing, and the wing just got an MOU with the state that puts on the same board as the state police, MEMA and other agencies, so i see more missions in 2011.

what unit were you in contact with Joe?

SARDOC

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 02, 2011, 02:55:12 PM
Initially, you will be a "Senior Member Without Grade" or SMWOG.  SM for short.

After 6 months and completion of training level 1 you will be promoted to 2nd Lt.  Please note that we don't use the Army standard 3-character rank abbreviations, so you won't be a 2LT.

Yeah we use the USAF Abbreviation for Second Lieutenant "2d Lt."   >:D

joed99

I was looking at the Plymouth unit. As far as uniforms go if I wear bdu's, this means I have to go by AF standards corrects ( just like army 670-1) meaning I have to be fully clean shaven. Thats not an issue. As far as the bdu's. are they the general issue BDU's? I have like 6 sets, 3 never used thanks to getting the ACU's. If they are one in the same, looks like I will only need nametapes. Just another question. Since I am so close to finishing school, 90 credits on double degree, is there any advancement options due to college credits just like active duty going to OCS with 90 credits?

ol'fido

No, there is no credit for college work in your senior member PD. If you had attended senior NCO academies(FSA  or SMA), they can be substituted for some of the PME requirements later on in the senior member program.

Welcome to CAP, BTW. I am former 11B and E-4 myself. Served in B Co., 4th BN. 27th Inf. the "Wolfhounds". Sadly, my bn was deactivated in the late 90s. 1st and 2nd Bns still soldier on in the 25th ID at least.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Flying Pig

Just keep in mind that you are joining a civilian non-profit 501c3 corporation.  Not lat moving over to a different branch of the military.  You can wear most of your ribbons and a few of your badges.  Beyond that, you will come in and start at the beginning like everyone else.  I was a former Marine E5 and US Army Reserve E5.  Believe me, you'll get a lot more out of CAP if you just go through the steps.  I see way to many military vets who join CAP and then spend more time trying to figure out how to get "credit" for some wild and crazy school they went to in Okinawa in 1985.  If they just took a weekend at a CAP event, met new members and just learned about CAP they'd find its not so bad and would actually learn about how CAP operates as a corporation. Im not saying you are, but when youve been in a while, youll see what I mean.
As a former infantryman myself, the hardest thing you will have to learn is that CAP'ers ARENT infantryman.  ;D  They wont do land nav at full speed without cracking any branches ;D

As far as your BDUs, yes, the ones you had before the ACUs will be the same ones.  Nope, your college credits dont get you anything in CAP.  My advice, as a 20 yr CAP member, former cadet, now Senior Member and Squadron Commander, just join the program and have fun and start on page one like everyone else.  Youll find a lot of great people.

There is a CAP uniform manual, the 39-1 that will tell you exactly what badges you can wear and where on your uniform you wear them.  Just keep in mind, the USAF dictates how the CAP/USAF uniform is worn.  So don't get mad at your Sq Commander if he tells you something is out of regs.

Aside from maybe your NCO academy, nothing that you did in the military will "count" for anything in CAP.  Although the experience you bring to CAP as far as leadership and experience with dealing with people is invaluable.  In my experience, the majority of CAP members you will meet have never served in the military.  Some will be everyday Joe's just going to work and living their lives, others will be retired military Colonels or Vascular Surgeons, cops, firefighters, or advertising executives of multimillion dollar companies or Airline pilots flying Boeing 777's or F-16 pilot at the local Air Force Base.  The list is diverse.  Just be aware that in CAP, you never know who you might be talking to. >:D

Oh, and keep in mind, in order to wear the USAF uniform (Blues and BDUs) you have to maintain USAF height and weight and grooming standards.

RiverAux

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 02, 2011, 09:59:32 PM
Oh, and keep in mind, in order to wear the USAF uniform (Blues and BDUs) you have to maintain USAF height and weight and grooming standards.
No, to wear the USAF style uniforms he has to meet CAP height and weight standards which are about 10% higher than the USAF standard from 30 years ago and bears no resemblance to current USAF standards. 

SABRE17

when it comes to BDU's if you have ones issued to you from the army, and are relatively new you'll be just fine. :)

joed99

Again thanks for the great info. I looked at the height /weight and will have no issues. At 5 5 182 I never made army weight, only by tape  Thank god I only have to drop 2 pounds.

As for uniform items who is best? On AD i used USCAV and ranger joe's for alot of my uniform items. As for patches, such left sleeve for mass cap, and I am assuming unit on one of the breast pockets is that unit issue or personal  buy. What about boots? I have both black and desert in both GI (issue) and high speed tactical.

Again thank you all for the info as it makes my choice to join all the easier. I can't wait to put the uniform back on

davidsinn

Quote from: joed99 on January 02, 2011, 10:55:21 PM
Again thanks for the great info. I looked at the height /weight and will have no issues. At 5 5 182 I never made army weight, only by tape  Thank god I only have to drop 2 pounds.

As for uniform items who is best? On AD i used USCAV and ranger joe's for alot of my uniform items. As for patches, such left sleeve for mass cap, and I am assuming unit on one of the breast pockets is that unit issue or personal  buy. What about boots? I have both black and desert in both GI (issue) and high speed tactical.

Again thank you all for the info as it makes my choice to join all the easier. I can't wait to put the uniform back on

Black boots. Wing patches are optional in 49? of 52 wings so ask your unit. Unit patches are the same thing. A lot of units don't even have them made.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Blueyes

Army vet here, new to CAP and soaking it up.  (i was Intel, now a bodyguard and private investigator... Im real good at soaking it up, haha).  Served in OIF III, IV (2006).  S-2 for 3-4 AASLT, 4CAB, 4ID, MND-B.

If wearing USAF style uniforms, you must adhere to AR 670-1 rules/regs as far as personal appearance goes.  Ribbons (yes), badges (if they were worn above the left breast pocket, yes), combat patches (no)

If you want to wear CAP distinctive uniforms, you can be a grizzly bear if you so choose (fat, & hairy).  Can't have anything that says "I am/was military"

here is what you need...
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/forms_publications__regulations/indexes_regulations_and_manuals.cfm

enjoy!

cap235629

Quote from: Blueyes on January 02, 2011, 11:56:09 PM
Army vet here, new to CAP and soaking it up.  (i was Intel, now a bodyguard and private investigator... Im real good at soaking it up, haha).  Served in OIF III, IV (2006).  S-2 for 3-4 AASLT, 4CAB, 4ID, MND-B.

If wearing USAF style uniforms, you must adhere to AR 670-1 rules/regs as far as personal appearance goes.  Ribbons (yes), badges (if they were worn above the left breast pocket, yes), combat patches (no)

If you want to wear CAP distinctive uniforms, you can be a grizzly bear if you so choose (fat, & hairy).  Can't have anything that says "I am/was military"

here is what you need...
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/forms_publications__regulations/indexes_regulations_and_manuals.cfm

enjoy!

emphasis mine..... HUH???????
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé