Main Menu

24 hour packs

Started by Gunny Couture, December 21, 2010, 12:40:35 AM

tsrup

Quote from: IceNine on December 21, 2010, 05:10:45 AM
10+ years on as a GTL.  I use THIS

If you can be a little patient you can find them on ebay and the like for about $30.  It does I need for 24 hour gear and UDF.  When I need water on me I put a camelbak underneath and off I go.  Otherwise I keep a few bottles in the car and that's usually good enough.

I'm a little leery of advocating any equipment with the star of life on it by those who are not appropriately rated as EMS.  Go ahead, buy the vest (it looks great and extremely practical for our standards), but by all means remove the star.  It sends the wrong message and may be confusing to those who are unfamiliar with what we do and what we are allowed to do. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

titanII

While all the little packs are nice and all, the fact of the matter is that to have smaller gear (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc.); you will generally have to pay more. The same is true if you want a durable, comfortable, pack with good features. I don't like it, but that's just how it is. However, you can generally get a pretty good pack for about $20 on either side of $100. Mine was $80 and some change, and I've never had a major quip about it. I use it for 3 day backpacking trips, sometimes more, and it's great. But it you're willing to shell out some extra $$$ to be comfortable and travel light, then I would recommend buying a pack about this size: http://www.campmor.com/kelty-redwing-3100-rucksack.shtml?source=CI&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=90288. It is a bit cheaper, and you can usually stick your sleeping bag in the bottom and strap your pad to the bottom- it has loops there. It also has a space for a reservoir, as well as good straps and a single Aluminum stay in the back for structure/support. Good luck, and I recommend buying out of season and/or right before the new models come out. They're usually about $20 or so cheaper.
No longer active on CAP talk

m981

I liked the looks of the kelty 3100, so ordered from campmor. It arrived in about 2 days and suits my needs nicely, Good tip. :clap:
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

JC004

I use that and my 2650 constantly. 

ECHO35

If you have to carry stuff for 24hrs or perhaps more my personnel favorite pack is the Osprey talon 22 / or the stratos 34. I also still carry the old school rucksack which I just cant seem to git rid of.

chickenjoe

I have a 3 day assult pack that works excellent and it has all the room you ned with molle and bladder pack pockets
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

clay

Quote from: chickenjoe on February 23, 2011, 06:20:29 PM
I have a 3 day assult pack that works excellent and it has all the room you ned with molle and bladder pack pockets
What type of assault pack is it? I was thinking about getting a 3 day assault pack for my 72 hr. pack and getting a vest for my 24 hour pack. Does any one know of any good vest with a good amount of space but around/ under 50$?