Main Menu

Feel Unappreciated?

Started by DBlair, December 16, 2010, 10:01:09 PM

Chappie

While the "____________of the Year award" (Squadron, Group, Wing, Region or National level), ComComs, MSA, ESA, and DSA might be nice additions to one's "love me" wall or nice bling on one's service/mess dress jacket, there is something that means a great deal as well -- that simple expression of "thank you" offered to or by a cadet or senior member with whom who have spent time with working on a project or dealing with a problem can mean a great deal.  To know that you have contributed to one's life or CAP career during a short-time or even long-term is a reward that one can not hang on a wall or wear on an uniform --- and is often far more rewarding or fulfilling.  I served in a squadron  where the Depuity Commander for Cadets had a phrase he said time and time again when awading cadets their achievement awards: "This is my paycheck"

It certainly doesn't hurt for a project leader, a Squadron/Group/Wing CC, or a wing or region director to take a few minutes to fill out a Form 120 (there is even a publication that was recently published to give assistance: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P039_003_F66823F4021E0.pdf) for that individual who has gone beyond their scope of duty in performance and submit it for consideration.  Even though National can provide a formal Certificate of Appreciation, it doesn't hurt to create one of your own for a specific event or activity.  It certainly makes it more personable.  In keeping with the spirit of that Deputy Commander, I feel that any piece of paper or that 85 cent piece of fabric certainly is the paycheck for our outstanding volunteers.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ProdigalJim

Without in any way disagreeing with your main point, I note with some amusement that "Awards Made Easy" is eighty pages long... ;D
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Chappie on December 19, 2010, 09:43:26 PM
(there is even a publication that was recently published to give assistance: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P039_003_F66823F4021E0.pdf)
Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 28, 2010, 11:39:45 PM
Without in any way disagreeing with your main point, I note with some amusement that "Awards Made Easy" is eighty pages long... ;D
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Chappie

Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 28, 2010, 11:43:51 PM
Quote from: Chappie on December 19, 2010, 09:43:26 PM
(there is even a publication that was recently published to give assistance: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P039_003_F66823F4021E0.pdf)
Quote from: ProdigalJim on December 28, 2010, 11:39:45 PM

Having been on the Wing awards committee at one time, I can assure you  that such a document is needed.  Though it is eighty pages long...it has a wealth of material on how the Form 120 is to be completed as well as how to write the justification for the award itself.  If I have learned one thing about CAP, it is that all documents must be prepared correctly.   I have seen justifications written for awards that were simply stated: "Joe Shmoe should get this award because he is a good guy and does good work."   That will not hack it.  This publication, though lengthy, is thorough and provides a person who is considering an award for another member the tools to submit a justification worthy of the award requested. 

One other thing to consider.   The person who receives the framable award certificate also receives a copy of the Form 120 for his/her 201 file.  The write up is often more meaningful than the certificate.

Having had some of my earlier submissions returned, I learned the hard way to prepare a Form 120.  I wish there had been a pamphlet on "Awards Made Easy" when I first began submitting awards.  It amazes me that when it is done properly, the award requested gets approved.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

HGjunkie

I guess I could throw this into the mix...

I just got back from staffing an encampment several days ago. At the Dining-in banquet, my C/OIC asked to speak with me for a few seconds. She shook my hand, gave me my challenge coin, and congratulated me on working hard and being dedicated for the past week in my staff position. To me, that made the whole encampment ten times better. Just simple things like a hand-shake and a thank-you.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

bosshawk

It's interesting how that works.  Now, if we could just convince CAP members in leadership positions to consider that simple action.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

James Shaw

Quote from: bosshawk on January 07, 2011, 05:53:52 PM
It's interesting how that works.  Now, if we could just convince CAP members in leadership positions to consider that simple action.

Many of them do...

The SER Cammander Col James Rushing gave me one of his numbered challenge coins (#173) after my speech at the 2010 GAWG conference. He even waited until after about 20 other people came ot talk to me about history.

General Courter sent me one of her bronze National Commander coins after the NHQ dedication ceremony for the work I had done for the displays at NHQ.

She also sent me one of her silver challenge coins during the Christmas holidays for my previous years work for her.

I am very thankful for the people and the coins. A simple action does go a long way.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

bosshawk

Jim: I am pleased that you have been recognized for the fine work that you do and have done.  What I am really displeased about are those in leadership positions(note that I don't use the term "leader") who haven't said thank you in the three plus years that they have been in quite high positions in echelons of which I am aware.  When asked, the usual retort is something like " I don't have time for that stuff'.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

a2capt

Quote from: bosshawk on January 07, 2011, 07:14:51 PM" I don't have time for that stuff'.
Always, always. always.. thank your people. Without your people, you can't lead.
They're not leading otherwise.

SABRE17

been in CAP for two years... been "promised" a staff position since about my 6th month (c/A1c) <-- took a while to promote cause of conflicts with school. when the unit had a board to pick new staff last month, the cadet staff do it on a week THEY KNEW i wouldn't be there. So now there is a C/SSgt in charge of the flight that's been in for maybe 8 months, and I'm still in a non staff role, yet still the supply NCO. I realize time does not = rank, nor does age, but I'm feeling pretty worthless...

a2capt

There's a lot more ahead than just being unit 'staff'. There's a lot to get out of the program. OTOH, I do have to say, if they 'knew' you wouldn't be there, did you express an interest through the proper channels? Did you put a resume together as to why you should get whatever position you are seeking? Did they have it? How often have you not been there?

coudano

I guess I skipped this thread before, but it's a huge issue in any volunteer organization (not just CAP)

It is the nature of the beast for
a) the leadership of the organization to burn out their people resources fast, and when they are burned out, discard them and move on to fresh new people
b) a few outstanding members to vastly exceed 'normal' out of personal drive (which works nicely with a, now doesn't it?)

To me the answer, from the 'very hard working volunteer' angle is:
1.  Keep doing what you do, for your own reasons.  In the end that's all that matters anyway.  Well that and the actual impact that you make on the lives of others (though that probably falls in the 'personal reasons' category)
2.  Take care of yourself.  Set and enforce reasonable personal boundaries.  Say no to things that cross those boundaries.  And make that boundary somewhere before the point of your personal exhaustion.  The organization will go on.  And you certainly can't be less appreciated than you are now, by doing just a little less, can you?
3.  Make sure you are socially connected to other people "like you".  Hang out with them, do bbq's with them, go out for a beer with them.  Not 'official' CAP work, or activities during this time...  down time with colleagues.  This esprit community, in my opinion, is the good solution here.  The unspoken understanding amongst people who work hard and do good things.  Just being part of such a group is often quite enough for me.
4.  Seeing people I mentor succeed, and the occasional 'thank you' from them goes a long way.  A lot further than a certificate and piece of cloth.

There should be basic training on these things in new member introductory level training.
How to do a great job but not burn yourself out.
And it should be the majority of commander training (maybe it's in there, i've never been to a UCC)
How to NOT burn your people out.
The goal should be sustainable long term high performance.

Another piece of the pie that does matter is that awards are sometimes political in nature.  I have watched awards for certain very deserving people get squashed.  I have watched awards submitted by certain people get squashed.  I have watched awards for certain things get squashed.  I've watched awards submitted for deserving people, by good people, for good things get squashed simply because of disorganization and strife at higher echelons (that would have otherwise gone through).  It does happen.

That said, i've sat there and rolled my eyes as someone got showered with awards for a fraction of my effort.  As discussed there are a lot of reasons why that happens.  A point you may wish to consider is whether you really actually want to be 'one of those guys'.  Again, just because someone is tossing framable papers at you, doesn't mean that they /actually/ recognize and appreciate you, either.  Sometimes those things really amount to just automatic administrative process...

You also have to realize that sometimes the recipients of those awards are rolling their eyes even as they get them because they too know that what they did was 'standard fare' or 'not that big of a deal'.  I've been that guy.  What are you going to do, refuse to go up there and take the candy award????  No you take it and stick it in a box at home.  The show must go on.

In the end, what I really want is to be *actually* recognized and *actually* appreciated by someone whose recognition and approval I actually care about.  Frankly, CAP awards and decs do very little for me in terms of that, and I actually personally disdain getting called up in front of a group for formal presentation.  It goes back to morale and esprit.  Really the basics of leadership eh... (incase spies are reading this, i think the people around me actually do a pretty good job at this, i'm not fishing for group hugs or anything).

One other thing i'll throw out there is this:  if you really want to recognize CAP members who work hard in a meaningful way, do something nice for their spouses (and I don't mean a certificate of appreciation).  Spouses of highly productive CAP members (especially when that spouse isn't a cap member) tolerate a lot of trash, and showing them the impact (at the people level) being made could go a long way in smoothing some of that over.  That may be one of the most effective ways to appreciate your members, and make a long term improvement to their ability to continue to serve.

SABRE17

QuoteThere's a lot more ahead than just being unit 'staff'. There's a lot to get out of the program. OTOH, I do have to say, if they 'knew' you wouldn't be there, did you express an interest through the proper channels? Did you put a resume together as to why you should get whatever position you are seeking? Did they have it? How often have you not been there?

there was ZERO announcement, I had informed my staff i would not be at that meeting due to a Jazz concert <-- 3rd trumpet, and the concert was for a high school class.

there were no resume's
no recommendations
^ that i knew of ^

I still feel a little cut out

now all things being said, the cadet that is now the flight sergeant, is more then capable and would have been my choice if i was the Cadet commander.

what makes me feel bad, is that i never received any notice of the selections, nor was i considered in my absence. fyi, every one in the unit knows me, i know they did not forget about me...

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SABRE17 on January 11, 2011, 07:48:57 PM
now all things being said, the cadet that is now the flight sergeant, is more then capable and would have been my choice if i was the Cadet commander.

what makes me feel bad, is that i never received any notice of the selections, nor was i considered in my absence. fyi, every one in the unit knows me, i know they did not forget about me...

So you would have picked the other candidate, too?  So what is the issue, if the other cadet was the better choice, by your own admission?  You also don't know if they considered you or not.  I'd be willing to bet that they at least discussed the possibility of you, but selected the other guy instead.

Do you miss a lot of meetings?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SABRE17

i don't miss meetings regularly.

If i had to choose a cadet to be a flight sergeant THAT WASN'T ME, it would be him.

what annoys me, is that A) i was never considered B) i never received any notice that such a board was going on and C) there's another C/SSgt that is not in the C.O.C. that gets treated as staff, hasn't promoted in about a year nor does anything...

I think I'm a victim of cronyism. I'm just waiting to get to college so i can go to a different unit...

mclarke

My honest thought is that it is the PAO who should be in on this. I am a PAO and I try to cover as much as I can to not only promote a positive image of CAP, but to recognize individuals as well. If there is a lack of recognition, I would very much bring it to the attention of the recruiting officer (who should be trying to keep members coming back) and the PAO.

I dont think awards are the greatest idea for keeping members, however, a simple "congrats to John Doe for completing level I and earning 2nd Lt" seems to go a very long way.

ElectricPenguin