Main Menu

Feel Unappreciated?

Started by DBlair, December 16, 2010, 10:01:09 PM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 17, 2010, 05:05:24 PM
More thoughtful on the part of the cadet.      Thats a real nice thing to do for SM  :clap:

Absolutely.  Quite a squared-away cadet as well, making a great impact as that Squadron's C/CC. 

Since I've not yet addressed Capt. Blair's situation specifically, let me take a moment now.    I really think that you need to be in a place where the work that you are doing brings its own rewards, and where whatever awards may come your way are just gravy.   Trust me, even if it is not officially recognized, people are absolutely appreciative of what you do for the program.    But to withdraw -- perhaps so people will see what it would be like without you -- merely hurts those you have the obvious desire to serve.    When I was essentially forced to move up to Wing Staff, my biggest concern was that I would no longer be able to effectively help the units and people that I had been helping - so I, to this day, still help out where I can - be it overtly or behind the scenes.    In the end, it's not about what recognition you get, it's about enjoying what you do and having the impact on the program, the people, and the mission.   If you can't find satisfaction in that alone, then it may be time to consider a different duty assignment, unit, or program.  Or, perhaps, you simply are burned out and need a break - it happens.     

James Shaw

I also believe that those that are in the squadron level are not recognized in the way that they should be. When I was a commander I made it a personal practice to make sure that I requested from my squadron members an end of the year report of what they had done. I would look at them and see what fell in line with the normal duties of their committment and then looked beyond what they signed up to do. I would submit request for awards based on that.

I dont feel that it is a lack of desire or respect for the members to be recognized. I think it is partially the time it takes to do the writing and other committments they have. I am not saying the system is perfect and there is ALOT of work that could be done to improve the overall procedure. I am all for that. I do have to agree that it is a "great" feeling to have a cadet say thank you and no one can take that "pay away" but people who do the work and spend their VOLUNTEER & UNPAID time deserve to be recognized as well.

I also feel that the members of the squadron should bring this to the attention of the commander. This seems like such an easy thing to fix if it is approached respectfully. If a person gets to the point where they are going to "drop out" the commander and the member need to have a direct interview and find out what the problem is. I dont think there is anything wrong in being appreciated!

I would caution people about demeaning others because they have received something you have not. Unless you know 100% of the facts than it is not a fair assessment or judgment for anyone to make.

In my opinion the only way this is going to change is if the members bring it to others attention and not let it slip by before they leave.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

SKI304

This thread was a good reminder that I need to finish a few CAPF 120's I had started and put on the back burner to tackle more immediate operational necessities.  Personally, I more often than not feel like I fall into the un/under-appreciated categories.  Especially when it struck me that I'm being forced to put more time into my CAP job than my day job.  I've essentially put my personal life and career on hold for the whims of CAP.  Sure I get an award here and there, but I've been riding the burned out train for far to long.  Compound that with complaining parents and colleagues and it really makes me question why I continue doing this.  Then I remember why I do it - because I believe the Cadet Program is too great of a thing to let fail.  The occasional thank yous and acknowledgments from the cadets and parents that realize how much others and myself put in make it worth it.

However, I think unit recognition is also a big problem in CAP, or at least in my immediate area.  Recognizing the team efforts effects the morale of many more than singular persons and neglecting that could be rather damaging.  Unit Citations are virtually non existent here.  In the past eight years or so, I've only heard of two units in my wing receiving them, and I know there are plenty that are deserving.  As an example we've even gone as far as submitting our own unit three times now, never to hear anything back.  Heck, we're still waiting to receive our streamer from winning Squadron of Distinction in...2005.  At least we got the unsigned certificate in the mail.  I've pretty much given up on seeing any unit level recognition or appreciation from higher headquarters.  Live, learn, overcome, and move on I suppose.

BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

RiverAux

I don't have a problem with people putting themselves in for promotions or the routine awards if their unit personnel officer or commander are too lazy to do it.  But, outside of that it would look a little odd to put yourself in for the real decorations.

James Shaw

Quote from: RiverAux on December 17, 2010, 06:38:16 PM
I don't have a problem with people putting themselves in for promotions or the routine awards if their unit personnel officer or commander are too lazy to do it.  But, outside of that it would look a little odd to put yourself in for the real decorations.

I do not feel that you should put yourself in for one. I suggest making the command aware of what you have done for the year. They have alot of other tings to be concerned with and it is easy to forget as one "member" posted.
Jim Shaw

DBlair

I think much of my point is being misunderstood.

It is not at all that I'm doing things as part of some quest for decorations. Having the impact that I've had on Cadets is certainly very rewarding- there is nothing like seeing them develop into leaders and know you had a part in that.

That being said, there is a point where neglect of recognition/appreciation is over the top and enough is enough. When you are taken for granted that much and expected to do more and more, often without so much as a 'thanks' said in passing, meanwhile seeing others get recognition for minimal/no efforts, you start to feel bitter about it and the reward of our impact on the Cadets is no longer enough as you feel like the organization (or at least those in a position to recognize efforts) is taking you for a fool. I don't mean to sound like some whining member who expects something for every little thing, but enough is enough, (for lack of a better term) put up or shut up.

I'll put it out there and be open about it... Would I like to be offered a Region/DCP or Group/CC (or CV with real opportunity to move up) or some nice Wing-level position? Sure. Would I like to receive an ESA, MSA, heck even an AA (I think we are far beyond the point of an AA, though), and Cadet Programs Officer of the Year Award? Sure, to be honest, I think I've earned at least these for everything I've done and I'm tired of being overlooked and taken for granted while others get an endless flow of (often unearned) recognition.

It isn't that the inherent reward of working with the Cadets is not there, its that when you start to feel like you are being taken (by the higher ups) as an idiot who will put forth more and more effort without any appreciation, it starts to really sting. This is largely about the principle.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

James Shaw

Quote from: DBlair on December 17, 2010, 08:04:51 PM
I think much of my point is being misunderstood.

I believe that your message is pretty clear. People just have different ways of presenting it.
Jim Shaw

Tim Medeiros

some nice Wing-level position? Sure.
There was a wing level CP position open for applications last month (the position is now closed and decided), why not apply for it?  The SER DCP just changed over, there may be a position on the staff available as well.

Sometimes when it comes to positions, you need to be proactive.  That's how I got my region and wing positions I have now.  I saw a need and offered my services.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

DBlair

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on December 17, 2010, 08:50:26 PM
There was a wing level CP position open for applications last month (the position is now closed and decided), why not apply for it?  The SER DCP just changed over, there may be a position on the staff available as well.

Sometimes when it comes to positions, you need to be proactive.  That's how I got my region and wing positions I have now.  I saw a need and offered my services.

Being proactive is how I got my Group/Cadet Programs Officer position, I have no problem being proactive in pushing for a position. I've previously sent info and made my interest known to SER and FLWG, but alas everything was ignored.

Personally, I would have loved the SER/DCP role, but it was never offered or even put out for applications. As for the Wing CP position, I'm guessing you are speaking about DDR, but (no offense) I would rather be involved with something much more 'mainstream' CP than DDR.

To be honest, I like my Group/CP position, it is essentially like being the DCP of my own Wing-size Group, and I like being King of my own domain, so to speak. Would I consider another position if offered? Sure, it would be nice to actually be considered.

I also have no problem taking on more assignments or progressing forward with what I'm currently doing, but it is time to put up or shut up and appreciate what I've done thus far. I've been taken for granted way too long and until I'm appreciated/recognized, my involvement is coming to a near halt, including *everything* I'm currently doing (*cough* Encampment, and so much more) and everything else (seems to be an endless list) that people are trying to get me to take on.

Ned

CP "career progression" is kind of a wierd animal.

I spent the first 30 years or so of my membership with squadrons, but doing a lot of additional-duty wing-level stuff like encampments.  I love squadrons and that is undoubtedly where I will go when my current gig ends.

After all, even if everything goes perfectly and you serve 3-4 years as a DCP at the wing, then region, and finally at the National levels, at some point you're done stacking turtles, and it is back to the pond.

Where the water is just fine.

With apologies to Dr. Suess,

Ned Lee
(Who after 40 years has never received an MSA, but I'm OK with that.)

spaatzmom

Quote from: DBlair on December 17, 2010, 09:12:15 PM

Being proactive is how I got my Group/Cadet Programs Officer position, I have no problem being proactive in pushing for a position. I've previously sent info and made my interest known to SER and FLWG, but alas everything was ignored.

Personally, I would have loved the SER/DCP role, but it was never offered or even put out for applications. As for the Wing CP position, I'm guessing you are speaking about DDR, but (no offense) I would rather be involved with something much more 'mainstream' CP than DDR.

To be honest, I like my Group/CP position, it is essentially like being the DCP of my own Wing-size Group, and I like being King of my own domain, so to speak. Would I consider another position if offered? Sure, it would be nice to actually be considered.

I also have no problem taking on more assignments or progressing forward with what I'm currently doing, but it is time to put up or shut up and appreciate what I've done thus far. I've been taken for granted way too long and until I'm appreciated/recognized, my involvement is coming to a near halt, including *everything* I'm currently doing (*cough* Encampment, and so much more) and everything else (seems to be an endless list) that people are trying to get me to take on.

Wow the passive-aggressive nature of your posts are stunning.  Could it be that subconsciously this posture could have been seen by others and they decided to put space between you and awards?

In less than 10 days winter encampment begins and you are the commandant.  By your last sentence, you are more than willing to hang those attending out to dry especially cadets.  This is probably not the fast track to consideration of any award in the near future.

DBlair

Quote from: spaatzmom on December 17, 2010, 09:27:59 PM
Quote from: DBlair on December 17, 2010, 09:12:15 PM

Wow the passive-aggressive nature of your posts are stunning.  Could it be that subconsciously this posture could have been seen by others and they decided to put space between you and awards?

In less than 10 days winter encampment begins and you are the commandant.  By your last sentence, you are more than willing to hang those attending out to dry especially cadets.  This is probably not the fast track to consideration of any award in the near future.

I have not had this attitude until recently, and I made that statement to make a point. I'm just really fed up, especially with the expectations that I'm ok with being thrown into more things and doing more and more, yet don't even thank me or recognize me for going out of my way to do the previous 20 pages (listed, single spaced) of things this last year.

After a while of everyone else getting awards for things you did (including a Lifesaving ribbon) or for anything from practically breathing to showing up, and you don't even get a sincere thank you, it gets to the point where enough is enough and you are done being taken for a fool.

Am I really fed up, bitter, and at 'that place' in my involvement? Absolutely. I wasn't always like this, though, as I normally just keep smiling and working at 1,000%, but I'm done going out of my way and being treated like crap.

MSG Mac

I too am feeling, if not unappreciated but frustrated by the (non) actions of our Group Commander and staff.  I have submitted several awards for my people over the last year and there is no response from the Group. Hasn't been a Commanders Call in a year, and when  I occasionally get an email from the Group, replies to the same email are returned as nonexistent. If Group staff had meetings on a night different from my own squadron's I would go down and raise hell with them.  I am grossly underwhelmed by the group and  already in the process of selecting my replacement, because if this continues, I won't renew my membership! At least not in Florida Wing.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Yes, you are fed up, we can see that.  It seems that advice had been offered, and not wanted. Certain thanks are now declared to the level of actually being worse than nothing at all, even. What is it you want?

Has your Wing CC read this thread? Maybe they should. How about the staff immediately under you, fellow group staff,, or the Wing CPO?

Honestly, with the attitude being expressed here, and you saying "immediately", if I were involved in that encampment I'd be worried.. Your attention should be on that, now dwelling on this right now. Look at the mirror and see what others are seeing.

BillB

a2Capt.
Dbairs attitude is the norm in Florida. More and more people email or phone me and mention they are not going to renew This is due to the politics in the Wing which is widespread. You ask if the Wing Kind has read this thread. I can say I rather doubt it. I believe he's aware of the problems, but is unsure how to sure the problem. Also I rather imagine he's getting a spin on the state of the Wing from various staff. He has been better than several of the recent Wing Kings. But didn't know the extent of the power politics in the Wing. Locally I'm aware of three members, two were long time members who just gave up and didn't renew. It's a matter of who you know, not what you know in Florida Wing.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

HGjunkie

Isn't the wing king stepping down early at next year's conference?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

BillB

Yes, he's stepping down in April
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DBlair

I want to make it clear that this thread is not directed towards any specific members or commanders. Rather, it is meant to shed light on the idea that we as an organization generally do not sufficiently recognize or appreciate our members for all that they do.

Prior to posting this thread, and as a result of it, I've had so many of our members tell me how dissatisfied they are with the way we fail to appropriately recognize and appreciate our members.

I offered my situation as a case study as I figured it was probably one of the most egregious examples, in order to get people thinking and discussing the fact that we have a substantial number of members who are grossly unhappy with how they are treated. Yes, I am one of these. The sad thing about it all is how simple it is to recognize and appreciate members of our organization, yet so many fail to realize it or fail to go through with it.

Was it inappropriate to air this sentiment on a public forum? Perhaps, I don't deny that, but sometimes it takes raising an issue to remind people of exactly how many of our fellow members feel they are being treated. There is a point where enough is enough and we need to treat our members right before they are so dissatisfied and unappreciated that they turn into ineffective members, or simply fade off the membership roster.

Oh, and for those who think I need to learn about non-profit organizations and management, keep in mind that (in addition to my extensive professional resume and currently serving as the President of a company) I have served as the volunteer President and Executive Director of multiple non-profit organizations, to include one organization of 10,000 members and over 1,000 events per year, having built it to the highest point in over 30 years. How was I successful? I made sure my volunteers (from top to bottom) truly felt appreciated for the incredible things they were doing. People are generally willing to go above and beyond, but they should never be taken for granted.

dogboy

I can definitely relate to a feeling of being unappreciated. My particular peeve is the Commander's Commendations. At least in my Wing, CCs are automatically awarded to AE Officer of the Year, Safety Officer of the Year, Chaplain of the Year, etc.

However, there are no awards for Finance Officer of the Year, Professional Development Officer of the Year, Personnel Officer, IS Officer, etc - - consequently no CCs are awarded to Officers in these positions, regardless of how well they do their job.

In my twelve years in CAP, I've had only one Commander that understood the importance of  awards to maintaining moral among those who do the work that keeps a Squadron running well.

I read on this board of Achievement Awards given to two Cadets who manned a table at an airshow all afternoon, They missed a family picnic.

I was the Administrative, Finance, and Personnel Officer for a Squadron with 60 members for FIVE YEARS. Nobody gave me an Achievement Award or anything else.

Rotorhead

Do what you do for yourself.

Yes, it would be good to have ribbons awarded.

But the reality is, your Wing/Group/Squadron may not have people who care about them.

Do your job anyway because it is important, because others are counting on you, whatever it is that motivates you.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ