Why does the Hock get a pass?

Started by Eclipse, November 30, 2006, 07:18:50 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: ELThunter on December 04, 2006, 01:03:05 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 03, 2006, 09:40:35 PM
VANGUARD is ripping us off.  Go to a Military Clothing Sales Store on any base, post or installation and the Vanguard items for sale by AAFES are significantly cheaper than those same items sold to CAP on line.  Even without the tax figured, they are still cheaper. 

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but I have always been under the impression that AAFES was subsidized by the government, which would explain why things from Vanguard are still cheaper.  That is also why CAP can only buy selected items from them.  The DOD doesn't want to subsidize sales to non-military personnel.  Which is another pet peeve of mine.  Since we do spend a lot of our own money and are completely volunteers supporting the AF mission, why not let CAP members have full AAFES privileges.  I think technically, going by the regs, we can only buy uniform items.  So, that Camelback that they might have cheaper, we really are not eligible to purchase.  Now that's never been a problem at the AFNGB AAFES I go to,  but It could be if they cared to push it.

One reason I would bet is that you would have people joining just for the access to AAFES / NEX / BX / PX, etc.  And unlike the RealMilitary®, you could join CAP and never show.  In some cases it might be a better deal than the local shoppers club.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

CAP has always been able to purchase uniform items from the AAFES.  In fact up until 1972, CAP members were allowed to purchase a whole lot more, like gas, food and useless other crap. 

I know where I shop, the PX won't allow anyone in without a uniformed services ID card.  It was at one time difficult to get CAP members past the women checking ID cards at the door of the exchange so that they can go to the back of the store and purchase uniform stuff.
What's up monkeys?