Main Menu

Fun in C.A.P

Started by johnboy, June 23, 2010, 02:49:01 PM

Dad2-4

One thing that just popped into my head:
After taking some new cadets to work at an air show, one of the cadets, a new immigrant to the US from India, thanked me for taking her because she never thought she'd have an opportunity to do something like that.
That was fun.

EMT-83

I'll be the first to admit that CAP is probably more "fun" for cadets than seniors. Perhaps it's too easy to focus on administrivia and forget that some things really are enjoyable.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 20, 2010, 02:39:26 AM
I'll be the first to admit that CAP is probably more "fun" for cadets than seniors. Perhaps it's too easy to focus on administrivia and forget that some things really are enjoyable.

At times, that is how it should be. In a composite or cadet squadron, the cadets should be the main focus. For me, that is part of the fun, getting to watch them have so much fun and see all of your time and hard work pay off with your cadets enjoying themselves.

Thrashed

Sorry, as rewarding as some of the stuff is in CAP, I don't consider it "fun". Perhaps I have a different definition.
As a checkpilot, flying is not "fun"; it's a chore (that I'm not paid for). Glider flying sounds fun though.
Taking cadets to a museum and answering questions? No one wants to go to one (except me).
Take a plane to an airshow? What airshow? There is NO airshow anywhere near where I live.

I didn't join the CAP to have "fun", so I'm fine.

Save the triangle thingy

manfredvonrichthofen

No, you don't join CAP for fun, you do it to give. Fun is just a byproduct that occurs rather often. I have even had fun on disaster relief missions. Even though they are hard, tiring, and rather depressing, it is still fun to me to interact with my team both SMs and Cadets and work hard together and look at what we have accomplished and done for the people we are there for.

FW

+1 :clap:
My CAP "job" is not done for fun however, it can be rewarding.  Thankfully, everything else I do in CAP is fun; at least for me.  I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

meganite

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 20, 2010, 01:56:01 AM
You know what? I can't think of a single thing that I have done with CAP that wasn't fun.

Same here!  ;D

One thing I learned from writing a masters' thesis on video game design is that fun = learning. I sure am learning a lot here! :D And it's all fun! I can't wait to participate in more training exercises too! Exhausting but rewarding.

JohnKachenmeister

They offer a MASTERS' degree in video games?  You're kidding, right?
Another former CAP officer

HGjunkie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 20, 2010, 01:42:17 PM
They offer a MASTERS' degree in video games?  You're kidding, right?
Quote from: meganite on December 20, 2010, 07:29:20 AM
...writing a masters' thesis on video game design...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

bosshawk

KACH: in our day, we joked about getting a degree in Underwater Basketweaving.  Now it is video design.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

meganite

Haha, I suppose so. It's a lot more complicated than one might expect though. Requires a wide variety of skills. Programming and art. Building a world out of nothing but math. Ok would it make you feel better if I said I had written a master's thesis about flight simulators? ;) Though, I kinda wish I had done the entrepreneur thing instead...then I might actually have money now instead of an expensive piece of paper.

Flying is a lot easier than modern video game design, I can tell you that much. (And more fun, strangely enough.)

bosshawk

Just making a funny: at least you have two degrees(I assume a Bachelors).  That is a lot more than most people have.  I happen to have two, also, plus 45 hours beyond a MA.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

meganite

I've heard they still have that degree for Underwater Basket Weaving though ;)

JohnKachenmeister

Here in FL, we have a college that gives Bachelor degrees in video games, but we also have at least one that gives a BA in Golf.  I was thinking about starting an internet college to award bachelor of arts degrees in "Adult Entertainment."  Researching the course load would be a blast, and even more fun if its tax deductable.
Another former CAP officer

HGjunkie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 21, 2010, 01:56:58 AM
Here in FL, we have a college that gives Bachelor degrees in video games, but we also have at least one that gives a BA in Golf.  I was thinking about starting an internet college to award bachelor of arts degrees in "Adult Entertainment."  Researching the course load would be a blast, and even more fun if its tax deductable.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Tim Medeiros

A Bachelor degree in video games might actually be useful, especially to someone applying for a job at Blizzard Entertainment, Cryptic Studios, Activision, etc.  Especially when it comes to video game design, development, and testing (QA is huge for a company like Blizzard Entertainment).
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

meganite

Or for working on games that state "Only a small amount of simple calculus is necessary in order to play this game."  ::)