Poor PIO work on oil spill mission

Started by RiverAux, June 21, 2010, 11:29:41 PM

BuckeyeDEJ

There definitely were things that could have been done better, but hindsight's always 20/20. I have a feeling there wasn't any after-action discussion, though there should be.

To be fair, this was a high-profile mission that involved a lot of resources and a lot of coordination. There were a lot of hands involved, and a lot of opportunities to screw things up as a result. There were a lot of things done right -- Florida Wing's aviators, supporters and staff didn't miss a beat through the whole thing, supporting two missions and covering the majority of affected shoreline -- and a great story to tell, though it will only leak out a little at a time.

Selfishly, I'm a little dismayed at the Volunteer stories, because as the largest affected wing (Florida Wing could be its own region, yes, but we had a huge amount of coastline), we were imbalanced against other wings involved in the response. But we were one team, working together with a common goal, even with the silliness bureaucracy threw in the way!

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 30, 2010, 03:58:30 AM
There definitely were things that could have been done better, but hindsight's always 20/20. I have a feeling there wasn't any after-action discussion, though there should be.

To be fair, this was a high-profile mission that involved a lot of resources and a lot of coordination. There were a lot of hands involved, and a lot of opportunities to screw things up as a result. There were a lot of things done right -- Florida Wing's aviators, supporters and staff didn't miss a beat through the whole thing, supporting two missions and covering the majority of affected shoreline -- and a great story to tell, though it will only leak out a little at a time.

Selfishly, I'm a little dismayed at the Volunteer stories, because as the largest affected wing (Florida Wing could be its own region, yes, but we had a huge amount of coastline), we were imbalanced against other wings involved in the response. But we were one team, working together with a common goal, even with the silliness bureaucracy threw in the way!

An AAR was just completed at Maxwell.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

BuckeyeDEJ

Any chance we'll see the AAR report? I mean, it's not like we can't take something away from it. Or call attention to places where the higher-ups didn't see things the way our folks did. I know no one's mentioned an AAR to me....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

I am 100% for AARs, but to be useful they need to be made available to everyone.  If this AAR was specific to the public affairs portion of the mission, I'm surprised that Buckeye wasn't involved in it.

BuckeyeDEJ

Even if the AAR wasn't specific to public affairs, PA should be in the loop. Then again, it's possible that this talk is premature -- a copy of the AAR may well be on its way to me.

Larry Mangum

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RiverAux

Quote from: Larry Mangum on January 04, 2011, 01:55:06 PM
PA was represented at the AAR.
Evidently not very well if Buckeye wasn't involved. 

Larry Mangum

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2011, 03:53:04 AM
Quote from: Larry Mangum on January 04, 2011, 01:55:06 PM
PA was represented at the AAR.
Evidently not very well if Buckeye wasn't involved.
That would depend upon what level it was conducted at. Each wing involved should have had an AAR, covering its own resposne to the mission.  Then the regions involved and then an AAR by national looking at the over all handling of the mission. That is what happend at Maxwell, national looked at the over all picture with the Air Force.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RiverAux

If they did an AAR without asking the regions or Wings about their experiences they just didn't do an AAR.  Keep in mind there is no CAP regulation or even official recommendation that an AAR be done after any mission (though there should be). 

Larry Mangum

River Aux, how do you know that they did not do so. I know for a fact that the SER CC and SER DOS were participants at the AAR. In fact it is my understanding that the conference room was completely full and that additional people participated using a conference bridge. 

Please do a little bit of research before accusing people of incompetence.

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Al Sayre

The AAR is being presented at the SER Ops Conference at Tyndall at the end of the month.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RiverAux

Quote from: Larry Mangum on January 05, 2011, 02:09:44 PM
River Aux, how do you know that they did not do so. I know for a fact that the SER CC and SER DOS were participants at the AAR. In fact it is my understanding that the conference room was completely full and that additional people participated using a conference bridge. 

Please do a little bit of research before accusing people of incompetence.
Well I know that they didn't ask him for his comments because he said so several posts ago.  Please do a little more reading before accusing someone of not doing their research. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Of course, SER/CC and SER/DOS were involved. The SER/CC was CAP's head honcho for the operation.

From a purely PA standpoint, I hope that if there was a dearth of PA representation, that at least a representative of SER/A6PA was involved. Since the AAR will be presented at Tyndall, I'm sure copies will start weaving their way into Florida Wing (they should -- Tyndall's in Florida, isn't it?).

I doubt the report will make its way to the general membership without redaction, so don't everyone get their hopes up.

BillB

Tyndall is closer to BOTH Alabama Wing HQ and Georgia Wing HQ than to Florida Wing HQ.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: BillB on January 06, 2011, 12:14:11 PM
Tyndall is closer to BOTH Alabama Wing HQ and Georgia Wing HQ than to Florida Wing HQ.
Pretty much the whole state of Florida is closer to wing headquarters for both Alabama and Georgia. Florida Wing's headquarters is outside Miami for some ungodly reason (it used to be on MacDill AFB in Tampa, which is central to the entire state).

JeffDG

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 07, 2011, 04:52:18 PM
Pretty much the whole state of Florida is closer to wing headquarters for both Alabama and Georgia. Florida Wing's headquarters is outside Miami for some ungodly reason (it used to be on MacDill AFB in Tampa, which is central to the entire state).

So, FLWG HQ is closer to Cuba than most of the state then?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on January 07, 2011, 06:01:51 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 07, 2011, 04:52:18 PM

So, FLWG HQ is closer to Cuba than most of the state then?

Looks like it...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5478916/Florida%20HQ.tiff

BuckeyeDEJ

It's roughly equidistant, by air, to Orlando and Cuba. It's closer to Cuba than it is to Tallahassee, Jacksonville and Pensacola. As driving distances go, a 1950s Dodge truck on floats will get from Cuba to Miami faster than I can drive from the Tampa Bay area there.

Our wing headquarters, then, is indeed closer to Cuba than it is to at least half the state. I assure you, though, that it's no conspiracy.

SARJunkie

Isnt it in Cuba?  lol   Well Miami might as well be Cuba....hahaha
Ex CAP Guy!