Main Menu

Flight Crew Gear

Started by Chris Jacobs, November 22, 2006, 12:24:21 AM

Dustoff

Quote from: freeflight on November 24, 2006, 09:26:43 AM
Barf bags, I carry these in my flight suit and in the bag. Believe me they come in handy.

I'll say!!!

When I was on flying status I always carried a barf bag or 3 in a pocket - not for me, but for whoever I was sitting next to............for them to use, and keep me from getting smooged!!!   :o

Jim
Jim

smj58501

Quote from: Dustoff on November 25, 2006, 01:37:41 AM
Quote from: freeflight on November 24, 2006, 09:26:43 AM
Barf bags, I carry these in my flight suit and in the bag. Believe me they come in handy.

I'll say!!!

When I was on flying status I always carried a barf bag or 3 in a pocket - not for me, but for whoever I was sitting next to............for them to use, and keep me from getting smooged!!!   :o

Jim

There is a legend (true, urban, tall tale, or otherwise... but nonetheless fun to share) in our wing that a certain "superscanner" used to bring with him large, clear ziplock bags to vomit into while he scanned. Apparently he had a high propensity for pukeing, but he kept coming back for more (if that doesn't define dedicated volunteer, I don't know what does...).

He preferred clear bags because he could see through them, and thus maintain his scan while he wretched up his Subway.  The ziplock variety of course seals nicely, and trapped the smell reasonably well. The down side... the contents of course were visible to the pilot and observer, and the payback for their curiousity (human nature dictates you HAVE to look, even if it is a quick glance) was confirmation that lunch indeed was the meatball marinara today. This may or may not have had second and third order effects (this is where the story gets inconsistent) on the remaining members of the CAP aircrew team but nonetheless the potential was real.

Bottom line... another great suggestion
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Chris Jacobs

I have tons of flight time and have never puked.  But i am not going to take that to mean that i will never puke.  I know that every good pilot has to puke at least once.

For example i will use the best pilot i know.  He told me of the one and only time he puked.  It was really bumpy comming back from a day of flying when he got sick.  He pulled the bag out and let er rip, and it literally riped the bottom of the bag.  It ended all in his lap.  When they got to the airport the friend made him ride in the back of his pick up home.  When he got home his wife insisted that he didn't get to come in until she hosed him off.  This is the only time he has ever puked in his 50+ years of flying.  I believe that he even flew for the air force as an instructor.

So i will have a barf bag even if i plan on never using it.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron