Main Menu

Should I stay?

Started by ThorntonOL, May 28, 2010, 04:14:34 AM

Rotorhead

Quote from: RiverAux on May 28, 2010, 04:00:53 PM
Quote from: ThorntonOL on May 28, 2010, 04:14:34 AM
Anyone one willing to talk me out of this?
Nope, if you aren't getting what you need out of the program and aren't willing to step up and try to instigate what you think needs to be happening then nothing anybody can say to you will make it worth your while to stick around.
+1
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: shorning on May 28, 2010, 07:58:16 PM
Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on May 28, 2010, 07:25:03 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on May 28, 2010, 07:09:38 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 28, 2010, 06:46:39 PM
Why wait?

^ Just about every post I've seen by Pumbaa is about how he will not be/has not/is happy about not renewing his membership.

... her ...

Really???  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=135.msg6829#msg6829

Sorry - my bad.  For some reason I thought he was a she.  Sorry Pumbaa
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

O-Rex

Funny how one experiences a paradigm shift: a year ago, I would have flamed you saying to suck it up and stop whining....

Now I think differently.

Like others have said, take a sabbatical: since you've just held a command, you've probably experienced more of the 'chores' and a lot less of the fun stuff you joined CAP for.   Kudos for hanging in there while in command, I did too, despite HUGE frustrations-you knew that it wasn't all about you, and that you made a committment more to the members who served under your command than to those who appointed you, assuming that they are still around.  You hung in there, did your bit for King & Country and if you were lucky, made a difference for a few folks: Bravo Zulu!

You know you've burned out when you are eager to take a call from work on your cell, and cringe when you know it's a CAP-related call.

If you feel the leadership is lackluster, or members of the chain have become in-effect third world despots, hang back until they change the flag, then see what happens.

Don't take a staff position if you are burned-out: you may have a different title, but you're dealing with the same people and same organizational culture: it's like getting a divorce and then going to your in-laws for Christmas.......

I'm right there with you: time to take a little break after 10 years, don't let your membership lapse just yet,  go ahead and renew at least this time: you've probably spent $65 on a lot dumber things.

Persona non grata

Quote from: Pumbaa on May 28, 2010, 06:39:45 PM
Just let mine lapse for many of the same reasons, I have no intention on coming back.

Don't need to play military, I am on base everyday and walk and talk with Real Military(TM).

Got tired of the outlay of cash, and then being hamstrung in fund raising.

Uniforms?  I think there are enough threads on that :)

Only received one call back from a squadron 1.5 hours away when I relocated to another state last summer.  The other squadrons never replied back to my inquiries.  Guess they did not need a qualified observer, CD, Aerial photographer for coastal patrol.  oh yeah PAO, safety, Deputy commander.. I suppose I don't have anything to bring to the table.

If squadron POC's can't make the effort to return phone calls and emails, I don't want to be a part of them.

Nothing for me to learn, I've taught.

Pretty soon i will be deleting my link to CT.

My season is done.
Maybe you should have put more of an effort into CAP and give it another chance
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

jimmydeanno

Maybe my perspective is a bit different.  Every time my membership comes up for renewal I run through the same questions that I think most do.

1) Is it worth the money?
2) Is it worth the time?
3) Do I still enjoy it?
4) Am I gaining anything from still being a member?

I could very easily convince myself to answer "no" to all of them, but it isn't true.  I'm sort of at the point where I decide what I want to do in the program and do it.  I've had times where I wasn't "welcome" but I just ignored them and their pettiness, and continued to do great things.

I have a blast, every time I do something with CAP.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

flyboy53

Your reasons are sad for me. I appreciate that you want to air your concerns in this forum, but the decision is purely yours. None of us can make it for you or try to influence you to stay.

People seek out the CAP much in the same way they join the military, some club, a volunteer fire company or EMS Squad. They come in search of a goal, to seek some level of recognition or some sense of fulfillment through belonging.

Joining the CAP and serving in this capacity is an intrensic type of goal. You get out of it what you put into it and you begin to embrace the change that comes with different leadership or transitions in people or missions. It shows that the CAP, as an organization, is a living entity where change is constant. That's also how squadrons grow or change through the years.

Since I joined in 1966, there are only two other fomer cadets that I keep in regular contact with. They stuck with the CAP like I did, and I would hope the organization is better because of our insight or involvement.

One other thing, being a first lieutenant is a critical time for you. I don't know how many people I've know that hang it up at this point in their service or become really stagnant....I know, I was a first lieutant from 1975 to 1988. I would urge you to stick around and set a goal of completing everyting necessary for promotion.

Perhaps you need to look at another speciality, I have four under my belt now. I know others that chose new ones just because they were burning out. I would also urge you to pick an ES skill, if you haven't already, and start pursuing it to the maximum. You never know what rewarding opportunities await you.

I would urge you to stay. If you aren't satisfied with a certain function, task or assignment, only you have the power to change that.

Pumbaa

Quote from: eaker.cadet on May 30, 2010, 04:45:01 PM

Let's see, I was a Mission Observer, Deputy Sqdn commander, Sqdn PAO, Group PAO, NY Region assistant PAO and helped NER PAO.. was a PAO at the NER SARX, 2 years running, I flew 50 CD missions a year, flew a couple of SARs on short notice, Did SAR-X's, Designed and maintained 2 squadron and 1 group website, raised nearly $4k in funds single handedly for the squadron.  Should I go on?

And you say give it more effort?

I relocate to VA and contact 4 squadrons...

If CAP won't take the effort to call me back...

blah...

flyboy53

Quote from: Pumbaa on June 02, 2010, 10:50:04 PM

blah...

So, what were you expecting? An engraved invitation? With all of that experience, you should have known better. With all that experience, you should have taken some initiative.

Remember these lessons from the Air Force school of practical leadership: Life won't always hand you what you want or think you deserve; life itself is one big leadership labratory and pursue excellence in all you do.

This is the CAP, afterall, if you want something done, you do it yourself..... you don't wait until someone hands you a bone (offer) or says come play with us.

FW

blah...

Pumbaa, my friend.  I hear ya.  I left NER (spiritually) 7 years ago and, no one ever called me to help them... (ok, maybe I did get a couple of calls)
However, I did get a chance to make a further difference in CAP.  I did it by being proactive with the new leadership and providing an insight that was missing. Now I am less "active" but, no less involved.  I can find ways to serve at any level I choose.  I have never been turned down for flying an O'flight, giving a class on AE or CP, or just showing up at a conference to say hi to new and old friends.
For me, CAP is an extended family.  Sometimes it's good to distance yourself a bit to reevaluate your goals and objectives.  CAP will be here for you if and when you decide to re engage.  Good luck and, thanks for your service.
FW. 

cachambliss

A couple of observations:
After a long absence from CAP I decided to give it another look.  There are several Squadrons within a 45 minute drive from my house or office so for about a month I 'visited'.  I was impressed, some of these units make airport fbo's absolutely inviting.  Here is a stranger standing next to a wall for over 45 minutes and no one, not a single person offers to say hello, ask if I need assistance, or even to tell me to get out of the way.  I guess I was invisible.  Finally, as the meeting was breaking up one person did thank me for stopping by and said "come again". 
  Next week, another unit.  walk into the building and ask where the CAP meeting is taking place.  Before the counter girl can say anything a gentleman walks up sticks his hand out and says "I'm Jack ******, let me show you around"  I get the nickel tour, and then we go into the meeting room where I am introduced to everyone else on a one to one basis.
  Care to guess which squadron I joined? 

To the original poster:  Should you stay?  That my friend is a question only you can answer.  However, let me ask you a question:

If you leave how will it get better?

Sometimes as in the immortal words of 'Pogo' (for those of you who remember that comic strip from the 1960's): 
"We have met the enemy and it is us".

N Harmon

Quote from: RiverAux on May 28, 2010, 04:00:53 PMNope, if you aren't getting what you need out of the program and aren't willing to step up and try to instigate what you think needs to be happening then nothing anybody can say to you will make it worth your while to stick around.

Well, in his defense he did start this thread, so he at least seems to want to stay in CAP. He just isn't sure if it is worth it.

Perhaps we need to start a thread on how to get more out of CAP.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

RickRutledge

My one half of one cent:

I've found that with anything, CAP or otherwise, once you've hit this point, it's time to bow out. It's more destructive to try and stick it out whilst having a bad attitude because you're disappointed in the people around you and a change of CAP scenery will come with it's own set of difficulties that may amplify your already jaded outlook. It's ok, that happens.

I joined as a cadet in 1996 and stayed on as a high-speed kid until 2000-2001. I chose to get out because the seniors at my squadron's level weren't doing anything positive to help the program and the outlook wasn't all that great. One day, I was having a heart to heart with my dad and he reminded me that sometimes we're our own worst enemy (as someone pointed out before) and when we choose to "stick it out" it does more bad than good. And he was right, so adios I went into the wild blue yonder.

Fast forward ten years. My roomie and best friend (also a former cadet and now chief pilot for jet management company, CFII and ATP) indicated how he'd thought about getting back in. That got me thinking and a few weeks later we both signed up. Now we're back and focused on the future. BUT, none of this would have been possible had I not pulled out when I did. It gave me a better perspective and outlook.

Only YOU know what's best for YOU. And, you should be the only person who's advice you would take seriously.

Hope that helps.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Persona non grata

Let's see, I was a Mission Observer, Deputy Sqdn commander, Sqdn PAO, Group PAO, NY Region assistant PAO and helped NER PAO.. was a PAO at the NER SARX, 2 years running, I flew 50 CD missions a year, flew a couple of SARs on short notice, Did SAR-X's, Designed and maintained 2 squadron and 1 group website, raised nearly $4k in funds single handedly for the squadron.  Should I go on?

blah...
Ok and your point is. Many CAP members do more but they suck it up. You are just experincing the suck factor. You just need to press on, maybe you should consider taking what you went through and turn it into a postive                                                               

Custer

Quote from: cachambliss on June 03, 2010, 01:33:44 PM
A couple of observations:
After a long absence from CAP I decided to give it another look.  There are several Squadrons within a 45 minute drive from my house or office so for about a month I 'visited'.  I was impressed, some of these units make airport fbo's absolutely inviting.  Here is a stranger standing next to a wall for over 45 minutes and no one, not a single person offers to say hello, ask if I need assistance, or even to tell me to get out of the way.  I guess I was invisible.  Finally, as the meeting was breaking up one person did thank me for stopping by and said "come again". 
  Next week, another unit.  walk into the building and ask where the CAP meeting is taking place.  Before the counter girl can say anything a gentleman walks up sticks his hand out and says "I'm Jack ******, let me show you around"  I get the nickel tour, and then we go into the meeting room where I am introduced to everyone else on a one to one basis.
  Care to guess which squadron I joined? 
SAME story here.  I initially went to a squadron that met Monday nights so I could participate in something else on Wednesdays - it was a tiny group of less than a dozen and I still got ignored.  I tried out the other unit and got so much better of a response that I blew off the original event I was scheduling around and joined the second outfit.

Persona non grata

I hate to se people leave the program. Try and look at all the positive aspects of the program.  I will admit that I have wanted to walk away at times but you should just press on and be positive :D.  Whatever you decide MR. Thorton, good luck .

Regards
MAJ J H

SARDOC

blah...
Pumbaa..I don't know where in Virginia you are but you are welcome to come to the Coastal Composite Squadron in Virginia Beach...I know it's not an engraved invitation...but an invitation none the less.  thanks

johnboy

you should take a brake for a while
C/SSgt John C. Newsom
NCWG
MER-NC-048

Short Field

What is he going to do with the brake?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DakRadz

Put a halt to the wining.

Al Sayre

Is he also dining, or just eating cheese?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787