Main Menu

Signatures

Started by thevoice, May 05, 2010, 05:27:44 PM

thevoice

c/SMSgt, CAP- Cadet Commander
c/2LT, AFJROTC- DO (Ops), Drill Team Commander, Charlie Flt/CC
c/LT, NJROTC (Ret.)- XO, Academic Team Commander

The above is a signature in use on this system.  It is typical of the signatures used.

Issues:

1) The cadet did not RETIRE from the NJROTC.  He/she either quit, or left the program when graduating from high school.  There was no retirement.

2) The cadet is not the CAP Cadet Commander.  He/she may be a cadet commander of a local unit, but not the cadet commander of CAP.  Why the need to embellish?

3)  Why is it necessary to list the rank of every organization you've ever been a member of?  This also goes for those who feel it is necessary to advertise your pretend Admiral's commission in some land locked navy.  Why not also list that you are a den-mother, or grand-poo-pah in the local fraternal order?

Now, lets discuss something equally important:  Uniforms.    Our choices are too limited.  We need more.

Gawd I love captalk.

davidsinn

Got something productive to bring to the discussion or are you just here to rag on people?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

thevoice

Quote from: davidsinn on May 05, 2010, 05:33:31 PM
Got something productive to bring to the discussion or are you just here to rag on people?

Do you?

You didn't address any of my three points.

vmstan

If you have issues with this cadets signature, it would probably be best to directly contact them and address it instead of creating a public thread.

That said --
While I agree that you don't have to list every group you've been a member o, (I don't show that I was a midshipman in the NROTC or a Boy Scout) listing other military groups is somewhat helpful to see the perspective the person posting has. From AFJROTC to USAF to USCG AUX, or all the various other groups represented here.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

davidsinn

Quote from: thevoice on May 05, 2010, 05:34:17 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on May 05, 2010, 05:33:31 PM

Do you?

You didn't address any of my three points.

I'm not the one starting a thread with the specific intention of calling a cadet out in public which any good officer would know is not a good way to conduct business.

That said a little PM to the cadet in question could have fixed the few grammatical issues he had. I don't mind them listing other similar organizations they are a member of, it helps give the rest of us an understanding of where their thought process is coming from.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

People put stuff in their signatures for several reasons, one is to establish there "Bona Fides"  since there is no way we can all know each other on an electronic forum.  If you are reasonably truthful, it let's folks know what your experience level is so they can judge how much weight to give your opinion or argument.  I don't think anyone that's been in CAP or on CAPTALK for more than 5 minutes thinks this Cadet is the Cadet Commander of all CAP, but is in fact a C/SMSgt in CAP who's duty position is Cadet Commander.  Many people use their duty positions in their signature, with or without an identifying unit.  Most don't see this as a problem.  Another reason people put things in their signatures is that they are rightfully proud of their accomplishments, there is nothing wrong with tooting your own horn a little bit.

As to the Retired thing - who cares?  We all know no one actually retires from any JROTC program.  The fact that he has some knowledge of both JROTC programs and has held a staff position might give some weight to his writings.     

As for the Admirals, it was a bit of a running joke/project that some of us who have been here for a while participated in a couple of years ago.  We are now forming a Fleet Air Arm of the Nebraskan Navy.  As soon as our our new shallow draft aircraft carrier is launched, we are coming after the people with no sense of humor who don't think that being an Admiral in the Nebraskan Navy is an honor.  ;D >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 05, 2010, 05:51:43 PM
As soon as our our new shallow draft aircraft carrier is launched,

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

dwb

Hey thevoice, you forgot this:

AirAux

Me thinks Thevoice is jealous that no more Admiralty awards are given from the Navy of the great State of Nebraska and he missed his chance..  Tough muddbutts.  He also has missed the chance to be activated when and if Iran invades Nebraska..  Let's see what he has to say then..  Give me a poor misguided cadet any day over a vicious senior member that begrudges the joys of childhood..   

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

I'll kindly point to the membership code of conduct about attacks directed at individuals, both on and off the board, and lock this thread.

Stop being a troll.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP