Patches back on Air Force ABUs

Started by Stonewall, May 04, 2010, 12:23:38 AM

Should the AF return command & wing patches to the ABUs?

Yes
34 (50.7%)
No
33 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

wingnut55

Gads not another uniform thing  :P

tsrup

Anyone that thinks that the ACU and ABU patterns aren't effective should check out the Navy's new NWU's.....

Just realize that it could be worse.  Much much worse. 

Paramedic
hang-around.

SarDragon

The Navy's pattern does exactly what it is supposed to do. I don't see many sailors trying to hide out in trees or sand.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: tsrup on May 07, 2010, 05:38:14 AM
Anyone that thinks that the ACU and ABU patterns aren't effective should check out the Navy's new NWU's.....

Just realize that it could be worse.  Much much worse.
Or you could realize what it's actually intended for. It's a camo pattern with a different purpose.

tsrup

yeah yeah I know, to hide stains and such...

Or to blend in with the deck on the skippers hallway..

Paramedic
hang-around.

Hawk200

Quote from: tsrup on May 07, 2010, 05:50:43 AM
And what's wrong with that?

SarDragon

Skippers (and by extension ships) don't have hallways, they have passageways. And they usually have blue tile.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

bahahaha  :clap:

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Fuzzy

Coulden't they just resolve themselves not to be messy saliors?

The pattern looks ridiculous. The reason it hides Oil Stains and Paint is because it looks worse then them.

Just wear Gray BDU's or something and change them at out when they look bad.
C/Capt Semko

Rodriguez

Quote from: Fuzzy on May 07, 2010, 11:48:52 AM

The pattern looks ridiculous. The reason it hides Oil Stains and Paint is because it looks worse then them.

Because they can't. By the nature of their jobs sailors get stains and marks on their uniforms. If your in aircrew or maintinance your gonna get dirty simple as that. Its a great idea to make a uniform that hides most stains, it extends the use of the uniform. I think the Navy did well by the NWU. Its called "navy WORK uniform" its not intended to be a battle uniform. If a sailor is in some sort of combat arms job it is my understanding that they just wear some old DCUs or BDUs, or if they are attached to a Marine unit they wear MARPATs.

"change them out when they look bad"

...Yes, beacause we all have the money to be ordering uniforms left and right because theres tiny splats of oil, that are otherwise invisible unless your looking for them. Lets try some common sense...
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Krapenhoeffer

Quote from: Rodriguez on May 07, 2010, 02:19:01 PM
Quote from: Fuzzy on May 07, 2010, 11:48:52 AM

Because they can't. By the nature of their jobs sailors get stains and marks on their uniforms. If your in aircrew or maintinance your gonna get dirty simple as that. Its a great idea to make a uniform that hides most stains, it extends the use of the uniform. I think the Navy did well by the NWU. Its called "navy WORK uniform" its not intended to be a battle uniform. If a sailor is in some sort of combat arms job it is my understanding that they just wear some old DCUs or BDUs, or if they are attached to a Marine unit they wear MARPATs.

"change them out when they look bad"

...Yes, beacause we all have the money to be ordering uniforms left and right because theres tiny splats of oil, that are otherwise invisible unless your looking for them. Lets try some common sense...

From what I heard from my Navy friends, they have a woodland and desert version of the NWU. Granted, it's the same camouflage pattern as the MCCUUs, but "Navy-ized."
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

raivo

I've seen Navy officers wearing ACUs, which I thought was weird.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Strick

We need one Field uniform for all!!!!!!!   Ithink the AF should keep the wing patch
[darn]atio memoriae

Hawk200

Quote from: raivo on May 07, 2010, 04:22:29 PM
I've seen Navy officers wearing ACUs, which I thought was weird.
I've seen every branch of the military wearing ACUs. Most branches in person, others in photos. I guess it's a lot easier to get than some of the other branch utilities.

Quote from: Strick on May 07, 2010, 05:20:19 PM
We need one Field uniform for all!!!!!!!   Ithink the AF should keep the wing patch
Keep in mind that the Air Force wears their wing patch differently than we wore ours. An Air Force wing patch has a specific shape, and is on a different area on the uniform.

lordmonar

When I was AD I loved my ABU's because of the lack of patches and easy care.

Now that I am out...the can do what they want.....I don't really care.

If they do allow patches...it should be limited to just one unit patch.

Knowing that someone is in the 36th Communications Squadron is an important bit of information....but do you also need to know that he is with the 36th Air Wing and PACAF?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

heliodoc

Who's worrying about messy sailors?  CAP??

Anyone who been in the RM aviation maintenance field or even ground and weapons maintenance field is going to get MESSY!

CAPTalkers say what about messy?

The average CAPTalker here (unless they have been in the military) probable hasn't got a good picture what it is like tearing down a helo, an M1A1 tank, a HUMVEE, M249, M16, M4, M9, etc.....

Messy you say?  Hydraulic fluid, MIL 5606, MIL 23699, Aeroshell lube products, greases, trans fluid,  CLP , nasty dirty parts

Messy you say?  CAPTalkers need and an education on what makes a uniform messy and what the look like even after a few washings.  Some are still stained.  But we in RM know when to put a better uniform on when it is required....but thanks anyway, CAP, for your reminders on how we in the RM ought to be wearing our uniforms!!!

The military isn't always at some dog and pony show wearing their "Sunday best"  There doing what they do best!!!  Gettin dirty makin things run and flying..

Like Rodriguez says...like we all got money to be spending on uniforms left and right..

I will echo..........CAPers and especially CAPTalkers that think every day is a parade in the Blue and CSU's...GET some COMMON SENSE!

Hawk200

Quote from: heliodoc on May 07, 2010, 08:55:33 PM
Who's worrying about messy sailors?  CAP??

Anyone who been in the RM aviation maintenance field or even ground and weapons maintenance field is going to get MESSY!

CAPTalkers say what about messy?

The average CAPTalker here (unless they have been in the military) probable hasn't got a good picture what it is like tearing down a helo, an M1A1 tank, a HUMVEE, M249, M16, M4, M9, etc.....

Messy you say?  Hydraulic fluid, MIL 5606, MIL 23699, Aeroshell lube products, greases, trans fluid,  CLP , nasty dirty parts

Messy you say?  CAPTalkers need and an education on what makes a uniform messy and what the look like even after a few washings.  Some are still stained.  But we in RM know when to put a better uniform on when it is required....but thanks anyway, CAP, for your reminders on how we in the RM ought to be wearing our uniforms!!!

The military isn't always at some dog and pony show wearing their "Sunday best"  There doing what they do best!!!  Gettin dirty makin things run and flying..

Like Rodriguez says...like we all got money to be spending on uniforms left and right..

I will echo..........CAPers and especially CAPTalkers that think every day is a parade in the Blue and CSU's...GET some COMMON SENSE!
Many of the CapTalkers here that have been speaking on this are current or former military, myself included. We've been there, done that.

Correct that military personnel get dirty, but you will rarely find military personnel with the lackadaisical attitude that many CAPpers have concerning things like insignia placement, or proper accoutrements.

After finishing a messy job, my First Sergeant, commander, platoon Sergeant, or even my section leader are not going to be concerned about me having 23699 on my boots or proseal on my pants. No matter how dirty I am, they are going to be concerned about me not having my nametag, my pants unbloused, or wearing  unauthorized boots. Messy is part of the job, being in incomplete uniform is a job not being done right.

On the flip side, I've seen people wearing a uniform that would make a proud poster, but I wouldn't trust them to poor water out of a boot when the instructions were on the heal. The lack of competence can go both ways.

The original post was on people's opinions as to whether or not they think the AF should go back to patches on ABUs. Despite what the opinions here are, it doesn't really matter. The AF is not going to look at CAPTalk for input on uniform policy.

Dragon 3-2

I dont understand why most people are so against patches, I for one love my unit patch, my drill team patch and my COS patch because of the time and effort it took to earn them and in the case of the unit patch design and get approved. if you don't want  extra patches on your uniform....don't wear them simple as that, some of us like have something unique about our uniforms.

as far as ABU's  and patches, I'm all for it, but  only your units patch and your parent organizations patch, ie 27th FS wears their patch and that of the 1st FW. 1st FW wears the wing patch and  i think 1st AF or ACC patch, etc

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

Hawk200

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on May 10, 2010, 03:57:30 AM
I dont understand why most people are so against patches, I for one love my unit patch, my drill team patch and my COS patch because of the time and effort it took to earn them and in the case of the unit patch design and get approved. if you don't want  extra patches on your uniform....don't wear them simple as that, some of us like have something unique about our uniforms.
It's not entirely a hatred of patches, it's a hatred of excess patches. The Air Force wore three, at most. We currently have options for up to four. That's a lot.

Many people get stuck on patch collecting, with all kinds of ideas on just having so many mean.

Dragon 3-2

2 on the blouse, and the wing patch, where's the fourth? sorry brains a little fried from 12 hours working at IHOP lol

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team