Support my campaign to the USAFA

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM

EMT-83

^ That's why I post here anonymously.

The thought of someone doing a Google search and they find me on CAP Talk...   :)

Cecil DP

Quote from: bosshawk on April 27, 2010, 05:10:34 PM
There are several CTers who have stated that college admissions committees regularly review social media to see what some of their applicants are doing or have done.  I can't speak for Air Force or Navy, but I can tell you that West Point and its admissions committee simply does not have the time nor the inclination to do that.  This academic year we had over 12,000 files opened and somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6000 applications completed.  We will admit a class, in June, of about 1350-1375.  You do the math, the members of the admissions committee don't have the time to do that kind of research, when the candidate pool is so well-qualified.  In addition, the members of the admissions committee are full-time teachers.

No, but eventually the people who do security clearances will. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: thevoice on April 28, 2010, 10:00:39 PM
Quote from: Short Field on April 28, 2010, 09:55:36 PM
Quote from: Star-Maker on April 27, 2010, 02:29:22 PM
I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help. 
I never deal with anyone anymore without checking out their on-line presence.   It is rare that I find a on-line presence that significantly improves my opinion of them and more often lowers my opinion of them. 

Employers and school admission officers like to check for the wild party pics with the person getting blasted or holding drug paraphernalia.  One young Captain I know states on her Facebook profile that she is good in bed.  Not really the image she wants to portray.  You have very little to gain an a lot to lose.

Thought this was a good idea, so did a quick google search on Lt Col Mad Dog Lunsford.

http://www.wreckamovie.com/shots/show/4569

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446810.page;jsessionid=D4A73405931A3C816CBDFF331C882BFD#4166372

Curious if all the Nazi documentation he created is just a hobby or a political idea he supports?

Good luck getting into the Academy.

I found all that information by knowing his name and that he is from PA by looking him up on pipl.com.

The wreckamovie things is the most "[darn]ing" thing I found. The clan on EA.com for video games is roleplay, and is part of the FPS culture these days.

a2capt

Of course, there's the presumption that role play tends to parallel RL views where it can, too. That can be a detractor depending on whats going on.

Of course, this whole thing is the new world and the new world approach. So while it was different in the past, whatever they did back then isn't invalid, it's just a lot more complex.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on April 29, 2010, 07:00:33 PM
Of course, there's the presumption that role play tends to parallel RL views where it can, too. That can be a detractor depending on whats going on.

Of course, this whole thing is the new world and the new world approach. So while it was different in the past, whatever they did back then isn't invalid, it's just a lot more complex.

Not sure, but I think wreckamovie is something that is used to change up a movie plot to make it something else? This could easily be based on one of the recent movies about Nazi Germany.

Cadet Lunsford of course can explain it better for himself, since it's something that can come up within the interview process.

As for myself, I'm taking my citizenship oath on May 5th, so I guess there wasn't anything too bad in my records according to the FBI!

tdepp

Cadet Lunsford:

Did you talk to mom and dad about this Facebook thing before setting it up?  I'm guessing they would have said no, at least as to your current approach.  I appreciate the youthful enthusiasm to be admitted to the USAFA but a more serious approach might be more useful.  And I wouldn't assume that any US Senator or Representative is going to read your Facebook page.  Their aides, maybe, but our Congressmen and women are kind of busy making laws, going to hearings and meetings, dealing with constituents, and running for reelection.

I'd concentrate and grades, sports, community services.  I don't think some political mojo hurts but it's not required.  And as someone else pointed out, everyone knows a general.  I'm not a service academy graduate but I have had some friends attend.  They were selected because they were outstanding individuals.  I think it is a meritocracy to get in and very competitive.  Even if you don't get in, there is still the ROTC route in college.  Many great officers have gone through ROTC. 

You have set a high goal for yourself.  Talk to others who have been through the process and listen to their advice.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

C/MSgt Lunsford

I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help. 
I never deal with anyone anymore without checking out their on-line presence.   It is rare that I find a on-line presence that significantly improves my opinion of them and more often lowers my opinion of them. 

Employers and school admission officers like to check for the wild party pics with the person getting blasted or holding drug paraphernalia.  One young Captain I know states on her Facebook profile that she is good in bed.  Not really the image she wants to portray.  You have very little to gain an a lot to lose.

Thought this was a good idea, so did a quick google search on Lt Col Mad Dog Lunsford.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446810.page;jsessionid=D4A73405931A3C816CBDFF331C882BFD#4166372

Curious if all the Nazi documentation he created is just a hobby or a political idea he supports?

I'm working on a Video Game called: Iron Sky: Operation High Jump. The main character is a Petty Officer (Who's Character Bio I have help create) and the setting is Antartica. It is a Nazi based game, but they are the NPCs. This is a project I am working on to boost my Gaming Profile for Game Developers.

For the Realism Unit on Battlefield Bad Company 2, it is a Unit based off the 1st Cavalry Division. I play BFBC 2 during my free time and it is enjoyable.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

I am trying to remove the group. I am going to restart this. Any suggestions on how to get this started in a serious manner.

By the way, I am planning on joining the Army National Guard, serve for 2 1/2 years and then go to the Air Force Academy. Is this a bad idea? Or is it good to go with?

Wright Brothers #13915

DBlair

One thing I've noticed is that so many Cadets tend to shoot for the Academies as the only way to get a Commission. They seem to forget that ROTC and OCS are two other options, and the two most likely routes to becoming an Officer in the military.

I think it is great that so many want to attend the Academies, but they need to also have a fall back plan of ROTC or OCS if they are set on being a military Officer.

If they are hoping for the Academy due to it providing free college, they need to realize that ROTC provides the same, except that you get to have the best of both worlds- college life and military life. Another option that should not be ignored is joining the National Guard (Army or Air) as most states provide free tuition for a bachelor's degree at any state school.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

DBlair

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on May 01, 2010, 12:59:42 AM

By the way, I am planning on joining the Army National Guard, serve for 2 1/2 years and then go to the Air Force Academy. Is this a bad idea? Or is it good to go with?

I'm not sure about your specific state, but you might want to check to see if they provide free undergrad tution at a state school for members of your state's National Guard. If they are already joing to give you free college, why not do it that way? Also, any special reason why you are going Army (National Guard) and then going into the Air Force to be an officer? If you like the Army, why not just stay Army?

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: DBlair on May 01, 2010, 01:06:31 AM
One thing I've noticed is that so many Cadets tend to shoot for the Academies as the only way to get a Commission. They seem to forget that ROTC and OCS are two other options, and the two most likely routes to becoming an Officer in the military.

I think it is great that so many want to attend the Academies, but they need to also have a fall back plan of ROTC or OCS if they are set on being a military Officer.

If they are hoping for the Academy due to it providing free college, they need to realize that ROTC provides the same, except that you get to have the best of both worlds- college life and military life. Another option that should not be ignored is joining the National Guard (Army or Air) as most states provide free tuition for a bachelor's degree at any state school.
I have spent about 2 years thinking about ROTC and OCS... I've researched and read up on those two fine programs. But I feel that the USAFA will be a better thing for me to do. I want to play Lacrosse for the Falcons and join Jump Team.

Now the reason I am joining the Army National Guard when I turn 17, is because I want to get some Military Experience. After that go to the Air Force Academy and make a career of the Air Force. I had a long talk with the Army National Guard Recruiter of the Waynesboro Area of PA.

I am very serious about joining the Military, and I am starting to realize that this Facebook Group was not the best thing to do.

I am looking for suggestions, so if any could be provided, I would be very happy.

By the way, I am not some one who likes the Army, I want to make a career in Air Force OSS. I do want to work in the Pentagon some day.

Wright Brothers #13915

Майор Хаткевич

Why not do Air Guard instead? If you don't get an appointment while in high school, there is always a small chance to get in through the ranks.

What about the academy is more appealing than the ROTC/OCS routes?

The wisest choice some officers I know made was to go to a "normal" college when they realized Service Academy life just might not be for them.

tdepp

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on May 01, 2010, 12:54:21 AM

I'm working on a Video Game called: Iron Sky: Operation High Jump. The main character is a Petty Officer (Who's Character Bio I have help create) and the setting is Antartica. It is a Nazi based game, but they are the NPCs. This is a project I am working on to boost my Gaming Profile for Game Developers.

For the Realism Unit on Battlefield Bad Company 2, it is a Unit based off the 1st Cavalry Division. I play BFBC 2 during my free time and it is enjoyable.
If you're looking forward to a career in the military, politics, the Foreign Service, or a profession, I don't think being associated with a "Nazi based game" can do anything for you except cause problems.  The mere mention of the term "Nazi" sends up all sorts of red flags.  Your participation in the game is probably innocent but particularly to those of us a certain age, Nazi = ultimate evil.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

C/MSgt Lunsford

I understand the evils of Nazi Germany. But in no way am I related to the Nazi Party, never will be either.  :o

But if "they" have any problems with it, I'm sure I can explain.

Wright Brothers #13915

DBlair

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on May 01, 2010, 05:38:44 AM
I understand the evils of Nazi Germany. But in no way am I related to the Nazi Party, never will be either.  :o

But if "they" have any problems with it, I'm sure I can explain.

As someone involved with politics, trust me, you don't want to be in a situation where you have to spend time trying to explain things from you past. Even if it can be explained and may seem innocent, it is better to spend time discussing your positive attributes rather than controversial/questionable things from your past. Additionally, just the mere mention of something or the possibility of something being true is usually enough to turn someone off- you only get to make one first impression. Candidates and campaign staff go to a lot of trouble researching their opponent to see what dirt they can find in his/her past and then exploit it. You'd be amazed at the stuff people find. I know of one person who explains her job researching people and twisting it for PR as "internet raping" someone, which pretty much sums it up. Companies often do the same.

Even if you don't go into politics, just know that this applies for regular jobs and other things throughout life as well. A friend of mine was recently approached by his job regarding something seemingly innocent posted several years ago- he almost lost a pretty decent job because of it. It is a good habit to start thinking about things in terms of "If I do X, can this possibly be twisted against me someday?" If the answer is yes, you may want to think about it a bit more before doing it.

Just a suggestion...

C/MSgt Lunsford

I'll sleep on it.

Thanks for bringing that up. It is something I need to consider.

Wright Brothers #13915

raivo

To expand on something I said earlier... (warning: this is going to turn into an OPSEC lecture)

Your application package is where you want to put anything you need to "sell" to a senator/Congress-critter/admissions board. Nobody else needs to see it, and if I were you, I wouldn't want them to.

If you get commissioned, eventually, you're going to have to go to ECAC (Evasion and Conduct After Capture.) If you end up as an aircrew member or in Special Forces, you'll go to SERE (Survival/Evasion/Resistance/Escape.) I can't go into specifics, but put it this way: you do not want anything about your life to be available to the instructors who are going to be training you on how to resist interrogation.

And, by extension, if (God forbid) you're ever captured, the last thing you're going to want is for whoever's holding you captive to be able to see where you're from, that you were in Civil Air Patrol, and so forth. Just from that page, I was able to find your Facebook profile, pull up your friends list, and search it for people who share your last name. See where this is going?

Best of luck to you, but I really think this is not the best way to go at your goal.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."