Support my campaign to the USAFA

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM

C/MSgt Lunsford

It may be a few years away, but I am already hard at work. It is one of my goals to go to the Air Force Academy and earn my Commissioning in the United States Air Force.

I am turning my campaign to a public standpoint. For all those who would like to show your support, Join the Lunsford for USAF Academy 2012 Facebook group.

For all those in support, thanks, I'm going going to need it!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116900791667864

Wright Brothers #13915

Al Sayre

I'm sure that's going to go over real well with the folks at indoc...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM
Join the Lunsford for USAF Academy 2012 Facebook group.

VERY bad idea personal security wise to be listing your address on a face book page.  In fact you really should select a large city next to you and not even have your home town list.
You never know what lurks out there in the dark world of the internet that could harm you.
RM

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 25, 2010, 08:39:06 PM
I'm sure that's going to go over real well with the folks at indoc...
What?

The group thing was an idea from another Cadet, it is mostly for people I know, but I posted on here to see if I had support from anyone in CAP.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 25, 2010, 08:53:40 PM
Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM
Join the Lunsford for USAF Academy 2012 Facebook group.

VERY bad idea personal security wise to be listing your address on a face book page.  In fact you really should select a large city next to you and not even have your home town list.
You never know what lurks out there in the dark world of the internet that could harm you.
RM
Very good idea... I just changed that around.

Wright Brothers #13915

Pylon

Some tips.  Quotes from your FB page:

QuoteI am a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force - Civil Air Patrol.

You're not a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force so don't lead with that.  It smacks of pretendism.  You're a C/SSgt in Civil Air Patrol.  If you feel the need to include more, you could on first reference say something like "I am a C/SSgt in the Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force."

QuoteI am running for office in 2012 for the United States Air Force Academy.

You're not running for office.  You're competing for an appointment to the academy.  It's not an election, or a popularity contest. 

QuoteOffice: Lunsford-R 32nd District

I'm not sure if all the political jargon is an attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor, but you're not an elected official.  I'd leave this type of stuff off.

I think you obviously show a lot of motivation about your aspirations to attend the Air Force Academy.  If you think your page will get seen by people important to your admissions process (you did mention a past cadet who did this.  And you wouldn't be doing this if you didn't think the academy would see it, right?), then I would include a lot more content on:  why you want to attend the Air Force Academy, why you would be a good choice, what you can bring to the Air Force Academy, what your career aspirations are, etc.  Give the people reading the page a reason to consider you beyond the fact that you spent 15 minutes creating a FB page and populating it with photos of yourself.   

Consider ideas like a video about why you want to go to the Air Force Academy, or a video resume, or some sort of creative idea.  Consider posting notes on these topics, about why you want to go, quotes from Air Force leaders that you admire,  about your role models, career aspirations, etc.

Lastly, there are others around CAPTalk and CadetStuff who have been to the Air Force Academy.  I'd reach out to them and get their opinions and advice, for sure. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

Al Sayre

Some folks take what they read at face value.  Having a bunch of people writing stuff on your facebook page increases your public footprint.  Be very careful what you put out about yourself and your activities, and also what your friends (and enemies) put up about your activites.  You probably don't want the USAFA folks reading some joke your idiot buddy posted involving you, alcohol, illegal substances, and farm animals...  I'm just sayin'.  YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Pylon on April 25, 2010, 09:16:39 PM
Some tips.  Quotes from your FB page:

QuoteI am a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force - Civil Air Patrol.

You're not a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force so don't lead with that.  It smacks of pretendism.  You're a C/SSgt in Civil Air Patrol.  If you feel the need to include more, you could on first reference say something like "I am a C/SSgt in the Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force."

QuoteI am running for office in 2012 for the United States Air Force Academy.

You're not running for office.  You're competing for an appointment to the academy.  It's not an election, or a popularity contest. 

QuoteOffice: Lunsford-R 32nd District

I'm not sure if all the political jargon is an attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor, but you're not an elected official.  I'd leave this type of stuff off.

I think you obviously show a lot of motivation about your aspirations to attend the Air Force Academy.  If you think your page will get seen by people important to your admissions process (you did mention a past cadet who did this.  And you wouldn't be doing this if you didn't think the academy would see it, right?), then I would include a lot more content on:  why you want to attend the Air Force Academy, why you would be a good choice, what you can bring to the Air Force Academy, what your career aspirations are, etc.  Give the people reading the page a reason to consider you beyond the fact that you spent 15 minutes creating a FB page and populating it with photos of yourself.   

Consider ideas like a video about why you want to go to the Air Force Academy, or a video resume, or some sort of creative idea.  Consider posting notes on these topics, about why you want to go, quotes from Air Force leaders that you admire,  about your role models, career aspirations, etc.

Lastly, there are others around CAPTalk and CadetStuff who have been to the Air Force Academy.  I'd reach out to them and get their opinions and advice, for sure.
Thanks for the advice. I took the advice of changing the info on the page... I will continue to follow what you say. My page was set up to look like a political campaign kind of thing... that is what the vote 2012 thing is.

Wright Brothers #13915

JayT

I don't understand. Who is the audience for this? Did you get this idea from a CAP cadet or an USAFA cadet?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: JThemann on April 25, 2010, 10:16:51 PM
I don't understand. Who is the audience for this? Did you get this idea from a CAP cadet or an USAFA cadet?
CAP Cadet. The audience is supporters and anyone who looks at my Facebook from the Academy or Senators, etc.

Wright Brothers #13915

MSgt Van

United States Air Force - Cap? Really?
If I was on an acceptance board I would definitely take a facebook page devoted to a "pick me for the USAFA" campaign into consideration. Competition for an Academy spot is tough. They're looking for the brightest and most mature of our young people. What image are you projecting, "Mad Dog"?

Pumbaa

Get rid of the photshopped images.

Get some REAL photos of you, get some CAP photos of you.  Don't 'shop them into some funky poster art! If you want to be taken seriously then you need to put forth a serious effort and serious image.

If you are expecting senators to look at this and others, then you better make it look professional.  I will PM you FB profile.  I expect some employers to look at my profile and I make sure, there is nothing that would turn them off.

To be honest i would not take you seriously after looking at this profile.

Also use the notes to post your curriculum vitae.  What kind of grades you get, your activities, etc..
Now understand I am 48 years old, so what I can do is a little different than what you can.

BTW update your photo, you ain't no SGT in those!  not good english, but good theology...

Nathan

I know six cadets at the USAFA, and considered applying myself, so the following statement is pretty familiar to me when it comes to the admissions process...

"Everyone knows a general."

The idea is that everyone knows SOMEONE who's important in the USAF, or somebody who's famous, or has some connection to a Senator or something. And for the admissions process, it really doesn't matter. It matters how hard you work and what you do before applying. They want to see what kind of person you are, not what kind of people you know, or even what other people think of you.

I think that same philosophy can be applied here. How many fans you have on your page isn't likely to make a difference in the application process. At best, it might get a chuckle, and at worst, it's going to make you look like the kind of guy who think he's should get in because everyone else (who have likely never been to the USAFA or even the military) thinks you would be a good choice. It doesn't seem like a risk worth taking. Especially since, if you DO get in (based on how hard you've worked, not on your FB page), you're giving the cadre all the ammunition they need to come up with an endless number of nicknames...

If I were you, I wouldn't do it. If you do go through with it, then listen to the advice of other people who have spoken on it. Make yourself real, tell people WHY you're a good candidate, put some cool pictures up (of you doing cool things, not just of cool planes you like), and take yourself completely seriously. If you really want the admissions guys to look at this site as a good indication of the kind of cadet you will be, then take off every joke, every bit of sarcasm, every bit of exaggeration. If you're having a tough day, it is just as important to post that kind of information, and how you overcome it. You don't want to have ANYTHING on the page that suggests that it can't be used as a serious guide to who you are.

And, for what it's worth, there are much better ways to have a public, online presence than a Facebook fan page. If you want to become a public figure and use that on the USAFA application, then become a public figure for a REASON, rather than just by clicking a button. For instance, you can write articles on leadership, overcoming personal challenges, cadethood, and so forth. That way, not only do you get your wish of having an online presence that the USAFA can see, but it shows that you really mean it when you say that you understand leadership and discipline. They'd be able to just read it in your articles, and see that you're the real deal. Don't rely on the forums for this. Nobody's going to search through all your posts unless they're looking for reasons to find you saying something stupid. There are several good sites you can publish to. Helium.com is one that's free. There are others, which I'll let you find.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

bosshawk

Why don't you contact a representative of the AFA: you have one in your local area.  They are known as Academy Liaison Officers and they represent the Admissions Office of the Academy.  He/she can tell you what the requirements are for admission and for an appointment. 

I am one of those Academy Liaison Officers for the US Military Academy at West Point and I can tell you that the approach that you have outlined would not get you even a second look by West Point: in fact, it might be detrimental to your chances of admission.  Your application will be looked at from the following viewpoint: 60% academic(including SATs), 30% extracurricular activities and 10% physical.  If you are a recruited athlete, things change.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I would consider volunteering (NOT IN UNIFORM) for a candidate you believe in for Congress or Senate in the 2010 cycle. There is a clear political component in the nomination portion of the process.

adamblank

The best advice I can give:   Get the best grades possible, be active in sports teams, volunteer, and excel in Civil Air Patrol.  If you do that, there shouldn't be any problems with your resume.  :-)
Adam Brandao

Cecil DP

The thing I would advise you to do is contact the AFA Liason Officer for your area and your US Senators and Congressional Representitive. Let them know you're interested in a nomination to the USAFA and the other academies if the AFA is not available. Keep them informed of your activities, grades, and anything else that is beneficial. Facebook is not the way to get college. Communicating to those individuals already listed is what you want to do.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JayT

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
CAP Cadet. The audience is supporters and anyone who looks at my Facebook from the Academy or Senators, etc.

I'm obviously not at the Air Force Academy, but I am finishing my last year at school, and I can tell you getting nominated and/or accepted at any university is not a popularity contest. A lot of my buddies at work or in school who are going for advanced degrees (Pharm. Ds, MD/DO, or even RT, RN, AEMT-P, etc et) don't plan on a facebook page as part of their application. It's not a popularity contest. It's about great grades, good extracurricular activities, (for the Academies) playing a sport, and being able to present yourself well in an interview. Obviously we all support you getting into the USAFA, but us being a fan of it on facebook is not going to advance that process one iota.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Pylon

Quote from: JThemann on April 26, 2010, 04:47:44 AM
I'm obviously not at the Air Force Academy, but I am finishing my last year at school, and I can tell you getting nominated and/or accepted at any university is not a popularity contest. A lot of my buddies at work or in school who are going for advanced degrees (Pharm. Ds, MD/DO, or even RT, RN, AEMT-P, etc et) don't plan on a facebook page as part of their application. It's not a popularity contest. It's about great grades, good extracurricular activities, (for the Academies) playing a sport, and being able to present yourself well in an interview. Obviously we all support you getting into the USAFA, but us being a fan of it on facebook is not going to advance that process one iota.

Actually, I'd say that's bad information on the whole.  You can't make a sweeping generalization like that. Concepts like admissions videos have been around for well over a decade and have indeed influenced admissions committees.  Even world-class universities like Tufts have turned to places like Facebook and YouTube to see how their applicants stand out from the crowd. 

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2010/02/21/a_fresh_pitch_on_u_tube/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/education/23tufts.html

Since both of us have said, however, that we don't have particular experience with the Air Force Academy, (and since obviously they have their own culture and way of doing things) I think the most helpful thing Cadet Lunsford could do here is what has already been recommended: Talk to USAFA representatives, work on his whole admissions package, and speak with USAFA grads to get their input.   Making sweeping (and untrue) generalizations probably won't help him much.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DBlair

Wow, I'm not even sure where to start... First, a few comments, questions, and suggestions...

First of all, I commend you for wanting to serve in the military, and also for striving to attend the Air Force Academy. I know many Academy graduates and they were all outstanding applicants and ultimately outstanding officers. Likewise, as some of you may know, I'm very active politically, and I know many of these elected officials and what they/their appointment committees are going to be looking for. With this in mind, I'll start with the following...

- What is with the "Vote 2012" thing? You are not running for office and this is not a popularity contest. It makes you look immature and clueless as to how the appointment process works- not that this Facebook page doesn't overall, anyway. Not to mention, the Obama-esque photoshopping probably won't go over well. My honest suggestion: delete the page.

- Perhaps you can let us know what qualifies you to receive the appointment. What are some of your accomplishments, activities, involvement/community service, and other things that will set you apart from the many many people also competing for a spot?

- What is your physical fitness level like? What is your mile time and your 3 mile time? Do you play any sports?

- What are your grades/SATs like?

- Aren't you the Cadet who was saying that he couldn't participate in some aspects of encampment or the Cadet Program because of physical issues?

- How old are you and what grade are you in school?

- What have you accomplished thus far in the Cadet Program? Being a C/SSgt won't wow them when there are probably a ton of C/LtCols and C/Cols, and probably just as many Eagle Scouts competing for the same spot. My advice, get some diamonds on your collar.

- My Advice: Speak to USAFA representatives, liaison staff, and Academy graduates.

I commend you for trying to be creative, but this Facebook group just isn't going to work, especially as currently presented. Many of us here are more than willing to give you guidance and suggestions as to how to get an appointment, and so I urge you to take our suggestions and ask for other comments/suggestions as to what you can do to increase your chances. We all want you to succeed, so please don't think we are trying to tear you down. Rather, we want to help you succeed, and in that spirit you should consider the comments we make about this facebook page, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

raivo

All I'm gonna say is that the SERE instructors would have a field day.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JC004

baaaaad way to do this.  All the "vote" stuff and the photos make it sound really silly.  If you really want to have a Facebook page for this, take Pylon's advice to the letter.  There is no voting or campaigning to be done, so using that terminology makes it sound like a joke.

vmstan

I'm in the camp of "this is a really horrible idea, take it down now"

You're just asking for trouble.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Star-Maker

I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help.  This is likely to come across as desperate and presumptuous.

Have you considered creating a LinkedIn profile?  Not to get into the Academy specifically, but as part of having a positive online presence?  LinkedIn is a professionally-oriented site.
"The star-maker says 'It ain't so bad.'" - The Killers

GTL, GTM1, UDF, MRO

CUL(T), MS(T), MSA(T)

bosshawk

There are several CTers who have stated that college admissions committees regularly review social media to see what some of their applicants are doing or have done.  I can't speak for Air Force or Navy, but I can tell you that West Point and its admissions committee simply does not have the time nor the inclination to do that.  This academic year we had over 12,000 files opened and somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6000 applications completed.  We will admit a class, in June, of about 1350-1375.  You do the math, the members of the admissions committee don't have the time to do that kind of research, when the candidate pool is so well-qualified.  In addition, the members of the admissions committee are full-time teachers.

I think that this young man has gotten both good and bad advice about his plan to do a Facebook account to help him get into the AF Academy.  He is probably hiding behind a desk, with all of the shouting from us seniors.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Fifinella

Cadet Lunsford,

Nice initiative.  You are thinking creatively. 

I don't want to "dogpile on the rabbit".  I do recommend that if you decide to keep this page, you take Pylon's advice - think of this as an online resume, and revise accordingly.  Tip: there should be NO typos/spelling errors.  The AF is pretty keen on "attention to detail".  And, to clarify one detail, Academy classes are designated by the year they graduate, not the year they enter.  I suspect you really are interested in being accepted for the Class of 2016.

USAFA will probably not go looking for social media pages when they review your application.  But your congressperson/senator's staff might.  Just in case, you might want to review your CAPTalk signature block too.  I would recommend you delete USAF from it, and the "Maddog" moniker too.  Google yourself, and see if the hits that come up demonstrate a professional image.  If they don't, revise or delete them.

Regardless of your decision about maintaining this fb page, if your goal is to gain an appointment to USAFA, make sure you are very familiar w the admissions preparation guidelines listed at http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation.  Read the curriculum guidelines, and make sure you are taking appropriate classes.  Work on the recommended physical fitness areas.  Demonstrate leadership ability.  Since CAP is one of your chosen activities, advance as far as you can in Cadet Programs.  Promote, and earn positions of responsibility.  Prepare for the ACT/SAT.

As a quick guideline, here is some entry info on the Class of 2012 (9001 applicants, 1348 accepted):

Class Presidents – 10%, Varsity Letter – 1016, # 1 in class – 108
Average GPA – 3.86
Average SAT – 1305 (Verbal 600-680, Math 630-690)
Average ACT – English 29 (27-31), Math 29.7 (28-31),
   Science 29.1 (27-31), Reading 30 (28-32)

This is a big undertaking, but there are plenty of guidelines out there to, well, guide you.

Please feel free to stop by my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Judy-LaValley-ALO/107988119222810

Best of Luck ~ Major LaValley
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Thrashed

It takes a congressional nomination to get into the USAFA.  I won't list the personal qualifications that you need to compete. The list is too long.  Lose the website.  I'd deny you if I saw it. Talk to academy cadets and the USAFA people to get advice on how to get in.  Facebook will NOT help, it will hurt you.

Save the triangle thingy

AirAux

Having seen several of Cadet Lunsford's posts in the past, I think some of this was tongue in cheek and enthusiasm and that his facebook posting is more along the lines of motivation for him than anything else.  It does show intuitive which is a good thing and it does show an understanding of political endeavors, of which the academy appointment is utmost.  Do find yourself a likely winner in the next campaign and work hard for him so he will be willing to give you a nomination.  Without a Congressman's or Senator's nomination, you have nothing.  All of the good grades in the world don't make it without the nomination.  If the facebook stuff helps keep you motivated, go for it.  It's a whole new game out there and you young guys/girls are writing the rules..  Not that I necessarily like it but, it is what it is..

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: JThemann on April 26, 2010, 04:47:44 AM
Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 10:48:42 PM

Understand that I am not trying to make this a "popularity contest". This is pretty much a public profile for Senators, Boards, etc who will look at my Facebook profile.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/CMSgt

Quote from: Marshalus on April 27, 2010, 12:52:07 AM
I'm in the camp of "this is a really horrible idea, take it down now"

You're just asking for trouble.

As bad and cruel it may sound, I agree 100% with this.

C/MSgt Lunsford

I know I need a Congressional or Presidential Nomination to be considered for the USAFA, that is what I am working on now.

I will be taking many ideas that were posted and fullfilling them.

Thanks for those who have suggested ideas.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: bosshawk on April 27, 2010, 05:10:34 PM
There are several CTers who have stated that college admissions committees regularly review social media to see what some of their applicants are doing or have done.  I can't speak for Air Force or Navy, but I can tell you that West Point and its admissions committee simply does not have the time nor the inclination to do that.  This academic year we had over 12,000 files opened and somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6000 applications completed.  We will admit a class, in June, of about 1350-1375.  You do the math, the members of the admissions committee don't have the time to do that kind of research, when the candidate pool is so well-qualified.  In addition, the members of the admissions committee are full-time teachers.

I think that this young man has gotten both good and bad advice about his plan to do a Facebook account to help him get into the AF Academy.  He is probably hiding behind a desk, with all of the shouting from us seniors.

I am mature enough to intake all the constructive criticism. All this facebook page is for, is to put myself out there,  and to gain support from my friends, family, and CAP.

I don't fairly see anything wrong with this Facebook group I have started but... I see were some people are coming from.

Wright Brothers #13915

Nathan

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 28, 2010, 09:32:45 PM
I don't fairly see anything wrong with this Facebook group I have started but... I see were some people are coming from.

Have you run this page by any current USAFA cadets and gotten their opinion on it? That might be the safest way to deal with this if you want a current perspective on whether or not it will be a good move.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Short Field

Quote from: Star-Maker on April 27, 2010, 02:29:22 PM
I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help. 
I never deal with anyone anymore without checking out their on-line presence.   It is rare that I find a on-line presence that significantly improves my opinion of them and more often lowers my opinion of them. 

Employers and school admission officers like to check for the wild party pics with the person getting blasted or holding drug paraphernalia.  One young Captain I know states on her Facebook profile that she is good in bed.  Not really the image she wants to portray.  You have very little to gain an a lot to lose.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

thevoice

Quote from: Short Field on April 28, 2010, 09:55:36 PM
I can understand wanting to have a good online presence, since college admissions committees do search applicants online to see what they have out there.  But your online presence can hurt as well as help. 
I never deal with anyone anymore without checking out their on-line presence.   It is rare that I find a on-line presence that significantly improves my opinion of them and more often lowers my opinion of them. 

Employers and school admission officers like to check for the wild party pics with the person getting blasted or holding drug paraphernalia.  One young Captain I know states on her Facebook profile that she is good in bed.  Not really the image she wants to portray.  You have very little to gain an a lot to lose.

Thought this was a good idea, so did a quick google search on Lt Col Mad Dog Lunsford.

http://www.wreckamovie.com/shots/show/4569

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446810.page;jsessionid=D4A73405931A3C816CBDFF331C882BFD#4166372

Curious if all the Nazi documentation he created is just a hobby or a political idea he supports?

Good luck getting into the Academy.

RobertAmphibian

I'm a long time lurker, but something about this thread made me eager to register and comment.  Sgt Lunsford, I'm in the same boat as you as far as being a cadet wanting to attend a service academy. Here are my comments:

I think we all appreciate the "campaign" element of your page is tongue in cheek. (good work on removing the pictures, by the way) However, it makes it look like you have no actual knowledge of the process. BTW, you misspelled Congressional among other errors. From my limited understanding of the service academy application process, it seems kind of ridiculous to worry about the nomination more than anything else at this point. Can you even get a nomination until your senior year?
Also, the things anybody outside of CAP are going to care about in regards to your CAP career are a)what your last grade was (and your milestones) and b)leadership positions you've held, activities you've attended, etc. Anybody on an admissions board can figure out that if you achieve your Mitchell, you were a C/SrA some time ago. 

What it boils down to is getting attention, but the RIGHT kind of attention. If somebody can google you and find ties to Nazi characters you created in a video game and find quotes of you talking casually about Human Experiments, that's probably not what you want as an online presence. Take everybody else's advice here and focus on school, sports and leadership. Ditch the facebook.

AirDX

Wow.  Lose the FB group.  And spell your name correctly in your profile, unless you actually have an umlaut over the u.  That's pure cute, and the AF doesn't do cute.

If you want to get in to an academy (and kudos for the thought and effort): Play a sport.  Or two.  Take AP classes.  Take all the math and science you can.  Get a good GPA.  Volunteer in the community (not just CAP).  Spend a couple hours a week shelving books at the public library, or at the food bank, or at the local hospital.  Excel in CAP.

All that will keep you pretty busy, but in the end, if you get what you want it's worth it.

Just in general for facebook users:

6 Career-Killing Facebook Mistakes

by Erin Joyce, Managing Editor
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
provided by

With more than 400 million active visitors, Facebook is arguably the most popular social networking site out there. And while the site is known for the casual social aspect, many users also use it as a professional networking tool. With that kind of reach, Facebook can be a valuable tool for connecting to former and current colleagues, clients and potential employers. In fact, surveys suggest that approximately 30% of employers are using Facebook to screen potential employees — even more than those who check LinkedIn, a strictly professional social networking site. Don't make these Facebook faux-pas — they might cost you a great opportunity.

1. Inappropriate Pictures

It may go without saying, but prospective employers or clients don't want to see pictures of you chugging a bottle of wine or dressed up for a night at the bar. Beyond the pictures you wouldn't want your grandparents to see, seemingly innocent pictures of your personal life will likely not help to support the persona you want to present in your professional life.

2. Complaining About Your Current Job
You've no doubt done this at least once. It could be a full note about how much you hate your office, or how incompetent your boss is, or it could be as innocent as a status update about how your coworker always shows up late. While everyone complains about work sometimes, doing so in a public forum where it can be found by others is not the best career move. Though it may seem innocent, it's not the kind of impression that sits well with a potential boss.
3. Providing Conflicting Information to Your Resume

If you say on your resume that your degree is from Harvard, but your Facebook profile says you went to UCLA, you're likely to be immediately cut from the interview list. Even if the conflict doesn't leave you looking better on your resume, disparities will make you look at worst like a liar, and at best careless.

4. Statuses You Wouldn't Want Your Boss to See
Everyone should know to avoid statuses like "Tom plans to call in sick tomorrow so he can get drunk on a Wednesday. Who cares that my big work project isn't done?" But you should also be aware of less flamboyant statuses like "Sarah is watching the gold medal hockey game online at her desk". Statuses that imply you are unreliable, deceitful, and basically anything that doesn't make you look as professional as you'd like, can seriously undermine your chances at landing that new job.

5. Not Understanding Your Security Settings

The security settings on Facebook have come a long way since the site started. It is now possible to customize lists of friends and decide what each list can and cannot see. However, many people do not fully understand these settings, or don't bother to check who has access to what. If you are going to use Facebook professionally, and even if you aren't, make sure you take the time to go through your privacy options. At the very least, your profile should be set so that people who are not your friend cannot see any of your pictures or information.

6. Losing by Association
You can't control what your friends post to your profile (although you can remove it once you see it), nor what they post to their own profiles or to those of mutual friends. If a potential client or employer sees those Friday night pictures your friend has tagged you in where he is falling down drunk, it reflects poorly on you, even if the picture of you is completely innocent. It's unfortunate, but we do judge others by the company they keep, at least to some extent. Take a look at everything connected to your profile, and keep an eye out for anything you wouldn't want to show your mother.

Facebook Can Help You Get Hired ... or Fired
The best advice is to lock down your personal profile so that only friends you approve can see anything on that profile. Then, create a second, public profile on Facebook purely for professional use. This profile functions like an online resume, and should only contain information you'd be comfortable telling your potential employer face to face. Having a social networking profile is a good thing — it presents you as technologically and professionally savvy. Just make sure your profile is helping to present your best side — not the side that got drunk at your buddy's New Year's party.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Short Field

^^^ Good advice.  I have nieces and nephews I don't "friend" because I don't want my friends to know I associate with that type of people.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

EMT-83

^ That's why I post here anonymously.

The thought of someone doing a Google search and they find me on CAP Talk...   :)

Cecil DP

Quote from: bosshawk on April 27, 2010, 05:10:34 PM

No, but eventually the people who do security clearances will. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: thevoice on April 28, 2010, 10:00:39 PM

Thought this was a good idea, so did a quick google search on Lt Col Mad Dog Lunsford.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446810.page;jsessionid=D4A73405931A3C816CBDFF331C882BFD#4166372

Curious if all the Nazi documentation he created is just a hobby or a political idea he supports?

I found all that information by knowing his name and that he is from PA by looking him up on pipl.com.

The wreckamovie things is the most "[darn]ing" thing I found. The clan on EA.com for video games is roleplay, and is part of the FPS culture these days.

a2capt

Of course, there's the presumption that role play tends to parallel RL views where it can, too. That can be a detractor depending on whats going on.

Of course, this whole thing is the new world and the new world approach. So while it was different in the past, whatever they did back then isn't invalid, it's just a lot more complex.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on April 29, 2010, 07:00:33 PM
Of course, there's the presumption that role play tends to parallel RL views where it can, too. That can be a detractor depending on whats going on.

Of course, this whole thing is the new world and the new world approach. So while it was different in the past, whatever they did back then isn't invalid, it's just a lot more complex.

Not sure, but I think wreckamovie is something that is used to change up a movie plot to make it something else? This could easily be based on one of the recent movies about Nazi Germany.

Cadet Lunsford of course can explain it better for himself, since it's something that can come up within the interview process.

As for myself, I'm taking my citizenship oath on May 5th, so I guess there wasn't anything too bad in my records according to the FBI!

tdepp

Cadet Lunsford:

Did you talk to mom and dad about this Facebook thing before setting it up?  I'm guessing they would have said no, at least as to your current approach.  I appreciate the youthful enthusiasm to be admitted to the USAFA but a more serious approach might be more useful.  And I wouldn't assume that any US Senator or Representative is going to read your Facebook page.  Their aides, maybe, but our Congressmen and women are kind of busy making laws, going to hearings and meetings, dealing with constituents, and running for reelection.

I'd concentrate and grades, sports, community services.  I don't think some political mojo hurts but it's not required.  And as someone else pointed out, everyone knows a general.  I'm not a service academy graduate but I have had some friends attend.  They were selected because they were outstanding individuals.  I think it is a meritocracy to get in and very competitive.  Even if you don't get in, there is still the ROTC route in college.  Many great officers have gone through ROTC. 

You have set a high goal for yourself.  Talk to others who have been through the process and listen to their advice.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

C/MSgt Lunsford

I'm working on a Video Game called: Iron Sky: Operation High Jump. The main character is a Petty Officer (Who's Character Bio I have help create) and the setting is Antartica. It is a Nazi based game, but they are the NPCs. This is a project I am working on to boost my Gaming Profile for Game Developers.

For the Realism Unit on Battlefield Bad Company 2, it is a Unit based off the 1st Cavalry Division. I play BFBC 2 during my free time and it is enjoyable.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

I am trying to remove the group. I am going to restart this. Any suggestions on how to get this started in a serious manner.

By the way, I am planning on joining the Army National Guard, serve for 2 1/2 years and then go to the Air Force Academy. Is this a bad idea? Or is it good to go with?

Wright Brothers #13915

DBlair

One thing I've noticed is that so many Cadets tend to shoot for the Academies as the only way to get a Commission. They seem to forget that ROTC and OCS are two other options, and the two most likely routes to becoming an Officer in the military.

I think it is great that so many want to attend the Academies, but they need to also have a fall back plan of ROTC or OCS if they are set on being a military Officer.

If they are hoping for the Academy due to it providing free college, they need to realize that ROTC provides the same, except that you get to have the best of both worlds- college life and military life. Another option that should not be ignored is joining the National Guard (Army or Air) as most states provide free tuition for a bachelor's degree at any state school.

DBlair

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on May 01, 2010, 12:59:42 AM

By the way, I am planning on joining the Army National Guard, serve for 2 1/2 years and then go to the Air Force Academy. Is this a bad idea? Or is it good to go with?

I'm not sure about your specific state, but you might want to check to see if they provide free undergrad tution at a state school for members of your state's National Guard. If they are already joing to give you free college, why not do it that way? Also, any special reason why you are going Army (National Guard) and then going into the Air Force to be an officer? If you like the Army, why not just stay Army?

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: DBlair on May 01, 2010, 01:06:31 AM
One thing I've noticed is that so many Cadets tend to shoot for the Academies as the only way to get a Commission. They seem to forget that ROTC and OCS are two other options, and the two most likely routes to becoming an Officer in the military.

I think it is great that so many want to attend the Academies, but they need to also have a fall back plan of ROTC or OCS if they are set on being a military Officer.

If they are hoping for the Academy due to it providing free college, they need to realize that ROTC provides the same, except that you get to have the best of both worlds- college life and military life. Another option that should not be ignored is joining the National Guard (Army or Air) as most states provide free tuition for a bachelor's degree at any state school.
I have spent about 2 years thinking about ROTC and OCS... I've researched and read up on those two fine programs. But I feel that the USAFA will be a better thing for me to do. I want to play Lacrosse for the Falcons and join Jump Team.

Now the reason I am joining the Army National Guard when I turn 17, is because I want to get some Military Experience. After that go to the Air Force Academy and make a career of the Air Force. I had a long talk with the Army National Guard Recruiter of the Waynesboro Area of PA.

I am very serious about joining the Military, and I am starting to realize that this Facebook Group was not the best thing to do.

I am looking for suggestions, so if any could be provided, I would be very happy.

By the way, I am not some one who likes the Army, I want to make a career in Air Force OSS. I do want to work in the Pentagon some day.

Wright Brothers #13915

Майор Хаткевич

Why not do Air Guard instead? If you don't get an appointment while in high school, there is always a small chance to get in through the ranks.

What about the academy is more appealing than the ROTC/OCS routes?

The wisest choice some officers I know made was to go to a "normal" college when they realized Service Academy life just might not be for them.

tdepp

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on May 01, 2010, 12:54:21 AM

I'm working on a Video Game called: Iron Sky: Operation High Jump. The main character is a Petty Officer (Who's Character Bio I have help create) and the setting is Antartica. It is a Nazi based game, but they are the NPCs. This is a project I am working on to boost my Gaming Profile for Game Developers.

For the Realism Unit on Battlefield Bad Company 2, it is a Unit based off the 1st Cavalry Division. I play BFBC 2 during my free time and it is enjoyable.
If you're looking forward to a career in the military, politics, the Foreign Service, or a profession, I don't think being associated with a "Nazi based game" can do anything for you except cause problems.  The mere mention of the term "Nazi" sends up all sorts of red flags.  Your participation in the game is probably innocent but particularly to those of us a certain age, Nazi = ultimate evil.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

C/MSgt Lunsford

I understand the evils of Nazi Germany. But in no way am I related to the Nazi Party, never will be either.  :o

But if "they" have any problems with it, I'm sure I can explain.

Wright Brothers #13915

DBlair

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on May 01, 2010, 05:38:44 AM
I understand the evils of Nazi Germany. But in no way am I related to the Nazi Party, never will be either.  :o

But if "they" have any problems with it, I'm sure I can explain.

As someone involved with politics, trust me, you don't want to be in a situation where you have to spend time trying to explain things from you past. Even if it can be explained and may seem innocent, it is better to spend time discussing your positive attributes rather than controversial/questionable things from your past. Additionally, just the mere mention of something or the possibility of something being true is usually enough to turn someone off- you only get to make one first impression. Candidates and campaign staff go to a lot of trouble researching their opponent to see what dirt they can find in his/her past and then exploit it. You'd be amazed at the stuff people find. I know of one person who explains her job researching people and twisting it for PR as "internet raping" someone, which pretty much sums it up. Companies often do the same.

Even if you don't go into politics, just know that this applies for regular jobs and other things throughout life as well. A friend of mine was recently approached by his job regarding something seemingly innocent posted several years ago- he almost lost a pretty decent job because of it. It is a good habit to start thinking about things in terms of "If I do X, can this possibly be twisted against me someday?" If the answer is yes, you may want to think about it a bit more before doing it.

Just a suggestion...

C/MSgt Lunsford

I'll sleep on it.

Thanks for bringing that up. It is something I need to consider.

Wright Brothers #13915

raivo

To expand on something I said earlier... (warning: this is going to turn into an OPSEC lecture)

Your application package is where you want to put anything you need to "sell" to a senator/Congress-critter/admissions board. Nobody else needs to see it, and if I were you, I wouldn't want them to.

If you get commissioned, eventually, you're going to have to go to ECAC (Evasion and Conduct After Capture.) If you end up as an aircrew member or in Special Forces, you'll go to SERE (Survival/Evasion/Resistance/Escape.) I can't go into specifics, but put it this way: you do not want anything about your life to be available to the instructors who are going to be training you on how to resist interrogation.

And, by extension, if (God forbid) you're ever captured, the last thing you're going to want is for whoever's holding you captive to be able to see where you're from, that you were in Civil Air Patrol, and so forth. Just from that page, I was able to find your Facebook profile, pull up your friends list, and search it for people who share your last name. See where this is going?

Best of luck to you, but I really think this is not the best way to go at your goal.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."