Support my campaign to the USAFA

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM

C/MSgt Lunsford

It may be a few years away, but I am already hard at work. It is one of my goals to go to the Air Force Academy and earn my Commissioning in the United States Air Force.

I am turning my campaign to a public standpoint. For all those who would like to show your support, Join the Lunsford for USAF Academy 2012 Facebook group.

For all those in support, thanks, I'm going going to need it!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116900791667864

Wright Brothers #13915

Al Sayre

I'm sure that's going to go over real well with the folks at indoc...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM
Join the Lunsford for USAF Academy 2012 Facebook group.

VERY bad idea personal security wise to be listing your address on a face book page.  In fact you really should select a large city next to you and not even have your home town list.
You never know what lurks out there in the dark world of the internet that could harm you.
RM

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 25, 2010, 08:39:06 PM
I'm sure that's going to go over real well with the folks at indoc...
What?

The group thing was an idea from another Cadet, it is mostly for people I know, but I posted on here to see if I had support from anyone in CAP.

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 25, 2010, 08:53:40 PM
Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 08:19:18 PM
Join the Lunsford for USAF Academy 2012 Facebook group.

VERY bad idea personal security wise to be listing your address on a face book page.  In fact you really should select a large city next to you and not even have your home town list.
You never know what lurks out there in the dark world of the internet that could harm you.
RM
Very good idea... I just changed that around.

Wright Brothers #13915

Pylon

Some tips.  Quotes from your FB page:

QuoteI am a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force - Civil Air Patrol.

You're not a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force so don't lead with that.  It smacks of pretendism.  You're a C/SSgt in Civil Air Patrol.  If you feel the need to include more, you could on first reference say something like "I am a C/SSgt in the Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force."

QuoteI am running for office in 2012 for the United States Air Force Academy.

You're not running for office.  You're competing for an appointment to the academy.  It's not an election, or a popularity contest. 

QuoteOffice: Lunsford-R 32nd District

I'm not sure if all the political jargon is an attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor, but you're not an elected official.  I'd leave this type of stuff off.

I think you obviously show a lot of motivation about your aspirations to attend the Air Force Academy.  If you think your page will get seen by people important to your admissions process (you did mention a past cadet who did this.  And you wouldn't be doing this if you didn't think the academy would see it, right?), then I would include a lot more content on:  why you want to attend the Air Force Academy, why you would be a good choice, what you can bring to the Air Force Academy, what your career aspirations are, etc.  Give the people reading the page a reason to consider you beyond the fact that you spent 15 minutes creating a FB page and populating it with photos of yourself.   

Consider ideas like a video about why you want to go to the Air Force Academy, or a video resume, or some sort of creative idea.  Consider posting notes on these topics, about why you want to go, quotes from Air Force leaders that you admire,  about your role models, career aspirations, etc.

Lastly, there are others around CAPTalk and CadetStuff who have been to the Air Force Academy.  I'd reach out to them and get their opinions and advice, for sure. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

Al Sayre

Some folks take what they read at face value.  Having a bunch of people writing stuff on your facebook page increases your public footprint.  Be very careful what you put out about yourself and your activities, and also what your friends (and enemies) put up about your activites.  You probably don't want the USAFA folks reading some joke your idiot buddy posted involving you, alcohol, illegal substances, and farm animals...  I'm just sayin'.  YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Pylon on April 25, 2010, 09:16:39 PM
Some tips.  Quotes from your FB page:

QuoteI am a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force - Civil Air Patrol.

You're not a C/SSgt in the United States Air Force so don't lead with that.  It smacks of pretendism.  You're a C/SSgt in Civil Air Patrol.  If you feel the need to include more, you could on first reference say something like "I am a C/SSgt in the Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force."

QuoteI am running for office in 2012 for the United States Air Force Academy.

You're not running for office.  You're competing for an appointment to the academy.  It's not an election, or a popularity contest. 

QuoteOffice: Lunsford-R 32nd District

I'm not sure if all the political jargon is an attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor, but you're not an elected official.  I'd leave this type of stuff off.

I think you obviously show a lot of motivation about your aspirations to attend the Air Force Academy.  If you think your page will get seen by people important to your admissions process (you did mention a past cadet who did this.  And you wouldn't be doing this if you didn't think the academy would see it, right?), then I would include a lot more content on:  why you want to attend the Air Force Academy, why you would be a good choice, what you can bring to the Air Force Academy, what your career aspirations are, etc.  Give the people reading the page a reason to consider you beyond the fact that you spent 15 minutes creating a FB page and populating it with photos of yourself.   

Consider ideas like a video about why you want to go to the Air Force Academy, or a video resume, or some sort of creative idea.  Consider posting notes on these topics, about why you want to go, quotes from Air Force leaders that you admire,  about your role models, career aspirations, etc.

Lastly, there are others around CAPTalk and CadetStuff who have been to the Air Force Academy.  I'd reach out to them and get their opinions and advice, for sure.
Thanks for the advice. I took the advice of changing the info on the page... I will continue to follow what you say. My page was set up to look like a political campaign kind of thing... that is what the vote 2012 thing is.

Wright Brothers #13915

JayT

I don't understand. Who is the audience for this? Did you get this idea from a CAP cadet or an USAFA cadet?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: JThemann on April 25, 2010, 10:16:51 PM
I don't understand. Who is the audience for this? Did you get this idea from a CAP cadet or an USAFA cadet?
CAP Cadet. The audience is supporters and anyone who looks at my Facebook from the Academy or Senators, etc.

Wright Brothers #13915

MSgt Van

United States Air Force - Cap? Really?
If I was on an acceptance board I would definitely take a facebook page devoted to a "pick me for the USAFA" campaign into consideration. Competition for an Academy spot is tough. They're looking for the brightest and most mature of our young people. What image are you projecting, "Mad Dog"?

Pumbaa

Get rid of the photshopped images.

Get some REAL photos of you, get some CAP photos of you.  Don't 'shop them into some funky poster art! If you want to be taken seriously then you need to put forth a serious effort and serious image.

If you are expecting senators to look at this and others, then you better make it look professional.  I will PM you FB profile.  I expect some employers to look at my profile and I make sure, there is nothing that would turn them off.

To be honest i would not take you seriously after looking at this profile.

Also use the notes to post your curriculum vitae.  What kind of grades you get, your activities, etc..
Now understand I am 48 years old, so what I can do is a little different than what you can.

BTW update your photo, you ain't no SGT in those!  not good english, but good theology...

Nathan

I know six cadets at the USAFA, and considered applying myself, so the following statement is pretty familiar to me when it comes to the admissions process...

"Everyone knows a general."

The idea is that everyone knows SOMEONE who's important in the USAF, or somebody who's famous, or has some connection to a Senator or something. And for the admissions process, it really doesn't matter. It matters how hard you work and what you do before applying. They want to see what kind of person you are, not what kind of people you know, or even what other people think of you.

I think that same philosophy can be applied here. How many fans you have on your page isn't likely to make a difference in the application process. At best, it might get a chuckle, and at worst, it's going to make you look like the kind of guy who think he's should get in because everyone else (who have likely never been to the USAFA or even the military) thinks you would be a good choice. It doesn't seem like a risk worth taking. Especially since, if you DO get in (based on how hard you've worked, not on your FB page), you're giving the cadre all the ammunition they need to come up with an endless number of nicknames...

If I were you, I wouldn't do it. If you do go through with it, then listen to the advice of other people who have spoken on it. Make yourself real, tell people WHY you're a good candidate, put some cool pictures up (of you doing cool things, not just of cool planes you like), and take yourself completely seriously. If you really want the admissions guys to look at this site as a good indication of the kind of cadet you will be, then take off every joke, every bit of sarcasm, every bit of exaggeration. If you're having a tough day, it is just as important to post that kind of information, and how you overcome it. You don't want to have ANYTHING on the page that suggests that it can't be used as a serious guide to who you are.

And, for what it's worth, there are much better ways to have a public, online presence than a Facebook fan page. If you want to become a public figure and use that on the USAFA application, then become a public figure for a REASON, rather than just by clicking a button. For instance, you can write articles on leadership, overcoming personal challenges, cadethood, and so forth. That way, not only do you get your wish of having an online presence that the USAFA can see, but it shows that you really mean it when you say that you understand leadership and discipline. They'd be able to just read it in your articles, and see that you're the real deal. Don't rely on the forums for this. Nobody's going to search through all your posts unless they're looking for reasons to find you saying something stupid. There are several good sites you can publish to. Helium.com is one that's free. There are others, which I'll let you find.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

bosshawk

Why don't you contact a representative of the AFA: you have one in your local area.  They are known as Academy Liaison Officers and they represent the Admissions Office of the Academy.  He/she can tell you what the requirements are for admission and for an appointment. 

I am one of those Academy Liaison Officers for the US Military Academy at West Point and I can tell you that the approach that you have outlined would not get you even a second look by West Point: in fact, it might be detrimental to your chances of admission.  Your application will be looked at from the following viewpoint: 60% academic(including SATs), 30% extracurricular activities and 10% physical.  If you are a recruited athlete, things change.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I would consider volunteering (NOT IN UNIFORM) for a candidate you believe in for Congress or Senate in the 2010 cycle. There is a clear political component in the nomination portion of the process.

adamblank

The best advice I can give:   Get the best grades possible, be active in sports teams, volunteer, and excel in Civil Air Patrol.  If you do that, there shouldn't be any problems with your resume.  :-)
Adam Brandao

Cecil DP

The thing I would advise you to do is contact the AFA Liason Officer for your area and your US Senators and Congressional Representitive. Let them know you're interested in a nomination to the USAFA and the other academies if the AFA is not available. Keep them informed of your activities, grades, and anything else that is beneficial. Facebook is not the way to get college. Communicating to those individuals already listed is what you want to do.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JayT

Quote from: C/SSgt Lunsford on April 25, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
Quote from: JThemann on April 25, 2010, 10:16:51 PM
CAP Cadet. The audience is supporters and anyone who looks at my Facebook from the Academy or Senators, etc.

I'm obviously not at the Air Force Academy, but I am finishing my last year at school, and I can tell you getting nominated and/or accepted at any university is not a popularity contest. A lot of my buddies at work or in school who are going for advanced degrees (Pharm. Ds, MD/DO, or even RT, RN, AEMT-P, etc et) don't plan on a facebook page as part of their application. It's not a popularity contest. It's about great grades, good extracurricular activities, (for the Academies) playing a sport, and being able to present yourself well in an interview. Obviously we all support you getting into the USAFA, but us being a fan of it on facebook is not going to advance that process one iota.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."