So, I need help with a problem at my squadron.......

Started by AACS Cadet21, January 29, 2014, 12:02:06 AM

AACS Cadet21

This is a long story so grab a seat.

There is a new trimester starting at my squadron. I applied for flight sgt. So a few days before staff were to be chosen, I exchanged a few emails with the CC (cadet commander). Last month, because of the holiday, there was no squadron promotion ceremony. I promoted in Dec.  I'll promote again next month. Anyways, since I didn't have a ceremony last month, the CC just decided to have the ceremony this month. Now, I already have my insignia & ribbon because I was going to a winter encampment. So, to avoid any possible confusion about me promoting too quickly, I asked him if, according to squadron regulation, I had to have a ceremony. Keep in mind, he sometimes has a tendancy to take things the wrong way. Anyways, he took that as a flaw in my leadership and confidence. He took that as me refusing to have the ceremony(which I wasn't). His words were, "If you can't get up in front of the squadron I won't even consider you for staff." It wasn't that I didn't want to go up in front of the squadron, I just wanted to avoid confusion. Now, because of this, the flight sgt. position that I requested is going to a cadet with less expierience than myself. The CC doesn't know me, he doesn't know my leadership ability. I can confidently say that if any of the other officers who DO know my leadership abily were the CC, then I'd get pretty much any position I asked for. Back to the deal with the CC. What, if anything, should I do?

Eclipse

Cadet Commander is C/CC.

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 12:02:06 AMI just wanted to avoid confusion.

How's that working out for you?

Moral.  Don't try and do other people's jobs, go with the flow when leaders make decisions, and it sounds like your cadet staff need to
worry about things that actually matter.

What you should do at this point is FIMO.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

First of all, the Cadet Commander has no authority to select a staff other than that delegated by the Squadron Commander and/or Deputy Commander for Cadets. They are also the ones who have the authority to promote; not the Cadet Commander. While a promotion ceremony is appropriate and should be done whenever possible, it is not a requirement. You are promoted once your new grade is approved in eServices. That does not preclude you from having a promotion ceremony at a later time, however your promotion is effective when it is approved in eServices.

If you are having issues with the Cadet Commander, I recommend that you discuss the issue with him first, as a courtesy. However, you are perfectly within your right to go to the Deputy Commander for Cadets and/or Squadron Commander, if you cannot get your issue resolved. After all, they are the ones with the proper authority.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2014, 12:10:20 AM
Cadet Commander is C/CC.

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 12:02:06 AMI just wanted to avoid confusion.

Moral.  Don't try and do other people's jobs, go with the flow when leaders make decisions, and it sounds like your cadet staff need to

FIMO?

JeffDG

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 12:14:17 AM
Cadet Commander is C/CC.

FIMO?
Forget It, Move On

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 29, 2014, 12:11:15 AM
First of all, the Cadet Commander has no authority to select a staff other than that delegated by the Squadron Commander and/or Deputy Commander for Cadets. They are also the ones who have the authority to promote; not the Cadet Commander. While a promotion ceremony is appropriate and should be done whenever possible, it is not a requirement. You are promoted once your new grade is approved in eServices. That does not preclude you from having a promotion ceremony at a later time, however your promotion is effective when it is approved in eServices.

If you are having issues with the Cadet Commander, I recommend that you discuss the issue with him first, as a courtesy. However, you are perfectly within your right to go to the Deputy Commander for Cadets and/or Squadron Commander, if you cannot get your issue resolved. After all, they are the ones with the proper authority.

It's not really in issue with promotions, it's more with him thinking that I'm too shy and underconfindent to go up in front of the squ. to be reconized.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: JeffDG on January 29, 2014, 12:15:38 AM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 12:14:17 AM
Cadet Commander is C/CC.

FIMO?
Forget It, Move On

Will do.

a2capt

If just that one simple statement caused the whole thing to go out of proportion, as you say ..

This will not be the only thing you will encounter in the mis-understanding/interpretation category.

Now, for some commentary:

Pinning and date of rank are typically not the same. You earned the promotion, the unit likes to recognize it, they didn't get it done, so they scheduled it later.

I'd bet that you were not the first, and that you've even witnessed others. Keep in mind that they can't occur any faster than 58 days for non-exception'ed cadets, so if you got two "close" this time, it's still going to be about the right interval for the next one.

If anyone sitting in the audience is questioning your stripes at the time of pinning, but not that you've been to several meetings with them already, they're not paying attention anyway.

Offer to do an AE Current Events briefing, or something similar, but not blatantly saying "see, I'm not afraid of standing up here".. but the action in and of itself should counter that other, perhaps almost as stupid-simply, since you indicate it took just one sentence to send the whole thing off the rails in the first place.

NEBoom

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 12:15:45 AM
It's not really in issue with promotions, it's more with him thinking that I'm too shy and underconfindent to go up in front of the squ. to be reconized.

...and by extension that you're too "shy and underconfident" to lead, correct?

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be an introverted type?  I ask because I am too and it can affect peoples perceptions.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: NEBoom on January 29, 2014, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 12:15:45 AM

...and by extension that you're too "shy and underconfident" to lead, correct?

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be an introverted type?  I ask because I am too and it can affect peoples perceptions.

Well, I may seem that way to him. But then, he hasn't seen me yell at flights   ;D

JeffDG

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 01:22:51 AM
Well, I may seem that way to him. But then, he hasn't seen me yell at flights   ;D
Curious...can you run these questions...
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp
It might give you some insight into your personality type.  And just so you don't think I'm prying without giving, I'm a strong Introvert, full is INTJ.

So, for example, you can see some attributes by personality type...mine for example says:
QuoteINTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.
INTJs spend a lot of time inside their own minds, and may have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings. Unless their Feeling side is developed, they may have problems giving other people the level of intimacy that is needed. Unless their Sensing side is developed, they may have a tendency to ignore details which are necessary for implementing their ideas.
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

Introverts have different ways of dealing with people, and that sometimes confuses extroverts...but then again, I often feel overwhelmed by strong extroverts.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: JeffDG on January 29, 2014, 02:00:02 AM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 29, 2014, 01:22:51 AM
Curious...can you run these questions...
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp
It might give you some insight into your personality type.  And just so you don't think I'm prying without giving, I'm a strong Introvert, full is INTJ.

So, for example, you can see some attributes by personality type...mine for example says:
QuoteINTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.
INTJs spend a lot of time inside their own minds, and may have little interest in the other people's thoughts or feelings. Unless their Feeling side is developed, they may have problems giving other people the level of intimacy that is needed. Unless their Sensing side is developed, they may have a tendency to ignore details which are necessary for implementing their ideas.
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html

Introverts have different ways of dealing with people, and that sometimes confuses extroverts...but then again, I often feel overwhelmed by strong extroverts.

Took the test. I'm INTJ too.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

People need to spend way less time up in their heads...

Your overthinking things caused the comment, the C/CC's overthinking things caused the improper reaction.

There's no such thing as "promoting too fast", the system doesn't allow it.  FIMO.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shawn W.

I've known too many leaders like this. They know everything and don't confuse them with the facts. I think I am in Eclipse's camp on this one.. FIMO.  There will be other times and places to show that you are a star. Utill then, kill your c/cc with kindness and put 110% into your current job/position. Someone down the road will recognize your potential.

Good Luck

JeffDG

First off:  Don't think introversion is a problem.  It's not...it's just how you're wired to interact with the world.

It's true that modern society tends to reward extroversion in many ways.  Understand the differences, and learn to play to your strengths and present yourself well...

Incredibly interesting lecture on "The Power of Introverts" that I recommend to everyone:  http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html

Майор Хаткевич

ENTJ
Extravert(78%)  iNtuitive(88%)  Thinking(12%)  Judging(44%)
You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (78%)
You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

Storm Chaser

The point that I wasn't trying to make earlier is that way too often, the cadet leadership tends to overstep the boundaries of their authority. A cadet commander is not a unit commander and has no command authority within CAP, to include making duty assignments or approving promotions. They make recommendations that still need to by approve by the unit commander or deputy commander for cadets, as appropriate.

a2capt

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: Shawn W. on January 29, 2014, 04:40:33 PM
I've known too many leaders like this. They know everything and don't confuse them with the facts. I think I am in Eclipse's camp on this one.. FIMO.  There will be other times and places to show that you are a star. Utill then, kill your c/cc with kindness and put 110% into your current job/position. Someone down the road will recognize your potential.

Good Luck

Ok. Thanks!  :clap: :)