Satisfactory Cadet Progression

Started by a2capt, October 03, 2013, 09:36:18 PM

MacGruff

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 05:29:43 AM

The sad fact is that we are so undermanned that the extra experience the average cadet would get being in
a grade longer winds up being just that, time, with little else to show for it.

Are we undermanned?

To me, asking that question implies that we are always turning away missions because we cannot do them. With the three missions that we have, which one are we turning away?

My personal observation is as follows:

• Cadet programs - we meet weekly and work with the cadets regularly. Nothing is being skipped and we're even adding weekend special activities to the point where we have stuff happening on at least two weekends a month.
  • Aerospace Education - Do it with the cadets regularly and are available to any local school or organization that wants us to come. I have not seen us turn away a request yet, but on the other hand, there have not been more than one or two over the past year.
  • Search and Rescue - we've been activated twice this year and went out when called.

What part of that shows undermanning?  Maybe the real problem is that we really do not have all the major missions these days? From reading CAPTalk, I see lots of bemoaning of doing less and less SAR...

RiverAux

CAP is most certainly undermanned in terms of active staff officers at all levels and at least as far as SAR goes is undermanned in several areas, most notably mission pilots (as evidenced if you have access to the "Commanders Dashboard" on eservices). 

In cadet programs most squadrons probably don't have nearly as many cadets as they need to really teach leadership concepts at all levels.  Best guess is that 30+ cadets would be nearly ideal. 

Майор Хаткевич

30+ attending. Seems most units with close to 60 get near the 30 attendance. Of course with 30 cadets attending I would say you need at least 4 CP officers, preferably 5-6 minimum.

lordmonar

And that's the rub of the cadet program.

With most units well below the 30 active cadets.....how are we really providing the right leadership opportunities for our cadets?

One of the things we need to really look at next time we look at the CP as a whole.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on October 07, 2013, 07:47:03 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 05:29:43 AM

The sad fact is that we are so undermanned that the extra experience the average cadet would get being in
a grade longer winds up being just that, time, with little else to show for it.

Are we undermanned?

To me, asking that question implies that we are always turning away missions because we cannot do them. With the three missions that we have, which one are we turning away?

My personal observation is as follows:

• Cadet programs - we meet weekly and work with the cadets regularly. Nothing is being skipped and we're even adding weekend special activities to the point where we have stuff happening on at least two weekends a month.
  • Aerospace Education - Do it with the cadets regularly and are available to any local school or organization that wants us to come. I have not seen us turn away a request yet, but on the other hand, there have not been more than one or two over the past year.
  • Search and Rescue - we've been activated twice this year and went out when called.

What part of that shows undermanning?  Maybe the real problem is that we really do not have all the major missions these days? From reading CAPTalk, I see lots of bemoaning of doing less and less SAR...

Do you have at least two people in each staff job? And all jobs filled?

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 10:54:24 PM

No, not all, but most.

Yes.

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on October 07, 2013, 11:41:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 10:54:24 PM

No, not all, but most.

Yes.

Well then you're one of the ones we keep next tribal council.

"That Others May Zoom"