James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Live2Learn

Interesting job description for the new paid safety assistant.  Heretofore it seemed that Ops and Safety were separate worlds.  The preferred aviation background for applicants is encouraging.  In my view, Safety and Ops should be words used in the same phrase of the same sentence... including oversight and all levels from the top to the bottom of the command chain.  I wonder where this might be headed?  I'm optimistic.  Too bad the duty station is at NHQ.  The job seems like one that could be based elsewhere, perhaps attached to a Region or Wing for admin support.

James Shaw

Quote from: Live2Learn on February 08, 2018, 10:50:08 PM
Interesting job description for the new paid safety assistant.  Heretofore it seemed that Ops and Safety were separate worlds.  The preferred aviation background for applicants is encouraging.  In my view, Safety and Ops should be words used in the same phrase of the same sentence... including oversight and all levels from the top to the bottom of the command chain.  I wonder where this might be headed?  I'm optimistic.  Too bad the duty station is at NHQ.  The job seems like one that could be based elsewhere, perhaps attached to a Region or Wing for admin support.

This posting for the new paid safety assistant and the National Safety Staff Committee volunteers combined should provide them with a good foundation of support. Good things around the corner for safety.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Looks like NHQ has published the names of the new NHQ Safety Staff. Looks like a great bunch of folks.

Meet the Team!

Your National Safety Staff

George Vogt, CAP/SE

As we begin to do more and more to enhance our Safety Program's emphasis on learning and using risk management, and we near completion of our new Safety Program regulation, I want to thank and introduce a few of the people who are helping that effort ... your National Safety Staff.

First of all, I'm fortunate to have four dedicated CAP members helping me on staff. These individuals have a wealth and variety of safety experience in CAP and in their non-CAP lives. They are the ones who make sure I don't lose sight of how our members throughout the country see the Safety Program and the help they need to make their jobs easier.

Col Mike Murrell brings a wealth of experience to the team. A former CAP wing commander, Col Murrell is currently the Glider Program Coordinator for the Southeast Region, and is Activity Director for the highly successful NFA-Southeast Region Glider Academy. He was also a member of the National Commander's cross-functional team on the CAP Glider Program.

Lt Col Sarah Wildman started her "career" with CAP as a cadet in the Maryland Wing. She has been a wing director of safety and currently serves as the North Central Region Director of Safety. In her "day job" she is a commercial pilot flying King Air 350s. She is a recent graduate of National Safety Officer College (NSOC) and brings a wealth of insights into aviation and cadet safety.

Lt Col Matt Cauthen is currently the Director of Safety for the Maryland Wing. Armed with bachelors and masters degrees in safety, he has worked for OSHA and then worked with the FAA in Safety Management System development. With his current employer he works as a Safety Engineer supporting the FAA's Air Traffic Organization's modernization program. He brings a wealth of technical SMS knowledge to the team.

Maj Paul Young is the Idaho Wing Director of Safety. He has been in CAP for about ten years, and is a recent graduate of NSOC. His "civilian" career brings a slightly different type of experience working for the Idaho Department of Corrections, specializing in incident response, and Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM); well versed in the "human" side of the safety equation.

Last but not least is the newest member of the NHQ staff, my Assistant Chief of Safety, Collin Kightlinger. Collin recently retired after a 20 year career in the Navy. He was a Naval Flight Officer serving as an Electronic Counter Measures Officer (ECMO) in the EA-6B Prowler, and also as a Weapons Systems Officer in the Tornado, seeing combat time in Southwest Asia while on an exchange tour with the RAF in Great Britain. He is a graduate of the Naval School of Aviation Safety, has experience in aircraft accident investigation, and was a wing flight safety officer at NAS Pensacola in his most recent assignment. We are already making great use of his extensive knowledge and experience.

I join all of you in welcoming this great team and I look forward to a lot of great things happening in the CAP Safety Program.
Jim Shaw