The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

Eclipse

^ why isn't the text in the rockers aligned properly?

"That Others May Zoom"

BigMojo

Well, after a change of Command and house cleaning, the new Command Staff decided the time was right for a new patch/emblem. After many designs, this is what was decided upon. Before anyone says anything, we know there is no bright blue or yellow, and we did not use any CAP emblems. These were conscious decisions, and this has been approved by the Wing Commander has been produced. So here it is, along with the heraldry....

Image snipped, see post below - MIKE

Mascot: The Florida Panther. The Florida panther was chosen as he represents the apex predator of Everglades, our "operational home". He is known for his cunning, swiftness, and ability to adapt. He never fails in finding his quarry. All traits we try to exemplify in our Emergency Services / SAR missions. He is intelligent and knows his home like none other, intelligence we want to portray in our Aerospace Education. The panther is also a doting and committed parent, raising and teaching their young to great
lengths the skills needed later in life, this is the goal of our Cadet Programs.

Emblem: The base of the emblem is that of the darkest blue of night sky, the same sky where we fly, and under which we perform our missions. Strewn across the sky, is a field of stars, 16 of them. There are 11 small stars representing the number of cadet achievements and 5 large ones representing the major cadet milestones. Situated large and in the center of the emblem is our mascot, the Florida panther, he is seen scanning the environment searching for his quarry. The panther is stalking through a sea of sawgrass, the dominant environment of the Everglades which makes up the majority of our territory. In the top rocker is written "SWIFT, SILENT, AND VIGILANT", our motto (explained below). The bottom rocker contains our name, "Fort Lauderdale Composite Squadron".

Motto: "SWIFT, SILENT, AND VIGILANT". This is expanded in meaning in so much as we aim to be swift in our duties, silent, always aware of our surroundings-listening, never complaining, and vigilant to our environment and our missions.

Colors: Colors are two tones of Khaki, representing the colors of the "sea of grass", and the color of earth. Khakis represent honesty, steadfastness, and strength. It is also a salute to our history and uniforms of the early Civil Air Patrol. Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, and freshness. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Blue the color of the sky, representing where we complete our missions, It is often associated with depth and stability. Dark blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness. White is associated with light, goodness, innocence, and purity. It is considered to be the color of perfection, our goal overall.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Shotgun

Quote from: BigMojo on June 12, 2008, 06:57:11 PM
Well, after a change of Command and house cleaning, the new Command Staff decided the time was right for a new patch/emblem. After many designs, this is what was decided upon. Before anyone says anything, we know there is no bright blue or yellow, and we did not use any CAP emblems. These were conscious decisions, and this has been approved by the Wing Commander has been produced.

I  like the non traditional design. Very cool!

I'd love to see a picture of the path when you get them. It will be interesting to see how the designs looks embroidered.

RiverAux

QuoteMotto: "SWIFT, SILENT, AND VIGILANT". This is expanded in meaning in so much as we aim to be swift in our duties, silent, always aware of our surroundings-listening, never complaining, and vigilant to our environment and our missions.

I know you're just trying to come up with a way to justify ripping off the Force Recon motto, so I'm going to assume that you don't actually try to be silent in the field....

GT task 0-0406 (Use Whistle Signals)

GT task O-0407 (Conduct Attraction Techniques)Task guide quote: "Stealth is not a good thing on the search line."

Eclipse

Sweet design, very original, though FWIW I probably would have gone with "swift and vigilant", although silence on the search line is what is needed - too much chatter=distracted searchers.

"That Others May Zoom"

BigMojo

On the Motto...I went with the group, and trust me it was better than anything else they came up with!

Patch:

MODS: Can you please modify my previous post with the image linked from the one in this post...I deleted the other image in my photobucket by mistake :doh:
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

mikeylikey

^ Thats sweet!  "look out......behind you".  I prefer spider monkeys, but hey everyone is different when it comes to animals to use on their patches.
What's up monkeys?

Shotgun

Quote from: BigMojo on June 13, 2008, 01:12:20 PM

Patch:

The transition form vector art to embroidered patch turned out pretty well.
I was initially thinking that the grass would be the hard part but it looks. But it looks good.

It's too bad the two sizes of the stars didn't come out more distinctly.

It looks great though! It's a great tool to promote your squadron!

Are you going to make them available to collectors?

BigMojo

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 13, 2008, 02:45:52 PM
^ Thats sweet!  "look out......behind you".  I prefer spider monkeys, but hey everyone is different when it comes to animals to use on their patches.

At least it's not a <expletive deleted> snake!

pkloehn: Thank you...the scan didn't come out as well as I would have liked. The green is much more "green" than what the scan shows. I agree on the stars, that's my only disappointment in how it came out.  I must say it looks pretty sharp on both the BDU and the BBDU.

I might have a couple left for collectors soon, but I need to make sure everyone in the squadron is outfitted first.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

Talon One Six

heres a few of the ones i have been trying to make for plainfield

final version

C/Captain
XO Plainfield Cadet Squadron NJ-102

mikeylikey

^ Attack of the Killer High School Mascots.  JK!  Not bad work........then again, Neon Green?!?!

AND PLEASE What ever you decide on, DO NOT USE "Blue Falcons".

PM me for a meaning of Blue Falcon, if you don't know what that means.   
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

ewww, a quick search confirms not to use it....

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Blue Falcons   :o

In any case, re: your "final design" - thanks for choosing to use the proper shape for a squadron (disc with rockers). 

The gradient will likely transition poorly to stitching (always think of the final medium of application for a graphic).

It's ill-advised and not consistent with traditional AF heraldry guidelines to put text into your field.

Motto goes on the top rocker, squadron designation on the bottom.

The small CAP shield and AF symbol will not show up well at any small size, nor will it represent well once stitched.  You probably won't even be able to recognize the CAP command shield.  Stay away from using small details in patches, as they will more than likely get lost once embroidered.

Good start, though.  Lots of bright colors. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on July 06, 2008, 04:07:41 AM
Blue Falcons   :o

LMAO because I know what it means... Maybe it's appropriate for that unit... you never know.  >:D

What do F-16s, F-4s, falcons, cardinals, phantoms etc have to do with a CAP Cadet Squadron in Plainfield New Jersey besides looking/sounding cool?
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

You should also take the time to shape text properly, if you don't have the tools or skills necessary, find or pay someone who  does (and a double exposure in the text areas will never render properly when sewn.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The final version is a nice ripoff of the 517th Airlift Squadron's patch.
Maybe you should send them a copy of your proposed patch and see if they have any problems with it?

BuckeyeDEJ

My opinion on the Plainfield art above?

Scrap them all. And here's why.

First off, they are emblems in search of a motto, mission and unit, and it should be the other way around. The emblem should reflect the unit's missions and motto, if any. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Secondly, you're stealing other people's identities. Isn't that the Ball State University cardinal logo? And do I not see parts of the 1 FW emblem in a couple of the pieces?

Think about what YOUR UNIT is and does, and how it should be reflected. THEN start thinking about an emblem.

I know this sounds brutal, but they're way off base. Please take my advice, and come back with something truly original.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Major Carrales

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 06, 2008, 09:02:17 PM

First off, they are emblems in search of a motto, mission and unit, and it should be the other way around. The emblem should reflect the unit's missions and motto, if any. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Secondly, you're stealing other people's identities. Isn't that the Ball State University cardinal logo? And do I not see parts of the 1 FW emblem in a couple of the pieces?

Think about what YOUR UNIT is and does, and how it should be reflected. THEN start thinking about an emblem.

I know this sounds brutal, but they're way off base. Please take my advice, and come back with something truly original.

While you have a point, I think that might have best been handled in PM.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Talon One Six

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 06, 2008, 09:02:17 PM

i used te school offical mascot for the cardinals logo, the 1st FW because several of out members are formerly apart of the wing, including my father, the Falcon was choosen as  we wanted an animal with keen eyesight as  in SAR, a bird since we are a big AE squadron, and also becuase the vast majority of our sqaudron want to fly vipers with the air force,  a lesser point is the NJ Air Guard uses F-16's and used to use F-4's at Mcguire, which is also tied to us via my father

as for thr 517th, the only thing i used from their patch was the bird, each rocker and the circle are from three differnt patches

C/Captain
XO Plainfield Cadet Squadron NJ-102

PHall

Quote from: Talon One Six on July 06, 2008, 09:44:09 PMas for thr 517th, the only thing i used from their patch was the bird, each rocker and the circle are from three differnt patches

If you look at the 517th patch you will notice that your patch layout matches almost exactly and that the only major difference is that you used black as your background color while the 517th used white.

The round patch with the rockers is the standard squadron patch shape, if you're following the design guidlines.